Wolvie Fanfiction: The Meaning of Pain

I really like your story! Is't very interesting.. So good!!! :):) I mean, it only took me 3 days to get update.. Even read it in some of my classes, which properly wassen’t very smart, ‘cause I can’t even remember what the teacher was talking about … Maybe I should just stop bringing my computer… I always get distracted.

I really like your story! Is't very interesting.. So good!!! :):) I mean, it only took me 3 days to get update.. Even read it in some of my classes, which properly wassen’t very smart, ‘cause I can’t even remember what the teacher was talking about … Maybe I should just stop bringing my computer… I always get distracted.

Wow! A review on this site! It's a good thing you spoke up; I'm just about to post the next chapter, and I wasn't going to update on this site because I haven't seen any sign of a living soul around here for months. So thanks for speaking up. Hopefully your grade didn't suffer too much.

I'm glad you're liking the story! :)

Very short chap this time around, but this week has been crazy and I wanted to make sure I didn’t go two weeks without posting. Next week’s will be longer, I promise.

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------

Chapter 45: Time after Time

--------------------------------------------

Now:

Logan didn’t waste his first breath on words, but rocketed forward. Bloodscream twisted around his strike—moving so fast he was nearly a blur. He didn’t even bothering to pull out the sword strapped on his back.

Logan let his momentum carry him through into another turn, and Bloodscream barely caught his elbow before it slammed into his face. Wolverine ducked under his arm, slashing at his side, but the vampire jumped—twisting over his arm and vaulting over his shoulders to land on his other side, but Logan was ready for him. He spun, turned, and jumped, scissor-kicking at his face. Bloodscream blocked his blows at a blur, but Logan’s boot slammed into his chin and he staggered back, briefly off balance.

Logan drilled in, but the vampire lunged forward, inhumanly fast. He snapped out with clawed fingers, slashing red across Logan’s arm. Wolverine growled, snapping out with his claws, but the vampire grabbed his forearms with his bare palms.

Fire raced up his arms and Logan snarled, trying to twist back, but he’d been right with his assessments the day before; the bastard had been feeding—growing stronger. His grip was like burning steel.

“At laaast,” Bloodscream hissed softly, spittle flecking from his mouth. His breath reeked of decaying meet. “Your kind has a sweet taste—the girl tastes like fire and ashes.”

“You need to taste a tic tac, bub,” Logan gritted out. He used the vamp’s grip and lifted his feet off the ground, kicking out as his weight bore them both down. He hit Bloodscream right in the chest, and the bastard slammed against the wall, the mortar cracking behind him as Logan rolled onto his feet. The heat from the burning handprints on his arms dimmed behind the heat of his wrath.

“You shouldn’t’a touched her,” Logan said softly, stalking forward slowly.

Bloodscream smiled, wiping his mouth with the back of his arm.

“You always did have an odd protectiveness over mortals,” the gaunt man smiled. His teeth weren’t human—elongated, his jaw too stretched to pass. The madness that had glittered in his eyes before now shone like a burning sun. “You cannot fight me. I have spent these months healing, waiting, building my strength and power. But I can smell it on you.” Wolverine twisted in again, cutting down and across, but Bloodscream blocked both and kicked out, and Logan dodged backwards, spinning back again. The vampire’s grin widened. “You’re changing. You smell like a beast—I smell it like lightning on the air.”

He bolted in, his motions so quick that Logan barely had time to tense before a kick to his gut sent him slamming into the wall. He thudded against it, a roundhouse kick catching the side of his head. He staggered, barely warding off an attacking blow with a swipe of his claws, before Bloodscream dived in and gripped his face, splashing blood across his brow as his fingers pierced through his neck, his cheeks—jamming up against the metal of his mandible. Logan roared.

Bloodscream wheeled back with a shriek as Logan sliced through both of his wrists, and Logan gasped, wrenching the still-twitching fingers from his face. He raised his eyes, just in time to wheel back as Bloodscream lunged in for his face again—pale arms already whole.

Crap.

Bloodscream whipped around driving down again, and Logan stumbled—already off-balance as he swiped another blow aside. He reached out, catching himself with one hand before he fell, but Bloodscream took advantage of his unbalance. In one fell swoop, he drew his sword from its sheath and sliced his throat deep enough that Logan swore felt the blade ricochet off his backbone.

He fell forward, the world suddenly narrowing into a small, surreal whirl of senseless noise and light. Blood gurgled in his mouth, and he was vaguely aware of bringing his hands up to try and stem the gush of blood as his vision blurred.

Lights flashed before his eyes—he squeezed them shut as his own blood sputtered over his cheek against the carpet. A roaring filled his ears, fading, fading . . . . .

Thu-thump. Thu . . . thump . . . .

Dying? He couldn’t feel the vamp’s hands, but maybe that was it—maybe he was too far gone. Numbing. . . .

Something snapped back—nerves reconnecting in a jolt that made Wolverine’s eyes snap open and his lungs seize in a gasp of agony that was choked off by blood and wheezing. He pressed his hands against the gaping hole in his windpipe.

Sound returned like a wave—smashing into his ears like fireworks going off. Wait . . . .

A twitch of his shoulders let him see—Jubilee was standing before him, both hands held out palms-out before her. Pale as death, a burning hand marred her bloodless neck. But Bloodscream was rising from a heap against the wall, skin crawling back over a seared hole in his smoking chest.

Kid was fighting?! She could barely stand!

Logan used his arms to push himself up, not even waiting until his neck muscles grew back to rise. His head lolled unsteadily as he popped his claws again.

Kid had guts, but they wouldn’t do her any good spilled all over the floor.

Jubilee shot a wide-eyed stare at him, but her legs shook and she stepped back, grabbing the banister as her legs gave out beneath her.

Logan felt the world tip, but rather than fighting he went with it, bearing down on Bloodscream with his full weight. The first slash caught Bloodscream’s hand, whipping his sword across the floor, and Logan dug his claws into his chest, tearing sideways as foul blood sprayed across his face, but Bloodscream laughed. “I’m going to kill you, and then I’m going to kill these brats. Every. Last. One.” He emphasized each last word with a strike.

The last blow sent Logan sprawling—he slid across the polished floor, and Bloodscream followed, driving down. Logan barely caught his arms before he grabbed his face, and out of the corner of his eye he caught Jubilee’s stare. The kid’d managed to drag herself against the wall, one hand pressed against her bleeding neck—barely conscious, by the look of it.

Logan looked at Bloodscream, the muscles on his arms standing out from the strain of keeping his hands away from his face. “Go—to hell,” he rasped.

BAMF!

Sulfur mixed with the stink of blood, and something slammed down onto Bloodscream’s shoulders. Bloodscream twisted, focusing on a new target, but Nightcrawler was gone, dangling from the overhead chandelier.

“Sorry I’m late,” Kurt said, his tail whipping agitatedly behind him. “I did not realize ve had a guest.”

Bloodscream snarled, leaping up as if defying gravity, and Nightcrawler bamfed to the wall, his fingers finding hold in the trim above the door as Bloodscream landed with a sound not unlike an angry cat, swaying on his feet like a snake as he readied to lunge again.

“No need to be rude,” Kurt rebuked, bamfing in and catching the vamp with a side kick before transporting away in a cloud of putrid smoke as Logan regained his feet.

Kurt might have started out as a circus-performer-turned-monk, but between whatever Stryker had done with him and with more recent training in the Danger Room, Kurt wasn’t half bad.

No, Logan thought as Kurt flashed around the vampire, who was now hissing in pure agitation as he whipped around, trying and failing to catch the ubiquitous blue elf’s multi-directional blows. Kurt wasn’t bad at all.

“Elf!” Logan shouted, diverting Bloodscream for a moment as Nightcrawler burst into being in front of him, laying a kick to his chest that sent him flying back towards Logan. The vamp screeched as Wolverine’s claws raked across his face, biting deep and marring bone and sinew.

Bloodscream staggered back, putting his back against the wall as Nightcrawler appeared on the floor—crouching and ready to move again.

“Logan—” Kurt said, eying his friend with concern as the world tilted briefly for him again.

Logan bore his teeth, not looking away from the vamp. “You mistake one helluva mistake, comin’ here, bub.”

Bloodscream was still grinning, despite his jaw hanging slant—half-ripped from his face, and his nose crawling back into place from where it was smeared across his right cheekbone. “You think you’re safe here, with your little friends? You woke up a lot of ghosts by coming back, ol’ Patch,” the vampire hissed, his teeth glistening with blood. “You should have stayed dead. They’ve been waiting to see what you have been planning these years, but they’re done waiting. The devil and all hell’s going to come out of the darkness for you, now.”

Logan grabbed the front of the creature’s shirt, pulling him up and bringing his own bared teeth close. Red drops of his own blood dripped onto the mess of Bloodscream’s face. “Let them come.”

Wolverine didn’t see the blow coming. The backhand hit the side of his head, whipping his head around hard enough that it would have knocked a normal man’s head right off. The force knocked him back—spinning him through the air. The air left his lungs in a rush as he hit the wall and blasted clean through it. It took him a second to figure out which way was up, and when he had Bloodscream was on him, grasping his throat as Nightcrawler slammed into the floor—unconscious from a single, unseen blow from the speed of it.

“Playtime has been fun, Patch, but it’s time to sleep now. Long past your time.”

“Logan!” Rogue was floating over the banister, her hair framing her furious and horrified expression. “Get yah hands offa him!”

Logan didn’t have the breath or time to shout a warning.

Rogue blurred downward, throwing a punch that would’ve done the Hulk proud. Bloodscream’s head rammed against the doorframe, splintering the wood. Rogue grabbed his shirt, pulling him up. “You’re the one who won’t die, are ya? This’ll teach you to mess with the X-Men!”

She threw another punch, but with his inhuman strength and speed Bloodscream caught her bare arm, and they both arched back, the hall echoing with screams.

“Aaaaah!” Rogue screamed, flying back against the wall with force enough to crack it. She grabbed her head as she choked. “Hgh!”

Bloodscream was reeling, holding his own head as he keened wildly. As Logan watched, his skin began to flake and dry, and the stench of decay grew.

Logan grabbed the vampire’s collar and jerked his clawed fist clean through the bastard’s chest. Bloodscream gagged, his pale eyes bulging with pain and horror. He grasped Wolverine’s arm to pull it out—but hadn’t the strength to move him an inch. “No—” he gasped. “No—the prophecy—”

“Sorry, bub—I don’t give a damn about that mumbo-jumbo crap.”

Her jerked his fist out of the vamp’s chest and sliced clean through his neck. Bloodscream’s head tumbled to the ground, and Wolverine kicked it across the hall, letting it roll underneath the piano in the adjoining room. He heard it bounce off the wall with a light thud.

He didn’t care about that right now, but moved quickly to Rogue’s side and dropped down beside her, ignoring the new arrivals and the soft curses and gasps as the student came, drawn by the noise. Bobby swore, sliding across the floor towards them, but then stopping himself before coming too close.

Rogue lay with broken bricks about her, but her eyes were open wide. “Rogue! Talk to me, kid.”

No response. She was stiff and shaking as Logan lifted her out of the rubble. Something was happening to her skin—it was flaking slightly, her complexion ashen. “Darlin’?”

“H-he felt like y-you, Logan.” Her brow furrowed, her eyes on his face, but her sight turned inward. “But . . . somethin’s wrong. No . . . somethin’s not . . . . right . . . argh!” Her eyes rolled up into her head.

“Kid!”

The stink of decay was growing—from Rogue, and before his eyes the skin on her cheeks began to grey and flake.

“Damn!" Logan didn’t spare a thought to his own wounds. He grabbed Rogue’s sleeved forearm, but Jubilee caught his shoulder. He hadn’t noticed her stagger over.

“Are you crazy?” Jubilee said, seeing his intention.

Logan didn’t bother to reply. He didn’t hesitate to bring Rogue’s hand up to his bloodstained face—skin-on-skin.

The feeling was almost familiar at this point—like someone had reached into his chest and grabbed hold of his heart. He gasped as blood flooded into his mouth as healing wounds stopped their closure, flooding his throat with blood.

“No!”

His eyes snapped open as Rogue’s hands jerked back. Her eyes were open again—staring at him, but as if out of a dark haze: she seemed to struggle to keep focused on his face. “No. No—L-logan—”

Her head lolled back and she stared at the ceiling unseeingly. “Rogue? Rogue! Dammit.” The scent of decay had faded slightly, but was still there—and already increasing again.

