Batman: Double Dealing #1

Lorendiac

Civilian
Reaction score
HUGE SPOILER WARNING: This is intended as the first installment of an Unabashedly Unofficial Sequel to the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale graphic novels "Batman: The Long Halloween" and "Batman: Dark Victory." So here's some friendly advice: Don't read this script unless you either have already read both of those graphic novels, or else you've long since decided that you don't mind if their major plot twists get thoroughly Spoiled for you. But whatever you do, don't keep reading this script if you're unfamiliar with those previous stories and then come crying to me about how I ruined two of Jeph Loeb's tales of mystery and suspense for you! You'll get no sympathy from me after this warning I just gave you!

One other note: This tale's opening scene occurs approximately one decade after the final scenes of "Dark Victory." In other words, it's set roughly at the time of "modern continuity" (although probably in its own little alternate timeline, as some people have reported TLH and DV were!). Dick Grayson has long since grown up, left home, and started calling himself Nightwing. Jason Todd has presumably become Robin, died, and later come back from the dead (although I don't intend to touch upon the subject of Jason Todd at all in this story). Tim Drake has been Robin, on and off, for quite some time now.

As with the first issues of "The Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory," "Double Dealing #1" is written to have 48 pages of story in order to start things off with a bang. What I'm posting here is the first 24 pages' worth. At some later time I intend to post the second half of "Double Dealing #1" in this same thread.

BATMAN: DOUBLE DEALING #1

PAGE ONE (one panel)

Panel 1.
Splash page. Establishing shot of FRED BILINSKY (hereafter just FRED), the researcher who's been hired to write a book about the notorious "Holiday" and "Hang Man" killing sprees of many years ago. Fred is standing tall and facing us directly; we're seeing him, in effect, through the eyes of the lady he is speaking to. Fred is a male Caucasian, average height, average build, sandy hair in a crew cut, wears glasses. Youthful, about 28 years old, clean-shaven, Slavic features (his ancestry is predominantly Ukrainian, although that may never be mentioned in dialogue; it isn't terribly important to our plot). For the purposes of interviewing people, he is wearing a suit and tie to suggest he takes the subject matter seriously. But he doesn't look incredibly stylish or anything like that -- he doesn't really like wearing suits and ties; he just regards it as a painful necessity sometimes.

FRED:
Will you tell me about it?

PAGE TWO (five panels)

Panel 1.
Long shot. Fred is standing in the middle of a large office, facing the desk at one end of the room. Sitting behind the desk is JULIA LOPEZ (hereafter just JULIA). Ten years ago she was a Hispanic police detective who was part of the top-secret team that reported directly to Commissioner Gordon during the investigation of the Hang Man murders. (Check "Dark Victory" to see what she looks like before you try to draw her.) She's older now; about forty, but well-preserved. Her large office is not part of a police headquarters; she's moved on to other things. One side of her office is mostly window; stenciled on the outside of it (so that it looks backwards from our perspective) is the name:

SLEEP-TITE
SECURITY CO.

JULIA:
I don't know what else I can tell you, Mister Bilinsky. The Hang Man killings are ancient history. Whatever I saw and heard, I wrote down in official reports at the time. You can probably get a look at those.

Panel 2.
Fred is looking calm and polite at this largely useless and redundant suggestion that doesn't really tell him anything new.

FRED:
Thanks, I already have copies.

JULIA:
Then you certainly know that Sofia Falcone Gigante was the Hang Man, although she died -- killed by Harvey Dent -- before we ever had to prove it to a jury of her peers.

Panel 3.
Julia still seated, Fred still standing a respectful distance away, as they speak.

FRED:
Yes, I know that. And I know that forensic evidence suggested she even killed her own brother, Alberto Falcone, as well as hanging an awful lot of cops and ex-cops, before she was stopped.

JULIA:
Then you know practically everything I know about the Hang Man. I never had a heart-to-heart conversation with her, so I can't offer any brilliant insight into what was going on inside her head.

Panel 4.
Close-up on Julia, looking wary, as Fred speaks from off-panel.

FRED (OP):
But you did have such conversations with Detective Wilcox?

JULIA:
Laureen Wilcox?

FRED (OP):
Yes. Your partner. One of the Hang Man's victims -- along with three other members of your team.

Panel 5.
Close-up on Julia, looking a tad impatient, exasperated, that sort of thing.

JULIA:
Of course I shared confidences with my partner. But even if I were both willing and able to repeat every word we ever spoke to each other -- and I'm not --

JULIA:
-- I doubt it would add much to your proposed book about the Holiday and Hang Man killings.

FRED:
Well, that's the thing. One source told me she received large cash payments from Sofia Gigante -- spread out over a couple of years before she died.

PAGE THREE (five panels)

Panel 1.
Julia is giving Fred a baleful look without responding immediately to what he just said.

Panel 2.
This time we're focused on Fred, looking bland as he reacts to what Julia is saying from off-panel.

JULIA (OP):
That's an interesting allegation. Did your source offer any "proof" -- or just idle gossip?

FRED:
I don't think I should go into that right now. I just wondered if you'd care to confirm or deny any of it? To set the record straight?

