2017 Predictions (Place Your Bets)

Alright, I'll try to play this game. Those I care about:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
RT: 85-90% fresh, 7.7/10
BO: over a billion WW
I think it will be more or less equal in quality to the first one.

2) Wonder Woman
RT: 70-80% fresh, 6.8/10
BO: ~500 WW
The best critical reception of all DCEU films up to that point. It will be similar to average MCU entries at best. Gadot will get a lot of crap for her acting.

3) Spider-Man: Homecoming
RT: 80-85% fresh, 7.5/10
BO: over a billion WW
Being a yet another reboot and an origin film of Spider-Man will possibly hurt interest, but presence of TS should support it. Not to mention, it's the first MCU Spider-Man movie. I believe it has a chance to get into the billion club.

4) Thor: Ragnarok
RT: 85-90% fresh, 7.3/10
BO: ~800 WW
It will be the best Thor entry with solid BO performance.

5) Justice League
RT: 75-80% fresh, 7.0/10 (call me crazy)
BO: ~1 bil.
Massive spectacle, more appealing tone and content wise, will bring people in. Issues will be similar to previous DCEU entries - poor character development, questionable acting and Snyder's sensibilities. Only this time without incoherent/convenient plotting.

I continue to believe strongly GA will go like this

1:Spider-man:Homecoming-despite how i feel on this it will be biggest Comic
book film of 2017.Downey helps it get to 400 million domesticly

2:Justice league-bringing DC heroes together will get it into the 300 million
range domesticly but DCEU track record and snyder as director keeps it from going bigger

3:GOTG Vol 2

4:Thor 3-with both hulk and dr strange turing this into mini avengers it should do close to 300 million domesticly

5:Wonder woman-I think this will fail to hit 300 million domesticly

6:Logan-it will probally be lowest grossing comic book film domesticly.still it
should go into 200-220 million range.

as for critics it will likely go this way

1:Logan
2:Gotg Vol 2
3:Spider-man homecoming
4:Thor 3
5:Wonder woman
6:Justice league

OK, I'll play along.

- GotG2 -
The first was a surprise hit, this one has a ton of hype leading in, if it delivers about the same quality it has potential to cross the $1bn line. Probably the highest grossing CBM of the year.

- WW -
Like most others I'm not sold on Gadot, but the film looks lovely. Looking at the numbers for BvS & SS, a decent movie overall should see this well over $600m, probably closer or even past $700m. Hopefully Snyders influence was cut out entirely after the BvS debacle and Jenkins has as much control as possible to make her film.

- SM:H -
3rd cinematic iteration of Spidey on cinema screens in 15 years. Past 3 films in a row have done heavy damage and that has shown in the BO numbers. However the character has already started rehab with the very widely liked appearance in Civil War, and with Marvel handling the creative side it should at least be a solid fun flick. Add in the apearance of Iron Man (and Keaton!) and I think this will make solid gains on TASM1&2's numbers, could land anywhere from $850m to $1bn.
Also, Watts' Cop Car is a really good little film, I'd recommend people check it out if they haven't seen it.

- T:R -
This is probably the biggest wild card of this years bunch. And it's the only one we haven't seen any footage from yet. Waititi is one of the most interesting and talented directors Marvel have hired, so him smashing together with Thor on a cosmic journey sounds really intriguing. A lot has been made about how funny Waititi is but he's not just a comedy guy, watch Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople, he's adept at crafting human stories with a ton of heart.
Dark World managed $650m WW being a mediocre film, if Ragnarok delivers what I think it can quality wise, + Hulk, Blanchett, Goldblum, Surtur, Dr Strange cameo (almost no earth scenes) then I think $800-850m is possible.

Also ran...
- JL -
If this isn't significantly better than BvS it is likely to drop at the BO. If you look at the drops & legs (with NO competition!) BvS had it would indicate this won't be a Transformers type deal where it can make $1bn while being critically panned. The audience feels badly burned after BvS, will need big reasons to come back, but there's nothing about Snyder's track record (with his heavily cynical and juvenile sensibilities) that suggests he is capable of delivering that. $750-800m.

