• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Contest of Marvels 3 Discussion Thread

I will post my opening arguments as soon as the the other two threads are up.

Thanks Jewhob for the efforts you are making.

OK guys maybe someone official could come in here and discuss what the plan is. The wa it is going now, I would suggest that we go on hiatus until September unless people plan to participate earlier. I am around until the end of August and then will be away for 2 weeks.

That works for me, if you guys think that people are not around because of the summer season.

Before we can make a decision, we should probably pm everyone and see what they're up to.

I'm fine with this, especially since we have been losing some people. Summer is busy enough as it is anyway so I am down to start back up in September.

I am just saying that unless people are going to participate then this contest will lose interest. I enjoy this contest the most among the games here and would hate to see this fail.

I am now assuming that we do not start up until September and I would ask that the contest start again on the 7th as I am away until then. Otherwise I have ample time to debate up to the 20th of August if others feel inclined.

I can definately use it myself. I've just been swamped and exhausted of late. The summer is my busy season at work and it's kicking my butt. But school starts again in September so it slows down and I'll have most of my mornings free again.

By the way Phaed... how's it feel to have a conversation of your own with the writer of Amazing Spider-Man? Cool guy isn't he?

Man, bad day. I was getting off of work and got a call from my mother. My brother's wife was in labor with their daughter but they ended up losing the baby only seconds after it was born. I'm playing the good uncle/brother by entertaining their son and my sister and keeping a light atmosphere for them but man... I'm just not feeling it. Needed to get away for a few minutes and vent. Sorry guys, just needed a minute.

So sorry to hear about their loss, JH. I couldn't even imagine the pain they must be feeling. It's good that you are there for them. I'll have your family in my thoughts and prayers.

On a side note, it was great to get to ask Dan those questions. When I'm at the conventions, I never know what to say to these great writers and artists, except "Thank You" when they sign my comics. I'm very bad when it comes to social interactions, especially if it's people I don't know. If there was one thing I could improve about myself, that would be it.

Again, your family is in my prayers.

You know, JH...that's what I love about comics. They let us get away from our problems, even if for just the 10 or so minutes it takes to read an issue. I know what got me so into comics when I was a pre-teen was I didn't have to think of all the crap that was going on in my life at the time. Also, with each issue's conclusion, it gave you something to look forward to.

I got to hold my niece for the one and only time before she's sent off for autopsy tomorrow. She was absolutely beautiful. I held it in and was trying to be strong for my brother and his wife but when I heard them and the nurse discussing funeral arangements I had to excuse myself. I faught the tears for a good hour or more but lost it in the very end right as I was leaving. Fortuately neither of them had to see me as I was on my way out to the car. I cried all the way home and once I realized the kids were asleep already I broke down again to my wife. It's been a hard weekend. Really hard.

That's so tough, JH. I'm glad you can share what you and your family is going through with your friends on this discussion thread. Keep us updated, as I do consider you a very good friend. Much love to your family, buddy.

All my condolonces JH. It must be very hard and I just hope you and your family can pull through.

That's so tough, JH. I'm glad you can share what you and your family is going through with your friends on this discussion thread. Keep us updated, as I do consider you a very good friend. Much love to your family, buddy.

Well, you asked. I got a call today from my mother. Justin and Heather came home yesterday and apparently last night they both woke up hearing babies crying all throughout the house. This freaked them out and then suddenly they were both very very angry with each other and started talking about divorce and separation and suicide. Then later it passed and they realized that they didn't think any of those things and have no idea why or how they even said them.

Now they're totally freaking out.

My christian thoughts are that either they're losing their mind and need counceling or, more likely, are demon oppressed due to their grief and anger toward God. I've seen it before. My brother, Justin, has asked that I come over and talk to him about God because he's realizing there's something going on bigger than him and I've dealt with this kind of stuff so I'm going to go pray for him and maybe over his apartment. He's lived a very rough life doing what he wants and I think this has been a real eye opener. Not saying they shouldn't still get counceling though. That would only help.

Wierd... yes... but you did ask to keep you updated.

I think they are just coming down from the shock of losing the baby. Those things they are and are going to go through are pretty common. Now, it's a test of faith, marriage, and everything else.

See, I'd have said it was mental stress and grief as well, but they both began to hear the baby cries at he same time without either of them mentioning it to the other for a good 30 seconds. I think a lot of what they saw was in their minds, but the initial voices were something else. I know it's hard to fathom these things but seeing and dealing with the things I have over my years, it's nothing new. Either way, it's taken care of now.