Panel 3.
Julia and Fred are now staring at each other with just a couple of feet of space between their faces; he has moved up to look at her directly across her desk, and she has risen to her feet to have her eyes at about the same level as his. I figure we're seeing both of them in profile.

JULIA:
For the record? I NEVER saw Wilcox do anything criminal -- and she died in the line of duty. Beyond that, I'm not interested in reacting to anonymous smear tactics. I think this interview is over, Mr. Bilinsky.

FRED:
If you say so, Ms. Lopez. Thanks for your time!

Panel 4.
JULIA, still standing, is staring at the closed door now that Fred has vacated her office.

Panel 5.
Julia is settling back into her chair and reaching for the telephone on her desk.

PAGE FOUR (five panels)

Panel 1.
Julia's got her desk phone's receiver up to her ear. When we weren't looking, she has already dialed the number she wants. Throughout this page, we only see and hear her end of the conversation.

JULIA:
Yes, this is Julia Lopez. Is Sherry Wilcox available?

JULIA:
Sure, I can hold.

Panel 2.
Julia still has the phone to her ear.

JULIA:
Sherry? Julia Lopez. I need to talk to you about something delicate. Face to face. When can we get together?

Panel 3.
Still focused on Julia, on the phone.

JULIA:
Let me put it this way. If a man named Fred Bilinsky comes around asking nosy questions about your sister, tell him "no comment" -- at least until we've talked it over.

Panel 4.
Close-up on Julia's right hand, which is holding a ballpoint pen. The hand is writing something on the "Tuesday" page of an appointment book.

JULIA:
Sure, we can meet at the Taco Whiz near campus, noon tomorrow. Take care!

Panel 5.
We pull back to a long shot, similar to what we got on Page Two, Panel 1, except that Fred's nowhere around. The entire room is darker than it was a few minutes ago (perhaps we're near sunset, if we need a rationalization). No electric lights have been turned on yet. We see the shadowy form of Julia setting the receiver back down where it belongs as she broods over what she'll say to Sherry tomorrow.

SFX (telephone):
KLICK

PAGE FIVE (five panels)

Panel 1.
New scene begins. Fred is now sitting across a table from Julian September, the Calendar Man.

FRED: Will you tell me about it?

Panel 2.
Focus on the Calendar Man. We can't see Fred in this panel; he isn't saying anything anyway, and we need the space for the Calendar Man's remarks.

CALENDAR MAN:
It seemed a good idea at the time. Alfredo Falcone was Holiday. His killing spree, coinciding with various noteworthy dates on the calendar, eclipsed my own more artistic -- and nonlethal -- efforts.

CALENDAR MAN:
So I let myself be persuaded to join forces with Dent, Crane, and others I met in Arkham, to try to drive him into madness -- suicidal madness, by preference -- while Dent was masterminding the effort to bring down the staggering carcass of the once-great "Roman Empire."

Panel 3.
Fred is facing Calendar Man across a desk.

FRED:
"Seemed a good idea." But your piece of the group effort didn't work out so well, did it?

CALENDAR MAN:
Are you referring to Alfredo's breaking my jaw when I confronted him directly?

FRED:
Among other things.

CALENDAR MAN:
Well, you're right. He caught on to our little game and bludgeoned me within an inch of my life even as I shot him in the thorax.

Panel 4.
We still see both of them, seated, eyes at a level, talking.

FRED:
And how do you feel about that? Would you do it all over again if you had the chance?

CALENDAR MAN:
No. I was spitefully foolish. I didn't even mean to shoot him, but I thought my gun would keep him at bay.

Panel 5.

CALENDAR MAN:
If I could do it over, I'd just forget about him and design a more elegant campaign of calendar-related crimes that would leave him as just another dusty example of YESTERDAY'S news.

FRED:
Er, right. Well, Mister Day, let me thank you again for taking the time to answer some questions.

PAGE SIX (one panel)

Panel 1. Splash Page. We now get a good look at the walls behind The Calendar Man and off to his right. They are COVERED with . . . calendars. On his desk is a big book. The front cover and the spine both have the title, but I'll leave it to you the artist to decide which one is clearly readable in this shot. The book is titled: "Birthdays of the Rich and Famous."

CALENDAR MAN:
No trouble at all, Mister Bilinsky! I'm well ahead of schedule in researching the birthdays of notable cartoonists for a special calendar, and I already wrapped up the one about the birthdays and inaugurations of all the Popes. It was good to take a break and talk about old times!

PAGE SEVEN (four panels)

Panel 1.
New scene begins. Remember: Implicitly, Fred's various interviews have all been going for awhile before we ever enter in the middle of things and hear him following up on one point or another by asking "Will you tell me about it?" We aren't getting the entire texts of any of his interviews; just cross-sections of them. In this one, we see that Fred is speaking to someone who is only a shadowy silhouette -- female, old-fashioned conservative hairstyle -- in this panel (that will change in the next one).

FRED:
Will you tell me about it?

