2020 Vartha Award

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
JCtj9CH.png

One of my favorite things Aziz did last year was create this award in honor of our fallen comrade, Vartha. Vartha's enthusiasm for things was infectious, and I miss him dearly. Like last year, we're going to be a co-ed category (male and female) with 1 winner unless voting ends in a draw. This is an award to commemorate those who exemplify the fine qualities of Vartha: Kindness, Enthusiasm, Cheerfulness, and who's posts have the effect of making one's day brighter.

With that said, who should we nominate? Last day for nominations is February 6th (in Eastern Standard time)!!!

Current Nominations

@Iceman

Always of good cheer.

@Batmannerism

Seems like the dude you chance meet at the bar that's into what you are and can have an awesome convo with.

@Lily Adler

Clear eyes. Full heart. Can't lose.

@Perfect Cell.

Keeps me honest.

Thank you Sir. In the words of the great Nic Cage

" That's high praise !"

Allow me to nominate you in return for your insight and wit.

@KRYPTON INC.

Can I please also nominate:

@Spider-Aziz
@Iceman
@Docker2.0
@Milk Tray Guy
@jolldan
@KaijuDude1992

More nominations to come.

Last edited:
Thank you, my fellow Black Sails shipmate!

Dude, after watching the finale I got sucked in and started binge watching from the first episode. Right now I'm on disc 3 of season 3 - getting ready for the Flint vs Blackbeard duel.

Just realised that a lot of Rackham's problems were of his own doing, and his obsession with his reputation. Also, there's a tonal shift between season 2 and 3, particularly in Silver's character- he's a lot more serious after he loses his leg, whereas before he had a lot of humorous moments.

Dude, after watching the finale I got sucked in and started binge watching from the first episode. Right now I'm on disc 3 of season 3 - getting ready for the Flint vs Blackbeard duel.

Just realised that a lot of Rackham's problems were of his own doing, and his obsession with his reputation. Also, there's a tonal shift between season 2 and 3, particularly in Silver's character- he's a lot more serious after he loses his leg, whereas before he had a lot of humorous moments.

Yeah, I recently rewatched it and I totally agree. I think the shift with Silver makes a lot of sense though. Before he loses the leg, he’s just a guy looking for a way to get ahead and enjoying the ride. But then, after becoming an amputee at a time when the world was MUCH more ableist, it’s like he has this need to prove himself and finds new ways to do so. It’s a fascinating character arc. I really hope Luke Arnold gets more work in the future. I know Toby Stephens gets the majority of attention for Black Sails (and deservedly so) but Arnold was equally excellent.

Yeah, I recently rewatched it and I totally agree. I think the shift with Silver makes a lot of sense though. Before he loses the leg, he’s just a guy looking for a way to get ahead and enjoying the ride. But then, after becoming an amputee at a time when the world was MUCH more ableist, it’s like he has this need to prove himself and finds new ways to do so. It’s a fascinating character arc. I really hope Luke Arnold gets more work in the future. I know Toby Stephens gets the majority of attention for Black Sails (and deservedly so) but Arnold was equally excellent.

Into the final season now. While Toby Stephens does get most of the acclaim, there were so many actors had strong performances- Jessica Kennedy Parker and Tom Hopper in particular are doing almost kiddie theater in comparison now - although strangely on shows that are much more well known ( Flash and Umbrella Academy).

Toby Schmitz, who played Rackham, was another standout as he made the character so entertaining. Honestly, it's hard to pick a bad performance among the cast - even Toby Stephens' brother, who played the slightly unhinged redcoat Captain Berringer in season 4, was enjoyable ( although a bit one note).

All the villains have moments when you can understand and even get behind them - all the so-called heroes have moments where they are completely reprehensible. I loved that, the constant shift- particularly with Flint, between the hero and villain.

And the show is smart enough not to tell us what we're supposed to think, it let's us decide for ourselves.

Hello everyone, I’m absolutely ecstatic you all have decided to make an award of my fathers name. It brings me absolute joy that his name will live on through this award and hope everyone that receives said award is worthy. Long live Vartha in his name and kin!
JCtj9CH.png

One of my favorite things Aziz did last year was create this award in honor of our fallen comrade, Vartha. Vartha's enthusiasm for things was infectious, and I miss him dearly. Like last year, we're going to be a co-ed category (male and female) with 1 winner unless voting ends in a draw. This is an award to commemorate those who exemplify the fine qualities of Vartha: Kindness, Enthusiasm, Cheerfulness, and who's posts have the effect of making one's day brighter.

With that said, who should we nominate? Last day for nominations is February 6th (in Eastern Standard time)!!!

Current Nominations

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"