What would classics be like if they were made today?

DACrowe said:
Check out The Adventure of Robin Hood (1938)

I'd like to draw special attention to this one. They try to do a new Robin Hood adaptation every few years, and 75 years later they still haven't managed to even come close to this version.

Hell, the best one since is probably the Mel Brooks version and the second best version of Robin Hood is almost certainly the Douglas Fairbanks version from way back in 1922.

A lot of them would be considered risky today. It's honestly a great thing that many classics came out in the past.

A lot of them would be considered risky today. It's honestly a great thing that many classics came out in the past.
I'm assuming you mean, movies like Jaws, Godfather and Star Wars came out in the 1970s and not today? :huh:

Yeah, that kinda stuff. Star Wars would have a good chance of being a John Carter type of flop.

Try and think about what the cinema landscape, pop culture and the world would be like if Star Wars had been a Tron-esque cult hit or just outright flopped instead of becoming the smash hit that it was.

Crazy, right?

It's weird thinking of the "entertainment/cultural" hole that would have been left if Star Wars was never made.

I don't think we'd have Indiana Jones. And if we did, Ford probably wouldn't have played him. Certainly plenty of movies would have been very different or not happened at all.

Try and think about what the cinema landscape, pop culture and the world would be like if Star Wars had been a Tron-esque cult hit or just outright flopped instead of becoming the smash hit that it was.

Crazy, right?

You have made me depressed off thinking about this. :o

Anyways, some Sci Fi's made like 10 years ago were timely released and would not have done as well like Minority Report IMO.

How many sci-fi movies/tv shows came about after Star Wars revolutionized pop culture, not to mention all the mentions/homages in other films.

This is why I laugh when people say Pirates, Matrix, is this generation's Star Wars because films that change a culture are very very few and far between.

Certainly plenty of movies would have been very different or not happened at all.
In the sci fi genre, mostly.
But Mr Lucas would perhaps have given us LOTR instead?

The directors would be hacks obsessed with easy riches and fame and the classic movies themselves would suffer as a result.

You have made me depressed off thinking about this. :o

Anyways, some Sci Fi's made like 10 years ago were timely released and would not have done as well like Minority Report IMO.

Good. :o

How many sci-fi movies/tv shows came about after Star Wars revolutionized pop culture, not to mention all the mentions/homages in other films.

This is why I laugh when people say Pirates, Matrix, is this generation's Star Wars because films that change a culture are very very few and far between.

If anything, the Marvel films are just because of their huge success, brand recognition and hype. Avengers has made Fox and Sony reconsider their CBM strategies and is making studios like Disney and Universal want to create their own cinematic universes, with Star Wars itself and the old monster characters respectively.

In the sci fi genre, mostly.
But Mr Lucas would perhaps have given us LOTR instead?

Wouldn't have happened.

If anything, the Marvel films are just because of their huge success, brand recognition and hype. Avengers has made Fox and Sony reconsider their CBM strategies and is making studios like Disney and Universal want to create their own cinematic universes, with Star Wars itself and the old monster characters respectively.
It's why I didn't include LOTR as it was a literary classic decades before the movies were released. Same thing with CBMs, you're talking about over half a decade of literary history.

The Matrix, like A New Hope was the perfect allegory at the perfect time.

It didn't have nearly the reach of Star Wars because it was aimed at adults and the sequels sucked.

If The Empire Strikes Back was R-rated and disappointed everyone there's no way Star Wars would've remained a pop culture phenomenon for decades.

I don't think we'd have Indiana Jones. And if we did, Ford probably wouldn't have played him. Certainly plenty of movies would have been very different or not happened at all.

Indiana Jones could work today if others weren't made, but I'm not sure.

It's why I didn't include LOTR as it was a literary classic decades before the movies were released. Same thing with CBMs, you're talking about over half a decade of literary history.

Ah yeah, true.

He wanted to adapt LOTR in the 70s!

Really? Woah.

It didn't have nearly the reach of Star Wars because it was aimed at adults and the sequels sucked.

If The Empire Strikes Back was R-rated and disappointed everyone there's no way Star Wars would've remained a pop culture phenomenon for decades.

I never liked The Matrix.

Indiana Jones could work today if others weren't made, but I'm not sure.

Well, it was Lucas' idea originally, right? Spielberg would still be a big name so I guess it probably would have still happened.

If Indy was made today then it would be drastically different and JJ Abrams would probably direct.

Well I think it was a lot of younger's people grab to make their favorite movie grander than it was? :huh:

Well, it was Lucas' idea originally, right? Spielberg would still be a big name so I guess it probably would have still happened.

If Indy was made today then it would be drastically different and JJ Abrams would probably direct.

I wouldn't mind an Abrams directed Indy. Let him direct Indy 5. 2 classic franchise takeovers! :o

We got a little taste of how a modern Indy would be with Indy 4. I must say, it was visually stunning!

Hey, I dug it. As did many other people.

Yeah, it wasn't as good as the others, but it has a pretty positive reaction from the Critics and GA. I

You keep telling yourself that buddy :o

We all know that if Indy begin mid 90's, Cruise would be playing him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"