A New Super Mario Movie?

TheVelvetOnion

Sidekick
Reaction score
Alot of people didnt like the 90's version of Super Mario Bros Movie... personally i think it had its moments.

But i was wondering if such a movie could exist? back then special effects was bad, but with todays technology i think it could be really good.

What i actually liked about the movie was the fact that you had two normal plumbers from our earth, end up in the alternate dimension "Mushroom land" where the place is under the dictatorship of Bowser. But where it went wrong is how they invisioned it. To me i can see the movie studio at the time thinking, people loved total recall and blade runner... lets make a movie set in that kind of futuristic world... then someone came in saying hey i want to make a mario movie... then you had one of the excutives sat there looking like peter griffin imagining a futuristic world that resembles total recall and in the other mario... a long drawn out thought process then all of a sudden he puts his hands together and makes an "Ooooh" sound.

----

The problem with Super Mario was that it doesnt really have to much background and story other than two plumbers mario and luigo yet both mario brothers which could only suggest that there last name is mario. ends up plumbing one day finds themselves in a mushroom world filled with dinosaures...

----

It needs re-imagining... not for the game, i think that simpleness is what keeps its coolness for game playing. But for a movie you need more story.

----

So ive thought about it and it occured to me...

If you were to make a movie like this, then you dont really need a complex story...

look at doctor parnasses movie. normal world but walk through a mirror and you have this weird world.... to me thats how Mario should be... you follow normal life then thrown into Mushroom kindom.

so would anyone be interested in a mario movie?

Nah, if they did it these days mario'd be addicted to the mushrooms, luigi'd be having an affair with peach, daisy'd be a prostitute with a heart of gold and I'm certain they'd find some way to work in some really forced 'war on terror' allegory.
Stupid post TDK 'gritty reboot' fad...

(why is this thread here?)

anyway, Mario never had a strong narrative anyway so if all else, it'll be hard to make it into a movie. A cartoon show would be okay though.

If all else, go with Metroid or Zelda if you want story.

I think animated is definitely the way to go. 3D, of course. Just imagine Pixar or the people behind the Ice Age movies doing it.

I've always had a soft spot for the Mario movie. It's like Blade Runner with mushrooms :awesome:

I had the idea that Mario's motivation could be that Pauline died in Brooklyn. Sometime later he ends up in a Mushroom Kingdom beset by armies of Koopas and notices a portrait in an old house of Peach. She looks a lot like Pauline, and Mario decides that he's got a second chance at saving Pauline's life, even though Peach isn't Pauline.

Luigi started off as the more innocent of the brothers that changed as he and Yoshi fought to free Dinosaur Island from the Koopas. Somewhere around the end of the second act or early in the third act, the Brothers and Yoshi would meet up for a final fight that would take them to Koopa's castle to free the Princess.

I have something of a fondness for the movie that got made, but I never really understood why they had to change so much.

I mean, here's the premise: 2 Italian plumbers get sucked into a fairy tale dimension where they save the princess from an evil dragon. There's your movie right there! What's not to get?

If they did it today, it could be made like a sort of parody of all these epic fantasy movies with these 2 modern guys poking fun at all the weird stuff going on around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"