A Clockwork Orange

It is a very weird movie, but it's awesome.

this movie is pretty pointless and especially pretentious.

it's a 2/5.

I dig this film because you really can't explain what's so good about it. It's one of those rare films where you just have to see it.

Someone trying to describe what it is doesn't do it justice. It just is what it is.

I'm not going to lie, I don't fully understand the point of this film, it was pretty crazy stuff. What I do know is that Malcolm McDowell is a wild lunatic in this film. I know for sure I wouldn't like it half as much if it weren't for him.

His performance is amazing. Like amazing times ten. You really loathe the guy when he's doing his bit of the ol' ultra violence (i love that). Yet when Alex starts his 'treatment' you feel pity for the kid.

Bizarre, crazy good film. The ending is like wtf mixed with LSD. Yay?

I dig this film because you really can't explain what's so good about it. It's one of those rare films where you just have to see it.

Someone trying to describe what it is doesn't do it justice. It just is what it is.

I'm not going to lie, I don't fully understand the point of this film, it was pretty crazy stuff. What I do know is that Malcolm McDowell is a wild lunatic in this film. I know for sure I wouldn't like it half as much if it weren't for him.

His performance is amazing. Like amazing times ten. You really loathe the guy when he's doing his bit of the ol' ultra violence (i love that). Yet when Alex starts his 'treatment' you feel pity for the kid.

Bizarre, crazy good film. The ending is like wtf mixed with LSD. Yay?

yay.
whenever i see MM in that flick... Alex just reminds me of the Joker.

Yeah most definitely.

It's cool Ledger actually acknowledged it as an inspiration for him. Scary stuff.:up:

I cant believe how many people dont understand the point of it...the entire point is about human nature, and is simply asking the question "if we could change all the dregs of society so they could never physically hurt anyone again, should we do such a thing?" The title itself, a Clockwork Orange, reffers to this, as a clockwork orange would be an orange that looks exactly like an orange from the outside (representing a functional member of society) but the inside is all clockwork, making it look and feel that way (representing the brainwashing of Alex).

Here's an interesting bit I read from Wikipedia...

In the film and the United States edition of the book, Alex becomes his old ultraviolent self again, thinking sarcastically: "I was cured all right", seconds before his brain buckles due to the neural surgery he recalls as recurrent dreams. The final chapter of the British edition of A Clockwork Orange shows Alex, at the age of 18, in his government job at the National Record Library, growing out of his sociopathy and daydreaming about starting a family.

It's like the movie says attempting to reprogram criminals and taking away their free will is pointless, as their original self is just beneath the surface.
But if that last sentence is accurate, then the point is... yeah. We should totally mind-F criminals until they give up their violent ways.

the entire film is pointless because by the end of the film, alex reverts back to his maniacal self on his own, despite the treatment.

talk about pointless; the brainwashing is a waste of time because ultimately he's still a nut.

in addition, his performance is fine, but he doesn't do much other than have two modes of expression: diabolical or comatose.

if i wanted to see a manic performance in a film that actually had a point, i'd watch american psycho again.

the entire film is pointless because by the end of the film, alex reverts back to his maniacal self on his own, despite the treatment.

talk about pointless; the brainwashing is a waste of time because ultimately he's still a nut.

Pointlessness is the point. Beautiful, dark irony. I love it.

I think the point is that even if we could change human behavior should we?

and it's boils down to human decision whether or not to be good or evil. Alex is evil and he didn't want to change, he just wanted to get out of prison.

Kubrick also had no idea of the final chapter of the novel that was removed from the American version. It showed an older Alex finally realizing within himself that he had a choice to be good or evil and he chose to finally grow up and become a man. Upon finally hearing this Kubrick said he liked Alex turning out evil instead and i would have to agree with him there.

Brilliant Film. Read my earlier post. :up:

In the film and the United States edition of the book, Alex becomes his old ultraviolent self again, thinking sarcastically: "I was cured all right", seconds before his brain buckles due to the neural surgery he recalls as recurrent dreams. The final chapter of the British edition of A Clockwork Orange shows Alex, at the age of 18, in his government job at the National Record Library, growing out of his sociopathy and daydreaming about starting a family.

It's like the movie says attempting to reprogram criminals and taking away their free will is pointless, as their original self is just beneath the surface.
But if that last sentence is accurate, then the point is... yeah. We should totally mind-F criminals until they give up their violent ways.

Yeah, that has always confused me. But if I remember correctly, Alex gives up his violent ways as a result of maturity, not because of the torture.

easily one of my top 10 favorite films of all time maybe top 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"