Worst Movie Titles Ever: Superhero Edition

LOL at Die Darkman Die. I've never seen that movie but I always wondered if they meant that subtitle as a joke.

I think people are too hard on Batman Returns though. I know it's misleading (he's not returning from anything in the movie) but I looked at it as a good way for them to circumvent the typical trip of assigning 2, 3, 4, etc. onto the title of the sequels. Of course, it forced them to come up with something other than "Batman 3" for the third installment, which of course resulted in the ridiculous Batman Forever title. Yes, it does make sense within the context of the movie, but it still sounds really silly when you just hear it on its own. If WB has any sense, they would have just called that movie Batman & Robin, and called the fourth film Batman: Let's Kick Some Ice.

Batman Forever
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Captain America: The First Avenger (why not just "Captain America"?)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Spider-Man: Homecoming

I think it may have had to do with politics. Marvel may have been concerned that people would be put off or offended by the title Captain America.

Yeah, I think it was due to America's poor standing after the Bush years.

Its serviceable, but The Dark World feels kind of blah. I don't remember the Dark World itself being as big a deal as the aether that Jane was experimenting with.

Secret of the Ooze ended up not being much in the way of a secret.

I don't love it, but I'm surprised by the hate for Spider-Man: Homecoming as a title. I must have misread something because I was under the impression it was named after the high school dance. It definitely works better that way, but I'm fine with it regardless.

I also forgot about X2: X-Men United. It sucks, but it isn't called that in the UK. It's simply X-Men 2 here.

Those are personal opinions, not facts

Thanks for clearing that up.

What would IM2 and 3 be called if they had subtitles like other Marvel sequels? Iron Man: Avengers Setup Subplot? Iron Man: Mandarin Meanders?

2kt09 said:
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk - when I think Hulk, not his cousin, I think court drama
He went for trial, but the reasoning is lame and stupid.

2kt09 said:
Batman Returns - he really isn't returning from anything
That's the studio/director's way of saying "TA-DAAAH, the highest grossing movie of the end of the 80s has a sequel".

2kt09 said:
Avengers: Age of Ultron - what is Ultron's age?
The age of a battery is its expiry date, or the number of hours it used.
That was the Age of Ultron, the time he had before Hulk smashed him.
What would IM2 and 3 be called if they had subtitles like other Marvel sequels? Iron Man: Avengers Setup Subplot? Iron Man: Mandarin Meanders?
Iron Man: Is Tony Dying?
And
Iron Man: Extremis

Iron Man 2: devil's drink

Iron Man 3: Mandarin madness

The problem with Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice purely as a title is that it is contradicatory. Batman vs Superman implies them fight each other for "ideaological reaon"(????)( Altough in my personal opinion I prefer a Batman who is actually on a philosophical foundation similar to Superman in that both care about life and are best friends Miller version is much better but it still fails to examine Superman because Miller wanted to jerk of Bob Kanes cock) or some reason. And Dawn of Justice implies two different things for different people. For comic book geeks we are seeing some start towards the justice league but to regular people it only implies .......... something. Yeah Dawn of Justice unless you are implying that we have never had Justice in any way before than you are only making a comment about Justice League.

Yeah, it really is dumb. It's like, "Justice cannot exist until these two meatheads pound the crap out of each other over a misunderstanding!" WTF?

Yeah, it really is dumb. It's like, "Justice cannot exist until these two meatheads pound the crap out of each other over a misunderstanding!" WTF?

Justice obviously did not exist until a white billionaire started realising that branding criminals might be a ****** idea and a dude in a red suit killed himself.

I think it may have had to do with politics. Marvel may have been concerned that people would be put off or offended by the title Captain America.

They said it was because of international audiences since for us Captain America(even though different in the comics) implies the worst parts of american government and culture. I know many people who did not see it because they thought it would be 2 hours of America flag waving

Some titles aren't as bad as they sound. Maybe there's more to it.
They don't always reflect the actual story (Dawn of Justice / The Dark World) but it's the same with comics. Not always does the cover reflect the story inside, let alone the tone (or artwork) of the story.

Sometimes, like Batman Returns, it's just an actual obeservation like Batman returns to the silver screen instead of actually him returning inside the Burtonverse.

It's nowhere near the worst, hell it's not even that bad... but I'm not much of a fan of 'The Winter Soldier'.

He wasn't important enough to that film's plot to warrant being in the title imo.

Love the movie, but I always felt X-Men: First Class was a horrible title.

Not sure if it counts but John Carter is a horrible title. I mean, yeah, it's the main character's name, but it's such an ordinary name that it doesn't get you interested in the movie at all unless you're already familiar with the character. They were originally going to call it John Carter of Mars, but dropped the "Mars" part because so many Mars movies had bombed at that point. So they went ahead and made an even bigger bomb by leaving the Mars references out of the marketing, lol.

It's nowhere near the worst, hell it's not even that bad... but I'm not much of a fan of 'The Winter Soldier'.

He wasn't important enough to that film's plot to warrant being in the title imo.

He was main part of story. That make him very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"