Batman and Philosophy

Watson

Ninja delivery girl
Reaction score
206802980.jpg

Book Description
The deeper issues surrounding one of the nation's most revered superheroes, unmasked at last

Batman has grown from a comic book character into a franchise and merchandise goliath, spinning off live-action and animated TV shows, Hollywood blockbusters, video games, action figures, and an endless array of merchandising. Timed to publish with the release of the new Batman movie in 2008, Batman and Philosophy takes a deeper look at the famous caped crusader, offering entertaining answers to the fascinating ethical questions everyone has always had about the man behind the mask.

Mark D. White (Staten Island, NY) is Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Economics, and Philosophy, College of Staten Island/CUNY. Robert Arp (Buffalo, NY) currently is a Postdoctoral Research Associate through the National Center for Biomedical Ontology at the University at Buffalo and the editor of South Park and Philosophy (978-1-4051-6160-2).

From the Back Cover
Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker and end everyone's misery?
Can we hold the Joker morally responsible for his actions?
Is Batman better than Superman?
If everyone followed Batman's example,
would Gotham be a better place?
What is the Tao of the Bat?

Batman is one of the most complex characters ever to appear in comic books, graphic novels, and on the big screen. What philosophical trials does this superhero confront in order to keep Gotham safe? Combing through seventy years of comic books, television shows, and movies, Batman and Philosophy explores how the Dark Knight grapples with ethical conundrums, moral responsibility, his identity crisis, the moral weight he carries to avenge his murdered parents, and much more. How does this caped crusader measure up against the teachings of Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Kierkegaard, and Lao Tzu?

Being released May 28th in Canada, June 12th in the States.

Can't say I'm not interested. I like books out of the traditional realm of comics that address the medium. I read a little philosophy, every now and then, and I read plenty of Batman. I'll be on the lookout for this.

Thanks, dude. I'll have to pick that up. Not only will I get a deeper understanding of my fave hero, but I'll look smart b/c the book says "Philosophy" on the cover. Word.

Interesting, when I see it, I definitively have to buy it.

Nice, I would imagine he would fit right in with Camus' absurdist existentialism (building off of the works of Nietzche and Kierkegaard, of course)... his quest is not a finite one, and is thusly an uphill-both-ways kind of struggle; interesting. Lao Tzu's eastern Taoist philosophy is obviously prevelant in Batman, of course. I'd imagine that Bruce's line in Begins is the 'tl;dr' version of this philosophy

Ras: Your compassion is a virtue your enemies will not share.
Bruce: That's why it's so important.

Can't wait to see what this author says. I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

Interesting. I'll look out for it.

I've often thought The Batman story had strong Neitzschean themes running throught it.

The will to overcome a tragedy and use it to ultimately give purpose to your world.

The need for imposed solitude to avoid sinking in the heard mentality.

I think the Nolan brothers must understand this too, seeing as theyv'e adapted one of Neitzsche's most famous Maxims for use by the Joker in The Dark Kight

"I believe what doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"