The world reeled around him and Logan threw out an arm to keep himself from keeling clean over. Bobby instinctively reached out to catch him, but one look made him change his mind. “Ice—freeze him,” Logan snapped--albeit groggily as he nodded to Bloodscream’s corpse. “Pete, you and Sam get the elf and Sparks down to the medlab—”

“I’m fine,” Kurt spoke, rising groggily with one hand pressed against his bleeding crown. “At least, it can vait.”

Jubilee hadn’t moved, a hand to the bleeding side of her neck. She was ghostly pale against her shock of yellow coat and black hair. “W-wolverine . . . .”

The kid could talk—she’d be fine. More than he could say about himself. Rogue was shaking again, and he reached down to pick her up.

Logan ripped off his jacket and wrapped it around the southern girl, lifting her and pushing through the group. The world spun—the lights turning black around him, but he’d felt worse. He hit the elevator button with his elbow, not waiting for any students to catch up.

Rogue jerked in his arms, and he tightened his grip, wondering if she’d lift him right off the ground, through the elevator shaft, and through the roof—metal bones and all—if she decided to take to the skies.

“Hold on, ace,” he gritted, gripping her tighter as he fought to stay conscious himself.

Beast had been in his room, but he hobbled into the medlab just seconds after Logan, even with his crutch and bandages.

“What happened?”

“Absorbed a vamp,” Logan said, eyes not leaving her face. “Something ain’t right. Can’t ya smell it?”

Beast said nothing, but his glance confirmed that he could. He pulled on gloves over his furred hands.

“I’ll take her vitals, see what’s happening inside that may be causing the outer deterioration.” He pulled out a blanket, laying it over Rogue to keep her warm before glancing up over his glasses. “For God’s sake, Logan, sit down before you fall down and dent something.” He moved towards Rogue, already working.

Logan ignored him, standing over Rogue and watching the ashen grey crawl up from her high collar once again. The stink of decay was growing thick again.

Vamps were dead, right? What kinda powers could you absorb from a dead guy?

Nothing good, it looked like.

“Talk to me, Hank,” Logan demanded, leaning against the table across from him.

“I told you to sit down,” Beast said, scribbling down her pulse. He glanced up as Jubilee came in, Kitty and Bobby supporting her from each side. Hank moved away to hook her up to a blood transfusion with expert motions, and glanced cursorily at Kurt and Colossus before having the elf sit to the side.

“I’ll be with you in a moment. Kitty, get Jubilee a blanket from that drawer on the right. Keep her warm.”

Logan didn’t move, watching Rogue. Her face was growing ashen again, and he reached down, catching her bare fingers with his own.

The world reeled. He was barely aware as his knees slammed onto the floor, until Beast’s giant hands caught him, pulling him away.

“Damn it, Logan!”

Logan swallowed a mouthful of blood. “I’m fine,” he rasped, fighting the darkness to get back up on his feet. He caught the edge of the table, dragging himself up and shrugging away from Hank roughly. “Tell me what you’ve got, Beast.”

Beast adjusted his glasses and looked down at his chart.

“Give me a minute, friend,” he said, his voice heavy. “Give me a minute.”

TBC . . . .

Okay, this isn’t a super long chapter, but it is about 1/3 longer than the last—so I kept my promise for having a longer chapter. :) And I have to say—consider how crazy life with my new job has been this first term of school, I’m patting myself on the back for the progress I’m making.

I hope you enjoy the chapter. And as always, please, please, please review. You can say your favorite part of the story or chapter, quote your favorite lines, tell me about my typos (I do try to catch them, but I know some slip by), hypothesize about what’s going to happen next . . . or just say “HI!” Just please review! :)

---------------------------------------------------

Chapter 46: Putting it on the Table

-------------------------------------------------

Now:

Jubilee rested on the second table in the med lab; Kurt had left soon after being cleared with only a minor concussion—he headed upstairs to recreate some semblance of order, take care of the body, and find out how, exactly, Bloodscream had made his way past security. Beast had gone to his files, pulling out notes and flipping through them before finally turning to Logan with a grim expression and a grimmer explanation.

Deteriorating. That’s what Beast called it. Not exactly a medical term, but it carried its meaning well enough, even to Logan’s fevered mind as his body struggled to heal with a healing factor that he was lending out for two.

Beast cleared his throat before continuing gravely. “Realize this is just hypothetical, but . . . before Jean died, we discussed the concern of the possibility of Rogue being . . . overrun, by absorbed personalities.”

“What?” Logan snapped. Something liquid slid down the side of his face and burned his eye. Sweat or blood, he didn’t know—and ultimately didn’t care.

“It’s just a theory,” Beast explained, adjusting an IV he’d fitted to Rogue’s arm. “Along that line . . . it seems that that Rogue’s body may not be strong enough to hold two fully developed personalities in tandem. She’s lasted this long well enough—and I predict that we owe that good fortune to both Rogue and Carol Danvers’ trust in you, Logan—but the assault of recent consciousnesses have disrupted the fragile balance.”

Logan looked down at Rogue’s face, ignoring how she seemed to swim before his vision; he didn’t have time right now to rest. She’d gone still—the fight withdrawing into her mind, though a grey tinge remained to her skin, growing deeper like ash as he watched. “English, Hank,” Logan said, leaning heavily on the table.

Beast pulled his glasses off and cleaned them with a handkerchief. “Frankly speaking, if either Rogue or Carol Danvers doesn’t give up soon, Logan, I fear that neither of them are going to survive.”

Logan looked down at Rogue again. His throat hurt—felt like trying to swallow a razor blade, and tasted like blood. Course, he was probably still bleeding; he wasn’t exactly giving his healing factor a chance to catch up. He gritted his teeth.

“Screw that,” Logan said, reaching forward to catch her bare hand again. The tugging sensation returned and he gasped as ice stabbed through his veins. His legs collapsed under him, and Beast barely caught him, pulling him back out of the echoing, dark tunnel of unconsciousness.

“That is enough,” Beast said, as Logan tried to pull out of his grip and almost collapsed on the floor. Hot copper burned his throat, and he choked softly as he shrugged Beast away. “You are killing yourself, and addressing the symptoms, not the cause. It’s possible you’re even making it worse.”

“What the hell d’ya want me to do?” Logan said through the blood, knees nearly on the floor and fingers hard against the table to keep himself from falling clean over. With the words the taste of blood grew, but he swallowed it back down, gritting his teeth harder until it hurt. In his weakened state his words sounded embarrassingly like he was pleading.

“Wait,” Beast said. He grabbed the nearby chair, dragging it towards him and lowering himself onto it with a tired sigh. He looked a bit pale blue to Logan as he glanced upward at him. Guess the guy’s been half beat to death just a few days ago. Not everyone healed as fast as he did.

Long couple’a days.

“You okay?”

Beast glanced at him. “I must admit that I have felt somewhat better,” he replied honestly. “Though you are hardly one to ask.”

Logan frowned, planting his feet more firmly as he realized he was wavering slightly: no wonder the room felt a bit off balance. He looked down at Rogue’s calm face, pushing some of the hair away from her eyes and being extra careful not to touch skin. He frowned as blood from his hands turned her hair darker, and he pulled back, seeing his blood on her hands and arms where he’d touched for the first time. It was stark against her pale, fading skin.

He turned suddenly and made for the door, reaching out to catch the wall to help himself along. “Keep an eye on her,” he gritted.

“Where are you going?”
“I can’t help her, and if I have to go to hell to make a deal with the devil to help her, then I will.” He paused at the door, holding onto the frame as if pulling together the energy to move forward. “I’m gonna make a phone call.”

He didn’t stick around long enough for Beast to ask for an explanation.

Logan leaned against the side of the elevator as it went up—but stepped out as soon as the doors pinged open. He strode down the hall, vision spotty, but he blinked it aside, gritting his teeth at the white explosions of pain at every step.

Logan reached a shaking hand into his newly tattered coat he’d taken back from Rogue, but he was out of cigars. Damn. If it rains, it pours.

He threw open the headmaster’s office, not bothering to close it behind him.

He could still smell the professor, Jean, Scott—and over it all, Ororo: all dead or missing. He ignored it all, slamming drawers open and closed until he found the folders and pulled them out. He immediately discarded the top two on the desk, and pulled one out near the back. He flipped it open, scanning over it briefly.

So she could teach. Apparently taught almost everything at her Academy before it was blown to hell. Administration experience, met with some high-ranking government bastards a few times. Field experience was short and undetailed:

Member and leader of exclusive mutant group. Experienced with diplomacy and on the field as needed.

Vague. But he supposed putting: “I kicked your asses and can do it again” probably wouldn’t have gone over well with Storm.

He could do worse.

Maybe.

Didn’t matter right now. All that mattered was the third line, written in a cool, elegant hand.

Class four telepath.

He snagged the phone and dialed the number.

“Emma Frost speaking.”

“How serious were you about teachin’ at Xavier’s, Frost?”

There was a pause—he’d obviously taken her unexpectedly.

“Who is this?”

“You’re a telepath—can’t you tell?”

“It’s not a habit of mine to muck around in every common mind I come across,” she said, her voice chilling a few dozen degrees.

Good. She was either more ethical than Ororo’d given her credit for or she was smart enough to lie. Knowing what he did of her, it was probably the latter.

“The name’s Logan.”

“The Wolverine?” So she’d done some research. Good for her.

“No, the gardener,” he said. “Listen, Frost—I ain’t got the time or care for any sweet talk. I wanna know how interested you are in the job.”

Another silence. Good. She was thinking before she answered. Either that or she was debating whether to hang up on him or not.

“I want the job,” she said at last, the false chick voice gone, though the stiff, upper-class snobbery remained.

“Good. I want you here as soon as you can get here, got it?”

“Fine. With my resources I can be to your little school in an hour and a half or less.”

“Make it less. Oh, and Frost? You ain’t got the job yet, so try to make a better impression than the last guys.”

There was a soft, almost sultry laugh. He frowned, wondering if she’d taken the time to read his mind to find the story behind that. “Of course, Wolverine. Can I at least bring my bags?”

“Jus’ realize you might be draggin’ them right back out.”

“You’re a sweetheart,” she said dryly.

“Don’t hurt yourself. See you in an hour.”

------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

Then:

Wolverine kept control of the helicopter until they’d landed. The man James contacted base and cleared their entrance, and directed him down. The copter settled like a dream.

James hopped stood and went to the back, and Wolverine struggled briefly with undoing his seatbelt before repacking his jerky and picking up the backpack that Heather had given him. The soldiers and Remy had already exited the chopper, and Heather was waiting for him, her scent sharp with worry.

For him? Or of him?

He frowned, looking away from her and towards the base. He clenched his jaw and stepped out into the sunlight.

The rotor had gone silent, and now he could hear clearly the rumbling of passing machines—like cars, but bigger. Gun oil and gunpowder bit at his nose, but over that—people. They were everywhere, and he could feel eyes on him like the time he’d fallen asleep on a hill of biting red ants. It hadn’t taken long to heal, but the bites had burned like fire, and he hadn’t been able to cut the little devils with his claws.

Gas. Smoke. Fire. Humans.

Metal. Brightness. Noise. Sweat. Guns.

It burned his eyes, seared his nose, and cut into his throat. He took a step back into the shadow before he could stop himself, gasping, but each breath only filled his lungs with more choking air. He tried to swallow the rising nausea, but it caught halfway down.

Run!

“Wolverine?”

Heather. Her voice was nothing beside the roaring of people—like a bee of hives, but more pervasive—drowning out the silence at every pitch imaginable. But he could hear her.

Smell her.

That’s right. She smelled like flowers. Like lavender. A hint of mountain air had sunk into her hair and still lingered there.

He focused on her, breathing through his mouth as he shut his eyes briefly and focused on unclenching his fists. He could still smell her worry, but she was something to focus on in the overwhelming sensory dump.

She’d been worried about this. She’d talked to him because she thought he couldn’t handle it.

But he could smell the kid too, hovering nearby nervously—a peek showed him shifting from one foot to another and watching him uncertainly, as if ready to jump in front of him or run in the opposite direction.

The man—James. Mac. He was standing, talking to an older soldier that smelled of strange-smelling smoke. Mac didn’t smell worried at all. Didn’t smell afraid.

