Anyone no anything about dogs?

Hole Shot

Better Than Smurfberries
Reaction score
I just had mine snipped two weeks ago and he's still marking terrority. Someone said that it takes a little time for the testosterone to get out of the system so he'll still behave like he has a pair for little bit. Is this true? I never had one of my dogs fixed before, but I never had to keep a dog indoors until this guy.

Yes it is. Dogs (and cats) use urine to mark their territory, so they are still able to mark even after castration. The testosterone just provides them with a greater instinct to mark their territory, so to attract a mate and ward off potential competition. Furthermore, as the testes hae nothing to do with the ability to mark, certain animals have been known to continue to mark their territory after castration out of sheer habit.

It works for some dogs. Not for others. Our puppy is pretty much the same as he always was.

My Pitt is 11 and was snipped at 2. I watched him marking his territory this am as I left for work.

I know something about dogs.

I don't no anything about them, though.

Yes it is. Dogs (and cats) use urine to mark their territory, so they are still able to mark even after castration. The testosterone just provides them with a greater instinct to mark their territory, so to attract a mate and ward off potential competition. Furthermore, as the testes hae nothing to do with the ability to mark, certain animals have been known to continue to mark their territory after castration out of sheer habit.

Yup. Also depends on the age you have them neutered at. After about six months old or so, a lot of dogs will start marking territory and it becomes a habit. If you get them snipped right around six months, it usually catches them before they've started doing that and they never develop the habit.

jag

Yup. Also depends on the age you have them neutered at. After about six months old or so, a lot of dogs will start marking territory and it becomes a habit. If you get them snipped right around six months, it usually catches them before they've started doing that and they never develop the habit.

jag

Which is yet another reason to get your pets spayed or neutered early.

Which is yet another reason to get your pets spayed or neutered early.

Just like the man says.

BobBarkerSeason31Publicity.jpg

I know something about dogs.

I don't no anything about them, though.

That comment was so obvious you deserve to be slapped :o

Ok ok, admittedly I was going to say that if you didn't :(

OH THE SHAME :eek:

That comment was so obvious you deserve to be slapped :o

Ok ok, admittedly I was going to say that if you didn't :(

OH THE SHAME :eek:

I would've said something too, but this is my personal field of expertise and thus it was my duty to help and leave the jokes to others.

I just had mine snipped two weeks ago and he's still marking terrority. Someone said that it takes a little time for the testosterone to get out of the system so he'll still behave like he has a pair for little bit. Is this true? I never had one of my dogs fixed before, but I never had to keep a dog indoors until this guy.

I know for a fact that it should go away. But if it doesn't go away after a few months, then you should get worried. And ask Dog Lips, I think he might know about the details on the psychology of dogs getting the fix.

I know i would never snip my dog .it just seems wrong.

I know what you mean. I used to be like that. Until I found my dog peeing on my bed. DO ONE does that and gets away with it. One stupid move and he's still paying for it.

jag

be extremely careful when doing this at an early age, because some vets will also give them all of their shots at once when they are snipped. this is extremely dangerous as they could have any one of a number of reactions which, sadly, ive seen end in death.

be vary careful about the vets you let touch your dogs, and what you feed them when extremely young. no iams, no pedigree, no wet dog food, no grapes, or any fruit/vegetable for that matter, let them eat dog food, no matter how much they beg.

be extremely careful when doing this at an early age, because some vets will also give them all of their shots at once when they are snipped. this is extremely dangerous as they could have any one of a number of reactions which, sadly, ive seen end in death.

be vary careful about the vets you let touch your dogs, and what you feed them when extremely young. no iams, no pedigree, no wet dog food, no grapes, or any fruit/vegetable for that matter, let them eat dog food, no matter how much they beg.

Iams and Pedigree are alright, you've just got to watch the expiration date. There is no 100% safe or healthy dog food. Grapes are toxic to dogs, as are other foods we commonly eat.

Also, if you're prepared and informed about the slim possibility of a reaction from any vaccination, there is no problem with giving multiple vaccines at the same time (although more than three is highly excessive). Common harmless side effects are mild fever, drowsiness and some (SOME) vomiting. Excessive vomiting, diarrhea and/or swelling in the lips/facial region are signs of a bad allergic reaction, although in most cases an anti-inflammatory injection will help.

Nevermind the behavioral issues you'd be avoiding that'll likely keep your house cleaner and less.. fragrant, you'll also be preventing and/or lessening the chances of many infections and cancers. It's a good idea to spay/neuter your pets if you're not planning on breeding them, and even then, you should do it before three years of age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"