Are There Comic Book Storylines that you don't want to see adopted to film?

Mysteryman

Avenger
Reaction score
I am just curious if there are certain comic book storylines that people think should either NOT be adapted or that you think wouldn't translate well to film.
Just Curious.

World War Hulk, anything from the dark reign era, Avengers vs X-Men (not that it's likely).

Any of the Crisis events for DC.

Mostly everything after the first arc of Ultimate Avengers.

The Long Halloween - Great Two-Face origin story (though Nolan's take is vastly improved) that suffers from being too Godfather-esque.

The Killing Joke
I don't care that it's happening, it shouldn't be adapted.

Batman: HUSH
The character of HUSH is interesting, but a straight up adaption of that arc won't be a good idea.

The Dark Phoenix Saga
It's kinda been adapted, but in a better way.
I don't want to see the freaking alien connection to the X-Men on film, that connection is dumb.
If you enter this thread Bamannerism, I know how you will reply, I memorized it when you said it before. Sorry dude.

Clone Saga
Of any kind, not even the Ultimate version.

Carnage
Keep that farter off movies, symbiotes suck, except for the black suit Spidey wore, that looks great on Flash Thompson.

Robot Parents
I like the story-line, but it's not for everyone, most people hate it, and the conclusion is so bad it made the story scar people's minds for a while.

Flashpoint
I don't know how the first one with Wally West was done, it was a side story, a mini series or a one shot, one I have not read. I know the second one is pretty bad, I enjoy it, but it's bad, it should not be adapted, never again after that animated film that improved the fight between Barry and Thawne.

Anything written by Grant Morrison.

Everything Ms. Marvel, BatsDC, OcStat, and daddydivine mentioned.

Red hood. Animated movie was perfect. Don't need to see it again

Kraven's Last Hunt.

Well shucks that is one of the last great Spidey stories not to be adapted to screen (though the symbiote saga, the Lizard, and Death of Gwen Stacy were poorly done).

With that said, I did come to add a few Spidey stories:

-The Clone Saga

-One More Day (though I would love for them to get to the wedding one of these days... a long time off though given the latest recasting).

I also would stress not killing/sending Bruce Wayne hundreds of years through time. Oh, also All-Star Batman. And The Dark Knight Strikes Again. You know what, how about we just not do anymore Frank Miller Batman stories? That would be great.

The Dark Phoenix Saga
I don't want to see the freaking alien connection to the X-Men on film, that connection is dumb.

Also, you don't say? I really hated how X3 adapted the Phoenix Saga, making Jean a bit player in what was supposed to be her story, killing off Cyclops off-screen, and turning the Phoenix into a character that has no fire powers. Also Ratner is a hack.

I kind of like the idea of a cosmic Phoenix saga told over several films. I also have a hunch we are getting it pretty soon.

House of M
One More Day

-One More Day (though I would love for them to get to the wedding one of these days... a long time off though given the latest recasting).

I also would stress not killing/sending Bruce Wayne hundreds of years through time. Oh, also All-Star Batman. And The Dark Knight Strikes Again. You know what, how about we just not do anymore Frank Miller Batman stories? That would be great.
Those shouldn't be adapted either.

Also, you don't say? I really hated how X3 adapted the Phoenix Saga, making Jean a bit player in what was supposed to be her story, killing off Cyclops off-screen, and turning the Phoenix into a character that has no fire powers. Also Ratner is a hack.

I kind of like the idea of a cosmic Phoenix saga told over several films. I also have a hunch we are getting it pretty soon.
Oh, ok.
If they can find a better way to connect the Shi'ar to the X-Men though, Lilandra and Chuck falling in love over one vision is one of the dumbest ideas, and it is what scares me about the connection between the aliens and the mutants.

Well nothing is set in stone. Heroic Hollywood claims that is definitely the next X-Men movie, but Heroic Hollywood makes **** up every other week (they really do not count as journalists after a certain point). With that said, Singer (who will likely stay on as producer since he appears to be leaving the X-Men to do 20,000 Leagues) has said he'd be intrigued about things going cosmic and I think he mentioned "fighting on the moon" and doing it in a way that's different from James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy.

He also has said we would see hints of Jean's darker side in "Apocalypse." So all signs point toward something fiery in the horizon.

the killing joke
Grant Morrison's Talia
edit to add: the dark knight returns or any frank miller stories really

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of people here won't be watching The Killing joke.
I just heard that they plan on adding Footage of Barbara as Batgirl to illustrate her career as a crimefighter before The Joker's attack, any thoughts on that?

Well shucks that is one of the last great Spidey stories not to be adapted to screen (though the symbiote saga, the Lizard, and Death of Gwen Stacy were poorly done).