Wolverine frowned, hunching his shoulders and glaring down the two younger soldiers who had accompanied them. They looked away quickly. An older soldier took an extra couple seconds, but he looked away too. There seemed to be dozens of other eyes crawling up his back, but he glared away as many as he could.

“Are you okay?” Heather asked. Wolverine glanced at her questioningly, and she clarified. “Just . . . with everything here, and you attacked like you were.” She paused. “You know, those were bad men that did that. Bad men that hurt you. Not . . . not these soldiers.”

Wolverine looked at her, aware for the first time of the sweat that had beaded on his forehead. It was warm, but not that warm, and he brushed it away quickly.

He shrugged, looking almost bored. “C’n take ‘em,” he said, glancing around. Remy chuckled—but it was knowing rather than mocking.

Heather glanced at the both of them, then followed Wolverine’s gaze as he took in the hangar, the humvees, the soldiers going about the day’s work. Was he acting tough, or was he serious?

However “fine” Wolverine claimed to be, Heather was as tense as a string about to snap as they started forward. The soldiers fell in close behind, but Wolverine turned and bared his teeth, popping his claws in a clear warning. They’d been briefed about the situation, but the soldiers couldn’t help but jump back in alarm; even Mac pulled back, staring.

Heather managed to talk him into putting them away—keeping her voice calm and steady despite her own nerves—and they walked on. Maybe it wasn’t all that safer, but it seemed less threatening.

The soldiers kept a better distance after that.

The idea was to get him comfortable first—or as comfortable as possible. Heather wished they’d taken him anywhere but this base—he seemed determined on glaring down anyone who he caught looking at him, and even if he adopted an air of nonchalance every time he saw her watching him, she could see the way his muscles tensed beneath the skin of his arms. He almost full-on attacked a security guard when he tried to take his backpack of jerky and crackers as they went through security.

Remy beat her that time—catching Wolverine’s shoulder and speaking quickly.

“Don’ worry, mon ami. Dere’s lots’a food here—and it not like dey gonna steal anything. Just give it up.”

Remy reached for the bag, but Wolverine bared his teeth at him and held it closer, retreating in his too-long pajama pants. The soldier stepped back, looking at James for orders.

“Just let him go,” James said. “The bag’s clear.”

They headed into the bustling hallway, the corridors clearing before them. James walked ahead of them, talking on his radio.

Heather hovered at Wolverine’s side, growing more and more nervous by the minute, though he seemed to grow colder and colder; his visible anxiety dissipating, his eyes flitting here and there with a sharpness that made her feel like he was mapping the place out.

For escape or attack?

Cold, but not calm. His fists remained clenched, and his shoulders quivered with tensed-up energy. Heather was glad the soldiers kept a good distance—she knew there was nothing she could do if something set him off. Not if Remy was telling the truth about what had happened in the woods.

Helicopters. Grenades. Machine guns. At first she’d thought it was youthful imagination, if she hadn’t seen Wolverine heal up from three gunshots to the face and chest within hours. Bullets might hurt him, but they didn’t frighten him, and she had a feeling they would hardly slow him down, if he panicked.

What were they thinking, bringing him here?

When Mac started talking about paperwork and tracking down Remy’s parents, Heather let them go—taking Wolverine to her part of the building. At least nobody else would be down there, and she could satisfy some of her curiosity at the same time until things settled down.

She pressed her palm against the keypad, scanning her prints in to unlock her lab before pulling the door open. Logan stopped stand-still as the filtered air from the lab breathed out onto him, his expression shifting the slightest bit for the first time in a good half an hour. Still, he followed her in without a word

Wolverine sneezed as she opened the door to the main lab. Funny; she couldn’t remember having heard him sneeze before.

Oh, except that first night—when he’d spilled the rubbing alcohol over himself.

It did kind of smell like disinfectant in here. Maybe he was extra sensitive to that?

Logan padded in, his feet still bare, and still dressed in the scrubs they’d found for him the day before. The pants dragged and the shirt was too long, but it still was a bit tight across his shoulders.

Shopping, Heather thought, immediately beginning to form a list in her head of what he would need. Pants, shirts, socks, shoes. Would Wolverine prefer boxers or briefs? She’d probably just have to get both and see what he decided he liked better.

She frowned inwardly. The list would stretch the already-tight budget that she and Mac were on. They were just barely coming out of the debt they’d collected after she’d lost her job protecting James’ project from becoming government property and him getting sent to jail. They had been given a stipend to start this team of his, but James’ suit didn’t make itself. She wondered what he would say if she asked if she could use some of his government funding to keep Wolverine clothed.

Knowing Mac, he wouldn’t mind at all. But Heather could already see the cogs moving in his head—he wanted Wolverine on the team, and while it might not be a bad idea . . . she didn’t want him stuck somewhere before he realized what it meant. Funding his living from the team’s budget would only reinforce that he was a part of it already, like everyone else was already assuming.

Wolverine had stopped at the door, and hadn’t moved since. His eyes were narrow, and his nose twitching. He looked half-ready to bolt.

“Come on in and sit down,” she said. “Come on. I’m not going to bite.”

Wolverine looked at her, and a glint of wildness faded. He stepped forward—his bare footsteps silent and oddly careful on the polished floor. Heather turned away, gathering her notes. “Just hop up on the table,” she said.

Wolverine stopped, frowning at her, then back at the metal table. His frown deepened.

“What’s the matter?”

He glanced at her. “Smells funny,” he answered at length.

Something was off. She looked at him carefully—was his skin a bit paler? Was that a sheen of sweat appearing on his forehead?

“Are you okay?” Heather asked suddenly, and then added, begrudgingly. “We don’t have to do this now.”

“’m fine.”

Heather wondered if he would make the same claim if he were on his death bed.

He hopped up onto the table, his feet dangling over the edge.

Wolverine shifted, feeling the sweat on his palms. He felt like his skin was trying to crawl from his bones, but he couldn’t say why.

Just a room. But it was too bright, too shiny. Too clean. Couldn’t smell a thing—the air burned his nose. He sat back, deceptively relaxed.

“I’m going to draw some blood, okay? Just a little; I’m going to run some tests.”

Wolverine shrugged, looking bored.

Heather drew out a syringe, and looked at him before taking his arm. He let her, fighting down the urge to rip his arm away and run out of the room, out of this base, and back into the woods.

What was there to be afraid of?

Heather watched his reaction as she turned his arm to get to his vein. “This is just going to pinch a bit,” she said. “It’ll just be a second. Are you . . . okay?”

“Fine.” Her hands were hot on his arm. Too hot. Burning.

Her hair smelled like lavender and evergreen. He fixed on it—breathing her in, watching her, blocking out everything else.

Heather nodded, but she smelled nervous as tied a band around his upper arm and located his vein. There was the smallest sting as the needle entered and she released the band—not even a bee sting—but Wolverine jolted as if shocked.

His claws sprang out of his fist and he jerked back sharply.

Heather jumped back, holding up her hands. “Whoa! Whoa, whoa. It’s okay. It’s okay, Wolverine. It’s okay.”

Wolverine’s eyes shot to Heather’s. He was pale, and his breath hoarse as if he’d run all day without a stop to drink. He looked strangely vulnerable as he looked up at her, sweat making his hair stick darkly around his face.

Wolverine blinked at her, seeming to come back to himself, and looked sharply down at his claws. He seemed almost surprised to see them, and they vanished with a loud snakt that made Heather jump.

“I . . . . I . . . “ He rubbed his fists with a jerky motion, and then noticed the needle still stuck dangling in the crick of his arm and went still—uncertain what to do. “Uh . . . Sorry.” He looked at Heather, holding his arm out for her.

He was still shaking slightly, but his reaction had seemed unconscious. Heather took a breath to slow her own pounding heart and stepped forward slowly. “I’m sorry,” she said. “Maybe we should do this later.”

“No,” Wolverine said, his voice low. “It’s fine.”

Still feeling as if she were doing something wrong, Heather reached forward for the needle. She pulled it out, hoping for an adequate sample, but the blood hadn’t even passed the needle before stopping dry. She looked down at his arm—not even the smallest mark from where she’d pulled the needle.

“Damn,” she said, turning away to put the needle back on the tray. She wondered if drawing blood like this would even work—or would his healing factor just stop the bleeding as soon as it started? Either way, this would have to wait for another day. He was going through enough already.

SNIKT!

Heather turned sharply at the sound, but Wolverine’s single popped claw had already cut cleanly through his wrist, and blood flowed from the wound over his hand. He held out his arm, the corners of his eyes tight from the pain, but his eyes themselves guileless.

“Oh my God!” Heather gasped, grabbing for a cloth and jumping forward to try and cover the wound. But Wolverine just held out his hand towards her as blood spread over his palm, pooling in dips and lines.

“It’s okay,” he said for the second time in as many minutes. “’s fer yer blood sample, Heather.”

Heather stared at his wrist, watching as the skin zipped itself up like a Ziploc baggy being pressed shut. Wolverine raised his eyebrows, standing and picking up the syringe from the tray and handing it to her. Heather took it numbly, but then twisted off the needle and held the vial out as Wolverine turned his palm and let the blood pour, and then drip into the small vial. It filled quickly, and a lone stray drop made its way down the outside of the vial.

Wolverine looked satisfied as Heather turned away, her hands shaking as she stopped the vial and put it on the tray. She turned back to him, pale.

“Don’t do that again!” she said. “We would have figured something out. There’s no need for you to go hurting yourself!”

Wolverine looked away, then shrugged. “Doesn’t matter.”

“It’s not healthy,” Heather emphasized, but Wolverine’s eyes were far away. She looked down at his wrist as the line where he’d cut himself finished sealing off, and before her eyes the scar thinned and was swallowed up by healthy, unmarred skin.

He was healing faster. It’d taken him hours to wake up from getting shot; he’d healed from cutting his wrist in seconds.

Despite herself, Heather realized that Wolverine had a point. Who was she to talk about health to somebody who could heal up from a life-threatening wound in a blink of an eye?

On the other hand, she’d never had a clearer picture of how wrong things were with him—to panic at a needle but to casually cut his own wrist without giving it a second thought.

God, Heather thought bleakly, looking down at the vial of blood and the drying stain on its side. What did they do to you, Wolverine?

------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t remember much about that first day. Just a blur of colors, faces, sights, smells. Blurrin’ together into a fog. Gotta admit, it . . . overwhelmed me a bit. Didn’t know what to think, let alone do. Just followed Heather.

She started a couple other tests. Don’t remember what—was too busy just sittin’ and tryin’ not to bolt to wonder what she was up to. Now I kinda wonder, though. She must’ve found out about the adamantium—unbreakable, and all that. But I don’t remember anyone ever mentionin’ it, not until I joined Xavier’s crowd and saw my whole skeleton for the first time. I figure Department H’s got a lot of info on me that I didn’t bother to find out before I left.

Mac came back. We ate in Heather’s office, away from the mess hall. Wasn’t feelin’ hungry, but I cleared my plate anyway. Said somethin’ about showin’ me to my room, but on the way Heather got called down. She didn’t want to go, but I said I was fine—wasn’t about t’say otherwise.

Heather touched my arm when she left—said she’d be back in the morning, an’ then she left and Mac took me to the room. A private bunk. A separate, plain room. Said the kid was bunked down in someplace similar. They let me keep the bag with the snacks, an’ left. Didn’t mind gettin’ left: was busy sniffin’ down the room, settling down. Was a bit tired after the whole day, and Mac had gone before I’d given it a second thought, closin’ the door behind him.

TBC . . .

Oh my, is it Christmas??

Thanks so much, haven’t had the time to read it yet, but I’m sure its good… always is:-)

Anyway just want to tell you, I love Kylee, she is so sweet. She’s a great character. Cut you maybe write a description of her. I would love to draw her, but don’t have the time to read it all again and take notes.. of cause I know the basic, green feline eyes, ears, but still.. Pretty please:D

Whoa! Two people speaking up from the abyss!

I have to tell you--the "hit" count on this thread hasn't been working for some time, so I have absolutely no idea how many people are reading this. Hearing from you two is definitely encouraging!

