Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine

Piper Maru

Reaction score
Are there any fans who read Analog? If so, what are some of your favorite stories?

The Sands of Titan, by Richard A. Lovett is one of my favorites.

I have read this one, Asimov's, AND Fantasy & Science Fiction in the past for several continuous months at a time, though not currently. I think my main problem with all three is due to some genre bleeding I never really get exactly what I want, which is usually adventure fantasy. All three of those lean towards science fiction, mostly harder science fiction in the case of Analog and Asimov's, lighter science fiction in F & SF. What fantasy us in F & SF is often surrealist, as well, so...again, just not my thing.

The other detriment is the price versus the internet. There are so many good websites offering great science fiction and fantasy short fiction and novellas for free, with the same level of standards as these three publications. Take a look at Clarkesworld, Apex, Tor.com, Strange Horizons, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Black Gate, etc., all of them are usually updated weekly. Why would I want to pay six dollars for something I don't even enjoy as much as the selections on these sites? It's an issue I developed and couldn't souse out in my mind, so I dropped all the print ones.

Once in a while I do look at F & SF but it just continues to justify my dropping it. I did sign up for a four-issue subscription to Black Gate but they went all digital and I had to actually finish up with some back issues. It's sad that print is slowly dying this way, but if I can't find something I like in print, it seems like its the industry's own fault. I'd love to read the type of stories that are in Beneath Ceaseless Skies or Black Gate in a magazine, but apparently no one else feels the same way to justify producing print versions.

So I take it nobody else on the hype reads Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine or Asimov's Science Fiction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"