• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Amour (2012), a film by Michael Haneke

DA_Champion

Avenger
Reaction score
Amour (2012)
Director: Michael Haneke
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
IMDB: 7.8/10
Winner: Palme D'or, Festival de Cannes 2012
Oscar Nominations: Best picture, best director, best actress, best original screenplay.
5 star ratings from 25 different raters listed on the DVD cover

I think these are the theatrical posters:
11165435_det.jpg
MV5BMTk1NTc3NDc4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYwNDk0OA@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

I finally got around to watching Amour, the 2012 film from French-Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke that I have heard is a masterpiece from several independent sources. It lived up to its reputation, though I still got to appreciate it since I managed to watch it without actually knowing what it was about beforehand.

Amour, for those of you who don't know, is a French language word which my DVD translates as "love". That's only partially correct, it can also mean "beloved", as "mon amour" translates as "my beloved", the French word amour can be used as both a verb (e.g. Je' t'aime) and a noun. The movie itself is a journey about what one man, Georges Laurent (Jean-Louis Trintignant), is willing and not willing to do as his love, Anne Laurent (Emmanuelle Riva) first suffers a stroke which nearly completely paralyses half her body, and later, another stroke, putting her on an inevitable path to death. Whereas the first stroke took her body, the second stroke took her mind.

The scene shown in the two posters above is that of the first stroke. George is holding Anne trying to get her attention, and she's unresponsive, he then thinks she's playing a prank. We see him care for her and worried for her when the stroke starts (first image), and we see her unresponsive (second image).

This is very much a movie that Hollywood would never make, it's a movie about how miserable dying is, for both the person dying and those taking care of her. It's such a painful experience that only love could motivate one to do it, but love is also what makes it painful. I recognised a lot of these developments from my late father's prostate cancer, and thus I'm sure that Haneke (who also wrote the screenplay) had experience taking care of someone dying.

There's the whole 1 step forward, 2 steps back of the process, where improvement is made in one regard while other parts slip. We see George help Anne with her leg exercises, doing repetitions, but at the same time her face is shown to gross worse, more lifeless. We see George struggle to feed Anne, he can get a couple spoons of gruel down, but no more, with each spoonful a struggle. As Anne deteriorates, her lucidity worsens, she first stops speaking in full sentences, and later, she starts screaming out for her mother, as many people on their death bed do, reverting to how they were as a three year old. It's not a behaviour that anybody would guess if they had never seen anybody die as it's counter-intuitive, and I suspect that they would not empathise if shown it in a movie either.

The movie ends in a way I wasn't expecting, due to my Hollywood sensibilities. George tells Anne a childhood story to calm her down one night when she is agitated. Following this, he smothers her with his pillow. The same love which drove him to take care of her so attentively also drove him to so much pain that he gave up. It's not entirely surprising as I've heard of families going insane on their family in hospitals. This followed up on a scene earlier in the movie when George slapped Anne, he apologised and felt bad afterward, but that was a way of noting the beginning of his descent.

This is a very good film, I recommend it if you've ever dealt with a relative slowly dying. Otherwise, I suspect you won't be able to follow the psychology, as this is a very focused film and doesn't touch on much of anything else.

Two additional, miscellaneous comments:

1) I had heard prior to watching this movie that it was misanthropic. I don't get the criticism, how is it misanthropic?
2) As I'm bilingual and with limited hearing, I had a hard time watching a French-language film with English-language subtitles, it's confusing to have the subtitles in a different language as the dialogue when I can follow the dialogue. I would have preferred if French subtitles were included, but for some reason they never include those in French-language films, only in English-language films.

Last edited:
The ending of this absolutely destroyed me. Really great film.

Absolutely boring movie with an hilariously awful ending.

Moral of the story:
If you fail to hire a proper nanny, don't bother trying again, just kill your beloved

Also this movie had too much needless filler about walking.