Panel 2.
Close-up on GILDA DENT (hereafter just GILDA), as seen from Fred's own perspective. She is staring at him, looking very wide-eyed and innocent. She must be getting into her late thirties by now, but she still has something of the ingenue about her -- very delicate-looking, as if she ought to be played in a movie or stage production by an actress capable of passing herself off as a "Sweet Young Thing."

GILDA:
What can I add, Mr. Bilinsky? For the past twelve years, what I've seen of my husband has principally been newspaper stories. The last time I went to see him, he ordered me not to take a seat in the courtroom -- said it would be all wrong. I've honored his wishes since then. Sometimes I send him letters at Arkham . . . even when he's not IN Arkham. They hold mail for him until he returns to his cell.

Panel 3.
Gilda's looking downward, sadly. Fred's looking at her, but the way her head is lowered, they obviously aren't making eye contact right now. Around now we may get a better look at the setting -- they are in what appears to be a hotel room with a single big beds, but they are both seated on wooden chairs. Gilda is by a chest of drawers; Fred is several feet away, closer to the door.

GILDA:
If you've already been researching it, then You probably know just as much about this Two-Face . . . aberration . . . as I do.

GILDA:
Everything's been tried. Plastic surgery. Psychotherapy. Mood-altering drugs. Taking away his silver dollars to force him to make decisions on some other basis. Sometimes he improves for awhile, but eventually . . . Two-Face again.

Panel 4.
Gilda's looking at him again.

FRED:
And you still love him?

GILDA:
I'm still his WIFE -- I could have gotten a divorce years ago, if I wanted one. I never bothered. What does that tell you?

FRED:
I see.

PAGE EIGHT (four panels)

Panel 1.
Focus on Fred as he changes the subject.

FRED:
By the way, Mrs. Dent -- I understand your friends were worried about you when you vanished from Gotham after your husband's first arrest.

GILDA:
They needn't have been. I didn't want to leave a trail for the paparazzi. I found a quiet place to live. I prefer not to divulge the details.

Panel 2.
They're looking each other straight in the eye again.

FRED:
But now you're back. Can you give me some idea of how long you will be in Gotham?

GILDA:
I want to see Harvey again. Speak to him. When I know where he is. How long do you think it will take the authorities to catch him, this time?

FRED:
I have no idea.

GILDA:
Then that answers your question. Neither have I!

Panel 3.
Fred is rising to his feet. He is picking up a portable tape recorder we didn't see before from a nearby small lamp table.

FRED:
You've been very gracious, Mrs. Dent. Especially considering that I'm a total stranger who wants to retell the story of the events surrounding your husband's . . . injuries and subsequent changes.

Panel 4.

Focus on Gilda again. I think Fred is off-panel, but I'm prepared to be flexible about that.

GILDA:
So? I strongly doubt you could write anything embarrassing about Harvey that hasn't already seen print a thousand times before. I just hope you remember to include one or two of the NICE things I described about the life we used to have.

FRED (OP, probably): Count on it. They'll be in the manuscript I submit.

PAGE NINE (five panels)

Panel 1.
The Batcave. Bruce is in his Batman costume, minus the cowl and cape. He is pumping iron to stay in shape. Alfred Pennyworth is standing some distance off. He is, as usual, wearing a tuxedo.

ALFRED:
-- and we've gotten a most satisfactory number of acceptances to the invitations you sent out for your Halloween costume ball.

BRUCE:
Don't you mean the invitations YOU sent out, Alfred?

Panel 2.
Close-up on Alfred.

ALFRED:
Only with your permission, sir. You had sprained your wrist battling that Killer Croc ruffian, so I had to use the Autopen to affix your own signature to each and every one of those invitations.

Panel 3.
Bruce is still pumping iron and sweating.

BRUCE:
Is Jim Gordon coming?

ALFRED:
Yes, sir. In fact, the Commissioner called before you arose. I told him you were out. He asked me to inform you that a young gentleman, Fred Bilinsky by name, has been running about the city interviewing people about the once-notorious "Holiday" and "Hang Man" serial killings. Apparently Mr. Bilinsky is writing a book.

BRUCE (playing straight man):
A book? Interesting, but why tell me in particular?

Panel 4.
Bruce has finally done enough lifting for the moment and lets the handle of the barbell click into place in the notches at the top of the weight-lifting bench he's lying on, which will hold it snugly in place until he wants to lift it again. (Excuse me if I'm getting the terminology wrong -- I'm no weightlifter, I'm afraid.)

ALFRED:
Given that Mr. Dent once prosecuted you in connection with the financial activities of Mr. Carmine Falcone, the Commissioner feels Mr. Bilinsky is certain to come knocking on your door sooner or later, asking potentially awkward questions.

BRUCE:
Oh, THAT trial. It's a funny thing, Alfred -- that was the FIRST time I was ever a defendant in a criminal case, and yet I almost never even think about it any more.

SFX (from the part of the barbell falling into place on Bruce's right side): KLAK

SFX (from the part of the barbell falling into place on Bruce's left side): KLAK

Panel 5.
Bruce has left the weights and is standing up. Alfred is handing him a glass of water.

ALFRED:
Well, sir, you've been called into court on more serious charges than that, since then. Murder and treason and suchlike.