Dracofilia: I think you pretty much nailed Kylee's description on the head. Green feline eyes, ears. What I like to call "tabby" hair--a bit too orange to be red, and a bit striped, though not obviously. She likes her hair braided. A furred face, short whiskers. Furred hands with slightly pointed fingernails, but with definite, opposing-thumbed hands. When I picture her in my head, I see her walking around on her tip-toes a lot, rather than flat-footed like us clumsy humans.

Daviidwilson: Thanks for the quote! I assume that means you liked it. :) Thank you so much for speaking up!

Next chapter should be up in a few minutes.

All right. A bit shorter chapter again, but it’s the week of Halloween, so I’m calling in one of my many excuses. But short or no, I hope you enjoy. :)

Happy Halloween, everyone! Drop a review for me instead of the usual candy! ;)

---------------------------------------------------

Chapter 47: Always Watching Over You

----------------------------------------------------

Now:

Logan stared down at Emma Frost’s folder, a lit cigar held firmly between his teeth that he’d dug out from his secret stash in the kitchen. Good thing he kept a few handy: he wasn’t feeling up to taking the stairs at the moment.

He puffed away, frowning. The smoke burned his still-healing throat, but the scent made the world back up a hair, letting him breathe.

What in the world was he doing here?

Logan knew he wasn’t high-class material—not in morality, money, or manner. Storm had been—and still was, he insisted—a goddess: gorgeous, natural in her beauty, clean as summer rain.

Emma Frost was a Barbie Doll from hell.

Course she’d probably stab him in the eye with her high heel if he were to tell her so, so actually saying such a thing out loud was out of the question. She was cool, collected, and completely no-nonsense despite her perfectly manicured hands. She looked like a *****.

He liked her right from the start.

Though ‘liked’ probably wasn’t the right word. At least he figured he wouldn’t have to put up with much crap from her, and that sat just fine with him.

She wasn’t wearing the corset. He was glad; not like he minded the view, but the whole outfit was a bit too kinky. She’d swapped it for low-riding pants and a weird top that left her shoulders and stomach bare, with a sort of cape that fell around her back and arms—all white. It somehow took the ****ty look one step higher to something almost elegant. Lady had guts, and a good bod—and wasn’t afraid to show either.

“All righ’” Logan said, pulling his feet down from the desktop and slapping the folder down. “Here’re the ground rules. There’s no point in playin’ with my head—it’s already screwed to hell, so stay out of it. And no messin’ with the kids or I’ll kill ya. Any questions?”

“Your bluntness, crass as it is, is strangely refreshing, Mr. Logan.”

“Jus’ Logan,” he said. “You don’t got my respect, Frost. You gotta earn it.”

“Very well.”

He leaned forward. “I’m gonna lay it down to you right here. This place is a mess. I’m probably gonna get hell for callin’ you in, but I didn’t see any other choice. I gotta kid downstairs whose losin’ control of her powers. Touches people, absorbs their psyche or whatever the hell. You don’t get in there and sort everythin’ out, she dies.”

“I see,” Emma Frost said dryly, lifting a perfectly sculptured eyebrow. “And once I’ve ‘sorted everything out,’ I’ll be calling back my driver?”

“Was thinkin’ about it,” Logan said, standing. “Any other questions?”

The telepath stepped to the side, gesturing with her hand for him to lead. “’Wherever you go, I will go,’” she quoted.

A sarcastic little *****, wasn’t she?

He smirked.

Frost followed him into the hall, eyes tracing the lines of the house with an aloof expression. They didn’t speak as he pushed the button for the elevator, and she regarded him coolly as they descended. Logan ignored her, along with the itch of his blood drying down his chest. His throat still hurt like hell as it continued sealed its way back up, and he could still taste fresh blood as it leaked slowly from the shrinking seam. His healing factor was still playing catch-up after being leant out to Rogue.

Great first impression.

Had to hand it to Frost, though—she had barely blinked when he’d answered the door. Good at keeping her feet under her.

Wolverine stepped out first, jerking his thumb towards the room at the end of the hall as he spoke around his cigar.

“Cerebro’s there. Might let you play with it once I figure you’re not gonna make all our heads explode or whatever the hell. Danger Room, Med Lab,” Logan pointed each out, and then swept into the last named. “How she doin’?” he asked Beast, not missing a beat.

Beast looked up and blinked. He turned slowly on his crutch. “Ms. Frost,” he said, his voice as polite as ever, but there was a hard edge to his tone. “I was not aware that we were going to be having company.”

“I was invited here to help,” Emma said coolly, “where it is so clearly needed.” She eyed his bandages and cast, and glanced at Jubilee before stepping forward, eyes on Rogue. “It seems the X-Men are never short of those ready to hand them their righteous asses on a platter.”

Beast’s eyes narrowed, and Wolverine made to step forward, but Frost had already moved on, looking down at Rogue. “Absorbing psyches, you mentioned?” she said, glancing up briefly at Wolverine before looking down at Rogue. She flinched slightly, pulling back. “Ah, yes, they are there. My, it is a bit crowded in there.” She straightened, bringing a hand to her forehead. “And loud. An unruly lot, for sure.” She looked at Beast. “She absorbs personalities by touch? Would you mind filling me in, Dr. McCoy?”

Hank still looked like someone had ruffled his fur the wrong way, but he just adjusted his glasses and spoke. “She’s absorbed a number of personalities over the years,” he said. “Her first at age 16. A slight touch is all it takes—draining the touched of memories, personality, what can best be described as ‘life force’ . . . and in a mutant’s case, their powers as well. The length of the touch ascribes the length of the effect on her; the longest I had observed previously was barely more than a few hours.”

“A handy gift, and a powerful one. And our little darling let the power get to her head?”

“Hardly,” Beast said, voice short.

Frost listened as he and Logan recounted the events of the last two days—the fight with the Avengers, Rogue’s absorption of Ms. Marvel, and the results. And then the fight with Bloodscream, and her following deterioration.

“I believe it’s not Bloodscream himself that is the cause, but rather that he is the last of many, and the last straw to unbalance the entirety of Rogue’s mind,” Beast finished off.

Emma Frost nodded. “A sound conclusion. The focal point of this incident is clearly her run in with Ms. Marvel.” She looked over at Logan. “You said the Scarlet Witch said Ms. Marvel’s soul was taken?”

“Yeah, whatever that means,” Logan said. “We just can’t figure. She only absorbed her for a minute or so—she got stuck, or somethin’. It’s always faded after a while, but this time we hear this Danvers character’s still in the hospital—brain-dead, or somethin’, and Rogue’s got her powers strong as the first minute.”

“Hm. The abnormality may be due to the extraterrestrial aspect of Ms. Marvel’s powers. With the added supernatural aspect of the vampire, it appears that it may be beyond her mental strength to remain dominant.”

Logan took his cigar from his mouth. “Did you just say somethin’ about aliens, or is my hearin’ going out?”

Frost looked at him, half-exasperated, and half-haughtily. “Honestly, don’t you do any research, Wolverine, or do you always go into battle with both eyes shut?”

Logan bristled, but Beast interrupted, leaning on his crutch as he explained.

“Ms. Marvel’s powers came from an alien race . . . the Kree. She ended up absorbing a certain extraterrestrial’s powers. His name was Mar Vell.”

So she took the guy’s name? “Cute.”

“What Ms. Frost is suggesting is that Rogue’s condition and the dramatic effect of the absorption may be blamed on that very thing.”

“Their minds—they are mixed—in turmoil,” Emma Frost said, her eyes shut in concentration as she leaned forward, stretching a hand over Rogue’s forehead without touching her white glove to her ashen brow. “But there’s more than two, or three—I can’t count them, they’re so . . . wild.” Her eyebrows raised slightly, her eyes remaining closed. “Well, well, well, Wolverine, and here’s quite a bit of you in there.”

“What?” Logan demanded. He knew there would be some left over from touching her about an hour before, but it should be fading—surely not enough to stand out next to Rogue herself and Ms. Marvel.

Ms. Frost continued, sounding vaguely amused. “Oh, it is quite a strong influence.” A slight smile curved on her lips. “But don’t worry. The main conflict is not stemming from your aggressive tendencies, for once. It appears she’s reached a temporary impasse.” Frost opened her eyes, stoic, but she reached into her low waistline and drew out a petitely-folded handkerchief and dabbed the faint sheen of sweat on her forehead. “But even that cannot last. The only chance she has is if I push back the other personalities—bind them, if you will, and let her original personality regain control.”

It sounded too damn much like Jeannie—like the professor, binding whatever power had been fighting to get out. But hell, this Danvers character and all the others in there were intruders in Rogue’s head. They weren’t going to cage a part of her, but only a bunch of fragmented viruses threatening to kill her.

Logan looked down at Rogue’s still face—ashen and pale as death. Her fingertips were ashen—flaking away with decay. Her lips pale grey, her eyes sunken.

He drew his eyes up—catching Emma Frost’s cool gaze with his own.

“Do it,” he said.

Dammit. He hoped he wasn’t going to hate himself for this.

Again.

------------------------------------------

Got rid of Bloodscream. Took his head and buried it a couple miles into the wood in a block of cement, buried his arms separate about a half a mile south. Even if he starts to pull himself back together, it’ll take a couple decades to find everything.

-----------------------------------------------

It took Frost a good hour—standing unmoving over Rogue, a hand stretched before her and her brow showing the faintest crease from her effort. At last she finished, looking pale herself as she took the seat offered by Beast.

“Finished,” she said, slightly breathless as she pulled out her handkerchief and dabbed at her forehead again. “Though if it was successful, only time will tell.”

“Stick around, then. Beast? Wanna go get the lady somethin’ t’drink?”

They left, and Logan lowered himself into the stool that Frost had vacated at Rogue’s side. He leaned forward, taking hold of the blanket over Rogue and carefully adjusting it so it covered her arm, which had fallen out of the cover.

He realized he was still smoking and grimaced, tossing the butt in the sink before leaning forward—slumped with exhaustion as he finally allowed his healing factor time to rest.

Silent eyes watched his back as his head lowered. Minutes ticked by and Wolverine began to nod off—too drained to keep his eyes open, despite himself.

Jubilee had been dozing on and off for the last couple hours, but had woken up when the strange blond lady had finished. She now watched Wolverine with a frown, but finally gathered up the breath to speak. “Hey, dude. Hey!”

Wolverine’s head snapped up so fast it hurt—he groaned softly as his slowly healing injuries were jarred. “What the hell?” he snapped at her, but then blinked—glancing at Rogue and back to Jubilee as he remembered where he was. He stood, but had to lean on the table to keep his balance, though he certainly tried to hide it as he moved to her bed, glancing at her vitals. “Everythin’ okay, kid?”

“You should—” Jubilee was cut off when her breath caught in her dry throat. She coughed, her bruised throat making it feel like she was coughing up knives. She swallowed, eyes tearing. “You should go rest,” she wheezed.

Wolverine exhaled in a soft grunt, then limped over to the sink and got a paper cup from the dispenser before bringing it back to her. “Drink up,” he said, his own voice hoarse. “Dehydration’s common when you’ve lost blood like this. Even with the IV, it’ll take ya some time t’get your feet back under you.”

Jubilee eyed him, but took the cup, sipping it. She was polite enough to pretend that she didn’t see how much his hand was shaking—she was sure Wolverine wouldn’t respond well to that.

The water burned on the way down, but the fire in her throat faded as the cup emptied.

“Thanks,” she said, settling back down. Wolverine pretended not to hear her, returning to the chair by Rogue’s bed and watching her. “Seriously, though—you need to take care of yourself too, you know.”

Wolverine just looked at her—his dark eyes narrowing as he did so. Jubilee managed to quell the urge to shrink. She swallowed with difficulty—it felt like someone had shoved a roll of sandpaper down her throat, though the water had helped.

“Get some rest, kid,” he said, his tone suggesting the conversation was closed.

Jubilee didn’t mind—the haze over her mind was growing thicker, and sleep had never sounded so good. Her eyes slid shut, but before they were closed she saw Wolverine glance over at her again—eyes checking over her and the steady beeping of her heart.

