Avengers: Fairy Tales

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
Preview at Newsarama

I'm pretty excited for this. I passed on all the other Fairy Tales series because it just seemed lame to force concepts like the X-Men into homages of fairy tales, but the Avengers actually lend themselves to it pretty well. I love the Vision/Pinocchio idea, and I like the play on The Wizard of Oz with the Rainbow Bridge instead of the Yellow Brick Road. Thor looks a bit girly, but I can deal with that. I'm looking forward to it. :up:

I don't understand how Steve is the "perfect" fit for Peter Pan, but whatever. The art is fun and colorful and Cebulski doesn't disappoint. I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

Avengers: Victorian Children's Fiction, really, given the source material; each looks pretty clever, though. I really like the designs from the Peter Pan story.

Cool to see the Young Avengers included too (and Tigra as the Cat; the Queen of Hearts will probably have her beaten up and killed).

The FAIRY TALES franchise, I have to admit, seems like a waste of time to me. I fail to see what point these stories have other than to drain on some franchises, and they always sink to the bottom of the Top 100 like a stone attached to a weight. It gets hard to justify consistantly spitting out these mini's that sell more copies below the Top 100 than over, yet balk on stuff like THE LONERS II or something. :p

I don't understand how Steve is the "perfect" fit for Peter Pan, but whatever. The art is fun and colorful and Cebulski doesn't disappoint. I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

The guy who never grew up?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

No, that's Spider-Man.
The FAIRY TALES franchise, I have to admit, seems like a waste of time to me. I fail to see what point these stories have other than to drain on some franchises, and they always sink to the bottom of the Top 100 like a stone attached to a weight. It gets hard to justify consistantly spitting out these mini's that sell more copies below the Top 100 than over, yet balk on stuff like THE LONERS II or something. :p
It's called "fun," Dread. These kinds of series that take existing characters and place them in new contexts are fun. Same reason I read the Franklin Richards comics and I'll be reading Tiny Titans at DC when it comes out, in fact. The stories all count for exactly jack and squat in continuity (which is actually good in their case), but they're cute little all-ages tales that usually tend to be funny at worst and really interesting at best.

I'll read it I guess. I read X-men fairy tales which I liked. I didn't much care for Spider-man fairy tales. ISSUE 2 of this series is MINE! That is awesome!

What...the hell? The only thing that makes sense about this to me is the Vision as Pinocchio story.
The guy who never grew up?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
That doesn't fit at all. Steve Rogers grew up. He's an adult. He's just time-displaced. It's really not the same thing as being or wanting to be a youth forever.

Did you just express agreement with yourself? Awesome. :up:

No, that's Spider-Man.

It's called "fun," Dread. These kinds of series that take existing characters and place them in new contexts are fun. Same reason I read the Franklin Richards comics and I'll be reading Tiny Titans at DC when it comes out, in fact. The stories all count for exactly jack and squat in continuity (which is actually good in their case), but they're cute little all-ages tales that usually tend to be funny at worst and really interesting at best.

No, I understand "fun". What other point is there to X-MEN: FIRST CLASS? It tries to straddle the line of "stories rooted in past continuity", but Jeff Parker also does his own thing and washes over some stuff. FRANKLIN RICHARDS is essentially like Calvin & Hobbs meets FF, so that works.

I simply don't see a need for a Fairy Tales franchise. I have no desire to pay $3 to watch Vision, Ultron, and Scarlet Witch play act Little Red Riding Hood or something. And considering how poorly all these mini's sell, I am hardly alone. The concept seems more pretentious than some of the other aforementioned series. I just don't see the need for it to exist. Who gives a **** about seeing Spider-Man and Green Goblin play-act PETER PAN or something? It just keeps Cebulski off better books.

I just don't see the distinction you're drawing between Franklin Richards placing Franklin in a Calvin & Hobbes scenario and the Fairy Tales stuff placing heroes in Fairy Tales scenarios. What makes this so much more unworthy of your money than the Franklin Richards comics? Both are just pure fun and a chance to see familiar characters in new and surprising contexts to me. But to each his own.

I just don't see the distinction you're drawing between Franklin Richards placing Franklin in a Calvin & Hobbes scenario and the Fairy Tales stuff placing heroes in Fairy Tales scenarios. What makes this so much more unworthy of your money than the Franklin Richards comics? Both are just pure fun and a chance to see familiar characters in new and surprising contexts to me. But to each his own.

Well, to be honest, that was merely the impression of FRANKLIN RICHARDS I got from the freebie stuff, since I never liked it enough to actually pay for. I do read XM:FC and consider it a guilty pleasure. Guilty because in the grand scheme of X-Lore, it is almost worthless, but it is so much fun that I don't care, and the X-Men haven't been fun, or even slightly above dour, for years now.

The Fairy Tales stuff I never got around, and it always seems pointless. The next time people bemoan why Cebulski isn't on some books he'd be great on, well, it is because he is busy writing this. And when Marvel keeps commissioning these bottom-selling mini's yet will inevitabely cancel THE ORDER by issue #12 (I have zero faith in the mainstream fans stablizing the sales before issue #10), that really makes me want to pull out my hair.

Well, that's just silly because, thinking like that, you must already be bald. Seriously, great comics get shafted and ****ty comics stick around, just like great TV shows get canceled and ****ty reality TV will always be there, and likewise with movies and every other form of entertainment. Appeal to the lowest common denominator and you'll succeed; do something genuinely fresh or interesting or well-crafted and you've got a 50/50 shot at best. But Cebulski's ideas for Avengers: Fairy Tales seem fun, so I don't mind it as much as I would if he were, say, writing Wolverine's comic. I'm just taking it as a fun Elseworlds or What If and I'll hopefully enjoy it at that.

Well, that's just silly because, thinking like that, you must already be bald. Seriously, great comics get shafted and ****ty comics stick around, just like great TV shows get canceled and ****ty reality TV will always be there, and likewise with movies and every other form of entertainment. Appeal to the lowest common denominator and you'll succeed; do something genuinely fresh or interesting or well-crafted and you've got a 50/50 shot at best.

I'm not bald, but I know all this. Why the hell do you think I get so paranoid, neurotic, cynical, and downright bitter and pessimistic about the comic biz pretty often? :p

Watch; there will never been a sequel to THE LONERS, yet these mini's will keep getting chugged out, and they keep selling like 14k if they are lucky, and I want to scream. Where does it end? Fantastic Four Fairy Tales? Oh, Hulk. I SO want to see the Hulk play out Humpty Dumpty. :p

You joke, but I'd be a lot more interested in that than a regular Hulk comic. :)

I know, it so works. Cap as Peter Pan? Not so much. But Vision as Pinocchio = superawesomeness.

This looks fantastic. Definitely adding it.

Rip Van Winkle seems like a much better fit for Steve Rogers. I don't know what they were smoking.

Anyway, I liked Spidey's and the X-Men's Fairy Tales minis, so I'll likely be picking this up.

--ADD/EDIT--
Wait a minute. Why is Tony Stark in the role of Geppetto? Shouldn't that be Hank Pym?

Maybe it ties into something else for Tony.

And no, it shouldn't be Hank anyway. It should be Ultron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"