• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Beware the Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's a rookie much longer no criminal will fear him. "Beware the Batman"? Why? Because he might let you get away?

Am I the only one who loves the lines they give Batman? It's like he taunts the villains without trying to be funny.

I noticed and loved his taunting from the very first episode. I'm glad they have kept up with it. Like in the last episode how he taunted Stagg.

If he's a rookie much longer no criminal will fear him. "Beware the Batman"? Why? Because he might let you get away?

So first you weekly wanna complain about how BTAS is the preferreble story telling animation, now you're complaining about the title? Jesus christ, i'm glad you weren't around when Brave & Bold was airing weekly.
Am I the only one who loves the lines they give Batman? It's like he taunts the villains without trying to be funny.

Yeah, Batman gets the best lines. It's almost like he was Dick Grayson/Spider-Man with his taunts haha.

So first you weekly wanna complain about how BTAS is the preferreble story telling animation, now you're complaining about the title? Jesus christ, i'm glad you weren't around when Brave & Bold was airing weekly.

Are you being serious? I can't tell.

The other alternative is that you think anything critical is a complaint, which is an absurd position to take. I didn't complain about the title. In fact (this will probably blow your socks off) I LOVE THE TITLE. So you'll have to read my statement regarding the title again in order to figure out what my point really was. Maybe then you can actually address my points rather than repeatingly labeling me as a "complainer."

By the way, I quite enjoyed Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, and even "The Batman" TV show. Why? They succeeded at what they set out to do. BTB hasn't so far. So I'm by no means chained to BTAS. I'll reiterate why I bring BTAS up now and again (its by no means a crucial part of my argument, nor of my opinion):

Criticism /= complaining. And comparisons are an important part of criticism... this show doesn't exist in a vacuum. Obviously they are two different shows, there's no need to insult anyone's intelligence by pointing that out.

This show has made a concerted and intentional effort to focus on c- and d-lister villains rather than a-listers. Is that a random choice? No. It has a purpose. And I'm critiquing the execution, saying that so far it hasn't lived up to the challenge. I'm judging the show on the basis of its own aims and criteria. The comparison with BTAS was to show that, believe it or not, BTAS was BETTER at making d-lister villains more mainstream. If anything, it was an anachronistic comparison / judgment of BTAS on Beware the Batman's goals and premises, not vis versa.

he let the Joker (among others) escape almost every time in the comics during the golden age...

I have to agree with thephantasm..

Batman just isn't succeeding..

He's failing these guys aren't even busting out of jail, there just getting away, there's quite a few villains and none are being caught!

Batman is more clinical than that in my eyes, he brings resolution to plots.

As far as some criminals getting away...if Batman's still foiling their plots, doesn't that make his mission a success for the most part? I mean, it's not as if these guys are succeeding and Batman is acting like a bumbling, incompetent idiot. Seems like a silly complaint, at this point.

Good point Shape. He is stopping them, the only "failure" he had was in not healing Metamorpho. But it wasn't his fault he became that was in the first place.

Its not about success so much as the reputation or urban legend of the Batman. "Beware" the Batman? Why "beware"? Why should enemies be afraid of someone who at best will temporarily inconvenience them?

Its not about success so much as the reputation or urban legend of the Batman. "Beware" the Batman? Why "beware"? Why should enemies be afraid of someone who at best will temporarily inconvenience them?

Good to see you're still coming up with new material, Seinfeld. :oldrazz:

Good to see you're still coming up with new material, Seinfeld. :oldrazz:

tumblr_mhgoxaRGhy1s49yrzo1_500.gif

:funny: it is hilarious to read my comment (the one you quoted) in Seinfeld's voice

Perhaps this is too broad an idea to be discussed here, but I have to say that I can see how an argument can be made that this critique could easily be applied to most versions of the Batman we've had. It's an intellectual, and somewhat pedantic position, but darn it, I will just put it out there: Why should anyone fear Batman, when most people know that death is off the table for him? This could apply to a mess of heroes from the funny books, but it really is a logical problem for ole flying rat man I think. After a somewhat short period, would not most criminals, especially the higher ups in management so to speak just be like, "at best I might get a little roughed up but this guy's rep is not intimidating." They touched on this in TDK with the Maroni scene. What Batman does to him is painful, but to put some kind of all encompassing fear in a hardened criminal it takes more than the,frankly, always kid friendly tactics Batman is usually written as using. This is where I thought the sequel to TDK was going to go, so as to make things more logical. Yes it's unfortunate that Bruce takes the fall for what Harvey did at the end, but at least from that point out criminals WOULD have an incident to say, "this guy is so crazy he killed the D.A. Who knows what he'll do?" It would have given him a rep on the streets.

I know this is just fanboy nitpicking. In story explanations are just window dressing for the editorial stance that both helped the books become iconic within American culture, and yet also keeps them from progressing very much. The no kill rule is important to me. But I am not blind to how this would "Realistically" unfold.

Is this a Golden Age depiction of Batman?

Excuse me, I forgot only the modern age batman could be use as an aspiration, and everything written before year one doesn't matter anymore... :doh:

will be checking out this show tonight, finally. fingers crossed that i'll enjoy it :)

I liked the Metamorpho episode, are we getting more DC characters outside of characters you normally find in Batman comics any time soon?

Léo Ho Tep;26679025 said:
Excuse me, I forgot only the modern age batman could be use as an aspiration, and everything written before year one doesn't matter anymore... :doh:

Come on, Leo, you know that wasn't what I was saying.

I'm trying to critique the show on its own basis and principles. Is the show designed to be a Golden Age Batman show? No. It clearly IS a modern Batman telling. I'm not trying to import external criteria (i.e. "the show tells Golden Age stories") to explain away its internal inconsistencies.

That said, I think all of you are taking my criticisms of the show too hard. I'm expressing some dissatisfaction with how I find the show to be generic, and raising some questions in the process. The reaction to my criticisms seems to be disproportionate to the nature of the criticisms.

Anyhow, I think I'm done with this thread for now. Its becoming more about people wanting to label me as a "complainer" and less about the show, and I didn't want or intend or expect that to happen just because I posted a few negative reviews.

watched the first 2 eps last night/this morning, too tired to finish watching the 3rd.
1 and 2 were only ok. i haven't given up on it just yet tho.

Toxic was good. They do okay with the supernatural stuff in this show. I also like Stagg as a character. For some reason it makes me hope we see Dent and Selina long before they don their costumes.

the cartoon just looks to cheap for 2013. i saw one episode and clips. i dont think i saw anyone walking on the streets of Gothham. it looks so empty and simple.

it looks to simple and cheap even for a saturday cartoon.

I think it can be justified the lack of people on the streets by it being late at night but it still feels empty and abandoned. In a city that size, you'd expect at least a few people to be roaming around even if it's between bars, night clubs or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"