AT&T Buys T-Mobile

Poeman

Avenger
Reaction score
AT&T just announced that they have bought T-Mobile for $39 billion. If the transaction gets approved by the government and closes in a year as planned, it will create the nation's largest wireless carrier by far.

Ahhh crap...I hope this does not finalize...I hope the government or anti-trust laws come in between this deal. This will be a disaster for the consumer...For example me. This also will allow this duo to have power over wireless pricing. I am pissed as a T-Mobile customer

AT&T Buys T-Mobile: Great For Them, Bad For You
ARTICLE DATE: 03.20.11
By Sascha Segan

AT&T just announced it will buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion. If the transaction gets approved by the government and closes in a year as planned, it will create the nation's largest wireless carrier by far.

While this is great news for both companies, it's an awful idea for consumers - and I desperately hope the US antitrust authorities rake this merger over the coals.

An AT&T/T-Mobile merger at least makes more sense than the silly T-Mobile/Sprint idea which was being bandied about. Both carriers use the same technologies: GSM, HSPA+ and LTE. While they're on different frequency bands, radios which use all of the relevant bands are becoming easier to build.

The merger neatly solves T-Mobile's long-term problem of not having enough spectrum for LTE, the 4G technology which will soon be a global standard. It gives T-Mobile's struggling parent, Deutsche Telekom, a gigantic cash infusion. And it lets AT&T once again position itself as the number-one carrier against Verizon Wireless, which leapfrogged AT&T technologically this year with Verizon's 4G LTE launch.

AT&T is ahead of T-Mobile on building LTE. T-Mobile is far ahead of AT&T on building HSPA+, a intermediate 4G technology that fits right between the carriers' existing 3G networks and LTE. Together, they could have a smooth and powerful nationwide network.

AT&T's press release for the merger backs this up. The combined carrier will be able to build out much more LTE Than AT&T could alone, by combining AT&T's 700 Mhz spectrum with T-Mobile's AWS spectrum.

For stockholders, this all sounds great. With reduced competition and the efficiencies of a combined network, the new company will probably be quite profitable.

For phone owners, tech lovers, and American consumers, this is a total disaster.

Rates Will Rise, Customer Service Will Drop

Let's start with a basic fact: less competition always results in higher prices than you would have had otherwise. T-Mobile has always been a value leader, offering low prices and some innovative plans, such as its Even More Plus plans which gave monthly discounts in exchange for paying the full up-front price for phones. These plans will go away and the combined carrier will normalize at AT&T's higher rates.

In AT&T's press release for the merger, the company doesn't bother to rebut this idea. Rather, the carrier says there's already plenty of competition and implies that prices are so low that Americans shouldn't be too concerned. AT&T also shows a disingenuous chart explaining that prices dropped when carriers merged over the past ten years. Of course, it doesn't show what would have happened to prices if those carriers hadn't merged.

This merger also means less phone choice for US consumers. Unlike in most other countries, the American phone market is dominated by the carriers; the carriers have to approve and sell most phones. The process of making it through approval labs, and the space on carrier store shelves, limit the number of phones each carrier can handle at once. I'm pretty sure that the number of phones carried by AT&T/T-Mobile will be less than the current number carried by the two carriers separately, because they will want to create efficiencies and unify their product lines.

This doesn't mean T-Mobile's phones will go away - I see the merged carrier cherry picking an iPhone here, a MyTouch 4G there. But it means that there will be fewer choices overall for American consumers, and fewer chances for new manufacturers or ideas to appear in the marketplace.

From a customer service perspective, make no mistake, AT&T will subsume T-Mobile. The merged carrier will not have T-Mobile's friendliness, nimbleness, or level of customer service. Just like in the horrifying Sprint-Nextel mess or during the long, slow, grinding AT&T/Cingular merger, the merged carrier will sink to the minimum customer service level of its parts.