Precisely why I don't think they should touch it. With the way other Spider-Man stories have been adapted, I have little faith that Kraven's Last Hunt would be done well. Especially if they try to shoehorn Kraven's "biggest" story into one film where he is introduced and then commits suicide within two hours. I don't think we really need to see Spider-Man buried alive either. Not that I wouldn't enjoy some scenes showing off his creepy side (Spider-Man , after all), but this story is built upon the constant reappearance of super villains that only happens in it's original medium.

Precisely why I don't think they should touch it. With the way other Spider-Man stories have been adapted, I have little faith that Kraven's Last Hunt would be done well. Especially if they try to shoehorn Kraven's "biggest" story into one film where he is introduced and then commits suicide within two hours. I don't think we really need to see Spider-Man buried alive either. Not that I wouldn't enjoy some scenes showing off his creepy side (Spider-Man , after all), but this story is built upon the constant reappearance of super villains that only happens in it's original medium.

If Marvel is making it I will have more faith. Recently, Marvel has done a very good job loosely adapting The Winter Soldier saga to the screen and by reports they improved Mark Millar's Civil War storyline (which was a great idea that was HORRIBLY executed).

For the record, I quite enjoyed the very liberal revision Fox did of the Days of Future Past saga. But be that as it may, I have real doubts they are going to transfer Old Man Logan to the screen as easily.

Agreed.
we have seen as much of Demon In A Bottle as we will ever see in IM2.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Possibly the worst Batman and Superman story ever written (though BvS comes close).

The Killing Joke
I don't care that it's happening, it shouldn't be adapted.

Batman: HUSH
The character of HUSH is interesting, but a straight up adaption of that arc won't be a good idea.

The Dark Phoenix Saga
If you enter this thread Bamannerism, I know how you will reply, I memorized it when you said it before. Sorry dude.

Flashpoint
I don't know how the first one with Wally West was done, it was a side story, a mini series or a one shot, one I have not read. I know the second one is pretty bad, I enjoy it, but it's bad, it should not be adapted, never again after that animated film that improved the fight between Barry and Thawne.

Anything written by Grant Morrison.

Everything Ms. Marvel, BatsDC, OcStat, and daddydivine mentioned.

Dude, that's harsh ! Dark Phoenix is the greatest X-Men story ever, if not one of the greatest comic book stories of all time - I can't see how you would adapt it without the alien angle - especially since the MCU has done a great job of (mock) space opera with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm hopeful that it could be adapted, but it would need to be done properly, possibly over 2 movies or a TV series. You need to really build up the audience's sympathy for Scott and Jean - I mean, basing the series around Logan and Jean's romance was a terrible disservice to the fans.

I did like the death of Professor X, from Last Stand, but that was about it.

As for Grant Morrison - possibly the one thing that could be adapted is All-Star Superman, the animated version is pretty good, and it definitely is the greatest Superman story.

Also, Morrison wrote a great one-off back in 1999 "Earth 2" probably the best JLA/Crime Syndicate story ever, wayyy better than Forever Evil. That would totally work as an animated film, or a live action JL film.

(BTW they already adapted Morrison's the Invisibles.....except it was called The Matrix)

I agree that they should not adapt any of the Crisis stuff - except the original Crisis on Infinite Earths (that was awesome) but the other crises kind of sucked.

As for Batman..... well Nolan incorporated a lot of Long Halloween into his Dark Knight films, as well as snippets of Batman Year One and Knightfall.

Sadly, Snyder botched an adaptation-rip off of Dark Knight Returns ( god let's hope he never goes near Dark Knight STrikes again, which is awful to begin with).

I think Sinestro War would work, if highly modified !

Okay, sorry, those are things that could be adapted what do I think shouldn't be adapted hmmm.........

okay, okay, Emerald Twilight - because turning Hal Jordan into a villain would only have worked if they had a convincing GL to replace him....which they didn't.

Oh man, all I can think of is stuff that should be adapted, sorry

like the 1985 Secret Wars, Kingdom Come, Justice.....ahhhhhh !

Okay, I'll get back to this later.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Possibly the worst Batman and Superman story ever written (though BvS comes close).
I thought for certain you'd mention Shadowhawk :oldrazz:
Speaking of Frank Miller's work, I'd hate to see his Man Without Fear version of Elektra adapted to film or TV, that stuff is disturbing.

As for Grant Morrison - possibly the one thing that could be adapted is All-Star Superman, the animated version is pretty good, and it definitely is the greatest Superman story.
I forgot that one, yeah, that is fantastic.

UNCANNY X-FORCE
It's just too good at weaving through the X-Men's continuity and too heavily reliant on said continuity; without decades of X-stories to draw off of, it just won't work as well. It also has alternate dimensions and futures which require too much time to flesh out that a movie wouldn't have time for. And that's not to mention the many Marvel owned characters who have large parts in the story. It's really a masterpiece of long-form comic storytelling that I can't see Fox (or Marvel for that matter) ever being able to do justice.

So I really hope they just don't try, and end up messing it all up.

Superior Spider-man
Son of Batman
Convergence
One More Day
A Guy and his G'nort
Totally Awesome Hulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members