Aaron Sorkin's Lucille Ball Biopic (Kidman)

7dc640dc1cafaf9a7644a286b9671902.jpg

It's so weird to see the show in color.

Just got back from a screening. J.K. Simmons, Nina Arianda and Tony Hale were fantastic. Javier was very good. Nicole gave great performance, but, physically, I just couldn't buy her as Lucille. 8.5/10.

The reviews are making me more excited, but still...I'm being cautious.

Probably explains how it ended up on Amazon Prime. :o

as you may or may not know I live in Jamestown NY where Lucy grew up as a kid her childhood home is a tourist attraction. For YEARS we had an annual Lucy Fest with events inspired by the show (like you could do the wine stepping thing, try to grab chocolates off a conveyor belt etc). we would have her kids show up from time to time and there is a Lucy/Desi museum called Desilu Studios and inside it they have recreations of the sitcom's sets and props. and across the street we have an old theater called the Reg Lenna and they do both live events and movies inside they are showing the movie there in the near future.

as you may or may not know I live in Jamestown NY where Lucy grew up as a kid her childhood home is a tourist attraction. For YEARS we had an annual Lucy Fest with events inspired by the show (like you could do the wine stepping thing, try to grab chocolates off a conveyor belt etc). we would have her kids show up from time to time and there is a Lucy/Desi museum called Desilu Studios and inside it they have recreations of the sitcom's sets and props. and across the street we have an old theater called the Reg Lenna and they do both live events and movies inside they are showing the movie there in the near future.
Were they able to get their hands on this?

scarylucyhed.png

there is 2 statues now, that one which was horrid mess and a MUCH better one the newer one replaced that one but they moved it to another location at the park in Celeron NY, where Lucy's childhood house is just a few blocks away from this park.

6b1a7e4dbc23e6ee46ab05478fc2cf7c.jpg

I still wonder how someone made that first one and thought it looked fine.

Watched it and was ok but...very lazy. This should've been a mini series vs a 2hr movie.

They condensed all of that drama into 1 week? That happened across 6 years? Got episode titles wrong, events in the wrong year (Lucys communist scandal happened during the 3rd season, not the first) and made up characters (the director)

This wasn’t good. The supporting cast was good but the leads were completely miscast. Nicole is getting harder to watch as her Botox hides any natural wrinkles and she’s unable to move her forehead. Plus she could have used a bit stronger accent.

Javier is just not believable as Desi. He’s just too physically foreboding, which doesn’t fit Desi at all.

Watched it and was ok but...very lazy. This should've been a mini series vs a 2hr movie.

They condensed all of that drama into 1 week? That happened across 6 years? Got episode titles wrong, events in the wrong year (Lucys communist scandal happened during the 3rd season, not the first) and made up characters (the director)
So Aaron Sorkin does another biographical drama that plays with actual events... Sounds like The Social Network, but not good... Why did they frame the whole movie within a week?

So Aaron Sorkin does another biographical drama that plays with actual events... Sounds like The Social Network, but not good... Why did they frame the whole movie within a week?
Yes I don’t mind when they do that. Sometimes a birth to death biopic can just feel like a Wikipedia entry.

I enjoyed this but this was messy as Hell and it didn't have to be. i was a big fan of I Love Lucy as a kid watching the reruns on tv almost every night so it was nice seeing Kidman recreate the Lucille Ball. Javier Bardem is miscast as Desi Arnez but he does his damndest to imitate. There were several strong moments in this but the narrative is messy as Hell and I don't know why Sorkin elected to tell the story this way.

I couldn't get through it.
It was all over the shop in terms of it's story structure.
I concur that the leads , while both stellar actors, were miscast .

Hey, 50 is the new 40! 50s era celebrities often came off older than their actual ages, so I didn't find fifty something Lucy and Desi to be a distraction. I was also okay with the time compression in this and other Biopics. Dumping it all into one week made for a more interesting story without ringing false imo.

I was less okay with the older actor interviews. Linda Lavin's great, but what the heck was her reason for being in the film? Are we to assume these interviews are happening now or twenty years ago? Exactly how old are these people? And the phone call at the end rang false, and as it turns out it was. That was also unnecessary.

Overall it was a decent flick about a fascinating couple.

I love Lucy so maybe they were never gonna do her justice in my eyes, but I just did not care for this at all. The performances were good but it all just felt wrong, idk.

I love Lucy so maybe they were never gonna do her justice in my eyes, but I just did not care for this at all. The performances were good but it all just felt wrong, idk.
I've only watched the trailers, but just from that, it all just looks and feels "wrong". Bardem somehow more then Kidman.

Desi was 6 years younger than Lucy so Javier's casting made even less sense to me.

I still don't understand why they cast so much older for this film tbh.

Because they wanted big names and know that Nicole is a red head.

How she got this and Bewitched are beyond me (even though i like her)

Because they wanted big names and know that Nicole is a red head.

How she got this and Bewitched are beyond me (even though i like her)

With a better script, she could’ve been a great 00s version of Sam. Having her and Shirley MacLaine as Endora was good casting, but I digress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"