PAGE TEN (five panels)

Panel 1.

Having given his upper body a workout, Bruce is now on an exercise bike to make his leg muscles start earning their keep too. He'll stay on that stationary bike throughout the remainder of this page.

BRUCE:
Yes, but fortunately I've never been charged with any felonies of which I was actually guilty. The first trial came closest to being justified -- except that Poison Ivy's influence meant I wasn't even remotely in my right mind at the time.

Panel 2.
Focus on Alfred.

ALFRED:
As you say, sir. By the way: Master Dick sent his regrets; he'll be on the West Coast on Halloween.

BRUCE: And where will Tim be?

Panel 3.

ALFRED:
Master Tim took your advice and arranged to attend a party full of his fellow teenagers.

BRUCE:
Yes, I insisted he not even worry about facing the society crowd I have to invite.

Panel 4.
Close-up on Bruce's face. He's still sweating quite a bit as he pedals furiously. (Not that we can see him pedaling in this panel, but the thought is there!)

BRUCE:
Say, that gives me an idea, Alfred. Find out where this Bilinsky fellow is and send him an invitation to the party. Let him mingle with the movers and shakers and try to make appointments with the ones who might have something to add to his book.

Panel 5.
We can see Alfred and Bruce both, again.

BRUCE:
I may even find time to give him a five-minute interview before the party's over.

ALFRED:
Very good, sir. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

PAGE ELEVEN (six panels)

Panel 1.
Close-up on Two-Face's face as someone else addresses him from off-panel.

VOICE (OP):
All I ask is a fair chance to prove myself, sir.

Panel 2.
We see more of Two-Face in this shot than just his head. He's wearing his usual suit, split down the middle. The unseen speaker is still making his sales pitch.

VOICE (OP):
I know you never heard of me before.

Panel 3.
Two-Face is glancing over at what appears to be the silhoutte of a man wearing a trenchcoat and hat; the hat may be a fedora. This is as much as we will see of the guy applying for work in this scene.

VOICE (OP):
But then, how much have you really gained from working with other veterans in this racket? I can hardly do any WORSE by you than the clown or the human popsicle, can I?

Panel 4.
Two-Face, inevitably, flips his trusty coin to make the decision. As it spins through the air, he's speaking.

TWO-FACE:
It's true I have a couple of irons in the fire . . .

Panel 5.
Two-Face is looking down at his palm. The coin landed scarred-side-up. (Since the applicant wishes to participate in a felonious endeavor, this is a "yes.")

TWO-FACE:
And I think I can use you on one of them, kid. You can have TWO weeks to prepare for a caper on Halloween. Pick up the green folder and see what's cooking. Come back day after tomorrow and tell me how you'd fit in. Now scram.

VOICE:
You won't regret this, sir.

Panel 6.
We see the silhoutte in the foreground; the guy is heading out the door of this office. Behind him, we can see Two-Face in the background as he speaks.

TWO-FACE:
Time will tell. You'll be working with a partner, of course. After all --

TWO FACE:
-- Two heads are better than one!

PAGE TWELVE (four panels)

Panel 1.
New scene begins. We are looking in through the front windshield of Julia Lopez's car. She is sitting behind the wheel. Over in the front passenger seat is her friend, SHERRY WILCOX (hereafter just SHERRY), the much younger sister of Julia's deceased partner, Laureen Wilcox. Our first look at Sherry. Like her elder sister, she's a creamy-skinned redhead, although I don't want her face drawn as a carbon copy of the Laureen Wilcox who lived and died in "Dark Victory." Also, her red hair is pretty long; it comes down past her shoulders. Sherry is a college student. About 22 years old. Dressed casually -- jeans or slacks, and probably a sweater or sweatshirt.

They are eating tacos and burritos from the Taco Whiz restaurant.

SHERRY:
So, Julia, what's the big deal? Not that I mind meeting you for a friendly meal, but why all the hush-hush? We couldn't even sit down inside, we had to go drive-through, because you don't want anyone to possibly overhear?

JULIA:
Sherry . . . after Laureen died, we came across some evidence . . . that she was on the take.

Panel 2.
Close-up on Sherry's face. She's wide-eyed and horrified, temporarily speechless. She's worshipped the memory of her big sister for a decade now.

Panel 3.
Now Sherry's staring at Julia as she repeats the key point.

SHERRY:
On the take?

JULIA: Collecting cash under the table from Sofia Falcone Gigante. We never knew EXACTLY what she did for that cash.

Panel 4.
Close-up on Julia as she struggles to explain the rest of it. Sherry's speaking too, but from off-panel.

JULIA: If she'd still been alive . . . she'd have been thoroughly investigated by Internal Affairs. Depending on what they produced and what she had to offer, she probably could have bargained to resign in lieu of standing trial.

SHERRY (OP): Wait a minute . . . just what makes you so sure she was . . . dirty?

PAGE THIRTEEN (five panels)

Panel 1.
Julia is looking grim.

JULIA:
Mario Falcone showed us family financial records -- there were notations of an "L. Wilcox" on the family payroll, collecting sizeable chunks of cash at regular intervals.

