The Last Jedi Would you be pissed if they turn Luke into a bad guy?

I'd definitely be pissed if they made Luke into a baddie. He's that one guy who I want to see always stay a hero and he's been a hero since I was born (unlike superhero characters who go through phases in the comics).

Mark Hamill getting to play the bad guy? :hmm

Well, at least we know he can do it.

mark-hamill-trickster.jpg

It's a poignant part of Luke's story that in order to defeat Darth Vader, he had to use the dark side of the force. When he's wailing on Darth with his saber, he's tapping into his rage and emotion.

It's a poignant part of Luke's story that in order to defeat Darth Vader, he had to use the dark side of the force. When he's wailing on Darth with his saber, he's tapping into his rage and emotion.

Yep hence his vision in the cave, showing what he could become. No different than his father, and a slave to the darkens, fear, hate, etc... if he followed that path.
Yet what he does which his father never could, is recognizes that part of himself, he didn't purge it like the Jedi (Luke never finished his training), he made his own path, and in the end accepted that part of himself.
In doing so it couldn't control him, to the contrary. He switched off his saber and was willing to die before letting it control him.
Something his father could never do.
Upon seeing his son do what he thought was impossible, Vader knowing he himself was already lost, chose to kill the emperor and save his son.:cwink:

1vmzar.gif

Luke isn't going dark, he already is, it's a part of him, he's accepted that that side of himself, and it can't control him.
They aren't going back on that, that would be horrible writing.
The more interesting question now is how far is he willing to take Rey!?

Last edited:
No. Luke can't go bad. Redemption is part of the Skywalker legacy but that's what makes Luke special. He is an EXCEPTION. He resisted his father's temptation, and he resisted the dark side. Forget Ahsoka, Rey (assuming) and Kylo Ren..Luke is always attached to Anakin as the greatest part of his legacy. His father was the center of an ancient force prophecy, and he helped his father fulfill that prophecy.

Luke has to stay light as this heroic figure. Luke represents hope and legacy greater than anyone in the Skywalker lineage does. Star Wars, as we know it, is about the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker through his son. To have Rey save a fallen Luke would take a dump on Luke's aura as the true "heir" of the Skywalker name. Just as Rey NOT being a Skywalker with training takes a dump on the mythology that is the force.

That's not how he defeats Vader, it's how he nearly lost and the Emperor won. The point is that he doesn't defeat Vader. He chooses nonviolent self sacrifice. Love, in essence. And that's what finally reaches Anakin and causes him to end Palpatine and himself, destroying the Sith and fulfilling the prophecy.

If they did it... I would be disappointed to a degree and yet... Depends on the execution above all and I don't know, I like using icons to truly grapple with questions of morals and world view and so I think done well it would have a resonance for me.

Sorta, but I'd like to see how they approach it before deciding if it's good or bad (no pun intended). I actually think Luke falling to the dark side could make for an interesting story anyway, if done right.

If they had Luke turning evil then the story would become about trying to save him instead of focusing on Rey and Kylo. We've already done a plot about a Skywalker being redeemed from the Dark Side. Doing the same thing with Luke would just be a rehash and there's already been too much rehashing in this franchise. Unless they didn't redeem him, which would just be tragic and pretty much destroy the entire basis of the story.

I see a lot of people saying it's undo Luke's character arc, but they undid a good portion of Han's for the sake of the story, so it really would surprise me.

How did they undo Han' character arc? Nothing at the end of ROTJ indicated he would entirely abandon smuggling or skorting rhe law. Plus by the time of TFA he was estranged from his wife, one of his best friends had disappeared, and his son was a mass murdering war criminal. That sort of stuff has a profound effect on a person. Did people really expect him to be happy and content puttering around some home with Leia entirely on the straight and narrow path?

For a while after ROTJ he did charity stuff and races, qnd settled down. But Ben's fall to the darkside really did a number on Han and it seems he rerurned to what he knew (smuggling) to find some sort of solace and peace. That in no way undoes Han's OT character arc.

Nothing was undone. Time passed and not everyone lived happily ever after. Such is life.

Han Solo married Leia and they started a family. And it seems for a while they were happy. Something bad happened and their family broke apart. Nothing was undone.

I have to wonder what those saying they want to see Luke fall to the Dark Side, are actually talking about or imagining?

If it's Luke brooding, coldly shoving R2 aside and a couple of Porgs, killing storm troopers (which he's done more than his share), force choking, mind controlling, to get his way, killing bounty hunters, ship full of aliens and gangsters, a DS full of enlisted men, Tarkin , everyone on board, etc... all which hes done.
Or even if he's upped his game adding force lightning to fight and potentially out to kill someone like Snoke, his guards, or whatever his new Knights are.
None of that qualifies, as he's done comparable before, and stayed on the side of light.
1vucsf.gif

It really becomes about motive, even if he gets all broody and intense about it, close to the brink, none of that would mean actually falling to the Dark Side.
So what are you all talking about when you say Luke goes Dark?

What I consider Dark Side is turning on the Rebels, and Killing his own family? Potentially Leai? Out of anger, killing Rey, torturing, slaughtering a bunch of innocents, a village, kids, a planet out of hate, anger, all to get his way?
I don't see it.
Is this really what you want to see or imagine for Luke? LOL!
It's not happening.

Probably the deciding moment what it will come down to is; will he kill Kylo out of anger or not, especially if Kylo killed Lukes "mate" Rey's mother, and if Kylo next has a hand in Leia's death.
If after that he still senses something redeemable in him?
So that really depends more on Kylo than Luke.
There is Rey's vision where it looks like Kylo is really the one trying to save Rey, and kills the KoR.
1vud9l.gif

I can see either Luke or Rey about to kill Kylo, and the one stays the other's hand knowing there is redemption even there.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd be very pissed. It would honestly ruin the Original Trilogy for me.

I think that Snoke's fear about Luke making New Jedi is enough to persuade me that Luke is still a good sided force user. It's possible that he might reject the light / dark dynamic and become a more complex good guy, but I don't see him going full Vader at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"