Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

so do we know for sure if the Series X will be BC with ALL Xbox One games right out of the box?

that was my biggest disappointment with the PS5 news today - that the PS4 BC feature wasn't full BC as previously thought, but rather the "top 100" PS4 games will be BC at launch with more added in the future.

that's like what Xbox One did with 360 BC.

so do we know for sure if the Series X will be BC with ALL Xbox One games right out of the box?

that was my biggest disappointment with the PS5 news today - that the PS4 BC feature wasn't full BC as previously thought, but rather the "top 100" PS4 games will be BC at launch with more added in the future.

that's like what Xbox One did with 360 BC.
Yes, my understanding is that Series X's BC functionality will be similar to the Xbone family with much improvement.

thanks. that's a huge advantage over the PS5, imo.
Xbone has a LOT of advantages when you put the specs side by side
AlWqyrz.jpg

comparison.png

I do like the sound of automatic HDR on the system level, but I'm less fond of the need for patches/entire game downloads for BC improvements (high resolutions and frame-rates). As someone who does not buy digital games it's very unappealing, and defeats the entire purpose of what BC should be.
AlWqyrz.jpg

comparison.png
A simple comparison of stats does not tell the whole story. Real world performance between PS5 and Series X will have less of a gap than between PS4 & Xbox One. PS5's high frequencies will mitigate any big shortcomings, and the resulting 10-15% difference will not be readily apparent in third party games. Yes, Series X will likely have more ray tracing effects due to more CU's and higher TFlop count, but it's unclear how it will actually look until we see gameplay footage.

The biggest and only real difference between the two is the SSD speed, but again this will most likely not affect third party games all that much. Series X exclusives will probably take advantage of its greater ray tracing potential, while PS5's first party titles will design with the much faster abilities of its SSD in mind. This is not just about loading times, but asset retrieval and data processing, meaning more diverse, expansive and detailed game worlds.

Both consoles are more similar than they are different, and the disparity in raw numbers is not a big obstacle in game development. The developers comments I've read seem most interested in Sony's much faster SSD than in Microsoft's slightly more powerful machine.

In the end the two biggest factors as always are still price and games. Series X looks to be the more expensive of the two. It also needs to generate excitement for its upcoming exclusives that Sony already has earned from their current gen releases. Short-term disappointment with PS5's marketing so far will almost certainly be forgotten once gameplay starts being shown. We're still at least eight months away from launch, plenty of time to course correct the narrative.

Last edited:
AlWqyrz.jpg

comparison.png
10.28 teraflops variable (ie max) vs constant 12 teraflops plus a stronger CPU. I wasn't really expecting that level of difference. Surely the prices will have to be different if this is the case.

10.28 teraflops variable (ie max) vs constant 12 teraflops plus a stronger CPU. I wasn't really expecting that level of difference. Surely the prices will have to be different if this is the case.
it seems like all those "leaks/rumors" that PS5 was 9 Tflops weren't too far off the mark.

it's possible that the PS5 reaches 10.28 Tflops max when boosted, but normal range could be closer to that 9 Tflops.

also, PS5 isn't even giving you a whole 1TB of internal storage. It's only 825 GB, which means even less when you factor out the OS space.

it seems like all those "leaks/rumors" that PS5 was 9 Tflops weren't too far off the mark.

it's possible that the PS5 reaches 10.28 Tflops max when boosted, but normal range could be closer to that 9 Tflops.

also, PS5 isn't even giving you a whole 1TB of internal storage. It's only 825 GB, which means even less when you factor out the OS space.
I expected the next gen consoles to be weaker than my pc but not that much weaker. Plus the pc will be upgraded multiple times over the lifetime of the consoles. It's disappointing as I was hoping the 2 consoles would be on the same level so that next gen games would have a high bar and lowest common denominator and be able to push harder. The PS5 has a much faster SSD but that again I would have preferred if both consoles did it so that 3rd parties would take full advantage.

I expected the next gen consoles to be weaker than my pc but not that much weaker. Plus the pc will be upgraded multiple times over the lifetime of the consoles. It's disappointing as I was hoping the 2 consoles would be on the same level so that next gen games would have a high bar and lowest common denominator and be able to push harder. The PS5 has a much faster SSD but that again I would have preferred if both consoles did it so that 3rd parties would take full advantage.
yeah, it will probably be 1st party Sony studios taking full advantage of their faster hdd.

but it's interesting to see the 2 consoles take different focuses. Speed (PS5) vs Power (Xbox).

Also, the PS5 will probably be the cheaper console, given the overall specs. And that will probably help it sales wise.

but what seals the deal for me is MS placing a greater emphasis on bridging multiple gens with BC on Xbox. whereas Sony is just doing a weak, half-as**** approach with limited PS4 BC at launch.

Unlike other devices with a boost mode it is the normal state for PS5. You can't use it with boost mode turned off. As such it should always be at or near its design spec of 10.28 Tflops.

As for data storage, I'm not sure how it'll work for next-gen but my hope is that there'll be a new way of storing data comparable to the codec innovation with 4K media. 4K discs use HEVC/H.265, which is the same level of quality as MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 but only 25-50% of the size.