And my church's youth pastor and I sat with them for hours last night until 1 in the morning and you could just see the impact that had. Heather has been talking about her feelings to everyone but the moment she began talking to Steven (the youth pastor) it just seemed to be really helping. When I first showed up she was pretty much a vegitable and my brother Justin was just aimless and scattered. By the time we left they were both laughing and Heather gave a sarcastic insult to my mother... just like before. So something changed last night, that's for sure.

And fortunately they both have a session arranged for a grieving councelor today. I'm now sure how it went yet but I'm hoping it's another good step. Now when comes time for the funeral we're all going to be a mess again, but it'll at least give some closure and we can start moving on.

Well, the funeral was today and it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I think the feeling of closure was really helping me out. I only cried once when my brother played a song on the guitar that he had been writing for the baby during the pregnancy followed by his wife reading a letter she had written from her baby's point of view in heaven.

Other than that it was nice to see her again (open casket) and I got to see some family members that I've not seen since my mother and step-father separated, so that was nice. Afterwards we went to a park and had a nice grillout, played cornhole, and played cards (Golf... though I was rooting for Pitch myself. I know, you don't know Pitch.. no one does. It's a Hamilton, Ohio game).

I was most excited though at the park to see my brother and his wife really coming out of their shell. They were playing and making jokes and such. You can tell that having it all finished was a relief for them. I'm glad for that and I'm just glad it's over. Now we can move on.

Also, Franklin started a thread over in the Community forums about his absence if you guys care to check it out. He's our new resident jail bird :)

Wow JH, I am sorry to hear about you and your family's loss. It's always a tragedy when someone in your family dies but for someone so young to die so suddenly without a chance just breaks my heart for you. It sounds like your family is very close and supportive so I know you will all pull through and hopefully your brother and wife will decide to try again.

I think they will. They say they can't go through this again and won't do it but it's so fresh I can understand their mindset. However, they're saving all their baby stuff and can't part with it. I know it reminds them of the baby but I just have a feeling that it's for a reason and that they know that someday they'll change their mind and try again.

She has a son already but this was his first baby and I really hope they try again so he can have one of his own flesh. He's a great dad to her son and deserves a boy or girl of his own.

So if you recall, a few months back I was talking about how I have fallen in love with the Spectre and plan on buying a bunch of his stuff. I had owned the Infinite Crisis Aftermath: Spectre mini and Final Crisis Revelations. Well, I was at half-priced books and bought the Tales of the Unexpected mini (minus issues 2 and 3), 3 of the last 4 issues of Gotham Central (minus 38) where Crispus Allen was killed, Issue 0 of Ostrander's run, and 1-3, 9, and 15 of Dematteis' run.

I was so excited to finally get to read more of his stuff and I have to say, I LOVED the Tales of the Unexpected and the Gotham Central issues. Great stuff. Haven't read the olders stuff but I'm still loving this Crispus Allen Spectre A LOT!

Now here's the annoying thing. I get home and look for the other two Spectre mini's that I loved and got me into the character.... TOTALLY MISSING! I've searched all over this house 3 times looking in every nook and cranny and it's missing. I've called the two friends of mine that I loan comics to and neither of them have borrowed them. They have totally just vanished. I keep telling myself that things don't just vanish but I have seriously looked EVERYWHERE and have spent about 2 hours looking, and for this small of a house, that's everywhere.

I am so mad!

I did find out that there was ANOTHER mini between the IC: Specture mini and FC: Revelations called Countdown to Mystery so I'm excited for that one. Maybe I'll buy it AFTER I buy the other two minis I lost already :rolleyes:

The Spectre took them. :p

I read Countdown to Mystery, but danged if I can remember what it was about. Is that the one with the Dr. 13 stories included?

Yay! My brother-in-law had the issues I was missing, though neither of us remember him having them... wierd.

And no, the Countdown to Mystery has Eclipso (and I think Plastic Man?). Tales of the Unexpected had the Dr. 13 issues. I've read and loved that one!

I also just went online and bought all the Countown to Mystery issues, along with the Blue Beetle issue that had Spectre in it, , the issues of Tales of the Unexpected that I'm missing, and the issue of Gotham Central that I'm missing. So now I'll have everything with Spectre since Crispus Allen became the host.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"