That image stayed with her as she drifted off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------

Then:

[FONT=&quot] “I’ll be back in the morning, okay?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine lay back on his cot, biting down hard on an extra tough piece of jerky as he stared at the featureless ceiling above him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He felt odd. Cold sweat that refused to leave made the sheets beneath him stick to his skin—making him feel cold in the air conditioned air, but hot enough that he felt like he’d been running for hours on end. His mouth was sticky and dry; he wondered if there was any water to be had in this place.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He glanced around the room, seeing nothing but some small cracks in the metal along the wall. The light gleamed against it, and he felt a wave of cold. He shivered.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Too cold. Too empty. Too clean.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He felt like he was suffocating.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He sat up, still chewing the now-tasteless wad of jerky. His mouth was too dry to swallow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He stepped to the middle of the room, his feet sticking on the cold floor. He turned around slowly, then looked up—not sure what he was looking for, but sure it was there.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He could feel eyes on him. Invisible eyes, but they were there.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He felt a need to spit, but instead turned around, eyes glancing at the door, then scanning the walls again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It felt strange. Half-familiar, like he’d been in a room like this a thousand times before. Comfortable, almost, but overlaid with such an unfamiliarity that he almost felt torn in two.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He stepped forward slowly, running his hand over a seam in the wall, and then cautiously pressed down. There was a soft click, and part of the wall slid open and out—opening up to bowl a little higher than his waist.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A sink.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He reached out cautiously, twisting the knob until clear water streamed out of the faucet. He started slightly, then quickly reached forward to pool the blood-warm water in his cupped hands and then lean down to gulp at it greedily.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No knowing if it would go away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He drank until his stomach hurt and the taste of jerky was washed from his mouth. He slid the sink back into the wall hesitantly, trying to ignore the feeling in his gut that that would be the last drink he’d have in a very long time.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He stepped back to the cot, plopping down on it with a weight that made it groan in protest. He grabbed his beef jerky, stuffing another wad into his mouth to try and make the empty feeling in his gut go away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather said there was lots of food here. Nothing to worry about. No biting hunger in the cold snow, huddled under bushes as the wind stripped through his flesh and into his bones.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Safe. Warm.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine lifted his head warily as the footsteps stopped outside his door. A soft knock echoed through his room.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Wolvie?” came the accented whisper on the other side.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The kid.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine slipped from bed, moving quickly to the door and grabbing the doorknob. It didn’t move. He frowned, wondering why it was broken, and then popped a claw and stuck it in the seam between the door and the wall. There was a slight catch, and he pulled the door open.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine grimaced at the even brighter light from the hall. His eyes adjusted quickly, though; no one was there besides Remy, who was standing in his stained coat and looking up at him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Sorry ta wake you, mon ami—but Gambit heading out. Dis ain’t a place for him, an’ I got ta get home. Heather said she’d help, but I got enough money, and Gambit make it just fine.” A pause. “You sure you not wanna come?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine hesitated, looking at the mop of hair. The kid smelled clean beneath his old clothes—must’ve taken a shower or something. His black and red eyes watched him, but they didn’t bother him like the others’ eyes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He didn’t know if staying here was the right thing or not, but going with the kid felt just as wrong as anything. Here, though, he was close to the forest. And close to Heather . . . . Close to everything he knew.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Slowly, he shook his head.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remy sighed, but he didn’t look surprised. He shifted his grip on the bag thrown over his shoulder, looking down for a second before meeting his eyes again. “Listen, Wolvie—I know ya prob’ly won’t need it, but here’s Remy’s number, ‘kay? You need somethin’, an’thin’ at all, you call. I drop everythin’ and come runnin’.” He held out a paper, and Wolverine took it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gambit nodded and turned to go. “Thanks again, Wolverine. Take care’a youself, petit. Heather and Mac are nice, but somethin’ ‘bout this place stinks.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine couldn’t smell anything, but he didn’t think that was what the kid meant.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The kid walked away. Wolverine leaned against the doorframe, watching him as he walked down the hall and turned a corner out of sight. He wondered absently how the kid was planning to get out—he couldn’t slice through like Wolverine could, if he wanted to.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gambit’s scent was fading in the air. Wolverine turned back into his room, letting the door swing shut.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kid had skills. He’d be fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine looked down at the number in his hand. He stared at it for a moment, then ripped the paper into tiny pieces and swallowed them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Texture was nasty, but they were all the way down before he thought about why he’d done it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just in case.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If something turned sour here, the kid wasn’t getting mixed up in it. He’d been mixed up in it enough.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine went back to the bed and plopped down, the frame groaning under his weight as he lay back, staring at the featureless metal ceiling. He turned onto his side, using his arm as a pillow, and stared at the door. His stomach felt like he’d swallowed a bullet or two, and now they were just there, churning inside him and refusing to go away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Good luck, kid.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TBC . . . . [/FONT]

Has anyone else noticed that the view count on this thread hasn't been working? How annoying.

Anyway, here's the next chapter. I'd love to hear from any or all of you!

[FONT=&quot]-------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Chapter 48: A Room of One’s Own[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rogue stirred slightly, giving a soft groan as she lifted a hand to her forehead.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A hand touched her clothed shoulder and she opened her eyes to see Logan looking down at her. His face looked a bit blurry, but she could see his frown, the wrinkle between his eyebrows, the dead-seriousness of his eyes as he caught her gaze.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She blinked, clearing her vision as she breathed in deeply. It felt like she’d been holding her breath for an hour; the air tasted like heaven.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Who died?” she asked as soon as she could, her own brow furrowing as she struggled to remember.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You almost did, ya little pain in my butt,” Logan said. “Scared the life half outta me.” His voice sounded weird; deeper than usual, tired.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Really?” Rogue said, rubbing her eyes. “Cool.” She blinked again, making to rise up on her elbows, but Wolverine caught her shoulder. “Whoa. Not too fast, kid.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Ah’m fine,” Rogue said—and it was true. In fact, she felt almost too good. Her mind felt clear, she felt rested, and now that her eyes were clearing she felt fit enough to face the Hulk and still have energy to run a marathon afterwards. She reached up to brush Logan’s hand away—but she caught herself. Her hands were bare, but something had dried on her right palm. She looked down, frowning at the blood smeared over her hand, and looked sharply over at Wolverine—finally seeing him properly for the first time. “Yah idiot!” she gasped, horrified as she saw his face clearly. His right eye was swollen shut, and his face was pale beneath the dark bruising. His shirtfront was scarlet with red blood; not even dried, and she wondered how much of that was fresh. “What’d you do?” Wolverine opened his mouth, but Rogue was already off the table, glowering down at him. “Look at yourself! Ya can barely stand and you’re touchin’ me! Ya need t’heal yourself, ya big buffoon!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I wouldn’t be so hard on him,” a cool voice interrupted, and Rogue looked sharply over at an unfamiliar blond woman as she opened the med lab and stepped in. “It’s likely he saved your life.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“And who the hell’re you?” Rogue said, in a mood.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Another person who saved your life.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rogue’s eyes narrowed, and she whipped back to Wolverine, who had opened his mouth, but she cut him off. “Are you healing?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I’m healin’.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Don’t even think about lyin’ to me!” Rogue ran over him. “This is the second time you’ve almost died because of me.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I’m healin’,” Logan repeated, a bit sharply, but it lacked the energy and force as he remained seated next to the bed, leaning on it a shade too much. “’Sides, this time you’re the one that saved my ass. I was just returnin’ the favor.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Wanna tell me what’s goin’ on, then? And who she is?” she nodded towards the stranger in the room again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Emma Frost. Telepath.” She looked down at her hands, straightening her white gloves disinterestly. “Wolverine invited me here to help. After your absorption of the vampire—a foolish, rash move, by the way—your psyche was weakened enough that Carol Danvers made a move to take over, and in the process almost both of you died.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Carol,” Rogue repeated, her eyes turning inward. It was strange, but she’d almost forgotten her.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Don’t bother looking for her; I’ve buried her deep enough that she shouldn’t give you any trouble—for now, at least. No wall is impenetrable.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rogue looked up at Frost again. “She’s still here,” she said, mouth suddenly dry. “Her memories, her feelings . . . .”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Of course she is, haven’t you been listening?” Frost said coldly. “I bound her personality. But she’s still there, just like any psyche you’ve absorbed for a significant length of time. Just like Wolverine.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“What?” Logan spoke up, his gaze sharp as he looked between them. “You said I faded after a while.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rogue glared at Emma Frost before turning to Wolverine. “You do. I mean, it does. Except—never mind.” She shook her head, changing the subject. “Whatever you two did, it worked; I feel like myself for the first time in days.” For the first time in days, she knew exactly who she was. Marie. Rogue. She knew which memories were hers, which emotions—even if the other memories were still there: flickering, calling.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“No ‘never mind,’” Logan insisted, rising up from the chair, but discretely leaning against the table to keep himself on his feet. “What’d’ya mean, Frost, that I’m still in there?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rogue shot daggers out of her eyes at the blond *****, then turned back to Logan. “It doesn’t matter.” She knew he hated that she’d absorbed him even for that short amount of time. If he knew how much of him remained with her . . . .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Rogue . . . .”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Listen, every person I absorb . . . a little bit sticks around, okay? Just a little bit. Not a big deal.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“On the contrary,” Frost put in, then looked at Rogue, as if realizing something. “Oh. You don’t remember, do you?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Remember what?” Rogue snapped, out of patience with this telepath who had been running around in her head and was now being far too open with the details—but then she stopped, her mouth snapping shut as it came back to her like a smack in the face.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remembering being in her mind. Remembering the clawing hands of ghosts grabbing at her, trying to tear her apart. Cody, her first boyfriend. Magneto. The coroner at the lab. All tearing, screaming, fighting—and Carol Danvers, her hands stronger than all the rest as she screamed at her, ripping her into pieces.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Rogue?” Logan interrupted, and Rogue blinked, turning towards him as she remembered.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Remembered a sudden snarl in the chaos. Remembered the hands falling away, and Carol Danvers being knocked away as hands strong as steel caught her—but they weren’t angry, weren’t cold or harsh. They pulled her away, more substantial than the ghosts—almost as solid as Ms. Marvel as he fought at her side—[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for her.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Enemies ain’t the only people you’ve absorbed, Marie,” Wolverine’s essence had echoed into the chaos, and grinned ferally at her. His eyes were wild, and it might have been terrifying—but the rage in them were not at her. “I’ve got your back, kid.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The shadow of Wolverine in her head had wrapped around her psyche, making her stronger than she could ever be alone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You saved me,” Rogue said, looking at him. “I don’t know how it happened, but—you saved me.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At Wolverine’s uncomprehending look, Frost elaborated. “The part of you that she absorbed was enough to help keep the other personalities at bay—at least until I could arrive. Without that, I’m afraid irreparable damage would have been done to her mind before I could reach her.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Logan shifted uncomfortably, and Rogue marveled how he could be half bled to death and still have the presence of mind to begrudge his heroic status. She reached out, about to take his hand, but at the last moment remembered her lack of gloves and simply reached out to wrap her arms around him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine pulled back sharply—taken aback by the action, and Rogue discretely held up him upright as she could feel his balance buckle. One more reason to be glad of her super strength.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Thanks,” she said, pulling back. “Now go get some rest, ya lunkhead, or I’ll drag you up there myself.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Logan grunted. “Next time ya go try t’kill yourself, remind me to keep ya under a few more hours,” he said, heading to the door. He glanced back at Jubilee, and thought he saw her eyes flicker, but maybe he’d just imagined it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Emma Frost followed him out, and he glanced at her. “What?” he said bluntly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I was hoping you had mind enough to show me to a room. Refreshed as your southern flower may be, reconstructing a person’s mind is quite draining for a telepath, let me assure you.” She tilted her head, looking at him critically. “And maybe you’ll need me to carry you if you can’t make it up to your room without falling down the stairs.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That surprised a chuckle out of him. “Heh. Keep your day job, Frost,” he said, straightening. “Wouldn’t want ya breakin’ a nail.” He ignored the slices of pain echoing through his bones as he led the way to the elevator.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Elegance does not imply weakness,” Frost replied, idly looking down at the back of one of her silk gloves again. “Consider a diamond. Unbreakable, yet beautiful.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Yeah, whatever,” Wolverine muttered. His brain was buzzing. Making it hard to think. It’d been easier when he’d been waiting—keeping an eye on Rogue. Easy to focus on just making sure she was okay. Now that that was done, his brain felt like a channel of static: searching for a channel but only managing to catch glimpses before they roared away into chaos.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“She doesn’t hate you, you know.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine glanced at Frost, who’d come to walk beside him. “Come again?” he said, his voice rough.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The other girl. She doesn’t hate you.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It took a second for his battered brain to fix on her meaning. “Jubilee? You read her mind, Frost?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“What if I did? Are you going to kill me, Wolverine?” Her tone hadn’t changed—still cool and sophisticated. They could be holding a conversation about the weather over tea for all her concern.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine glared at her, wondering if she was mocking him. Then he decided he was too drained to care. He slammed his hand against the elevator button and stepped in as the door opened. “Close enough,” he muttered, thinking of Jubilee.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“You surprised her today.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He grunted wordlessly, hoping she’d get the hint to let it go.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Proving her intelligence once again, she did.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]--------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He was blinded; black pressed against his streaming eyes, piercing like needles as he felt hot blood like tears stream from behind the agony of his eyelids. He snarled and struggled, but he couldn’t hear his own voice—couldn’t even feel his hands. Just smelled the taste of his cold metal blood. A weight like death hovered over his lungs—pressing down on him. Too heavy. Too heavy. Couldn’t breathe. Choking on the smell of blood and men and hate and burning cleanser as green liquid filling his lungs. Drowning again. Drowning as he gasped in panic, only to breathe in acid as it cut his lungs like glass. He screamed. The tinkle of glass and casual talking choked his ears, laughing over his body. Laughing as he screamed and screamed and screamed and screamed . . . . [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolverine jerked upright with a gasp, eyes flying open to complete darkness. Something was over his throat—choking him, holding him down, and he popped his claws, shredding it. The scent of his own blood colored the air as he scrambled from the cot.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Metal. Metal under his feet, he could smell it in the air. So familiar, so cruel.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A sound—half snarl, half scream ripped from his throat and he ran forward, ripping through the walls and cringing into the light like a newborn as he ran down the metal corridor, memories of blood like rain gouging his eyes and clogging his throat as he fled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-----------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rain pattered on the rooftop and the window panes—a soft white noise that filled the dark silence comfortably, like a murmuring lullaby.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rrrring. Rrrrrring. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The phone rattled the silence: unbalancing it, shattering it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“—the heck?” James Hudson muttered, lifting his head slightly from his pillow.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rrring.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“James?” Heather murmured, uncurling from his arms.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He mumbled something incomprehensible in return, then swung his arm over and grabbed the phone. “Hello?” he said, rubbing his eyes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather could hardly hear the tinny voice on the other end of the line, but suddenly James’ eyes widened and he bolted upright. “What? How?” he demanded.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“What’s wrong?” Heather asked, immediately alert at his tone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mac held up a hand to stay her questions as he listened. He pinched the bridge of his nose. “Uh huh. Uh huh. Damn. Okay. Okay. Weapon Alpha will be active as soon as we can get there. Keep sweeping, but do not engage, do you understand? If you find him, keep your distance. You read the report of what the kid said about what happened in the forest. Okay. Keep me updated.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He was already moving as he hung up the phone, grabbing a pair of pants from the dresser and pulling them on.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather shadowed him, not a moment behind. “Wolverine?” she asked, fearful of the answer but somehow already knowing something had happened.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“He and the boy are gone.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“What?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Put your shoes on in the car,” James said, still in the act of pulling on a t-shirt as he strode from the room. Heather grabbed her shoes and followed, pulling her hair into a rough ponytail after fumbling with her glasses.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“James. What happened?” Heather demanded as she climbed in the car and James pulled out of the driveway and began speeding towards base. “People don’t just . . . walk out of a government facility. I thought they were secure.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“They were,” James emphasized. “Gambit didn’t even blast the lock—it looks like it was jimmied. He even stopped by to visit Wolverine before he left—besides that, the only footage we have of him is passing through the seventeenth corridor at 1:47 am. They didn’t even notice him missing until Wolverine made his move twenty minutes ago. He broke the camera and knocked out three guards patrolling the area, but somehow he cut the security feeds—by the time they got them up, he’d vanished.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“He didn’t kill anyone?” Heather clarified, feeling something in her chest loosen a hair.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“No casualties.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Thank God,” Heather breathed, leaning her forehead against the cold glass of the window as she looked out at the rain. Her breath fogged up the glass, and she used her hand to wipe it away.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]James didn’t stay with her when they got to the base. He bolted out of the car towards his labs, and Heather almost followed before stopping herself. He had his way to help, but she’d only get in the way if she followed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She headed in another door instead, grabbing a soldier and demanding a more detailed status report before having him take her to Wolverine’s room.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Her shoes and the soldier’s boots were loud in the corridor as they headed deeper into the base. Red lights flashed now silent along the walls, and soldiers hustled past in pairs. Heather paused at the sight of blood smeared across the floor, and the soldier followed her gaze.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Two soldiers taken down. Didn’t even see what hit them. He busted one guy’s nose and cracked the skull through the other’s—guns ripped to shreds.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No casualties[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], Heather reminded herself, swallowing thickly and remembering the first time she had seen Wolverine—that first day, when he’d attacked her and Mac from the forest. Bloodshot eyes—skin all stained with blood.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She shivered, and then shook herself, pushing away the memory.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But what had happened? Had Wolverine just decided that he didn’t like it there, and flown the coup? Had he decided he didn’t trust all this after all, and simply let loose?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No. He wouldn’t have done so little damage if he had.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Here,” the soldier said, nodding to the door. “Cut right through the lock. They think it was with his . . . claws.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The door was open a crack, and Heather reached out and pulled it open.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The room was lit with a tinny, flat exposure that sapped away whatever color might have been in the room—turning it all to metal and light. The small bed in the corner wouldn’t have looked out of place in a prison cell.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She stepped in slowly, looking around—her mouth suddenly dry. The floor was sprinkled with a spray of blood and a smudged bare footprint where Wolverine must have stepped in it. The bed was shredded—the sheets torn in pieces and pulled halfway across the room, as if they had caught at Wolverine as he’d ran to the door. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“This is where they had him sleep?” Heather asked, stepping into the barren room and looking around.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Standard quarters, miss,” the guard answered from the doorway.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Standard?” she repeated, a bit sharply. “And the lock?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Basic security.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather just shook her head, looking away from him and back at the walls.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There were three long gashes beside the bed, and the wall to her right look liked Wolverine had tried to shred right through it—the twisted metal from the attempt was spattered with blood.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather swallowed, stepping forward to pick up a bag of beef jerky; it was open and more than half-empty, and it made her heart clench. She straightened, still holding the bag as she looked around the room.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The boots they’d found for him at the base were still at the foot of the bed—he hadn’t even bothered to take them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He hadn’t planned for this. He hadn’t become angry or bored or nervous. She could see that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He’d had another nightmare.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another nightmare, like she’d seen that one night—with Wolverine half out of his mind with terror. He’d woken up in a cage and he’d only thought of one thing: escape.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is my fault[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], she realized. It was a miracle he’d held on as long as he had before he snapped. She’d known how much whatever had been done to him still affected him. She’d known about how much he hated being trapped.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Her eyes dropped to the thin-padded bed, and the wool blanket that had fallen to the floor and lay there, tangled. She closed her eyes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She’d known about his nightmares.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] And even if she didn’t know exactly what had happened to him, she could only imagine how it must have been to wake up in such a place.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather opened her eyes, reaching up to wipe a single tear away. “I’m sorry,” she whispered.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She kept the packet of jerky, turning to the door.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What would this undo? Did he go back to his feral state? Return to the wild—let that hopeful, wide-eyed man who called himself Wolverine disappear forever?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But he’d gotten away, and he’d done it without killing anyone. If that wasn’t a sign of hope, nothing was.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heather headed down the hallway, determined that she would not let the man known as Wolverine down again. She’d find him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TBC . . . [/FONT]