IMO the greatest film made in the past 5-6 years. A film that is extremely brave, unsentimental and looks mortality square in the eye and doesn't blink. Its direction in unparalleled. This is an absolutely remarkable work of film direction. The movie plays out like life itself, the two legendary performances are free of all affect and push the boundaries of realism and naturalism and the scenes in the movie play out as if they are spontaneously happening before you in real life. But rest assured, every frame of this movie is rigorously directed and exactingly arranged by Haneke who I think reestablishes his position as the best director working today.

It also remains one of the most singular movies ever nominated by the Academy for the Best Picture Oscar, possibly since Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers.

This is a tough movie but not easily forgotten. It is the expression of a world view by its director that is at once sobering and life-affirming.

PS: There is a pretty big spoiler in the OP that I think is unwarranted and might unmask one of the most important scenes in the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.

Count me in with the people who hated this film. Absolute bore with a f*** you ending. It wasted my time.

Count me in with the people who hated this film. Absolute bore with a f*** you ending. It wasted my time.

We usually like the same films. :argh: #TeamASeparation

Last edited:
some context for this movie. in 2013 Amour was nominated for best picture. Dark Knight Rises was not. a lot of superhero movie fans watched this only to see which movie got nominated before TDKR.

just some context.

We usually like the same films. :argh: #TeamASeparation

:oldrazz: I know, I know. Amour is one of the few films that manages to piss me off...if the ending took a different route maybe I wouldn't be too harsh about it but yeah... #TeamASeparation Loved that movie. :awesome:

Lol. TDKR was not even remotely in the running. Only fanboys could have thought that TDKR would be nominated for Best Picture. What an absurd thought. If anything the only blockbuster from that year which had a chance was Skyfall which got nominated for 5 Oscars and won 2.

some context for this movie. in 2013 Amour was nominated for best picture. Dark Knight Rises was not. a lot of superhero movie fans watched this only to see which movie got nominated before TDKR.

just some context.

Are you giving us some context?

:oldrazz: I know, I know. Amour is one of the few films that manages to piss me off...if the ending took a different route maybe I wouldn't be too harsh about it but yeah...

Yeah I understand what you mean. I get why it can piss people off. I was actually stunned to silence during the last parts of the movie. This is one of those movies that I liked and thought was great but there's absolutely no way that I will watch it again. Have you seen Funny Games?

#TeamASeparation Loved that movie. :awesome:

Indeed, indeed. :word:

just some context.

Eh... I highly doubt superhero movie fans thought of Amour that way. If anything, the only way this got the attention of casual non-film fans was because Riva's performance was hyped by some pundits to be the one that could possibly threaten Jennifer Lawrence's chances of winning Best Actress.

If anything the only blockbuster from that year which had a chance was Skyfall which got nominated for 5 Oscars and won 2.

I think Avengers got some hype too of possibly being a BP nominee. Not as close as Skyfall but definitely more hype than TDKR.

Are you giving us some context?

:funny:

Have you seen Funny Games?

I didn't see the original but I've seen most of the remake ...I thought it was interesting. I can probably give that ending a pass because it was a psychological horror/thriller film and it was doing something interesting with it. Whereas with Amour I got nothing but boredom and depression.

I think Avengers got some hype too of possibly being a BP nominee. Not as close as Skyfall but definitely more hype than TDKR.

I love Avengers. I think it is a pop culture milestone. A grand entertainment that isn't so idiotic to think it is some kind of grand commentary on human life the way Nolan films were. It is a movie that unites people in joy and entertainment. I would have been thrilled to see it nominated for Best Picture alongside Amour, but even I would admit that there was no way that was happening. It though definitely had more chances than TDKR which was a movie that divided people.

Oh and I highly recommend the original Funny Games to everybody. It is another masterpiece. It is an absolutely nasty film but has some brilliantly directed long takes and extra-ordinary performances. Haneke basically plays the audience like a piano but it is a brilliant film nonetheless.

I love both versions of Funny Games. It's good to see a American remake actually done by the original film maker.

