• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Will Iron Man be the "Batman" of Avengers 2011?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi,

As most would agree, Batman is a fan favorite, if not THE fan favorite in DC's Justice League, where Batman teams up with Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL, and so on...

So, assuming that's fact... is Iron Man being geared up to be the "Batman" (fan favorite) of the Avengers (2011) movie?

-Iron Man was very successful and did great business
-The Incredible Hulk was not as successful. When I saw the movie in a packed theater, during the last scene, with Tony Stark's cameo, the audience gasped and cheered upon his arrival
-Iron Man is getting a sequel prior to Avengers, whereas Thor, Hulk, and Cap America will get only one film, and any additional Avengers (Giant-Man, Hawkeye, Vison, Wasp, etc) will not get a solo movie and just be introduced in the Avengers movie.

Sooooo.... do you think Iron Man is going to be the most cheered for movie Avenger? I don't think Iron Man is the most popular Avenger in the comics... is he????? But apparentely in the movie Avengers, it seems like he's being suited up to be the fan favorite.

it really depends how thor and the cap movie play out.

it won't be the hulk unless he does a really cool cameo.

Iron Man may well be the favorite, but Captain America will probably be the main character of the film.

who knows, he will have a big advantage due to having 2 movies under his belt, plus he will have more personality than any of the other heroes....although hank pym could be a smart ass also... I just hope the avengers is written around the 4 majors (IM,cap, thor, nick fury) then ant man, wasp, hulk etc.

Since when was Nick Fury a major Avengers character?

Since Samuel Jackson more than likely wont get a solo nick fury movie so expect for his role to be a little larger than giving orders at SHIELD headquarters.....

He's not a major character by history, but based on star factor expect him to have a lot of camera time...

In a word. No.

Cap has a chance of having a much bigger BO draw than Iron Man. He's just a bigger name. Iron Man went in barely a top 10 name in comics. Cap is going in a top 5.

I do expect him to have a lot of screen time, but the Pyms are (and should be in the film) more important characters.

In a word. No.

Cap has a chance of having a much bigger BO draw than Iron Man. He's just a bigger name. Iron Man went in barely a top 10 name in comics. Cap is going in a top 5.
1)Superman
2)Batman
3)Spiderman
4)Wolverine
5)Cap?

Questionable.

I wonder if they will make Iron Man in his post-Civil War personality in the group film.. so far, he's already revealed his secret ID..

the secret ID was never that important a part of Tony's character. Maybe they'll get a bit Ultimate with it.

1)Superman
2)Batman
3)Spiderman
4)Wolverine
5)Cap?

Questionable.

Something like that.

Truth be told there's no reason Cap can't be bigger than Wolverine; People kind of look at him as a lock at the top spot, but it was really more a result of the move towards more grim dark things in the 80s and 90s. I think we're entering an era of people who want to see actual superheroes.

If the Avengers movie is bigger than the X-Movies, and the Avengers cartoon is more successful than the X-cartoons were in the past, there will be no reason not to consider Captain America a bigger name than Wolverine again.

But everybody knows X-Men. You walk into a bar and say "The Avengers" half the people will think you're talking about a Sean Connery movie.

That was because of the movies. Nobody outside of comicbook readers new what the hell the xmen were before the movies.

That was because of the movies. Nobody outside of comicbook readers new what the hell the xmen were before the movies.

Yes they did. They didn't know the specifics or the plot. But lots of people knew "X-Men" as an entity.

I think it'll boil down to the actor they choose and the performance he gives.

people will like him more than captain since captain has a serious based charisma may be like wolverine and cyclops were in x men

They should make Cap the rebel and Tony the golden boy.

people will like him more than captain since captain has a serious based charisma may be like wolverine and cyclops were in x men
People liked Wolverine more than Cyclops in the movies because Cyclops had a combined 20 minutes of screen time in the three movies.

Yes they did. They didn't know the specifics or the plot. But lots of people knew "X-Men" as an entity.

Because of the animated series.

When I was young (mid-late 80s) Marvel's promotion revolved around Captain America, Spider-Man and the Hulk. Wolverine wasn't even a top 3. The animated series and the movies made him a top name.

I've also always been of the opinion that Wolverine's solo presence is overrated. He's the most popular x-man, but I think his status falters a bit as a solo franchise. I'd be willing to bet Cap's solo film outgrosses Wolverine's solo film.

There's no reason that Captain America can't be a top name again.

Last edited:
Because of the animated series.

When I was young (mid-late 80s) Marvel's promotion revolved around Captain America, Spider-Man and the Hulk. Wolverine wasn't even a top 3. The animated series and the movies made him a top name.

I've also always been of the opinion that Wolverine's solo presence is overrated. He's the most popular x-man, but I think his status falters a bit as a solo franchise. I'd be willing to bet Cap's solo film outgrosses Wolverine's solo film.

There's no reason that Captain America can't be a top name again.

I was born in 84, so for my life, what I said was true.

As for Cap being popular again...I actually kind of doubt it. Audiences are so cynical these days and they only latch onto anti-heros and badboys. I don't see them going for the old-soldier/patriot type.

I was born in 84, so for my life, what I said was true.

As for Cap being popular again...I actually kind of doubt it. Audiences are so cynical these days and they only latch onto anti-heros and badboys. I don't see them going for the old-soldier/patriot type.

I was born in 84 too. Do you remember the secret war action figures or the early hasbro set? X-Men wasn't that big of a deal until about 91. Then they got huge in 1993 or so.

My point was, other franchises have been as big as X-Men are; Captain Marvel (Shazam!) was the biggest Superhero of the 40s. Wonderwoman in the 70s with her hit tv show, Hulk in the 80s with his hit tv show. I'm saying these things are cyclical, and other than the big 3 (Superman, Batman and Spider-Man) Anyone has the potential to be a top five name.

I think much like comics, we're seeing a fading away of grim dark in general interests, and a renewed interest in true heroes. Batman and Spider-Man can survive in any climate, but I think in a time of such great uncertainty, there's at least some people who want to see an actual good guy.

I was born in 84 too. Do you remember the secret war action figures or the early hasbro set? X-Men wasn't that big of a deal until about 91. Then they got huge in 1993 or so.
I was totally out of the loop on all things pop culture until high school. So no I don't remember them. I was in the "my parents buy the toys they think I should be playing with" category. I'm going on the fact that I knew X-Men during those early years through friends, people talking in school, etc. way better than I knew Avengers or Cap.

My point was, other franchises have been as big as X-Men are; Captain Marvel (Shazam!) was the biggest Superhero of the 40s. Wonderwoman in the 70s with her hit tv show, Hulk in the 80s with his hit tv show. I'm saying these things are cyclical, and other than the big 3 (Superman, Batman and Spider-Man) Anyone has the potential to be a top five name.
Cyclical? Possibly. But these trend you mentioned haven't come back around. Wonder Woman hasn't gotten her fame back...neither has Hulk despite two movies.

I think much like comics, we're seeing a fading away of grim dark in general interests, and a renewed interest in true heroes. Batman and Spider-Man can survive in any climate, but I think in a time of such great uncertainty, there's at least some people who want to see an actual good guy.

I don't get that impression, but that doesn't mean you're wrong.

I would think if Cap was like a Jack Bauer type he would succeed. Which is why people are into the Ultimate Cap. It seems to me the icons to appear recently (Tony Montana, Jack Bauer, Neo...) all come from some kind of Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"