• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are We In A New Age Of Comics?

Themanofbat said:
(1) Back when the Hype actually had year end awards nominated by the posters and voted by the posters, I was the winner of Hype Poster with the Best Comic Book Knowledge in 2001, 2002 as well as 2003. :)

I've been reading practically every Marvel, DC comics since 1975, and independants since 1981.

Who am I? I'm the hairless geekman. :D ;)

(2) The same people that say you need to drink 8 glasses of water per day and that eggs are good/bad for you. :)
Fix'd

The thing is that since all of us comic book nerds don't all think in one mind and we have different opinoins and can't communucate with all of us and diffenre views on what cause a dramatic change in comics makes pinpoitning an age of comics very hard......

Many belive the Death of Gwen in '73 started a new age some though Batman in 1969 with Neal Adams making Batman a dark knight.It's hard to pin point.

But I think we can all agree 1973-1993 Reformation Age/ Age of Reformation makes sense. Right!

:) :p ;p

Look, the way I see it:
(Golden Age)
1938-1954: First appearance of Superman to the first appearance of the Barry Allen Flash.

(Silver Age)
1954-1973: First appearance of the Barry Allen Flash to the death of Gwen Stacy.

(Bronze Age)
1973-1986: Death of Gwen Stacy to the first publishing of Watchmen.

(Diamond Age, a term from Scott McCloud, used to show the various facets to the age)
1986-1991: The first publishing of Watchmen to the first publishing of the (Adjectiveless) X-Men title and the following franchisization.

(Dark Age, the comic book market crash)
1991-2000: The first publishing of the (Adjectiveless) X-Men title to Marvel Comics coming out of bankruptcy.

(Modern/Millenium Age)
2000-Present: Marvel Comics coming out of bankruptcy to -----

I agree basically with your theory

.But I tihnk Diamond and Bronze Age should be in the same catergory but divided into two parts because the two ages make comics more serious affairs than they were before. Such as Gwen's Death, Swamp Thing, Tomb of Dracula, the new X-Men with the Phoenix and the Dark Phoenix Saga and self publushing became popular..

The 90s was such a bad time for comics...thats when I started reading them....:(

Harlekin said:
Look, the way I see it:
(Golden Age)
1938-1954: First appearance of Superman to the first appearance of the Barry Allen Flash.

(Silver Age)
1954-1973: First appearance of the Barry Allen Flash to the death of Gwen Stacy.

(Bronze Age)
1973-1986: Death of Gwen Stacy to the first publishing of Watchmen.

(Diamond Age, a term from Scott McCloud, used to show the various facets to the age)
1986-1991: The first publishing of Watchmen to the first publishing of the (Adjectiveless) X-Men title and the following franchisization.

(Dark Age, the comic book market crash)
1991-2000: The first publishing of the (Adjectiveless) X-Men title to Marvel Comics coming out of bankruptcy.

(Modern/Millenium Age)
2000-Present: Marvel Comics coming out of bankruptcy to -----

that looks about right to me :o

So what type of age do you think we are in now starting at 2000 - ????

The Iron Age anyone

Here's a list of events:

2000: Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan:The Smartest Kid on Earth, is published by Fantagraphics book, as a single graphic novel. The story was previously serialized in the Acme Novelty Library magazine, but it gained a great deal of attention when it was published in 2000 in a single edition. It received some mainstream media exposure, including an article on CNN's website.
2000: Marvel launches its Ultimate Marvel line, which would feature recreations of its most popular titles, due to the fear that the complex history behind their established books was turning off potential new readers.
2000: The long awaited X-Men film adaption is a big enough hit to revive the superhero film genre, which had been damaged reputation wise by 1997's massive flop, Batman and Robin.
2001: Marvel Comics hires writer Grant Morrison to reinvent the X-Men, resulting in New X-Men, or Grant Morrison's X-Men as some fans would call it.
2004: Dave Sim and Jeff Smith both end the runs of their respective books, Cerebus and Bone, both of which had become famous in the comics world and helped popularize self publishing.
2004: DC begins the Identity Crisis limited series.
April 1, 2005: Sin City is released in theaters. Co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller.
June 15, 2005: Batman Begins is released in theaters.
2005: DC begins the Infinite Crisis limited series, a sequel to the Crisis on Infinite Earths of two decades earlier. Marvel releases its own crossover event limited series, House of M.
2006: DC follows up Infinite Crisis with One Year Later, where all storylines jump ahead one year and 52, a weekly comic lasting 52 issues which will chronicle that missing year.

---

THigns are missing though Such as Avengers Disassmebled adn Civil War in Marvel Comics.

don't forget that comics are gradually returning to the mainstream audience.

Thanks to the comic book movies, and upcoming animated series and block buster stories every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"