Data duplication will also not be an issue as HDD's are no longer a factor and there aren't base & mid-gen consoles necessitating different texture qualities. That should save a lot of space. But then storage has never been a big concern for me, as I still use discs so whenever I finish a game I just delete it.
In raw power next gen is weaker than PC, but then that's always been the case. The whole idea behind consoles is that there are many customizations and shortcuts used to get around that, so in the end you get near the same graphical and processing capabilities at a fraction of the cost. It also helps that developers are designing for at most one or two specs of hardware, versus the thousands of variations for PC.

It's all about power versus price, and with next-gen you get a machine with a GPU equivalent to an RTX 2080 TI and an SSD that's faster than anything currently available on PC for only $400-600.

This is also a huge leap when compared to last gen. The mid-gen upgrades were still built from the base consoles' code so their specs are irrelevant. Going from 50-100MB/s HDDs to 2.5GB/s SSDs is enormous, as is the jump from 1.3 TFlops to 10. There's also the efficiency gains in RDNA 2 compared to GCN, so PS5's 10 TFlops is actually over 13 Tflops in real performance. And that's without including the console's inherent optimizations and shortcuts.

Last edited:
got my Ori and Will O Wisp Collector's Edition today! :D

still need to finish the first game, but I couldn't pass up this relatively cheap collector's edition.

1st game is one of the prettiest games I've ever seen, and the 2nd one looks to be equally beautiful.

MS should really buy the studio that does Ori and lock them down as an exclusive 1st party studio.

I was worried as I clicked the article but it's not bad or many. Mostly tv stuff and I don't use them, so it doesn't affect me

Oh nice. That's massive for me.
Well, actually, since I posted that, the official Xbox twitter walked that claim back slightly with a corrected post.

So now, they are confirming "thousands" of Xbox games will be BC at launch.

As such, there is still an air of uncertainty, and someone high up like Phil needs to come out and clarify once and for all if the intent/goal is to get all Xbox One games, plus all currently BC 360 and OG Xbox games, BC on the Series X by launch or soon after.

If that's the goal, and they just can't commit to saying anything definite due to testing, then I'll understand.

But I'm hoping, by launch or shortly thereafter, all Xbox One games and all currently BC games will be playable on the Series X.

Last edited:
Well, actually, since I posted that, the official Xbox twitter walked that claim back slightly with a corrected post.

So now, they are confirming "thousands" of Xbox games will be BC at launch.

As such, there is still an air of uncertainty, and someone high up like Phil needs to come out and clarify once and for all if the intent/goal is to get all Xbox One games, plus all currently BC 360 and OG Xbox games, BC on the Series X by launch or soon after.

If that's the goal, and they just can't commit to saying anything definite due to testing, then I'll understand.

But I'm hoping, by launch or shortly thereafter, all Xbox One games and all currently BC games will be playable on the Series X.

For 360 BC I only expected it to be the ones that are already BC on X1. I think they'll eventually add every game they deem important enough and there will be a good number left off, like old sports games and ultra-niche games. I was hoping everything on X1 would make the move though.

For 360 BC I only expected it to be the ones that are already BC on X1. I think they'll eventually add every game they deem important enough and there will be a good number left off, like old sports games and ultra-niche games. I was hoping everything on X1 would make the move though.
yeah, I was just expecting every game currently playable on the X1, which would include all X1 games (minus Kinect stuff obviously) and the current 360 and OG BC games on the X1.

hopefully, that is still their end goal and we get more clarity on it as we approach launch. If "thousands" of games are confirmed playable now, hopefully that means even more will have been tested and deemed playable by launch.

and then, once everything is up and running, they resume the BC process to add new 360 and OG games to the BC catalog.

yeah, I was just expecting every game currently playable on the X1, which would include all X1 games (minus Kinect stuff obviously) and the current 360 and OG BC games on the X1.

hopefully, that is still their end goal and we get more clarity on it as we approach launch. If "thousands" of games are confirmed playable now, hopefully that means even more will have been tested and deemed playable by launch.

and then, once everything is up and running, they resume the BC process to add new 360 and OG games to the BC catalog.
I’d be interested in what OG games will eventually be playable. I don’t know much about the games from that gen on Xbox.

I’d be interested in what OG games will eventually be playable. I don’t know much about the games from that gen on Xbox.
same here. maybe the bare minimum would be to get at least every OG that was BC on the 360, barring licensing issues of course.

I think there were some Capcom fighting games and a Bloody Roar game on the OG Xbox. I'd love to see those and more fighters from that era make it over.

Would also love to see Street Fighter X Tekken from the 360 make the list.

same here. maybe the bare minimum would be to get at least every OG that was BC on the 360, barring licensing issues of course.

I think there were some Capcom fighting games and a Bloody Roar game on the OG Xbox. I'd love to see those and more fighters from that era make it over.

Would also love to see Street Fighter X Tekken from the 360 make the list.
Is SF X Tekken not on the list? That sounds like a high profile omission if so.

Is SF X Tekken not on the list? That sounds like a high profile omission if so.
sadly, it's not on the list. :(

since they seem to have no plans to revisit the series, or do the Tekken X Street Fighter followup, having SxT as BC would have been nice.

oh well.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"