Panel 2.
Sherry is looking very skeptical.

SHERRY:
Hold the phone. That's all there was? A surname and initial scribbled in some mobster's notebook?

JULIA:
No -- that's just what we STARTED with. Later we matched up the recorded payments with large sums deposited in your sister's account. But by that time, Laureen and Sofia Gigante were both dead.

JULIA:
There was zilch to be gained by trying to "prove" that Sofia had bribed a detective . . . or that a detective had taken bribes. So Commissioner Gordon let it drop.

Panel 3.
Sherry is looking angry.

SHERRY:
What does this mean? That the city paid the insurance, the benefits, to us, rather than admit a detective had gone bad before she died?

JULIA:
No, your sister was following orders, part of a team searching for the Hang Man, when she died. That's "in the line of duty." So your family WAS entitled to the usual benefits. Nothing fraudulent about it.

JULIA:
We . . . we don't think she ever knew Sofia was the Hang Man, or else she would've covered herself better. Left a sealed envelope somewhere and made sure Sofia KNEW it would be opened the day of Laureen's funeral, fr'instance.

Panel 4.
Sherry has her hands pressed against her face.

SHERRY:
And after ten years, you're finally telling me because of this Bilinsky guy you mentioned on the phone?

JULIA:
Fred Bilinsky. He says he's writing a book about the Holiday and Hang Man murders, and he plans to interview lots of people. One source already fed him a rumor about Laureen taking bribes -- so I played dumb, then called you as soon as he left. Better you hear it from me than have him blindside you.

Panel 5.
Sherry still has her face covered.

SHERRY: Do you think he'll put it in the book?

JULIA: I don't know what he'll do.

SHERRY: It would break Mom's heart if he did.

JULIA: I figured. Why do you think I'm telling YOU first, instead of calling her in Sarasota?

PAGE FOURTEEN (two panels)

Panel 1. This one is, I figure, two-thirds or more of the page, practically -- but not quite -- a Splash Page. Sherry, looking both beautiful and furious, is getting out of the car, now, planning to walk off some of the stress of what she's just heard. Julia is still in the driver's seat.

SHERRY:
Well, I haven't heard from him. But I hope I do. I think I'd better jog back to my dorm -- work off some steam before any confrontation.

JULIA:
Careful, Sherry. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

SHERRY:
Me? Julia, you ought to know me better than that.

Panel 2.
Julia's now alone in the car as we zoom in for a close-up on her face. She's still sitting behind the steering wheel.

JULIA (small voice, only speaking to herself, really):
I thought I knew Laureen better, too.

PAGE FIFTEEN (four panels)

Panel 1.
The First Obligatory Fight Scene begins! Robin (Tim Drake) is fighting a motley crew of thugs who are wearing Halloween-style masks. Three of them. One looks kinda like Kermit the Frog. One looks like Porky Pig. One looks like a skunk -- something like Pepe Le Pew, I'm thinking. Call them Frog-Guy, Pig-Guy, Skunk-Guy. As we open up, the fight is already going strong and Robin is kicking Frog-Guy hard enough to knock him down for the time being. By the way, we're on a dark street somewhere in downtown Gotham after nightfall.

CAPTION (Robin's thoughts):
Still a week to go before Halloween, but some of the thugs are already dressing for the occasion. It adds color to my life.

Panel 2.
Robin hits Skunk-Guy upside the head with his staff, stunning him. Pig Guy is standing behind Robin, raising a blunt object overhead (a crowbar, I'm thinking) and preparing to strike down at his head from behind.

Why, if I were having this fight in June or July, they'd probably just be wearing stocking masks. Not nearly so EXCITING as fighting a frog, a hog, and a skunk.

Panel 3.
Robin has spun around and is using his staff to block Pig-Guy's downward blow with the crowbar.

I suppose I ought to thank them for amusing me tonight --

Panel 4.
Robin drives one end of his staff into Pig-Guy's belly just hard enough to knock the wind out of him.

But I won't. Call me an ingrate!

PAGE SIXTEEN (one panel)

Panel 1.
Splash page. (Loeb and Sale seem to be NUTS about splash pages, and since I'm trying to write a "sequel" to some of their past collaborations, I figure I should consciously try to ape them in that regard.)

The vanquished bodies of his opponents are now carpeting the pavement around him. Robin is standing tall, like a conqueror posing for a statue, holding his trusty staff, looking around for any further trouble. (There isn't any.) We can see a "First Quarter" moon in the night sky, however -- which means almost exactly the right half of the lunar disk is plainly visible, give or take a couple of percent; the left half is hidden in darkness. (This is important so that the moon can be logically be full on the night of Halloween, when the first murder of this story will naturally occur.)

Seriously, this was just a light warm-up for the main event. With everybody and his brother wearing costumes on October 31, it's going to be miserable sorting out the usual suspects from the innocent bystanders. Batman growls every time the subject comes up.

So naturally BRUCE WAYNE is hosting a big costume party a week from now. Got to maintain the pose of the spoiled playboy who never worries about supervillains and security problems, I suppose.

