Article: Sorry Ryan Reynolds, Chris Pratt Is Having Your Career

They're very different actors. Ryan's hurting a bit because of some bad choices, but he's often chosen for romantic roles, that Chris hasn't really broken into yet. The best analogy I can think of is if we go back to 1995, Ryan is like Keanu Reeves and Chris is Bruce Willis.

Shia has talent. He was never "leading man" material like Hollywood tried to tell us, but he has talent, imo. Like Sawyer said, it's really his terrible real-life persona that kills his appeal.

I've just personally never found Reynolds particularly likable in anything, and he kept taking roles that were meant to be driven by charisma. Whenever he does "charming," it comes across as "smarmy" to me, so I never got the appeal to begin with.

That was more so my main point. Spielberg's judgment in terms of making mainstream, blockbuster films is not what it used to be. The fact that he thought Shia could be the leading man in big action films was really out there. To me, it is evidence that he doesn't really know how to make those sort of movies anymore.

Spielberg hasn't lost it. Lincoln was one of his best films.

I don't think Lincoln was one of his best films, but as clarified above that is besides the point. I think he has lost "it" when it comes to big blockbuster films like he used to make in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. He doesn't have the same sensibilities for those type of movies. Thinking Shia could be a leading man, action star is absurd. Talent aside, the guy is a manlet, like most former child stars, and is far from convincing in that type of role.

You can't praise someone else in entertainment without tearing someone else down. That is Media and Internet Nerd 101.

If Deadpool is a decent hit, Reynolds will be back. The thing is, Pratt may just have better judgement picking roles and a couple of sure fire hit sequels too. Like to see him costar with Seth Rogen or Kevin Hart just for variety thogh.

The only reason Reynold's career is sucking right now (as far as big tentpole films go) is because fate/god/the universe/etc was making sure he was available when Fox finally commissioned Deadpool.

Had Green Lantern been a hit, he wouldn't have been able to play Deadpool.

If R.I.P.D. had been a hit, he wouldn't have been able to play Deadpool.

It's Ryan Reynolds's destiny to play Deadpool.

Last edited:
I've never been down on Ryan Reynolds himself. I like him a lot. RIPD and Green Lantern were steaming turds, but his more recent stuff like Woman in Gold really impressed me. He's gonna rock Deadpool as we all know. I don't see similarities in Pratt and Reynolds. Two completely dudes, completely different persona's.

I think Deadpool could make decent numbers and sort of bring back Reynolds' career. A lot of people are at least casual fans of the character and he's been trying to get this made forever.
Also, I too hope Pratt doesn't suffer a hipster backlash like say Jennifer Lawrence or Andy Serkis (all three being talented folks that I'm a fan of).

What backlash has Serkis had?!

The only Serkis criticism I've seen is that he is a one-trick pony (mo-cap), which is simply not the case.

What backlash has Serkis had?!

I've seen an upsurge of people who say that he's a glory-hog who doesn't give credit to the people who provide the animation for characters he's playing, that he only does mo-cap because he can't act outside of it like Boom said, and basically that he's just a glorified stunt double.

There's always something to b**** about, isn't there?

That was more so my main point. Spielberg's judgment in terms of making mainstream, blockbuster films is not what it used to be. The fact that he thought Shia could be the leading man in big action films was really out there. To me, it is evidence that he doesn't really know how to make those sort of movies anymore.

I don't think Lincoln was one of his best films, but as clarified above that is besides the point. I think he has lost "it" when it comes to big blockbuster films like he used to make in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. He doesn't have the same sensibilities for those type of movies. Thinking Shia could be a leading man, action star is absurd. Talent aside, the guy is a manlet, like most former child stars, and is far from convincing in that type of role.

Tom Cruise is also a "Manlet" and he does very well in action roles, Shia downfall was his behaviour and inability to play the Hollywood game. If he behaved he could have gone very far made a lot more money.

Green Lantern definitely took a dump on Ryan Reynolds' career. But can you blame him for accepting the role? The movie was to be the next big thing at Warner Bros., and Martin Campbell at the helm of a big sci-fi comic book movie was actually a very promising prospect. It's a pity that the movie was so mediocre, but none of that was really Reynolds' fault, as he did a very good job at portraying Hal Jordan with what he had.

And it doesn't help that his next movies were such as The Change-Up and R.I.P.D., which were incredibly mediocre / bad, and of course box office duds. In between there was Safe House, but that was really more of a Denzel Washington vehicle, even though he was the co-lead. And should we talk about The Croods and Turbo? Woman in Gold?

I think he did a great job in The Voices but that movie didn't really garner any interest. There's hope that his next movies, such as Selfless and Deadpool (with all the effort that went into making that one a reality I expect it to be great; and he's a producer on that one, as well) are actually good and can make bank. **** happens. But nothing's really lost. The right role and movie and Ryan Reynolds could be on top once again. He just needs to pick better projects and insist on trying to work with better filmmakers.

That being said, Chris Pratt seems to be a very likeable and down to Earth guy, and deserves the success.

I root for both of them.

Last edited:
Then again, Pratt probably wouldn't be where he is now if he didn't get super fit. Didn't he say himself that once he got in shape, he was offered all these leading roles?

I think both Ryan and Chris have charisma, but I think like Ryan's has always been a little more snarky as opposed to Pratt, who has a combination of "good 'ol boy" and sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"