Dark of the Moon You guys realize that the ROBOTS cost MONEY...right?

CelticPredator

Superhero
Reaction score
The amount of money, and memory it takes to render a single FRAME of ONE robot is HUGE. The only way you'll get a pure 100% Transformers focused movie will be either an all CGI movie like DreamWorks or Pixar....or a new cartoon.

Remember how Devastator blew up the computer at ILM? :hehe:

That's why the focus is more on humans. Because filming human characters is cheaper. (pay checks aside).

And not to mention that HUMANS RELATE to other HUMANS. Most people relate to Sam's job hunting. I dont think most people can relate to Optimus searching for the Pillars of transportation.

I figured all the people *****ing about this should understand how these movies work.

i disagree after TF2. TF2 made 800 millions worldwide and 400 domestic. i understand that they couldnt have more robots for the first and second movie.

but for the third movie they could have used 40% more robots in the final battle.

Yeah definitely. In fairness the Transformers 1 end battle balanced it out fairly well between humans and bots. The bots are very left out in the past 2 endings. There was not a prolonged fight like in ROTF in DOTM. even.

Last edited:
That's because they had more. They had a ton of bots. But you have to factor in the bots, the explosions, ect...

No matter what, the robots cost way more money then anything else in the movie. I'm sure the time the bots were in both movies would be the same as in the first one. The Autobots didnt even show up until an hour into Transfomers...and they showed up before Sam Witwicky did in 2...

I would actually like to see the time. CAuse Bumble Bee vs Barricade, Prime Vs Bone Crusher and the whole last act of Transformers 1 seemed like more screen time for the bots. But I would really have to compare. I felt the absence in DOTM for bots was the worst of the three. At least ROTF had the Forrest scene. Id have to watch back to back and compare , I very well could be wrong.

I dont know...There was a 20 minute gap between Sentinal Prime, and Optimus Prime.

The heart of the franchise IS Sam, sorry to say. He comes first, because he is the main character.

I dont know...There was a 20 minute gap between Sentinal Prime, and Optimus Prime.

The heart of the franchise IS Sam, sorry to say. He comes first, because he is the main character.

Your right he is. It could be I just thought the first film was balanced better between bots in humans.

I agree with you. It was. This movie needed to be cut down a bit, and have a better pacing.

Like I said, I think things were cut. I'll try to ask Bay on his forum. He probably wont reply, but who knows.

There are ways to use the Transformers a modest amount without having them randomly disappear for no reason. The Autobots were a non-factor in the Chicago invasion.

There is nothing wrong with human characters in a Transformers film if they are well written, compelling and makes one care if they are in trouble or not.

I honestly dont think people want humans removed from the plot entirely - they just want MICHAEL BAY'S depiction of these human characters removed.

His treatment of women as nothing more as sex objects, his blatent racism to ANY minority group; and his wacky insipid wonky idiots that stumble around.

You'd think they could take 10 minutes away from the overly long action and use them to flesh the Transformers out. Honestly, one of the things people complain is how, even if amazing, the action just drags on and on. It was basically the same problem in ROTF. Instead of showing me for 20-30 minutes, robots bashing each other's head in and blowing **** up, tighten the action and give us some character development.

The franchise is about Robots, not humans.

Bay didn't care about the characters, thus, he didn't give a damn if the film made sense.

This is true. But this hasn't really been the problem.

The Twins, the construction-combiner, and the large drill-bot bringing the building down used up a lot of money. It's about allocating that money on the main Autobots... not bots we don't care about.

I still can't believe the Twins got so much ****ing screen time, and Sideswipe barely had any lines.

I understand your point. As someone who aims to work in the industry, I'm aware of the realities of the general audience, budgets, and time. But I'd like to point out the following:

The amount of money, and memory it takes to render a single FRAME of ONE robot is HUGE. The only way you'll get a pure 100% Transformers focused movie will be either an all CGI movie like DreamWorks or Pixar....or a new cartoon.

That's why the focus is more on humans. Because filming human characters is cheaper. (pay checks aside).