Another good chapter..
Thanks for the Kylee description by the way:)
Like that Wolverine helped Rouge in her inner fight.

Howdy, crew. Sorry about how I’ve been completely MIA . . . again. No real excuses except the usual—RL, and everything that comes with it. I always seem to get really thrown off of my normal writing schedule around the holidays.

Enough with the niceties, and on to the chapter. This chapter has caused me soooo much grief. I had it 99.9% written back in October, but when it came down to the week I was going to post it, I read through it and was very dissatisfied with it. So I trashed the whole thing, started over, and rewrote 5000 words for it. . . . and then realized that while the writing was better, the tone and events just didn’t fit in for this part of the story. So I trashed it again, returned to the first draft, and revised, revised, revised. Hopefully it pays off and this section is at least okay. I’m still a bit wishy-washy about it.

This part is dedicated to a friend of mine, Carcajou, who got me out of bed and whipped me back into shape. Otherwise it would have been another couple weeks before this chapter saw the light of day. :)

As always, THANKS FOR ANY REVIEWS! You readers are all the reason I keep coming back to this, even with life as busy as it is. Please take a few seconds after reading to drop a note—even if it’s short.

ENJOY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 49: Truth or Consequences

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then:

The rain didn’t stop all day. It varied in intensity, though: drizzling languidly at times—barely a mist as it hovered over the base, as if too lazy to move along—but lashing out furiously now and again as if making sure it hadn’t lost their attention. The low clouds hid the rising sun and made the whole sky look like the sun was too tired to show up for the day: calling in for sick leave in the face of the wet and cold. Grey skies and brown mud was thick over everything—churning through wheels, dragging down boots and spirits. Heather had joined the search, but after a couple of hours in the cold and wet her husband caught her directed back inside to get a dry set of clothes and some coffee before she made herself sick.

They used dogs to track him to the perimeter. Wolverine had sliced through the fence cleanly, and the dogs followed him into the woods where they lost his scent. The handlers made the dogs run the trail again, but they couldn’t pick up on him. Wolverine was gone without a trace.

James flew around in his half-completed tech-suit—the forcefield-protected flight-enabled suit called Weapon Alpha—scanning high and low for miles into the woods until his energy ran low. He returned, walking down the busy corridors in his white-and-red maple leafed suit. He changed in his lab, hooking it up to recharge before going meet Heather in the radio center where she was hovering. He placed a kiss on top of her head as he pulled her close. Her hair was still damp from the rain.

“We’ll find him,” he said

“How far could he have gone?” Heather said without looking away from the rain-battered window. She sounded as if she were simply giving voice to an inner discussion that had been ongoing in her mind for some time. “I have no idea how fast he can run—it could be normal, or far off the chart. I have no idea how far his mutant ability stretches. Healing, claws . . . ? And where would he have gone? Certainly not to the city, which leaves the forest . . . .” She turned, looking up at her husband for the first time. “Are you sure you didn’t pass by him?”

Mac tapped the side of his head with his bandaged hand. “The suit has infrared. Anything with body heat shows up clear as fireworks at night, especially in this weather.”

“And his body temperature tested above normal by three full degrees. Unless that changes too . . . .”

James put an arm around her. “All right, hon. It’s time to go.”

“We have to keep looking,” Heather said. “If we’ve done a sweep fifty miles out with no luck, he could be twice as far tomorrow—or farther, if his healing factor makes it so he doesn’t have to stop and rest . . . .”

“There’s nothing we can do now, all right? It’ll take at least four hours for my suit to recharge—it’s a miracle it lasted as long as it did, in its unfinished condition—and everyone else is doing as much as they can. They’ll call us if they pick up a trail.”

Heather nodded wearily, breathing in shakily. “What if we don’t find him, James?”

“We’ll find him.” With his tech and the amount of personnel, it was only a matter of time.

Heather shook her head slightly. “You don’t understand. He’s at home in the woods. I think that no one can find him if he doesn’t want to be found. From observation, it seems that he has enhanced senses—hearing, scent . . . who knows what else. I’ve never seen anyone so at home in the wild, and to think that he probably lived out there all winter. Think about what temperatures he must have had to face—and without insulation or clothing. He could have been out there for years before he ran into us, James.” She sniffled softly—whether from the cold or fighting tears, he didn’t know.

James led her to the car, patiently listening to his wife go on and on about any information that could even possibly be useful in the search.

She was still going on when they pulled up to the house and climbed out, but while her topic had strayed from Wolverine’s skills in the wild and his abilities, it had hardly moved from the topic of Wolverine himself. Mac put a hand in the small of her back as he guided her up the paint-chipped porch steps in front of him. “I went into the room . . . . And leaving him there alone—did you see the walls? He must have had a nightmare, woken up disoriented, and panicked—”

She stopped, one foot on the top step. “James . . . .”

