Your favorite comics writer

MarvelFan

The Nine-tailed White Fox
Reaction score
From Marvel, DC, Image, DarkHorse, JUMP, Kodansha, etc.

List who is your current favorite comic books writer and which works from him/her that you love the most.

For me:
1. URASAWA NAOKI (20th Century Boys)
2. JASON AARON (Thor)
3. MATSUI YUSEI (Classroom Assassination)
4. ED BRUBAKER (Captain America, Daredevil)
5. ODA EIICHIROU (One Piece)

My #1 is still Mark Waid. I don’t know that I ever see anyone surpassing him. I loved his Justice League run (which included the classic Tower of Babel story). I’m currently re-reading and loving his Daredevil run. His newest DC work with World’s Finest has been amazing. And then there is the classic Superman:Birthright. And lest we forget that he wrote the greatest comic book ever published in Kingdom Come.

I’m also a huge fan of Peter Tomasi. His Superman run in Rebirth may be the best that the character has ever been written in an ongoing series. His Super Sons is pure, concentrated joy. And (hot take here) his Nightwing run was the best that the character was ever written until Taylor’s recent run.

Finally, I know that he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but when Tom King is bringing his “A” game, there is no one better. I have made it no secret that I believe that Superman:Up in the Sky is the best Superman story ever written and maybe my favorite comic published in the last 10 years. King’s current Human Target mini is absolutely intriguing and brilliantly written. I think his Omega Men mini is an unsung masterpiece and maybe his second-best work. In some ways (but not as a whole) it even surpasses Up in the Sky. Omega Men was provocative and challenging. It makes you have to reconsider your own world views as you read it. And then there is his Mister Miracle, which is an existential mind trip. It is fun and tragic and goofy and terrifying and heartwarming and heartbreaking. But it is never boring.

If I were to give an honorable mention, it would be to Gene Luen Yang. I loved his New Superman in Rebirth. He introduced a character that would have been easy to dismiss and made you genuinely care about him. And if Up in the Sky is the best Superman book of the past 15 years, well, Superman Smashes the Klan is not far behind and may be the #2. And if you haven’t read his run in Batman/Superman, well…you need to. I’ve not read his Shang Chi run, but I need to.

I have enjoyed some stuff from Tom Taylor. All-New Wolverine, and most recently Dark Knights of Steel.

I like James Tynion IV's Batman stuff, I first read Batman & Robin Eternal from him. Can't say I've read anything non-Batman from him. Same with Scott Snyder. Enjoyed Court of Owls and other Batman stuff from him.

I've read and enjoyed many DC books from Geoff Johns, but I don't think any of them would be my favourites.

There are other series that I've really enjoyed, but until I see other works from the author, hard to say if I just like the one series or the writer. I'm definitely missing some other favourites.

My #1 is still Mark Waid. I don’t know that I ever see anyone surpassing him. I loved his Justice League run (which included the classic Tower of Babel story). I’m currently re-reading and loving his Daredevil run. His newest DC work with World’s Finest has been amazing. And then there is the classic Superman:Birthright. And lest we forget that he wrote the greatest comic book ever published in Kingdom Come.

I read Superman: Birthright in a University class, probably not really knowing Mark Waid at the time. Just recently read his Batman vs. Robin #1 and discussed a bit in my monthly wrap-up. I was impressed by the writing. Usually I feel out of the loop when I haven't read the series leading into a comic, but seemed to have all the necessary context and info needed. Plan to continue reading that series, quite enjoyed it.

I read Superman: Birthright in a University class, probably not really knowing Mark Waid at the time. Just recently read his Batman vs. Robin #1 and discussed a bit in my monthly wrap-up. I was impressed by the writing. Usually I feel out of the loop when I haven't read the series leading into a comic, but seemed to have all the necessary context and info needed. Plan to continue reading that series, quite enjoyed it.
Please tell me that you’ve read Kingdom Come. If not, you absolutely have to remedy it. I’d also recommend Justice League: Tower of Babel and his new World’s Finest run.

Can't say I've read anything non-Batman from him. Same with Scott Snyder. Enjoyed Court of Owls and other Batman stuff from him.
My favorite Snyder work was his Swamp Thing run.

Please tell me that you’ve read Kingdom Come. If not, you absolutely have to remedy it. I’d also recommend Justice League: Tower of Babel and his new World’s Finest run.

My favorite Snyder work was his Swamp Thing run.

I haven't read Kingdom Come. I might read World's Finest if I can find some time since it connects to the Batman vs Robin series I'm reading.

I’ve been thinking about this thread. Even if not talking about current writers, who are your favorite writers of all time?

My top 10 would be:
1. Jack Kirby
2. Alan Moore
3. Mark Waid
4. Denny O’Neil
5. Len Wein
6. Steve Englehart
7. Marv Wolfman
8. Jim Starlin
9. Geoff Johns
10. Tom King

As to my favorite current writers, I’d maintain the list I mentioned earlier in the thread of Waid, Peter Tomasi, Tom King, and Gene Luen Yang. But I would also now add Chip Zdarsky to the list, having read his Daredevil run as well as how his Batman run started with the amazing Failsafe arc.

I haven't kept up with most weekly comics in several years, but my favorite writer and artist is James O'Barr, creator of "The Crow". I got to meet and speak with him many times, between 2006 and 2014, and he also did two custom sketches for me. Check them out for yourself.

Crow_sketch1.jpg

Crow_sketch2.jpg

Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)

So far, I've been enjoying Kenta Shinohara's works (the creator of Sket Dance). I've never read Sket Dance myself, but Kanata no Astra and Witch Watch are very fun reads.

Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)

So far, I've been enjoying Kenta Shinohara's works (the creator of Sket Dance). I've never read Sket Dance myself, but Kanata no Astra and Witch Watch are very fun reads.
Since we're talking manga in this case, ditto on Oda and I'll add Fujimoto and ONE to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"