Are 23 episodes too much ? Are Arrow seasons too long ?

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Batmannerism, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Are 23 episodes too much ? Are Arrow seasons too long ?

1. Yes, trim it down to a 13 or 16 episode format

2. No, they absolutely need 23 episodes to really tell the story

3. I'm okay with the way it is, but they could do with less filler

4. Undecided

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Here's a similar, if weird, idea: "backup" stories. Just like how a lot of older comics would have a couple page story focused on another character, do that with the show. Each episode, you have 30 minutes of Arrow, and then 10 minutes of the backup "show". Maybe you'd have four "episodes" of a Diggle story, then three "episodes" of Black Canary, then a five episode Mr Terrific story. Etc.

2. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

I think the backup story might be a really good idea. It helps side step the "I want to see Oliver, not anyone else" issue by being very transparent, though it doesn't avoid it entirely.

3. SuperBatman

SuperBatman Registered

I think some Series have taken that approach of having 2-4 arcs over a season. Look at AOS its going into the 3rd arc this season and Gotham has pretty much done the same thing,

4. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Shorter shows definitely seem more focused in general. And while I like Arrow a lot of stuff does seem like filler. So yes, personally I do think the seasons are too long.

5. Gu3ree

Gu3ree Registered

Frankly, I didn't want the show to go longer than 5 seasons, and I can't believe they're continuing after season 5. It's gotten better this season, but season 4 is when it really went downhill for me. I thought the writers were being smart at the beginning. I thought they had a goal for 5 seasons. But no, they don't have limits. Just greed.

Still most long running tv series don't succeed as other shows do.

6. inkblaster

inkblaster Registered

I think if they do more crossovers, with lead in shows to crossovers, that helps as better "filler". Last year with the Legends of Tomorrow deal kind of helped, it was too early in the season and a bit rushed, but having the crossover lead ins before the winter break, and then the crossover events after the break would really help.

23 episodes is standard, unless the Netflix and BBC schedules start becoming more accepted here in 'merica, that's probably how it's going to be. Networks gotta fill 23 weeks with shows, good or bad.

7. AvatarWan

As stated above, I think this show (and The Flash) would benefit infinitely from having mini-arcs within each season, kind of like how the animated shows such as Justice League, TMNT, Spectacular Spider-Man used to do. I mean, this is a comic book show after all and there's plenty of characters in this show to choose from to give interesting respective story arcs.

8. kenderos

kenderos Registered

People complain about the monster of the week format but if it's done right it helps a ton with pacing, which is the major problem with this show.

These characters have also had the same conversations for 5 years now. "How far is too far? will they won't they? Is everything my fault?"
    break the season into 2 parts like this season, Actually have a flashback worth telling, and give the main plot a breather every once in a while.

9. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

why do they have 23 as opposed to 22. Most network series have 22 episodes. Some on CBS would have 24. But 23 is a bit unusual. I'm surprised the CW has enough $$$ for the extra episode.

10. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

23 is too much for any show, IMO but especially for Arrow where the writing is all over the place.

11. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

With the right writers this is perfect for these types of shows, it gives them time to build on the characters and explore plenty of story but Arrowverse writers only like to focus on like 2/3 characters in a cast of 8/9 so its useless and 10 episodes is about all they can handle.

12. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Registered

If Buffy the Vampire Slayer could manage this a decade ago, these shows should also be able to manage it.

Main big bad storyline for 13-15, alternate little bads storylines for the rest. Make the little bads eps consequential for the interpersonal dramas.