American Made

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
trailer is now available (has cursing so had to remove it)

In Universal Pictures’ American Made, Tom Cruise reunites with his Edge of Tomorrow director, Doug Liman (The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith), in this international escapade based on the outrageous (and real) exploits of a hustler and pilot unexpectedly recruited by the CIA to run one of the biggest covert operations in U.S. history.

Based on a true story, American Made co-stars Domhnall Gleeson, Sarah Wright, E. Roger Mitchell, Jesse Plemons, Lola Kirke, Alejandro Edda, Benito Martinez, Caleb Landry Jones and Jayma Mays.

The film is produced by Imagine Entertainment’s Academy Award®-winning producer Brian Grazer (A Beautiful Mind), Cross Creek Pictures’ Brian Oliver (Black Swan) and Tyler Thompson (Everest), Quadrant Pictures’ Doug Davison (The Departed), and Kim Roth (Inside Man). Gary Spinelli wrote the screenplay.

I see we are back to putting Tom's face on posters. Guess he isn't liability anymore.

I'm with it. Looks interesting. In the vein of War Dogs, Wolf of Wall Street, and Pain & Gain all I liked all of those to varying degrees. Liman is great too
I see we are back to putting Tom's face on posters. Guess he isn't liability anymore.

??? His face is always have been on his posters. Maybe a few here or there where he wasn't. Were they ever not?

This is a Tom Cruise we haven't seen in awhile, and he looks good in it. Turning up the charm!

It more or less reminds me of Gold with Matthew Mcconaughey. Hopefully it's better though.

Not loving the camerawork/cinematography, but looks okay otherwise.

Cruise has never had a problem switching up the genres, I give him that.

I'm with it. Looks interesting. In the vein of War Dogs, Wolf of Wall Street, and Pain & Gain all I liked all of those to varying degrees. Liman is great too

??? His face is always have been on his posters. Maybe a few here or there where he wasn't. Were they ever not?

Around the time when he was dating Katie Holmes and got into a feud with Brooke Shields, he was considered a liability. They didn't put his face on the War of the Worlds poster if I recall.

Cruise has never had a problem switching up the genres, I give him that.

He's been in the action genre with M:I series for a few years. He had some a sci-fi run as well. Wouldn't mind seeing him do a more personal story like Jerry Maguire again.

Around the time when he was dating Katie Holmes and got into a feud with Brooke Shields, he was considered a liability. They didn't put his face on the War of the Worlds poster if I recall.

Ah ok. But that's one example since the unless you were ignoring it his face has been all over most of his posters.
He hasn't been a liability in that sense since probably the War of the Worlds example

Kinda looks like something I'd expect Bradley Cooper to star in.

As an aviation buff, it's cool to see the Aerostar getting some love in this one.

I know Cruise looks great for his age, but I did laugh of a 30 year old Domhnell Gleeson giving 53 year old Tom Cruise a lecture on life. Really?

This is a really entertaining movie about a larger than life guy, Tom Cruise is fantastic in the lead role and inbues the film with a real energy, while the way Liman frames the story through Barry Seal's tapes is a great way to keep things zipping along at an engaging pace.

The film is really funny and has some genuine laugh out loud moments, now I know some might feel the subject matter should be depicted as more deadly serious, but the tone feels spot on for the era the events take place in.

The operation Barry Seal ran and all of the crosses and double crosses that took place as he was pulled every which way between the CIA, the Cartel and then the White House, was fascinating, and it was interesting to see how low tech things were on both the smuggling and money laundering end and on the law enforcement side of things.

This is a more pop video look at a unique slice of history than a rigid biopic, and for me was all the better for it.

8.5/10

This is a really entertaining movie about a larger than life guy, Tom Cruise is fantastic in the lead role and inbues the film with a real energy, while the way Liman frames the story through Barry Seal's tapes is a great way to keep things zipping along at an engaging pace.

The film is really funny and has some genuine laugh out loud moments, now I know some might feel the subject matter should be depicted as more deadly serious, but the tone feels spot on for the era the events take place in.

The operation Barry Seal ran and all of the crosses and double crosses that took place as he was pulled every which way between the CIA, the Cartel and then the White House, was fascinating, and it was interesting to see how low tech things were on both the smuggling and money laundering end and on the law enforcement side of things.

This is a more pop video look at a unique slice of history than a rigid biopic, and for me was all the better for it.

8.5/10
Sounds Great!
Looking forward to it.
Thanks for that review.

8.5/10

Nice.

I'm hyped now.

I didn't even know this was by Doug Liman... interesting.

I enjoyed this. It was nice to see Cruise in something that wasn’t just a pure action role.

In terms of movies with American in the title, I’d put it above American Pie and American Hustle and close to American Sniper. I haven’t seen American Assassin yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"