Transformers
Budget: $150 million
Gross revenue: $709,709,780 ($319,246,193 in North America, $390,463,587 foreign)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Budget: $200 million
Gross revenue: $836,297,228 ($402,111,870 in North America, $836,297,228 foreign)

These movies earn back double their investment domestically, not adding in the marketing expenses (Paramount still makes big profits regardless). The initial risk is lessened by Bay's deals with the military for face time and Paramount's partnership with GM to minimize expenses; the budgets would be much higher otherwise. Still, they've made more than enough that- if they wanted to- they could make a mostly CG Transformers sequel. The only major sacrifice would be how many parts per robot could be modeled in time for release, and most of the complaints about the robots to begin with stem from their incredibly nuanced designs, so simplifying them could be a plus.

Are you right, in thinking a movie without humans wouldn't work? Probably; few want to sit through a subtitled sci-fi flick, and fewer still without the...comedy guys like Turturro and Keong bring. I'd watch it, but it'd also be fair to ask why the robots must look realistic without Earth elements to contrast with. It's also undeniable many audience members want to see where Sam's character goes next from movie to movie. At the same time, though, we don't need so many superfluous filler scenes to bridge the human story with the main plot. That we keep getting them has more to do with Bay than the time and cost ILM accrues rendering bots; these movies are long enough as is.

Last edited:
You do realize in the first movie while Sam was looking for the glasses we could have had a quiet drama scene with the Autobots in car form talking to each other via holograms and give us some character development but instead Bay decided to have Optimus stomp around going, "My Bad!"

Not to mention the Gremlins in ROTF, Wheelie, extra pointless Decepticons. Can you imagine if the movies were actually good? The droolers would go see the movie regardless and the intelligent people would actually get a decent science fiction epic.

Not to mention Bay's military fetsish and apparently the US Military are a bunch of self obsessed, prideful freaks to the point they can't be shows as 'losing' in any film (I hope this is not true)

Making deals with car companies was a good idea though. I would have spoken with some foreign companies as opposed to just GM and Chevrolet. Used some older, obscure cars.

Last edited:
That does not give Bay an excuse to have almost every non military human being in the movie be borderline insane. But even then the military in these movies always have a few insane people as well

And not to mention that HUMANS RELATE to other HUMANS. Most people relate to Sam's job hunting. I dont think most people can relate to Optimus searching for the Pillars of transportation.

I figured all the people *****ing about this should understand how these movies work.

Maybe if they simplified the robots, it would be cheaper. We don't need 3000 individual moving parts per robot.

You guys realize that Bay & Hasbro are only in it for the money right?
You know, if I ever make a company I'm going to do whatever it takes to earn the largest profits.
But I will never prostitute my own products unlike Hasbro.

On the other hand because they give so little a damn about their own products we have the stellar My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (I'm 100% serious) from the studio that brought you Powerpuff Girls & Foster's Home. The show is currently an internet darling while Transformers is universally hated. Both making money though.

That does not give Bay an excuse to have almost every non military human being in the movie be borderline insane. But even then the military in these movies always have a few insane people as well
Well yeah. But, that's Bay's humor. Love it, like it, neutral towards it, or loath it...it's his.

Or maybe not. You never know who's idea is what. For all we know, Spielberg could've said "Hey, you should get that Hangover Asian dude to drop his pants in front of Shia and yell DEEP WANG! DEEEEP WANG!"

But still. It's Bay's movie...I'm not going pull a Lucas-Tard fanboy thing here and say "HE CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS TOOOO!"

He can. Doesnt mean I approve. But I saw ROTF 3 times during it's opening run (Sue me, the movie is visually impressive) and everyone laughed at all the ****** jokes.

Why? Because it was filled with mostly kids ages 11-17. That's who laughs at jokes like DEEEEP WANGGG!. Thats why Bay puts them in. He talks about it on the commentary.

That is also why that shot of Megan's ass is in ROTF. 15 year old kids eat that up. That's who forks down the most dough during the summer season. Not 8 year olds. Not 30 year olds....teenagers.

Maybe if they simplified the robots, it would be cheaper. We don't need 3000 individual moving parts per robot.
Well, as subjective as this is...I ****ing hate G1's designs. Always have. These feel real, and look Alien.

G1 looks like Japanese crap to me.....and it is. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"