GOTG also has the benefit of 3 weeks from Fate of the Furious and 3 weeks from Pirates, I'd say that if it's even 3/4 as good as the Original, it'll hit a $1B.

GOTG vol 2 - will be the biggest film of the year. Everything we've seen an heard leads us to believe this is going to be huge.

Wonder Woman - This will probably be a modest hit, and it looks better than Justice Leage, but it will suffer from the fact that it's basically a remake of both Thor and Captain America The First Avenger, and will likely be critically panned for it's lack of originality.

Spider-man Homecoming - I've got no read on this. We are all hoping this will be the Spider-man film we all wanted. Keaton looks fabulous and I'm really excited to see him playing the villain, and it will be interesting to see the dynamic that RDJ plays in the film other than what we've seen in the trailers. This will be make or break for seeing Spider-man as a solo character in future films. We're going to see him in Infinity Wars, but can he continue on his own as a solo character after the third reboot?

Thor Ragnarok - I'm hoping this is the Thor sequel we wanted with Thor The Dark World. Hela was always a more compelling character than Malekith, and seeing the Planet Hulk stuff play out will be super cool. My one concern is calling this a "road movie" in the genre of 48 hrs, buddy comedy could set some people off. I'm hoping for the best.

Justice League - Everything I've seen so far looks terrible. I think there's promise for WW, but JL just looks bad. Ben Affleck looks totally disinterested in the Bruce Wayne role, and the dialogue from the teaser is cringeworthy. Hoping for a better second trailer. Honestly I don't think Warner really understands why the Avengers was successful. Zach Snyder certainly doesn't.

Kind of really interested to see where 2017 goes with all of this. I want to know what studio will end up with the best flick this year.

Marvel/Disney?
Marvel/Sony?
Fox?
WB?

Personally, I have to say it's between GOTG2 and Spider-Man HC to usurp Logan.

Have no faith in WW and JL being praised across the board.

Thor, I'd say would be the dark horse.

Marvel will probably take that year as well. Since 2008 MCU has lost in box office and critical reception only 2 years.

GotG Vol 2: Not as good as the first but it will be really good and different. More personal even with all the characters. 85+% on RT

WW: Nothing really excites me and Gadot seems worse with each trailer. We are talking about the ultimate superheroine and they picked someone who isn't even an actress. other than that i believe the film will have slightly better reception than the rest of the DCEU but not enough to give it some momentum: 55-65% on RT

Spider-man homecoming: watts is really talented and Holland is the best spider-man to date. Tht said i don;t think the film will do anything really different than the other installemnts. It will still be good because it's Marvel. 80-85% on RT

Ragnrok. The best or second best cbm of 2017. All the ingredients are there. great chracters and a very talented director. Waititi makes films full of joy and heart and if the movie delivers kickass action on top o that it will a blast. Gunn has given it his seal of apprval and i know he is not a bs-iter and his taste in Marvel films is spot-on. 87-92 on RT.

JL: Snyder. Nough said...

Believe it or not, this the one time I want to be an MCU fanboy and really believe in this one. I could kind of tell from the marketing that AOU would be lackluster (I didn't realize I'd go on to actually hate it like I did), while GOTG2 trailers have been funny. Also, Gunn's style is so winning he can get away with being lax on plot unlike a lot of his contemporaries.... but you might still be right about it not being as good as the first.

If Gadot is wooden and it is just serviceable... we'll see. I think X-Men: Apocalypse was serviceable. Then again, we have had 6-9 of those suckers depending how you count. WW is a first, so that sounds about right, but I would lower the box office to $750 million due to fierce competition.

Pretty much, albeit I'd also lower the box office to maybe $800 million. They need to "rebuild" brand loyalty.

Put the box office at $700 million but raise the critical reception to 90%. I'm not sure I'd love it... but I suspect critics will enjoy it.

Not sure about $900 million. It will need good word of mouth for that to happen. But yeah, overall I think you have very good predictions.

Thanks, I went a bit conservative and looking at it today I think I might want to change a few numbers (I have a feeling you're right about Wonder Woman and Homecoming) but I'm in the ballpark of where I think it will land. I really don't know if any of these movies will hit a billion, although I think Guardians has the best shot.