He followed her gaze. The faded front door was closed loosely; the bolt had been cut cleanly through, and a thin slice of the doorframe was missing near the doorknob.

Heather stepped forward, throwing the door open. “Wolverine?” she called, stepping in without bothering to shake off the rainwater. “Wolverine—”

He was sitting in her living room, slumped on the couch with his bare feet pulled up beneath him as he watched the hockey game going down on the tube. He didn’t seem bothered that his hair and clothes were soaked, or by the gust of bone-chilling air that followed them in the front door. Wolverine glanced up as they came in and put down the beer he’d been drinking next to the empty cans on the table. “Hey,” he said softly.

He always spoke softly—almost like if he spoke too loud it’d hurt his own ears.

“What are you doing here?” Heather cried. He flinched slightly at the loud noise. “We’ve been looking everywhere—worried sick—”

James came over to the couch and leaned over to grab the last unopened beer resting on the coffee table. “How’re we doing?”

Wolverine glanced at him briefly, and his shoulders hunching slightly, and Mac got the distinct impression that Wolverine was uncomfortable by his proximity, but the feral man didn’t move. He looked back to the TV. “Dunno.” There was a beat. “Who’s ‘we’?”

“—and find you, drunk. Did you drink all of this?” Heather continued, gesturing to the beer cans scattered over the coffee table and floor.

Wolverine looked at her calmly and shrugged.

“I don’t think he can get drunk, honey.”

Heather’s rant was broken at that. “Oh,” she said, distracted by the thought. “Of course. His body probably reacts to poisons like it does any injury or chemical imbalance, including alcohol—”

Wolverine was watching her quizzically.

“’Who’s we’?” Mac repeated Wolverine, coming to sit down on other side of the couch. But as he was about to slump into the seat, he heard something crunch under his feet. He looked down and, to his credit, only paled a hair as he saw the ripped-up fur and the meat-stripped bones under his shoes. He recovered quickly.

“That’s it,” Mac declared. “You aren’t going to pass another day without learning these three vital skills, Wolverine. First, you don’t need to hunt, or eat this stuff . . . uncooked. Secondly, if you do—don’t leave it on the floor. And last but most important, we are rooting for the Calgary Flames—the red jerseys.”

James sat down, grabbing the remote and turning up the volume. “That too loud?” he asked.

Wolverine shrugged.

“You boys are impossible,” Heather said, exasperated, but glad Wolverine was all right and in what seemed to be a good state of mind—and James was doing all he could to keep him that way. “You should call the base, James.”

“Yeah,” Mac replied, not looking away from the screen.

Heather rolled her eyes. “I’m going to fix some dinner. You two want anything?”

“Love some.”

“Wolvie?”

He looked up from the tube. “Eh?”

“Dinner?”

“Sure.”

The two men sat in silence. Wolverine drained off the last of his beer and glanced back towards the sound of Heather in the kitchen. A drop of water slid down the side of his face from his hair and he wiped it away absently.

“So what happened?”

The words were soft, but Wolverine heard them clearly. He looked over at the man James, who was watching him openly.

Wolverine shrugged. “Needed some air,” he said, reusing a phrase Heather had taught him just a few days before.

Not a perfect answer, but the man nodded, accepting it with a soft, “Fair enough.” Wolverine relaxed a hair. “What about Remy?”

“Headin’ home.”

“Not safe for a boy his age.”

Wolverine shrugged again at that: he wouldn’t know. “Kid can take care’a himself.”

James shrugged back, turning back to the game. “I guess you’d know.”

Wolverine watched the game, but he was distracted by the smell from the kitchen—food, and Heather.

Wolverine shifted, wanting to talk to the man, but he wasn’t looking at him. Wolverine frowned.

That’s right. The name thing. To be able to get a person’s attention.

“James,” he said, and managed not to grimace around it. The name tasted funny on his tongue, but it worked; the man turned towards him.

“Call me Mac, Wolverine. Most people do around here.”

“Mac,” Wolverine repeated. Whatever. The kid had had two names too—Remy. Gambit. Maybe most people did. But then he stopped, not sure how to say what he wanted to ask.

Heather had said it was their anniversary. That the man James—Mac—was her husband. He’d seen them touch each other—seen him hug her, seen them . . . . kiss, was the word. Heard the words.

I love you
, Heather had whispered, but it’d burned Wolverine’s ears like fire, and he didn’t know why.

No, Wolverine realized. Even if he knew what he wanted to ask, he knew he wouldn’t be able to ask the man next to him.

Mac was still waiting, watching him, and Wolverine cast his mind out for something else to say. He looked down at the man’s right hand—wrapped thick with some sort of hard bandage through his fingers up his wrist.

“What is it?” Mac asked.

“What happened?” Wolverine asked, pointing to the injury. “Your hand.”

Mac smelled surprised, but his voice didn’t reflect it. “You don’t remember?” he asked, still calm but with a cautious note to his words.

You don’t remember?

The words hit him like a brick and he pulled back into himself.

What had he forgotten this time?

Mac had been wearing the cast when he’d shown up in the helicopter. Then it must’ve been before—when he’d been running in the woods. He’d heard the kid, smelled the humans, lunged forward. He remembered the shock and blindness of the gunshot to the head, remembered the man, drawing back his fist and punching him in the face, then falling back . . . .

He’d broken his hand on his face.

Wolverine looked up, remembering—though it was through a veil of haze.

“Oh. Sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Mac said, relaxing again back into the couch as Heather came in, holding two plates. “Teach me to punch a guy with metal bones.”

“Just sandwiches,” Heather said, coming around the couch. “I’m too tired to fix up anything fancier.”

“Looks just fine, hon,” Mac said, taking the plate and tilting his face up to kiss her briefly. Wolverine shifted, but took his own plate.

“Thanks,” he said softly.

“I’m just glad you’re okay,” Heather said, coming around and sitting on the couch arm next to Mac. She bit her lip. “Wolverine, I’m
sorry. I should have asked if you were okay where you were. I should have known.”

Wolverine looked down at his sandwich and shrugged. “Doesn’t matter.”

“Next time you want to leave, you can just ask,” Mac said with a slight smile. “You weren’t being held prisoner, you know.”

Again, just a shrug for a response.

Heather hovered uncertainly—the silence was heavy, even with the sound of the hockey game in the background. “Do you want to talk about it?”

A shake of the head. “It’s fine,” Wolverine said, picking up his sandwich and taking a bite out of it. He paused, his brow furrowing. “Mmmm,” he murmured, shutting his eyes briefly as he savored the taste of a simple sandwich.

Mac looked at him oddly, and Heather couldn’t help but smile. Enhanced senses—who knew how that affected his sense of taste? And after living in the wild with nothing but raw meat to eat?

“One sec,” Mac said, leaning over and picking up the phone from the side table next to the couch. Wolverine opened his eyes to watch curiously as he dialed a number and held the phone up to his ear. “Hey, it’s me. He’s here. Found his way to my place. No, don’t worry about it; we’ll keep him here, if it’s all right with Heather—” He looked over at his wife, who looked at him, then at Wolverine, and then nodded. “All right. I’ll report in the morning.” He hung up the phone.

“We’ll set you up in the spare room,” Heather said. “Kind of overrun by our books, but there’s a bed. Would that be okay, Wolvie?”

“Huh?” he’d missed whatever had just happened.

“Do you want to stay here, with us, or go back to the base?” Mac asked. “It’s fine with us if you want to stay.”

Wolverine looked at Heather. “I’ll stay,” he said softly.

“It’s all settled, then,” Mac said, picking up his own sandwich and settling back. Heather slid next to her husband, and he put an arm around her shoulder as they all sat on the sofa and watched the rest of the game together.

-----------------------

Now:

He walked into the bar, his shoulders hunched in his jacket, his eyes down. A grunt answered the bartender’s offer for his usual, and when it came he went and sat in the darkest, most reeking corner and nursed the bottle.

Not like it would do him a bit of good, though. Tasted like piss—just like this place stank. Piss and vomit and rats.

That’s all that ever came here, anyway. Rats and refuge.

He tilted his head back, guzzling half the bottle and not even feeling a slight buzz at it. He wiped his mouth, not caring enough even to grimace at the taste.

The people around him didn’t matter—hell, even he didn’t matter anymore. It was easier just to sit here, grow deaf with the roar of drunken rednecks and the hum of the cheap TV buzzing in the corner—more static than not. To grow blind in the darkness, the stinging smoke of cheap cigars and pot from that guy in the corner. Numb his nose after the reek of the worst that mankind could throw at him.

Numb.

Cause in here, he was just another washed-up bastard—no different from the rest of ‘em.

It was easier this way. Easier to forget, easier to stop being, and no one to care if he lost it and tore the whole place down on all their damn heads.

Probably thank me,
he thought, lifting his mug and putting it to his lips to tip the rest of the cheap beer down his throat.

But something was wrong—the beer kept coming, running down his throat, never emptying. He felt his lungs tightening, demanding air, but he kept drinking, drinking it all.

He was drowning—he tried to pull the bottle away, but he couldn’t—it was caught in his mouth, down his throat, biting into his lungs and choking him. He gasped automatically, and the bitter liquid gushed through his nose, pouring down over his face, biting his flesh like acid—like a million needles, plunged to his bones. Like fire, running over him as it jerked its hooks deeper into his flesh.

He screamed, bubbles rising before him as he flailed in the green liquid, fighting for air—fighting for—

What?

Something pricked the back of his neck, and hot fire moved into his veins, and he wanted to fight it. Panic rose in his throat, bile mixing with the fluid that was drowning him, but he was weakening, the sharp, cutting pain fading as the green fluid around him turned dark—no, his eyes . . .

Why should he fight, after all? He’d been fighting so long. . . so long . . .

. . . he was so tired . . .

. . . so old . . .

. . . tired . . .

His eyes slid shut, his muscles relaxed to nothing, and he floated.

After all, if they were the ones that were finally going to find a way to kill him after all of this. After all . . .

Do it,
was his last thought—and he didn’t give a damn if it sounded like a plea—as he sank into blackness and forgetfulness.

-----------------------------------------------

Wolverine opened his eyes.

The dream echoed through him, weighing down his bones as if he were feeling their whole weight for the first time.

But something was missing.

His heart was thudding hollowly in his chest, vinegary fear was pungent in his mouth—but the rage—the fire, the consuming hate—wasn’t there.

In its place was a grief—a wild, drowning grief like a name on the tip of his tongue. He swallowed wetly, feeling tears on his face for the first time. He reached up and brushed them away roughly.

Do it.

He remembered rage and fear, but this was the first time he’d remembered feeling the loss. The despair. And in some ways, it made him sicker than anything.

They’d broken him, hadn’t they?

He knew they’d made him into an animal, but he’d never imagined that they’d destroyed him so completely.

He sat up in bed, staring out into the darkness and wondering what they’d done to be able to shatter him into a million pieces.

------------------------------------

Jubilee stopped in the shadows, looking at Wolverine’s back where he stood on the moonlit balcony. She knew he knew she was there, but she still didn’t move, and neither did he. Probably waiting for her to move on. Smoke drifted slowly over his head.

She took a deep breath, leaning slightly against the doorframe and holding her jacket close against the cold—she was still a bit light-headed from her run-in with Bloodscream. She shivered slightly against the cold, remembering.

Alkali Lake.

“Listen, mister,” Jubilee said loudly, stepping forward in front of the younger kidnapped mutants behind her: drawing the soldiers’ attentions away from them. Her hands were bound tight behind her back, and though the soldiers caught her arms she stared back steadily. “You’ve got yourself into a whole lot of trouble. Okay, you got the professor, but do you really think you can hold him? You should let us go right now before our friends track us down.”

“The other mutants? I hope they will,” Stryker said, glancing at her. “Take them out of here.”

“Ever heard of Wolverine? He could track you to the moon and back, you know. He’s coming for us.”

Stryker looked up sharply from his panel, looking at her full-on for the first time. “You’re looking to Wolverine to save you, mutant?”

“Heck yeah. He’s gonna kick your butt six ways till Sunday.”

Stryker had an odd look on his face as he stepped forward. “You like him,” he said, sounding surprised by the realization. “You—what?—think he is some sort of warrior, perhaps? Some super-soldier?”

“He’s a hero,” Jubilee said boldly.

