Australia Ends Ban On Cloning

samurai black

Mighty Dark Avenger
Reaction score
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/australia-ends-ban-on-human-cloning/20061206040909990003?ncid=NWS00010000000001
Australia Ends Ban on Human Cloning

CANBERRA, Australia (Dec. 6) - Australia legalized the cloning of human embryos for stem cell research with a vote by the House of Representatives Wednesday that lifted a four-year-old ban on the procedure.

The legislation passed 82-62 in the House, where Conservative Prime Minister John Howard and other major party leaders voted against it. The bill was passed by the Senate last month.
"In the end you have to take a stand for some absolutes in our society," Howard told Parliament. "And I think what we're talking about here is a moral absolute and that is why I can't support the legislation."
The parliament passed Australia's first laws on stem cell research in 2002, allowing scientists to extract stem cells from spare embryos intended for in-vitro fertilization but preventing cell cloning.
The law passed Wednesday allows therapeutic cloning, the splicing of skin cells with eggs to produce stem cells, also known as master cells, which are capable of forming all the tissues of the human body.
Scientists hope stem cell research will eventually lead to treatments for conditions including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, as well as spinal cord injuries, diabetes and arthritis.
Opponents said the bill promoted unproven science that did not respect the human rights of the unborn.
But Defense Minister Brendan Nelson said his generation had benefited enormously from those who pioneered difficult research and legislation.
"We owe it to the next generation no less to show the same wisdom and indeed the same courage," he said.
All parties encouraged their lawmakers to vote according to their consciences rather than following party lines. A conscience vote is rare in Australian politics.
The government senator who drafted the bill, former Health Minister Kay Patterson, said the law would come into effect in six months, after health and science authorities draft guidelines for egg donation and research licensing.
"It will enable Australia to stay at the forefront of medical research," Patterson told reporters after the vote. "I didn't see how we could accept any treatment derived from this in the future if we didn't allow the research here in Australia."

Wow. Looks like my great grandchildren will have to suffer from bad Russell Crowe movies as well.

You know, I was just about to make a thread on this. I guess I'll be going to Melbourne the next time I need a spare set of kidneys.

For a minute I thought it said "Australia Ends Ban On Clothing".

Curse me and my not having my coffee yet. >.<

Yay!

*immediately takes off his daks and runs around nude*

They only did this so they could get to work on cloning Steve Irwin.

Mee said:
They only did this so they could get to work on cloning Steve Irwin.
They should make like 5 of him and give them a TV show. The Crocodile Hunters.

twylight said:
For a minute I thought it said "Australia Ends Ban On Clothing".

Curse me and my not having my coffee yet. >.<
LoL

Halcohol said:

I think you're on to something there. Hell but then crocs wouldn't be enough, they'd probably try and dogpile great whites.

Halcohol said:
They'd be like the Justice League of animal protection.

Mee said:
They'd be like the Justice League of animal protection.
Of course, we'd have to give them a Headquarters. You're no kind of League if you don't have a Headquarters.

The Hall of Beer. You must wear a singlet and tracky daks, bring an offering of a slab of VB and a carton of Winnie blues.

They are just lifting it so they can bring back Steve Irwin:oldrazz:

Maximum_Carnage said:
They are just lifting it so they can bring back Steve Irwin:oldrazz:

Mee beat you. :oldrazz:

Son Of A B**ch!!! I Didn't even read the posts.LOL!

movie_bg.jpg

It has begun.

Wow, looks like Y: The Last Man is becoming true. Damns aussies. All they make is koalas, kangaroos and hot blonde foreign exchange students with her cute accent. damn them to hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"