At least I don't have to be there. He told me to try to just have fun with my own friends for a few hours. Then, if I want to go on patrol later, that's fine.

PAGE SEVENTEEN (four panels)

Panel 1.
Julia is talking into a phone.

JULIA:
Sherry? I wondered if you'd heard anything from Bilinsky yet?

Panel 2.
Sherry is in her dorm, holding the phone. She's wearing a T-Shirt that has the classic yellow oval with a black bat-emblem inside, just like what Batman used to wear on his chest for decades, beginning around the mid-60s.

SHERRY:
No, I haven't. I'm thinking he may not want to interview me at all. I was in sixth grade when Laureen died, so he probably realizes I don't have any in-depth knowledge about the case.

JULIA'S VOICE (from the phone):
Logical.

Panel 3.
We're looking at Julia's end of the conversation again. She's at her desk in her office, of course.

SHERRY'S VOICE (phone):
But I still want to meet him. Look him in the eye and ask him what he intends to say about my sister in his book. I forgot to ask the other day -- do you have a phone number for him?

JULIA:
No . . . silly of me. I should have, but I chased him out of my office before he could give me one. I don't know where he hangs his hat. He hasn't been in town long enough to be in the White Pages -- I checked.

Panel 4.
We're glancing at Sherry again.

SHERRY:
He's bound to turn up somewhere.

JULIA'S VOICE (phone):
Actually, a little bird told me Bilinsky was invited to Bruce Wayne's Halloween bash. Sleep-Tite is providing warm bodies for Wayne Manor that night -- I could get you in.

SHERRY:
Hold that thought, Julia -- I MIGHT have another way in. Can I call you back if I need you to pull strings?

JULIA'S VOICE (phone):
Absolutely!

PAGE EIGHTEEN (four panels)

Panel 1.
Sherry, still wearing her bat-emblem T-Shirt, has wandered out into the main room of the apartment she shares with her roommate (now seen for the first time). The roommate is DEBORAH NATHANS (hereafter just DEB). Deb has long dark hair that hangs straight down. She's about twenty-four, studious, rather thin, rather prudish in the way she usually dresses. She's also Jewish, although that won't be mentioned in dialogue in this scene. Deb is seated at the table in their apartment, reading a book, while Sherry paces back and forth in the background, behind her. The book Deb is holding is Modern Man in Search of a Soul, by Carl Jung.

SHERRY:
Hmm. Deb, doesn't one of your cousins get invitations to all of Bruce Wayne's shindigs?

DEB:
Sure. Ben Daniel. Why?

Panel 2.

SHERRY:
Do you know if he's actually planning to go to the Halloween party next week?

DEB:
Huh? I doubt it. He's been to a few of Wayne's parties before. No expense spared, natch, but the other guests are mostly "old fogies" -- as Ben so quaintly puts it. I think he means the average age is at least thirty.

Panel 3.

SHERRY:
One foot in the grave, eh? Yeah, I guess he might be bored. If he's NOT using that invitation, I wonder if I could borrow it.

DEB:
Beats me. His number's on the fridge. You can ask him.

SHERRY:
Thanks, reckon I will!

Panel 4.
Sherry is staring at a refrigerator that has at least a dozen things stuck to it, mostly with those cute little magnets. Maybe a few sticky Post-It Notes as well.

SHERRY:
Let's see now . . . ah, there he is!

DEB (OP):
Just out of idle curiosity . . .

SHERRY:
Yes?

PAGE NINETEEN (five panels)

Panel 1.
Deb is an accomplished multi-tasker. She's still intently studying her book as she raises a very logical question.

DEB:
What's your backup plan if he says he's using the invitation himself?

SHERRY:
Then I ask if he's got room in his car for one more girl when he drives out to Wayne Manor.

Panel 2.
Deb is finally looking up from her book, turning her head to gaze silently in Sherry's direction for a moment. She doesn't look angry -- but pretty serious.

Panel 3.
Focus on Sherry as Deb asks a question. Sherry looks honestly shocked at what's being said.

DEB:
Sherry, is all this about getting my dear cousin to take you out on a date?

SHERRY:
What? NO! It's about infiltrating Wayne Manor to look for someone else! Ben's just a means to an end! I'm not chasing him or anything!

Panel 4.
Deb finally smiles. It looks very good on her.

DEB:
Okay, okay. Just checking. Good luck, then!

Panel 5.
Deb is buried in her book again while Sherry speaks from off-panel.

SHERRY (OP):
Ben Daniel? It's Sherry Wilcox, Deb's roommate -- oh, you recognize my voice from that party last month? Great! I blush to say it, but I was calling to ask --

PAGE TWENTY (four panels)

A montage page. Each panel is its own little scene, flashing before the reader's eyes before we cut without warning to the next scene, etc.

Panel 1.
We are back in Julia Lopez's office at the Sleep-Tite Security Company. Julia is speaking into her office telephone again. "Yeah, B-I-L-I-N-S-K-Y, Fred Bilinsky. I want a full background check, and a current address and phone number would also be nice if you can dig 'em up somewhere."