I've sung this song before. I don't see how the biggest carriers getting bigger improves anything for consumers. We've seen many times around the world how duopolies or cozy tri-opolies can ****** innovation and drag up prices (hello, Canadians!) and the US government should do everything in its power to prevent the US wireless market from becoming wholly owned by AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

Short of killing this merger entirely, I'm not sure what the government could do to maintain competition here. AT&T and T-Mobile are the only major GSM carriers; everybody else is CDMA. That means if the government forced the merged carrier to divest some markets to be picked up by someone else, the buyer of the divested markets won't be able to integrate them easily into its existing network.

If this merger goes through, it only becomes more urgent for MetroPCS, Cricket and US Cellular to band together into a new, single low-cost force in the wireless market. Together, the three carriers would have around 20-21 million users. They all use the same CDMA technology, and their spectrum holdings largely don't overlap. A new nationwide value leader could help reduce the negative effects of this merger for US consumers.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382267,00.asp

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/03/20/att-buys-t-mobile-heres-why/

This is huge news, if this all goes through then expect Sprint to get bought out by Verizon in 1-2 years for sure. Now on the side for current T-Mobile customers, wow who knows, are they now expected to pay what at&t charges? That'd be ridiculous.

On the bright side, this means tmobile customers will have the iphone 5 later on this year right?

yeah probably on the iphone...But they better not charge me At&t prices...I am in a 2 year Tmobile contract right now, infact my whole family has it...There would be backlash if that happens

Yeah i dont think you'd end up having to pay what at&t charges, i know some friends of mine that recently signed up for a new tmobile contract as well, im thinking people who have signed up with tmobile recently get to keep that price until the contract runs up. If i were on tmobile and they started charging me the at&t prices then i'd be upset, because if you join tmobile 80% of the time its because of the great plans and pricing, cheapest out of all 4 major carriers

Does this mean they've taken over Orange too..? Because T-Mobile and Orange have merged...

D=

I just recently signed a Brand New 2 Year Contact :cmad:

I'm so pissed

I wish Sprint would have went through with purchase

AT&T: Well, maaaaaaaaaybe, if T-Moblie didn't take shots at us with their tv ads....

I don't know about tmobile contracts, but sprint contracts become month to month after 2 year expiration dates with same data and minutes. So if you have unlimited data plan and want to keep it, you'll prob. have to buy the phone outright without the upgrade/renew discount.

I hate at&t, I love my iphone though but me and my fiance pay $153 a month for service. it is just so damn high and I can see the $30 data plan I was grandfathered into for life but our actual phone plans are $60 each. for what? we dont call people that much? cell phones in general are over priced and Im pretty sure those text messages dont cost them alot of money. same with cable tv, everything is just over priced today, like how come verizon is charging me to rent my fios tv boxes? cell phone and cable tv companies have too many shady fees.

I hope to god though at&t doenst try to up there rates over this.

I hope the anti-trust laws break this up. We should have more options as consumers, not less.

I doubt it gets broken up...NBC Universal being taken over by Comcast didn't, so why would this?

I have T-Mobile but I don't know if I should be worried since I only use my cellphone for calls and texting.

analysts were predicting a Sprint purchase of TMobile to go the gov. through without incident so this will probably be the same

Good-Bye Carly Foulkes hot T-Mobile Phone Girl.:(

I've been an AT&T customer since 2003. (Back when they were Cingular.)

I can't believe the SEC would allow this merging to happen, but then again I'm sure they got alot of money from the lobbists. :o

Sad day in the mobile phone world with this buyout, a lot of people I know (including my sister who is a T-Mobile user) were pissed! lol

so...whats so evil about this deal?

It's bad when you are a customer who tried to get away from bad AT&T services by signing with T-Mobile, and now you've discovered that your carrier has become AT&T, anyway. And this deal means even less option for all of us. Personally, I wish all the carriers have every cellphone available, so they can try to compete for the customers by using the quality of their service, and not their exclusive cellphones.

This is huge news, if this all goes through then expect Sprint to get bought out by Verizon in 1-2 years for sure.
hahahaha thats like saying Jack n Box is buying Mcdonalds??!!!:oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"