I haven't seen this yet though, i will check it out thusly.

I saw some of the remake and I simply don't think the actors measure up. As good as Watts is, she was no match for Susan Lothar (from The White Ribbon) neither was Roth for the great Ulrich Muhe (from The Lives Of Others).

The anguish expressed by Lothar and Muhe in that 10 minute single take after a certain incident (will not spoil which) was absolute numbing.

just some context.

Who the hell thought TDKR would get nominated for Best Picture? :huh:

people who watched Amour the week when they announced the nominations. when Amour was nominated for best picture and TDKR was not.

when some thought that TDKR will win because it was the end of the trilogy like LOTR in 2004

TDKR was not the best picture of 2012 and Jennifer Lawrence was not the best actress.

Actually, Silver Linings was not even the best performance from Jennifer Lawrence.

Last edited:
IMO the greatest film made in the past 5-6 years. A film that is extremely brave, unsentimental and looks mortality square in the eye and doesn't blink. Its direction in unparalleled. This is an absolutely remarkable work of film direction. The movie plays out like life itself, the two legendary performances are free of all affect and push the boundaries of realism and naturalism and the scenes in the movie play out as if they are spontaneously happening before you in real life. But rest assured, every frame of this movie is rigorously directed and exactingly arranged by Haneke who I think reestablishes his position as the best director working today.

It also remains one of the most singular movies ever nominated by the Academy for the Best Picture Oscar, possibly since Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers.

This is a tough movie but not easily forgotten. It is the expression of a world view by its director that is at once sobering and life-affirming.

PS: There is a pretty big spoiler in the OP that I think is unwarranted and might unmask one of the most important scenes in the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.

The film is 2 years old, but all right, I added spoiler tags ...

Who the hell thought TDKR would get nominated for Best Picture? :huh:

Are you new to this forum? Every single new CBM gets a lot of 10/10 votes.

There's a thread on this forum suggesting Iron Man 2 deserved best picture in its year.

Last edited:
There is already a BvS Oscar thread. Fanboyism, thy name is delusion.

FWIW, there are some high quality extras on this DVD, much better than most DVDs.

There's a Making of Amour, which is mostly discussions with Emmanuelle Riva and Michael Haneke about the film, about the difficulty of filming it. Haneke said that he loved her for her role in Hiroshima Mon Amour, which was one of his favourite movies when he was younger. When he did the auditions, he was thus hoping that she would be the best one, and relieved when she was, because he wanted her. Riva said that Haneke really micromanages the actors performances in an exceptionally precise manner.

There's a camera capture where Haneke is directing Isabelle Huppert, who plays the daughter. She is crying with her back to the camera. He comes and tells her that she is crying the wrong way. Nice directing, I wonder how many directors would do that.

Haneke says that he aims for simplicity, that all artists aim for simplicity (I guess he has not any CBMs), but that simplicity is very, very hard.

There's an introduction by Philippe Rouyer, co-author of Haneke by Haneke. He dissects parts of the film. Apparently one of the titles considered for the film was La Musique Arretes, which translates as The Music Stops.

There's an interview with Jean-Louis Trintignant. Apparently he had not done a movie in like 10 years. He read the script for Haneke but he told Haneke he did not want to see the movie because it was sad, he eventually changed his mind. When filming, he kept suggesting ideas to Haneke and kept being turned down. He said that good filmmaking doesn't mean individually good scenes, but rather having the story work together as a whole.

Each of these are approximately ~15 minutes long, so it's 45 minutes of genuine extra content.

Having had a few more days for the film to sink in, it is shocking to me that Jennifer Lawrence won the Oscar for best actress for her performance in Silver Linings Playbook over Emmanuelle Riva for her performance in Amour. Just WTF?

Last edited:
It is just as equally shocking that ****ing Argo of all things won Best Picture over Amour, and Ang Lee won Best Director over Haneke and Tarantino won Best Screenplay over Haneke.

There are those films and then there is Amour which is in a completely different universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"