Panel 2.
Gilda Dent is staring at a wall calendar (currently showing the month of October) and murmuring to herself.

GILDA: . . . Thirteen years ago TONIGHT our home was blown up, Harvey. Nothing was ever the same after that. If I could turn back time . . .

Panel 3.
Bruce Wayne is wearing silvery "armor" patterned after what a medieval "knight in shining armor" would wear, although his stuff is either plastic or very lightweight metal and would not actually offer much protection in a real swordfight. He is not wearing the helm at the moment; we can see his face clearly as he speaks; the rest of him being wrapped up in silvery metal. He looks stern. He is facing us; in front of him we see the black silhouettes of the heads and shoulders of at least five or six men whom Bruce is speaking to. The reader can't tell who they are or how they are dressed -- just black outlines of bare-headed men. We only hear an excerpt from the middle of Bruce's speech, giving them their marching orders.

BRUCE:
-- counting on each of you to do your best. Circulate. Keep an eye out for trouble. A lot of people will be enjoying my hospitality tonight, and I don't want them hurt. You'll all be properly rewarded for due diligence, of course -- especially the three of you who agreed to help cover for me if I have to run out.

Panel 4.
The Calendar Man is drawing a red circle around October 31 on one of his many wall calendars.

CALENDAR MAN:
Samhain. All Hallow's Eve. Beggar's Night. Halloween. Hop-tu-Naa. National Magic Day.

CALENDAR MAN:
Keats's birthday. The day Martin Luther posted his ninety-five theses. AND a full moon. Things should be hopping TONIGHT!

PAGE TWENTY-ONE (one panel)

Panel 1.
Splash page. Four people have just walked in through the main front entrance of Bruce Wayne's stately home. From left to right (as we face them) we have AMY TRAGER, BEN DANIEL, SHERRY WILCOX, DEB NATHANS. All in costume, natch! Ben's right arm is linked with Amy's left arm. Ben's left hand is raised, holding a white folded invitation for ALFRED PENNYWORTH, seen from the rear as he faces Ben.

Now let's examine them in more detail:

AMY TRAGER (hereafter just AMY), the friend who is basically Ben's "real date" tonight, although apparently his invitation was worded in such a way that he could in fact bring a party of four. (We'll never see the exact text of the invitation, though -- who cares?) We are meeting Amy for the first time. Female Caucasian, somewhere in her twenties, her hair is blond and curly, her eyes are blue. She's not wearing any mask; she knows she's good-looking in a "cute and wholesome girl next door" sort of way and prefers to get full mileage out of that very convenient fact. She's dressed as Alice in Wonderland, I'm thinking, like the old Tenniel illustrations.

BEN DANIEL (hereafter just BEN) is also making his first onstage appearnce in this panel. Male Caucasian, sandy hair, green eyes, freckles, early twenties, slim build, average height. Ben is currently dressed as a swashbuckling pirate, vaguely like something out of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films. (As long as you don't draw him as a carbon copy of any of the movie characters -- but dressed in the same general style from that era, okay?).

SHERRY, Deb's roommate. Indulging her flair for the dramatic, Sherry is dressed up in a replica of the classic BATGIRL costume. Which means she looks almost EXACTLY the way Barbara Gordon used to look in her old costumed career, long before the crippling injury in "The Killing Joke." It helps that Sherry also has long red hair; she didn't need to fool around with wigs or dyes to get the proper effect. Granted, it's always possible that the unsuspecting reader will do a double-take at this moment, before reading the dialogue, and wonder if Babs Gordon is back on her feet, but he'll get over it! Sherry will continue to wear the full costume, including the cowl covering the upper part of her face, until further notice.

Just in case there was any doubt: let me assure you right now that Sherry is totally OBLIVIOUS to the fact that she is currently under the roof of Batman himself (in his other identity). In other words, we'll never drop any hints that she wore a Batgirl costume as any sort of "subtle signal" to any bona fide superheroes who might be hanging around Wayne Manor, because she didn't! It's sheer coincidence! These things happen! (Especially in superhero comics! :))

And then, over on the far right, we have DEB, Ben's first cousin, who's dressed as a rootin', tootin', cowgirl type. Here's a link to a webpage that starts with a lovely photo of Doris Day as "Calamity Jane" in the musical comedy with that title -- http://www.dorisday.net/calamity_jane.html -- what Doris is wearing shows one POSSIBLE approach to the general look I want Deb to be going for. Although of course Deb still has long dark hair in this scene, instead of Doris's short blond hair. (I can accept considerable variation in the costume design, however, if you think you have a better idea! If I were a master of graphic design, then I'd be illustrating this silly script myself, wouldn't I?)

All four of these guests are smiling as they enter. Sure, Sherry still wants to track down Fred Bilinsky and have a pointed discussion with him, but at the moment she's in a party mood.

SHERRY:
-- want to thank you again for indulging me, Ben!

BEN:
Frankly, Sherry, it wasn't JUST for you. Amy said she'd always wanted to explore Wayne Manor at least once in her life, but never got the chance!

AMY:
It's the simple truth. He suddenly had a chance to score points with both of us at once, so of course he went for it!

