DC Animation “My Adventures with Superman” in the works at Max

MAWS is getting a home release….. but on DVD only so far. SMH.
200w.gif

Well that is an appropriately different way to get the Fortress for this version.

Sooner than I was expecting!!! :mrk:

Which is a good thing because there's no way of knowing whether this show will get another season. I think the only reason why we're getting a second season (and so quickly) is because the network had ordered for reasons from the beginning.

Which is a good thing because there's no way of knowing whether this show will get another season. I think the only reason why we're getting a second season (and so quickly) is because the network had ordered for reasons from the beginning.

Its how modern animation works. A decision on season 3 (and more episodes) has likely already been made.

So, I've been watching the show, I was looking forward to it since it was announcedced, and... I don't like it. :(

I've got a million different little problems with it, but the main issue I have is that the show seems so preoccupied with making sure we know it isn't Zack Snyder, it forgot to figure out what it actually IS. It doesn't have much of an identity of its own, in my opinion. Just vaguely gesturing towards character beats that were earned a lot more effectively in anime like Sailor Moon, and then paying lips service to Superman's morals.

Listen, I want to make one thing clear, I do not like Zack Snyder. Not being Zack Snyder is an important quality that every DC project needs to have. But a story is so much more than what it isn't.

The villains are bland, the changes made to them all feel unmotivated, and the show has a lot of unearned story beats. Lois jumping off the roof to test Clark and being mad he kept secrets from her only works after they've been writing partners for years, not weeks. In such a short time frame, it really makes the character seem unreasonably demanding of the new guy at work she's been flirting with, not rightfully pissed that your writing partner of 5+ years has been keeping the biggest secret in the world from you after you've been through hell together multiple times.

Also, giving Superman a henshin was a mistake. The narrative utility of Superman's costume is how much it humanizes him. His mom made it for him. He wears it under his street clothes all the time. There's something very grounding about those facts.

Last edited:
Seems to me like they basically made one season and split it in two and called it two seasons.

So, I've been watching the show, I was looking forward to it since it was announcedced, and... I don't like it. :(

I've got a million different little problems with it, but the main issue I have is that the show seems so preoccupied with making sure we know it isn't Zack Snyder, it forgot to figure out what it actually IS. It doesn't have much of an identity of its own, in my opinion. Just vaguely gesturing towards character beats that were earned a lot more effectively in anime like Sailor Moon, and then paying lips service to Superman's morals.

Listen, I want to make one thing clear, I do not like Zack Snyder. Not being Zack Snyder is an important quality that every DC project needs to have. But a story is so much more than what it isn't.

The villains are bland, the changes made to them all feel unmotivated, and the show has a lot of unearned story beats. Lois jumping off the roof to test Clark and being mad he kept secrets from her only works after they've been writing partners for years, not weeks. In such a short time frame, it really makes the character seem unreasonably demanding of the new guy at work she's been flirting with, not rightfully pissed that your writing partner of 5+ years has been keeping the biggest secret in the world from you after you've been through hell together multiple times.

Also, giving Superman a henshin was a mistake. The narrative utility of Superman's costume is how much it humanizes him. His mom made it for him. He wears it under his street clothes all the time. There's something very grounding about those facts.
Sorry to hear you felt this way. I personally had the opposite experience! Every episode of the first season felt like a win to me, and I think it 100% knows what it wants to be and charges right into that quite bravely.

I didn't feel like any of it was some kind of direct push back on Snyder's version of the characters. It just felt like a new take on the characters, that embodies all the core qualities that feel important to me. And I think every interview I've seen with Josie Campbell just reinforces that. She's clearly a huge fan, and a knowledgeable one to boot.

The show at points had me joyfully cheering, and at other points, crying, because it hits the notes I love so well.

My overall vibe each episode was just 'yeah, I have no notes'. And I'm usually pretty critical of shows flaws, even when I love them (I.e. Smallville, S&L).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"