Adam McKay’s “Don’t Look Up” (JLaw, Di Caprio)

Rylance was my favorite character. Anytime I chuckled was because of him.

What with the seemingly intense hatred for Adam McKay on Film Twitter?

Same. It was actually my least favorite character because the voice and mannerisms were too similar. This is one place they should have cast a bit younger for a more Zuckerberg type
They could have just thrown subtlety out the window and cast Jesse Eisenberg.

Same. It was actually my least favorite character because the voice and mannerisms were too similar. This is one place they should have cast a bit younger for a more Zuckerberg type
I figured he was an amalgam of Bezos, Musk, and Zuckerberg.

Also I find it interesting that this movie and Silent Night (both came out this year) are about using the pandemic in similar ways.

Ah, yeah this definitely got some Mars Attacks vibes along with a little bit of Strangelove.

I saw this, it felt like Hollywood trolling....

I will say the most interesting comparison I have seen is to Shin Godzilla. Except that movie has a more hopeful ending.

I really enjoyed Don’t Look Up. But if I had to cite a weakness, it would be in regards to “scientific plausibility.” Specifically, I’m thinking of the post-credit scene wherein human refugees (including the president) land on a distant, Earth-like planet. I.e., it struck me as obvious that any civilization capable of multi-century, interstellar travel would have little difficulty deflecting a comet. Now, this sort of complaint is often cast as dull nitpicking. :ninja: But in this case, the post-credit scene was (IMO) unnecessary. Granted, it was modestly humorous; but I think its levity detracted from the (importantly) somber climax. In other words, being more scientifically accurate wouldn’t be an exercise in pedantry; I think it would have improved the movie’s impact and message.

I really enjoyed Don’t Look Up. But if I had to cite a weakness, it would be in regards to “scientific plausibility.” Specifically, I’m thinking of the post-credit scene wherein human refugees (including the president) land on a distant, Earth-like planet. I.e., it struck me as obvious that any civilization capable of multi-century, interstellar travel would have little difficulty deflecting a comet. Now, this sort of complaint is often cast as dull nitpicking. :ninja: But in this case, the post-credit scene was (IMO) unnecessary. Granted, it was modestly humorous; but I think its levity detracted from the (importantly) somber climax. In other words, being more scientifically accurate wouldn’t be an exercise in pedantry; I think it would have improved the movie’s impact and message.
I can buy wealthy elites and world leaders will rather put our resources into saving themselves rather than actually dealing with the destruction of Earth. :o

Mad Respect to Rob Morgan. Dude went from guest appearances on the Marvel series of Netflix several years ago to being billed 3rd in a huge star-studded film for Netflix.

High-five my man!

I highly enjoyed this. Not perfect (e.g. a bit too long and loses pace), but over all an entertaining satire/dark comedy. A great cast which seeminlgly had lots of fun with their characters. Btw, Blanchett obviously gets hotter by the decades.

Then again, I certainly can see why many could see this flick as disturbing and depressing for very various reasons.

I can buy wealthy elites and world leaders will rather put our resources into saving themselves rather than actually dealing with the destruction of Earth. :o
I can buy that. But I can’t buy they wouldn’t have weapons or some kind of security detail. You land on an unknown planet and just assume you can pet the wildlife?

I can buy that. But I can’t buy they wouldn’t have weapons or some kind of security detail. You land on an unknown planet and just assume you can pet the wildlife?
They're humans and dumb. We just elected them to govern us and pay them billions to make the happy rectangles of hot people taking selfies. :o

So I saw it - I liked it. I wish I could like it more than I did. I can't help but be somewhat disappointed, though, because McKay should have been the perfect guy for a 21st Century Strangelove. But where he's usually extremely on brand with his very specific stylistic flourishes, this one really felt all over the place both stylistically and tonally. It really needed to choose whether it wanted to be an increasingly somber, artistic death spiral of a last-ditch love letter to humanity OR a gonzo satire. Different characters and arcs feel like they've been pulled from each of those opposing movies, and the end result is none of them get fully realized. Either route could have made a great movie, but instead we're left with one that's 'merely' good.

The absolute funniest part of this whole thing, though is how many critics just fully missed the fact that they're the butt of the joke and sent-out reviews that might as well have been in-universe. I lost count of the number of 1 star Letterboxd reviews flaming it for "talking down to the audience" and "thinking it's the smartest person in the room." Like... how do they not see it? This is why we're doomed. People would rather be right & unchallenged than actually survive as a species.

The movie that points of the consequences of a divided country and each side believing its own narrative is getting hate from the very people this movie is talking about. How about that ?

I have to say.. although this is not Mckay's best movie, it is one that i enjoyed a lot. It would have probably bombed big time if it came out in theatres though.

The movie that points of the consequences of a divided country and each side believing its own narrative is getting hate from the very people this movie is talking about. How about that ?

I have to say.. although this is not Mckay's best movie, it is one that i enjoyed a lot. It would have probably bombed big time if it came out in theatres though.
yeah, it felt more like a tv show or series... a Hollywood movie, nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"