Tom Cruise Reteaming With Doug Liman for 1980s Crime Thriller

MrMaooz

Avenger
Reaction score
Tom Cruise and Doug Liman are in talks to reteam for Mena, a 1980s drug thriller being made by Universal and CrossCreek.

Liman, who helmed Cruise in last summer’s acclaimed sci-fi movie Edge of Tomorrow, is stepping into the shoes of Ron Howard, who was attached to direct the project when Universal picked it up as a spec for a reported $1 million.

The story tells of Barry Seal, a fired TWA pilot who became a major drug smuggler for the Medellin Cartel. He was later recruited by the DEA and CIA to provide intelligence, with his work tying to the Iran Contra scandal. He was assassinated by Colombians in 1986.

Cross Creek Pictures will fully finance Mena and Cross Creek’s Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson will produce alongside Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer and Quadrant Pictures' Doug Davison.

Mena will bring back Liman to the studio for the first time since making 2002's Bourne Identity thriller. Cruise last worked for Universal when he starred in the sci-fi picture Oblivion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-cruise-reteaming-doug-liman-763538

After Edge of Tomorrow I'm game for this collaboration.

I wish it were more sci-fi but the premise sounds interesting.

Kind of like the drug kingpin version of Argo.

I don't even know if Cruise will do this. The man has got so much on his plate, it seems.

Really? he only seems to release one movie a year.

Not a huge fan of "based on a true story" films but this sounds good and an interesting chance of pace from the recent stuff Tom Cruise has done.

Everything is based on a true story nowadays. Taken 3 actually happened.

:o

Considering that Seal was eventually murdered by assassins working for the cartel, this movie won't have a happy ending. How often does Cruise die in his movies, not very.

Damn, I wish I hadn't have clicked on that spoiler but it's my own fault. :argh:

Anyways, I'm quite looking forward to this. Tom Cruise is one of my favorite actors and it's pretty rare that I see a movie of his I don't like. Great to see him re-team with Liman too. :up:

Mena, the team-up between Tom Cruise and director Doug Liman that Deadline broke back in January, now has a full flight plan and a January 6, 2017, release date. Universal Pictures has confirmed that Cruise is reteaming with his Edge Of Tomorrow helmer (a most underrated film) for the true and truly outrageous exploits of Barry Seal, a hustler and pilot unexpectedly recruited by the CIA to run one of the biggest covert operations in U.S. history. Given Cruise’s penchant for doing his own Mission: Impossible stunts and his prowess as a pilot, this one ought to be an adventure, and it likely will be impossible to get him out of the cockpit. Joining Cruise is Ex Machina‘s Domhnall Gleeson, Sarah Wright, Friday Night Lights‘ Jesse Plemons, Caleb Landry Jones, Jayma Mays, Benito Martinez, E. Roger Mitchell, Lola Kirke and Alejandro Edda. Cross Creek is fully funding, with Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson producing with Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer and Kim Roth, and Quadrant Pictures’ Doug Davison.

“I love stories of improbable heroes working against the system, and Barry Seal took the government, and our country, for an unbelievable ride,” said Liman. “Interpreting his story has the makings for an entertaining film that is equal parts satire, suspense and comedy—and always surprising.”

Hollywood Back At It With Generic Title Change From Mena to American Made

Universal Retitles Tom Cruise-Doug Liman Film & Moves Release Date
he fall of 2017 is gearing up to be a crowded time for male-demo action pictures.

Universal Pictures just announced that the Tom Cruise-Doug Liman CIA film Mena has been retitled American Made and is getting pushed by nine months into a spot that will be chest-bumping other tentpole films. American Made, based on the real-life exploits of Barry Seal, a hustler and pilot unexpectedly recruited by the CIA in the 1980s to run one of the biggest covert operations in U.S. history, will now open September 29, 2017, instead of January 6, 2017. That moves the Imagine Entertainment/Cross Creek film that reunites the Edge of Tomorrow director and actor into a faceoff with Sony’s Denzel Washington The Equalizer sequel and drops it one week before Warner Bros’ untitled Blade Runner sequel with Harrison Ford.

The film is produced by Imagine’s Brian Grazer, Cross Creek’s Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson and Quadrant Pictures’ Doug Davison, and Kim Roth.
http://deadline.com/2016/08/universal-renames-tom-cruise-doug-liman-film-release-date-1201800564/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"