• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Will Iron Man be the "Batman" of Avengers 2011?

Yes they did. They didn't know the specifics or the plot. But lots of people knew "X-Men" as an entity.

Does anyone else have friends that think because they watched the X-Men cartoon they are a bigger expert on X-Men than you are? I have friends like that. Never read the comics, but watched the cartoon, and they instantly believe they are major historians of the X-Men.

Does anyone else have friends that think because they watched the X-Men cartoon they are a bigger expert on X-Men than you are? I have friends like that. Never read the comics, but watched the cartoon, and they instantly believe they are major historians of the X-Men.
Yeah, those people suck, but they closer to this "general public" we're talking about than your average comic reader.

Traditionally, Avengers has been about Captain America until as recent as Bendis Avengers where he's rendered nearly impotent and Iron Man is raised from a supporting cast to a potent one-man Avenger. Yes, Cap is still the moral fiber of the team but he couldn't save himself from 100 Ninjas and nuclear explosion.

But the movie will clearly be a bit focused on Cap, more so if the solo film is a success. Iron Man deserves a larger share if IM 2 is a success. Yes IM functions like Batman in the Avengers as the techie and rich guy financing it all. But no Tony Stark is not phony like Bruce Wayne who loves wearing cape and doesn't enjoy being himself.

I'm predicting Avengers as a more balanced showing of the big-3 or even a chance for the others to shine, instead of just Batman-Superman show in JLA.

I was totally out of the loop on all things pop culture until high school. So no I don't remember them. I was in the "my parents buy the toys they think I should be playing with" category. I'm going on the fact that I knew X-Men during those early years through friends, people talking in school, etc. way better than I knew Avengers or Cap.

Cyclical? Possibly. But these trend you mentioned haven't come back around. Wonder Woman hasn't gotten her fame back...neither has Hulk despite two movies.

I don't get that impression, but that doesn't mean you're wrong.

I would think if Cap was like a Jack Bauer type he would succeed. Which is why people are into the Ultimate Cap. It seems to me the icons to appear recently (Tony Montana, Jack Bauer, Neo...) all come from some kind of Edge.

People aren't into Ultimate Cap; I don't know a single person who is.

FYI Ironman was always 2nd fiddle to Captain America in the comics and I hope it stays that way in the movies. I mean I like RDJ but not near as much as Captain America. I'm hoping for a series of 3-4 Captain America movies. It's fine if Ironman has 2 or 3 but I think with the right Captain America who has presence, power, and charisma can take the top spot at the box office.

But the movie will clearly be a bit focused on Cap, more so if the solo film is a success.
I don't think the movie's success will have anything to do with it. Based on the title they have given Cap and the release schedule, it seems like they are going to go the "Cap is frozen at the end of his film and thawed towards the beginning of Avengers" route. I have a feeling Cap is going to be the central focus of Avengers.

Iron Man will be the Batman... Cap will be the Superman. It's kind of obvious to me.

Ironman will always be second fiddle to Captain America. Anyone care to disagree?
If so it's cool. Just curious. I love Ironman but don't see him as the "top dawg".

Ironman will always be second fiddle to Captain America. Anyone care to disagree?
If so it's cool. Just curious. I love Ironman but don't see him as the "top dawg".

I don't see favoritism in DC as Superman & Batman can go hand-in-hand.

So do Marvel has to learn sharing the pie for its more numerous characters.

but iron man's personality is gonna attract more fans than captain america same reason why people liked wolverine more than cyclops in x men films

Yes they did. They didn't know the specifics or the plot. But lots of people knew "X-Men" as an entity.
Wasn't that because of the great Fox cartoon?

Avengers did have a cartoon but it was awful. I don't think Cap was in it, either.

The new Avengers cartoon has changed the concept entirely with all new characters and has no "real" Avengers in it.

Cyclical? Possibly. But these trend you mentioned haven't come back around. Wonder Woman hasn't gotten her fame back

WW hasn't been in anything worthwhile enough to get her fame back.

She's practically been forgotten by WB as a solo property since Linda Carter's show ended.

...neither has Hulk despite two movies.

Both Hulk movies profited in their theater runs.

I would think if Cap was like a Jack Bauer type he would succeed. Which is why people are into the Ultimate Cap. It seems to me the icons to appear recently (Tony Montana, Jack Bauer, Neo...) all come from some kind of Edge.

Agreed.

Last edited:
but iron man's personality is gonna attract more fans than captain america same reason why people liked wolverine more than cyclops in x men films

Cyclops had potential in the movies but he really didn't reach it in them. Everyone was in Wolverine's shadow. Even Rogue and Jean got more to do then he did.

Last edited:
If I read the first post correctly, than a lot of people are misunderstanding it. This topic isn't about whether Iron Man will play the most important part in the movie or be the main character, as one can assume that the main character will probably be Cap--instead, this topic is asking whether Iron Man will be the fan-favorite character, the one the fans/general audience/etc. is rooting for.

Now Iron Man's my favorite anyway, so I'm a little biased, heh. However, based on the popularity of the movie, Downey Jr.'s performance and the strong reactions to the cameo in The Incredible Hulk, I think it's a good bet that he could very easily be the fan-favorite, much like Batman, when the Avengers movie rolls around.

If that comparison isn't good enough, look at it this way; the general public always goes for the more cocky, rebellious character. In another comics example, see the preference people have for Wolverine over Cyclops. Not enough? Go back to the original Star Wars and see how many people preferred Han Solo to Luke.

Last edited:
Iron Man is nowhere near Batman's popularity level, & he's not on par with him in any way, IMO.

Iron Man is nowhere near Batman's popularity level, & he's not on par with him in any way, IMO.

No one in the Avengers is near Batman popularity level. Heck even it's arguable that Spidey is below Batman in popularity level, except to kids.

But the upside of that is Marvel is giving all their characters an even chance. No can do that in DC World. It's all about Batman, Batman, Batman. Superman 2nd. Green Lantern a distant 3rd.

I will ALWAYS put Spider-Man above Batman, no matter what movie comes out.
spider-man-1.png
>
Batman.jpg
!
But I agree with the reast of your post.

They profited but they didn't exactly bring about a Hulk popularity renaissance.

They got Hulk back in the spotlight again.

It may not be Spider-man level but it laid the groundwork for future projects and got the public's interest once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"