Reaction score
ALL STAR SUPERMAN #6

Writer-Grant Morrison
Art-Frank Quitely
Letterer-Phil Balsman
Cover Art-Frank Quitely
Editor-Bob Schreck

PLOT:
Clark Kent/Superman goes back to Smallville to mourn the loss of his adoptive father. While there to his hometown roots, the fifth Dimensional trickster investigates human drama from an entirely different perspective.

REVIEW:
Its been a long time since issue 5. I still remember getting that issue so for me, its been awhile. Thankfully the time between issues for this All Star title is somewhat a little better than the HUGE delays of All Star Batman & Robin. Everytime I saw the issue coming up, I now knew that I shouldn't get my hopes up. Because I knew what would happen and I would have to wait more. But by the end of December '06 going on January '07, I saw that All Star Superman was finally coming out that week. At first, like many, it was "do my eyes decieve me?". Nope. It was finally here.

Now for me, while I did read the solicit for this issue, from seeing the cover is where I had my own thoughts on what this issue might've been which was a 50/50 chance of actually being the issue. Seeing Krypto and Superman with Pa Kent's tombstone on the cover, and thinking back at Grant Morrison's interview, I was thinking that this storyline was to be about a flashback with Clark as Superboy, adventures with him, Pete Ross & Lana Lang with Krypto, but end with Pa Kent dead and Clark quitting Superboy as he was beginning to be a man. Now that thought is still in my head and I knew that since it was hardly what the issue was going to be, that if I still had that thought in my brain while I read this and it didn't have my idea, I might not like this issue for reasons that is only me and not true for what the book is. That wasn't a fear, just a concern.

But just what: this issue is, while not there, its as close as what my idea of what this sixth issue was going to be. I was surprised to see Superboy & Krypto, Lana Lang & Pete Ross, things that while it wasn't in my mind made another great issue of this series. As an extra, there are things in this issue that would geek you out. Of course, from all these references of many storylines and many eras of Superman, you may have to know alot or most about the DCU to understand.

This issue continues the main storyline that sorta stopped at Issue 3 (issue 4 was a Jimmy Olsen adventure and issue 5 was a Clark Kent focusing on Lex Luthor story). Which was part of my idea. This issue is about the last day of Pa Kent's life and includes The Superman Squad consisting of the Unknown Superman (most likely the same one seen in issue 2), the Superman from 853,500 A.D., and the Mxyzptlk-ed Superman from the 5th Dimension. This issue also includes time travel, the same time travel that will make you get headaches of what happened before this versus what happened in this issue now. Well maybe not, but it will get you thinking.

Let's go to what was shown in Smallville. First off, Clark back then...here, is not Superboy. He's Superman even back in his teens. The Kents shown here are, in my mind, have a generic design of both the Kents from the comics and what most people might think of couples in farms. Unlike Pete Ross, who wears something you might think a college student would wear in the sixties, Lana Lang doesn't look like she came from a Timeless Rockefeller America similar to Superman For All Seasons. Instead her clothes are very '90s-like with the flower pictured t-shirt, knee-high pants and flip-flops.

Pa Kent is the main focus in this issue. From the beginning where he talks to Young Clark about how it was like for him and Ma Kent before Clark arrived shows that he's religious, which kinda connects to Clark being Earth's savior. He must've known that he was gonna die on this day as the visit with the Superman Squad and his talk to the Unknown Superman gave him the courage to leave as he now knew it was fine and that Clark would be okay. While not the whole issue is about this, the whole thought of this is what made this time-travel, look back at Smallville issue a good one.

Overall, this was another good one. I loved that what I thought this issue was to be about was close to what this issue actually was. I hope the next issue comes out in February as I wanna see the book's take on the Bizarros in that action issue. Yes, you have to get this. Even when it comes to the time travel stuff.

RATING: 8/10

What's in store for next issue: an action issue of Superman versus Bizarro as Earth and Bizarro world go into battle.

This issue was my favorite from the series so far. Then again anytime Krypto is in an issue it becomes my favorite haha.

This issue was beautiful for me on so many levels. I'm not a big fan of Jonathan Kent dying but if it is what has to happen in the All-Star universe, then I don't know if it could have been handled any better. I was skeptical of Morrissons run on this book but issue 6 completely sold me on the title. The use of the Superman Squad could have and probably should have been corny, however it granted Supes a way to say goodbye to his Earth father, and that nearly had me weeping in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"