“A hero?” Stryker repeated, straightening. “A hero, hm?” He turned away. “Lock her in C7. The others go to the pit. Now!”

Jubilee tried digging in her heels, but it was pointless as they dragged her into a dark, damp room and strapped her onto a chair, then left, slamming the thick metal door behind them. The room stank like mildew and old iron.

Jubilee began shaking as soon as they’d left, but she gritted her teeth. “ C’mon, Jubes,” she muttered, squeezing her eyes shut. “You’ve got this. You can do this.” She opened her eyes, her gaze sweeping the small room before they settled on three familiar gashes that had been roughly patched up near the doorway. Her eyes widened and she stared at them, clearly recognizing what they were, if not what they meant.

A bright light turned on, and Jubilee flinched as it bathed her in blinding light.

“I’ll be with you later, mutant.” She recognized Stryker’s voice again. “But this should keep you busy. “See, I know your ‘hero’ better than he knows himself. And we both know how much he hates to keep up pretenses. Enjoy the show.”

Jubilee blinked, jerking herself back to the present as she inhaled sharply. Cutting off the memories before they could really get started.

Taking a deep breath, she took a determined step forward. She leaned against the railing a few feet from him.

“Weapon X,” Jubilee dove in without preamble.

Wolverine looked over at her. “Come again?”

“That's what they called you,” Jubilee said, picking at a bit of peeling paint on the wood. “Weapon X, Experiment X. I did hear them call you Mr. Logan a couple times, but . . . nothing else. No first name, no whatever.”

Logan blinked at her with his dark eyes. He breathed out a mouth of smoke, and darn that Jubilee couldn’t tell a thing he might be thinking.

“Yeah?” he finally asked.

Jubilee felt lightheaded—though whether from her bout with Bloodscream or nervousness, she couldn’t say.

Wolverine was watching her, and she felt sweat bead on her forehead.

She was going to do this. But how could she do this? How could she talk about this? How could she even begin?

“You weren't human,” she blurted. Wolverine's eyes narrowed, and she shook her head. “You weren't! You didn't see that—they must have done something. You were . . . a machine. An animal. They had a . . . a
switch, to turn you on and off, and make you d—do anything they wanted you to,” she amended quickly.

“Make me do what?” Logan said, voice flat.

“Dance,” she said quietly. “Like, with a remote. It was all . . . ulghy, like. Like Frankenstein.” Wolverine looked at her as if she was crazy, and she shook her head quickly. “Never mind,” she said. “Just—stuff. Like, there was this one time. They stuck you in this field, sicced wolves on you. And you . . . you, you know, killed them all, but then they just . . . like, flipped a switch and you just . . . turned off. Like a robot or something, you know? Just fell down . . . in the snow.” Her voice cracked at the end, and she swallowed, trying to speak without pulling to her mind the blood on the snow, the
sounds.

“They . . . shot you. Took . . . stuff, just to see how fast you’d heal. Sent you tracking—you once followed this guy, like, 30 miles in the snow and rain. Smelled him all the way, and you, you know . . . .”
Killed him. No need to say the words.

“That all?” Wolverine asked, his voice still inflectionless—eyes still not looking at her.

“No,” Jubilee whispered. “I saw you getting away.”

Finally, a reaction: Wolverine shut his eyes. Jubilee swallowed thickly. “You remember?” she couldn’t help but ask.

Wolverine opened his eyes, looking down at his hands, which he unclenched, staring at the backs of them. “So what? You just saw me killin’ a bunch a’ guys?” he asked, not answering her question

Jubilee couldn’t look at him. “That Doctor— Cornelius. He—he tried locking himself away in a room, but . . . you came through the wall. Somebody—somebody called the professor. Soldiers. Lots and lots of soldiers,” she ended, following Wolverine’s gaze out across the yard.

“I just . . . you’re unstoppable. Nothing stopped you. They, you know—shot you. Lots. They even hit you with a couple grenades, and you just . . . kept on coming. And then I started thinking that
nothing could stop you.”

She fell silent. With the cold of the season, not even an insect broke the stillness of the night, and Jubilee felt as though the chill were trying to crawl through her layers of clothing and curl up around her bones.

She swallowed, clenching cold fingers against her sweaty palms. “Listen, I just—I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, okay? It’s just . . . yeah. I dunno.” He didn’t move—looking across the frost-covered lawn. “You know what? Forget it.” She looked back to the door, preparing to go.

“What made ya change your mind?”

Jubilee didn’t answer immediately. What could she say?
Dude, you saved my life and almost killed yourself at the same time. But it wasn’t even that. The way they’d ripped into each other—she couldn’t forget Wolverine’s face, bloodlusting—that was what she would have expected. It fit exactly with what else she had seen of him.

No, it was beyond that. It was his expression when he’d leaped down the stairs and seen her there. Jubilee had seen him through a haze, but she’d never seen anything so terrifying as Wolverine’s expression. And she’d never been so glad to see him.

It was the look on his face when Rogue had fallen—for the first time, she’d seen fear in his eyes.

It was the way he looked at Rogue. The way he’d refused to leave her side, even when he could barely stand himself. It was watching those horrible gashes on his face reopen as he pressed his hand into Rogue’s: his expression pained, but beyond that—resolute.

The way he had watched her, as she drifted off to sleep in the medlab. Protective, even in the face his own exhaustion. Nothing violent or animalistic about it.

And one thing she knew—nothing good like that could have been created in that hellhole.

Jubilee shrugged. “I was just thinking,” she admitted. “Rogue—this Ms. Marvel person recognizing you from, you know,
before. I dunno, I used t’think that maybe you had been . . . made or something, in that place. Like . . . some kinda experiment—not even a real mutant. But you were somebody before. I guess you just . . .” She swallowed. “Stryker said you volunteered, but maybe they lied to you, or something. Maybe . . .”

“I didn’t.”

Wolverine had been so quiet that the soft, but firm words caught her off guard. “Huh?”

“I didn’t
volunteer,” Logan said, saying the word with a sneer. “I don’t know how they dragged me into that place, but I sure as hell know that.”

“Oh,” Jubilee said. “So . . . he was lying.” Wolverine didn’t answer. She let out a long breath. “He was probably lying a whole bunch, Wolverine. I could tell—he hated you. He hated you more than he hated any of us for just being mutants.” She smiled weakly. “You know, that’s the whole reason he showed me all this. We were thrown in this place, and I got up and was all, like, ‘Dude, Wolverine’s coming to kick your butts.’ I totally didn’t know that he, like,
knew you, but then he got all pissed about it, you know? Started saying all these things, and I didn’t believe a word. Told him to go screw himself. That’s when he pulled me out and . . . showed me.”

“Guess he just wanted me scared of you,” Jubilee continued, softer. Wolverine had gone silent again—his expression was distant. She wondered if he was even hearing what she was saying. She swallowed, her mouth dry. “Anyway, I just thought . . . you deserved to know.”

She let go of the banister, biting her lip as she turned away from him. She rubbed her hands together; they were almost numb from cold, and shaking. She shut her eyes tight, trying to push away the sickness in her gut as she tried to put the block back up on those memories—tied to a chair, hands in metal cuffs covering her palms, blocking her power as she tried to look away, tried to close her eyes. Tried to block out the sounds of it all—the cold, distanced voices of the doctors, the screams. . . the awful, dripping silence after his escape had left everyone dead.

“Kid?” Wolverine said gruffly. Jubilee looked back, hugging herself as her breath rose visibly before her face. He still didn’t look at her, but she could see his face—half shadowed, half-lit by the blue-frost moon. He looked tired—exhausted, even. He looked healed enough, but suddenly she wondered. She used to figure that he could walk away from any injury without missing a step, but standing there he seemed so much more . . . normal. Human. Even—Dare she even think it?—vulnerable. He pulled his cigar from his mouth. “Thanks.”

It sounded like he was choking on the word, but Jubilee had to give him some credit. It must’ve been like pulling teeth for him to get that out, after she’d been treating him like dirt this whole time.

“Yeah, no problem,” Jubilee said, trying for her usual flippant tone, but failing. She took a breath. “Listen—the doc and me, she’s kinda put together what I remember. Said talking would help but . . . I can get you a copy, if you wanted me to.” Silence. “I guess I’ll . . . see you in the morning.” Logan still didn’t answer, so she pulled her jacket closer and went inside.

Logan didn’t move until the door was closed and he heard Jubilee’s footsteps fading with distance deeper into the house—until even he couldn’t hear them. He drew back, pulling the cigar from his mouth—his teeth had ground the end flat.

He tossed it away, feeling sick.

Sick with rage, yes, but this was something else—compounding with his dream and making him feel like his chest was a gaping hole.

They did something to you.

Could turn you on and off, like some kinda machine or something.

Shot you. Took stuff, just to see how fast you’d heal.

He shut his eyes his fingers digging into the palms of his hands as he bowed his head.

What was the matter with him? He knew what they’d done to him. Hell, he
remembered enough of what they’d done to him.

They made you . . . dance.

Dance?

Was that it? It wasn’t enough that they’d destroyed his mind, stolen his body, raped him through and through—

--
but that they did it so . . . carelessly?

Flippantly?

They really didn’t see him as anything, did they? Less than human, less even than an animal. Just a thing.

Had they really hated him so much? To not only erase who he was, but to destroy him so utterly and completely?

He gritted his teeth. He had known that they had made him an animal, but did they have that much control?

He looked down at his arms. They’d plated his bones with metal; what would have kept them from stringing through all sorts of electronics, making him into some Frankensteinish cyborg?

He had the sudden urge to rip back his skin, pull back his muscles—just to make sure it wasn’t still in there. Wires, to control everything he did.

Turn him off
, like a machine.

Or worse: flip the switch, and make him do whatever they wanted.

He pulled his arm down from his gaze, gritting his teeth. No. If they could control him they would have done so a thousand times before now. And the scans—the ones Jean took—they would have shown them, wouldn’t they have? Not to mention the number of times he’d been blown to his bones before; he’d have seen them.

How long had they had him in there? Years? Rogue—Carol—had said that she hadn’t seen him since he’d gone AWOL in ‘Nam in ‘69. Is that when they’d nabbed him, and toyed around with his mind and body for years after?

He looked down at the smoldering remains of his cigar—a tendril of smoke was drifting slowly from its end.

But that wasn’t all that was bugging him, was it?

He’d known Stryker and his clowns had done things to him—things that made him want to run off into the shadows of the woods and never look back, never think again. The specifics made him cold, but that wasn’t what made him feel like his stomach was trying to claw its way up his throat with bile and rage and blood.

It was her having to see.

She’d seen it. Seen him an animal. Seen the part of him that was so raw and savage that it frightened himself.

She’d been—what? Twelve years old? And Stryker had sat her down and made her watch him tear apart everyone in that place.

He couldn’t remember how many he’d fought there. He couldn’t remember what it had been like—just the cold, his pain, his rage. But he remembered blood, and he’d gamble there had been gallons of it.

He could almost taste the bitter iron of it, cutting its way down his throat.

Logan spat in the bushes to the side of the steps and turned away, slumping down on the ground with his back against the frozen bricks of the house and feeling the cold begin to seep into his bones—slowly turning him to ice inside.

--------------

There’s somethin’ that happens to ya when you’ve found yerself on the cold end of humanity. Somethin’ that ain’t gonna heal, no matter how fast the scars fade. Or even how much memory fades. Part’a ya has seen the dark side of people, and it’s set you apart. Ya see things different. Ya see people different. The whole world is inside out ‘n bleedin’, and everyone else just walks on by—they can’t see it, even when they try. Whatever it is—it isolates you. It cuts you off, so that even when yer standin’ in a crowd, yer always gonna be standing alone.

TBC . . . .

Hey, you lot! Due to an increased level of general business in my life and the lack of traffic I seem to get around here, I'm making the call to stop posting new chapters on this site for the time being. If you're interested in keeping up with the new chapters of my story, please check out my page on fanfiction.net

www.fanfiction.net/~blackdewinthemorning

Thanks for reading!

I had to register on this site just to comment. I love your story!! Most fan fics are movie base only. Now, I love the movies, but I love the character from the comics more. I know its been awhile since you wrote it, but I'm hoping your still out there. And, hoping VERY much, you finished this story!? I checked the link but it does not work.

He hasn't been on here for 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"