12 Great Giant Movie Monsters per EW

The Lizard

Didn't eat Billy
Reaction score
First off, I have to say that it warms the cockles of my cold-blooded reptilian heart to see the classic 1954 Godzilla on the front page of Yahoo:

yahoogodzillamonstersev8.jpg

Here's the Entertainment Weekly photo feature:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20171850,00.html?iid=top25-20080117-Awesomely+giant+movie+monsters

In a nutshell,

1. King Kong

2. Godzilla

3. The Blob

4. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

5. Kraken (Clash of the Titans)

6. Quetzalcoutal (Q)

7. Sandworms (Dune)

8. Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man (Ghostbusters)

9. Tyrannosaurus Rex (Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World)

10. Balrog (Lord of the Rings)

11. Dragons (Reign of Fire)

12. Mutant River Creature (The Host)

-A pretty respectable list, although I question the inclusion of the 50-foot woman and Q (both from low-budget cult movies), while leaving out all the giant insects (Them, Tarantula, etc).

Godzilla is much, much better than King Kong. King Kong was less of a "monster" and more of a midunderstood giant who was confused and frightened. Godzilla, in his original, purest form anyway, was a giant, pissed off, unstopabble killing machine who just wanted to blow s**t up. Also, I dont care what that crappy movie says, Godzilla would destroy King Kong, if only for the fact that he's something like 8 or 10 times as big as Kong.

Kong would crawl into Godzilla's cloaca and reek havoc from within. That's how you beat Godzilla.

Stupid Japanese military people. :o

Kong would crawl into Godzilla's cloaca and reek havoc from within. That's how you beat Godzilla.

Stupid Japanese military people. :O

he would die of radiaton :cmad:

Then his rotting corpse would poison Godzilla. At worst, it's a draw.

P.S. That post you quoted contains an innaccurate smiley. The pink embarrassed smiley doesn't nearly convey the type of outrage I was directing at the fictional Japanese armed forces.

Yes, I care.

Godzilla should be #1, Stay Puft should be higher, and where the hell is Gamera?

10. Balrog (Lord of the Rings)

Should the Balrog count really? I feel like he was such a small facet of the film overall, and he's not a monster in the sense that the others are.

Should the Balrog count really? I feel like he was such a small facet of the film overall, and he's not a monster in the sense that the others are.
I agree I guess. He was only a small part of the LoTr movies,and though he was cool lookin dont think he was in that group..

I'm kindof disappointed that Mothra was'nt on that list or Rodan as they were mainstays in Japenese/Godzilla movies,and arguably as well known as Godzilla...

I'll have to adjust that top spots:
1.Godzilla(my all-time favorite monster)
2.King Kong

Other than that list isn't too bad.

Sandworms should be the top. They OWN a planet.

That is a good list and i do feel that Godzilla should be number one . Im glad to see the dragons from reign of fire and stay puft . It will be interesting to see if the creature from cloverfield is worthy . I didnt think i'd see a mention for the host because it was recent and tto early to be considered classic.

What about Frankenstein?

^^not a giant

I'm really surprised the Reign of Fire dragons are on this. Mostly cause that movie sucked, and wasn't at all memorable.:huh:

^^not a giant

I'm really surprised the Reign of Fire dragons are on this. Mostly cause that movie sucked, and wasn't at all memorable.:huh:

Reign Of Fire was awesome, you're clearly insane :o

It made the dragon real. That's why it is on the list.

The movie may have sucked but the dragons were awesome.

it was summer fluff. Don't let the Bale Factor cloud your judgment.:o

it was summer fluff. Don't let the Bale Factor cloud your judgment.:o

just being fluff doesnt make it bad. Transformers was summer fluff, but if I said it sucked I would be lynched.

where the hell is Gamera?

I think all the other daikaiju got lumped in with Godzilla, since there's just so many of them.

Also, props to the EW writer for mentioning Dragonslayer (1981) in the same entry as the Reign of Fire dragons.

But seriously, the giant ants from Them should really be on this list.

just being fluff doesnt make it bad. Transformers was summer fluff, but if I said it sucked I would be lynched.

not by me.:heart:

I'm not saying it deserves to be any worst film's list or anything but it was pretty damn meh.:sleepy:

Decent list, though I can think of a few who could have made the list as well.

Not really surprised the big ape is ranked #1. Thats expected. Though the Big G would surely beat him down in an unbiased fight. No matter how that comedy that is King Kong vs Godzilla ended the fight. :o

Decent list, though I can think of a few who could have made the list as well.

Not really surprised the big ape is ranked #1. Thats expected. Though the Big G would surely beat him down in an unbiased fight. No matter how that comedy that is King Kong vs Godzilla ended the fight. :o

I found it funny that all of a sudden, either Godzilla was alot smaller, or King Kong was alot bigger, than he had been in previous films for that movie. Zilla was only about half the size of Godzilla, and here's a nice comparison of Zilla next to Kong...

godzilla-vs-kong-2.jpg

Nice comparison. :D

Yeah, Kong was made alot larger than in any other incarnation so that he would provide to be a match for Godzilla in King Kong vs Godzilla. But what I find even funnier though (besides Kong climbing up a much, much shorter building in that movie), is the idea of giving Kong 'electrical' powers to combat Godzilla. Something in which Godzilla more or less became immune to in the next Godzilla movie, Godzilla vs Mothra.

With Zilla, I love how in later Godzilla films. It's stated the americans mistook Zilla for Godzilla. Which is basically the truth anyways.

Nice comparison. :D

Yeah, Kong was made alot larger than in any other incarnation so that he would provide to be a match for Godzilla in King Kong vs Godzilla. But what I find even funnier though (besides Kong climbing up a much, much shorter building in that movie), is the idea of giving Kong 'electrical' powers to combat Godzilla. Something in which Godzilla more or less became immune to in the next Godzilla movie, Godzilla vs Mothra.

With Zilla, I love how in later Godzilla films. It's stated the americans mistook Zilla for Godzilla. Which is basically the truth anyways.

I loved Godzilla just pwning Zilla mercilessly in the last Godzilla movie...that scene alone was worth watching the movie for :D

How about the monster in an upcoming movie, cloverfield? here's the photo of that monster.

rancor.jpg

King Kong is by far the best Movie Monster and the 1933 Movie is and will ever be the No.1 when it comes to Giant Monster Movies...... I never really liked Peter Jacksons Version of Kong because he looks just like a giant Gorilla in the new Movie but Kong should be a giant and unique looking Ape like Monster Creature and not just a big Gorilla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"