DEB: Two birds with one stone, cousin? Very efficient of you.

BEN:
Hey, you decided to come along too, Deb. What's that make, three birds? When we make our entrance, everybody's going to think pretty girls hang around me in flocks!

PAGES TWENTY-TWO AND TWENTY-THREE (one big panel)

Panel 1.
A double splash page; a big crowd shot. We get our first look (well, in this story, anyway) at the main ballroom in Wayne Manor, full of dozens of people wearing any costumes they please. Or should I say any costumes that YOU (the artist) please? Sherry, Deb, Ben, and Amy are all entering through a big double doorway simultaneously. I've already described them.

A handful of other characters are wearing costumes that I will describe when the time comes. Beyond that, there are dozens of other people milling around in the ballroom wearing costumes, but I don't know or care exactly what each and every one of them chose to rent from a costume shop for the evening. Therefore, you (the penciller) are definitely invited to indulge yourself in deciding how to draw these "extras" in the ballroom panels as we go along! Just to toss out a few rough ideas -- the possibilities include superheroes, historical figures such as Abe Lincoln or Napoleon, funny animals, people who look as if they just stepped out of a sword-and-sorcery epic . . . or whatever you want to draw! Have fun! Bruce Wayne did not insist on any unifying theme for his party when he sent out the invitations. I figure some of the costumed guests are wearing masks of one type or another (sometimes just cute little domino masks similar to what Robin traditionally wears; sometimes ones that cover much or all of the face), but not every guest felt the need to do that.

Note: Alfred Pennyworth is not costumed. He is wearing a plain tuxedo and showing his face to the world. The hired caterers, the band, etc., are likewise in regular formal clothes, no costumes, no masks, so that guests can spot the distinctions between other guests and service staff at a glance.)

Over on one side of the room I'd like a long buffet table with a wide assortment of little snack foods (we probably can't make out much detail of them in such a long shot) and drinks. I figure Commissioner Gordon in his Minuteman costume is already over there, and I'd appreciate it if we have a knight in silvery armor (Bruce) moving through the crowd in Gordon's direction. Beyond that, anything goes! (As long as it's PG-rated.)

DEB:
Sure, if they even notice us in all this crowd!

PAGE TWENTY-FOUR (five panels)

Panel 1.
We are still inside the ballroom, but the focus has shifted to the buffet table. We have no idea what Deb, Sherry, Ben, and Amy are doing.

COMMISSIONER GORDON (hereafter just GORDON) is holding a full glass of punch he just obtained and looking out at the crowd (which we can't really see much of in this little panel - we just gather that must be what he's doing). Gordon is dressed like a Minuteman from the American Revolutionary War.

Standing near him is a knight in silvery armor, with his helm closed. This knight is actually Bruce Wayne, wearing the same suit he was wearing on Page Nineteen, although the reader can't be sure of that at a glance. But the reader can see that the guy has the approximate build of a heavyweight and is definitely taller than Gordon. I mention this now mainly because Bruce is not the only guy who will be wearing such a suit tonight, and at least one of the other "knights" at the party will be significantly shorter and lighter in build. Naturally, I'll warn you of the difference when it's necessary to draw that guy.

BRUCE):
Thanks for coming, Jim.

GORDON:
That you, Bruce? It's hard to tell through that helm.

Panel 2.

BRUCE:
Yes, I thought I'd find out what it was like hundreds of years ago for my Crusading ancestors.

GORDON:
Didn't they have to wear that stuff in desert sunlight? An air-conditioned ballroom doesn't give you the full experience.

BRUCE:
Close enough!

Panel 3.

Gordon is looking a tad morose as he peers around the room over the glass held up near his mouth.

GORDON:
You realize, of course, that when Gotham's wealthiest man hosts the biggest Halloween party around, it's likely to attract some of the freaks?

BRUCE:
What am I supposed to do, Jim? Give all my money away? Only attend other people's parties but never reciprocate by inviting them over? Turn this place into a bunker and shoot anyone who knocks on the door? They all have drawbacks!

Panel 4.

GORDON:
Yes, they do. And no, I'm not saying you should abandon any semblance of a social life. I just hope you have more security around than meets the eye.

BRUCE:
I hired several men from Sleep-Tite.

GORDON:
Run by Julia Lopez now. As honest and shrewd as they come. I just Wish she'd stayed with the department. Heck, someday she might have been in line for MY job!

Panel 5.
Bruce and Gordon have both turned to have their backs to the table, as, side by side, they gaze out toward the rest of the ballroom.

BRUCE:
The story I heard was that she didn't have much choice -- after her father became so ill and she needed the extra income.

GORDON:
Yeah . . . frankly, Bruce, the department still has its faults . . . but I honestly believe it miraculously gives the voters a lot more loyal service than they are ever willing to pay for.

[TO BE CONTINUED]

Okay, that was the first half of "Double Dealing #1." Pages 25-48 will someday be posted in this same thread, after I've whipped their "rough draft" versions into better shape.

In the meantime:

All constructive criticism will be appreciated! I'd rather get thought-provoking feedback on what I apparently did wrong than no feedback at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"