Just curious, but what is the relevance of hitting or not hitting a billion?

It's a notable accomplishment for a blockbuster action film?

......it's a lot of money?
Is this a trick question?

Is it just me, but I almost feel like there's more pressure on Spider-man than there is on WW? I just think everything that went down with Sony, there's more pressure for it to be a hit.

GOTG2 - $1 Billion (78% RT)
Spider-Man - $950 Million (81% RT)
Thor 3 - $800 Million (68% RT)
Wonder Woman - $600 Million (56% RT)
Justice League - $800 Million (31% RT)

Just guesses. Highest hopes for Thor, mostly because it's potentially the most bizarre one on the list.

Depends on the movie and marketing budgets.
Studios are getting exorbitantly high with costs to where a billion is becoming less of a feat and more of an expectation.

There is no way Ragnarok is hitting a 68%. Only 2/14 MCU movies have below 70% on RT and Taika's last 3 films are acclaimed. 80% is the absolute floor for Ragnarok.

There is no way Ragnarok is hitting a 68%. Only 2/14 MCU movies have below 70% on RT and Taika's last 3 films are acclaimed. 80% is the absolute floor for Ragnarok.

Agreed and I think he's easily the best of the directors of the 2017 SH films.

Agreed. Taika Waititi is a highly respected director, his most recent film (Hunt for the Wilderpeople) holds a score of 97% on RT and was a major critical success. RT awarded it with the highest rated limited release film of 2016. I don't think Ragnarok will get 97% due to it being a more potentially divisive film in the first place (imagine how awesome it would be if it did though), but I fully predict it will be in the 85 plus range, and I also think it will be the highest rated MCU entry of 2017.

I'm so glad Marvel got a real director again. I realize Alan Taylor was not their first choice, but he was a terrible director. I said so at the time and I remember a bunch of people defended him at the time, saying the problem with the film wasn't direction, but then he did Terminator Genisys, which is a film that actually made me feel like Terminator Salvation was a good movie by comparison (not really but you get the gist). He hasn't done a film since, and no one really defends him anymore.

Waititi is really a talented director and it's nice to see Marvel bring someone of his caliber on board to this movie.

THOR RAGNAROK

Okay, this is an even darker horse, mostly because Taika Waititi isn't known for big budget action films. Sure he's got a great sense of humour, and MCU Thor has been quite a fun character, but will he go too far ?

I quite liked Thor TDW, but have a lot of misgivings about this one.

Still, I didn't think Scott Derrickson could pull off Dr Strange, but it was amazing.

Hope I'm wrong but my prediction is............

RT: 75% fun but kind of misses the point of superhero films

Box office: hmmm..... I think Dr Strange would have made a lot more money if it had been released earlier in the year, with a bit less competition, so I think the late release date will slow things down at the box office - maybe $ 500-600 million ( it is Thor after all).

We'll see I guess. Cheers.

Okay, I'm going to amend my prediction for one reason....... Hiddlebatch !

That's right, the cosmic combination of Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston, I think that alone will elevate Thor into the 80-85% range for RT
and add at least an extra 50 - 100 million in overseas (non-usa) market income.

That doesn't make any sense. Hiddleston and Cumberbatch which will have 1-2 scenes maximum will elevate the movie 10% on RT?

The movie doesn't need a Tumblr fan-fiction to socre high on RT. It has the studio and director credentials to do that.

Too late for Logan, but here's how I am ranking the rest of the DC/Marvel films in terms of WW BO. :

1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $950M

2) Justice League - $850M

3) Thor: Ragnarok- $800M

4) Spider-Man: Homecoming - $750M

5) Wonder Woman - $600M

Depends on the movie and marketing budgets.
Studios are getting exorbitantly high with costs to where a billion is becoming less of a feat and more of an expectation.

Basically this. Making a $250M with $175M to $200M in marketing and only getting $850M WW, you aren't really making much of a profit.

If HC makes 750 say bye-bye to Spidey in the MCU. That's no what Sony signed up for. They want close to a billion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"