"Batman" is Suing Christopher Nolan...

CFE

The never-ending battle
Reaction score
Mayor of 'Batman, Istanbul' to sue "Dark Knight" director over name infringement and royalties

Hurrinet Daily News said:
ISTANBUL - The mayor of Batman, a city recently under scrutiny due to unsolved murders and increasing rates of female suicides, will sue director Christopher Nolan, the filmmaker behind the recent "Batman" films.

Not a superhero with supernatural abilities, or a person wealthy enough to buy high-tech toys to fight evil, but a simple human being named Hüseyin Kalkan, the pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party mayor of the southeastern city of Batman, declared war against his city’s namesake superhero, Batman.

“The royalty of the name ‘Batman’ belongs to us … There is only one Batman in the world. The American producers used the name of our city without informing us,” Kalkan told to the Doğan news agency. Batman is a centuries old city, taking root in the Neolithic age but becoming significant when oil was found in the region at the end of 1940s. Almost a decade before that, Batman was created as a comic hero. Kalkan is going to sue Christopher Nolan, the director of the latest Batman movie “The Dark Night,” not DC Comics, the creator of the superhero.

Mayor Kalkan, speaking to the Hürriyet Daily News and the Economic Review, said last year foreign media picked up on Batman and the city’s increasing suicide rates among women. He said a columnist asked why Batman’s mayor did not sue the movie Batman for royalties while struggling with economic problems. “We found this criticism right and started to look for legal possibilities of a case like that,” he said.

Meanwhile, local newspaper Batman Çağdaş alleged yesterday that Batman residents living abroad cannot use Batman as a title for their business, leading the municipality to think about the royalty rights of that name.

However, mayor Kalkan rejected any allegations about the issue and said they do not have any information that Batman residents living abroad have problems about using Batman as a name.

But Batman Çağdaş newspaper reported that Şafii Dağ, a former Batman resident, currently living in the Germany city of Wesel, is one of those citizens who cannot use Batman as a title for his business, according to the newspaper. “I named my two restaurants Batman. But six months ago, a team of employees from the production company of the movie Batman made me change the title. Telling them that Batman was the name of my hometown did not change anything,” Dağ said.

Meanwhile, the name of a local region cannot be registered as a brand name, said lawyer Vehbi Kahveci, head of the Intellectual and Industrial Property Rights Commission of the Istanbul Bar. Also having overseas clients, Kahveci said “Batman” and his image is registered all around the world. The Batman Municipality missed the period in which they could object to the registration decision for Batman’s name as a superhero, according to Kahveci.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/domestic/10301376.asp?gid=244

-----

This is the dumbest crap I've ever heard. If they were really serious, they've had close to 70 years to sue. Screw these pieces of crap!

J. Nolan: I suppose they'll lock me up as well. As your accomplice...

C Nolan: Accomplice? I'm going to tell them the whole thing was your idea.

Everyone is looking for a piece of the action.

Did anyone tell him the movie was called "The Dark Knight"? Instead of suing Nolan, he should focus on cleaning up his ****ty city.

I'm guessing that the name of the city is pronounced "bahtmahn" and not "batman" like the superhero.

In which case that mayor is just being an idiot or looking for publicity.

Assuming this is true, which I doubt...does he not realize Christopher Nolan didn't create Batman, and that Batman has been around for about 70 years before The Dark Knight?

I'm guessing that the name of the city is pronounced "bahtmahn" and not "batman" like the superhero.

In which case that mayor is just being an idiot or looking for publicity.

Exactly what I was thinking.

This is stupid on so many levels. 1st of all Bob Kane created the character back in the 40's. DC comics holds the rights and trademark. WTF does Nolan have to do with anything. He directed movies that DC and WB hired him to direct. Yeah let's see how far this goes. DumbA$$es!!:brucebat:

Ha! Batman has been around for decades and NOW he wants to sue?

Mayor of 'Batman, Istanbul' to sue "Dark Knight" director over name infringement and royalties

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/english/domestic/10301376.asp?gid=244

-----

Not that surprising, DC Comics already paid them money in a settlement a few years back for the same thing.

This is stupid on so many levels. 1st of all Bob Kane created the character back in the 40's. DC comics holds the rights and trademark. WTF does Nolan have to do with anything. He directed movies that DC and WB hired him to direct. Yeah let's see how far this goes. DumbA$$es!!:brucebat:

Arguable.

Well, Batman hasn't had a movie that made over $500 million before now.

True, Well in this case im going to sue Nolan because i ware a cape and talk in a really raspy voice when im angry! :cmad:

GIVE ME MONEY!

I am sorry, the amount of sheer ********tery in this article made me come to an abrupt stop and piss myself.

Also I vote we rename New York to Allah's City and then sue the Islamic nation.

Wow!! WTF! :huh:

For this case I just HOPE there is some sort of corruption in the judicial system and that guy gets life in prison for making a stupid case!!HAHA that would be awesome, too bad I won't get it my way :o

This mayor probably still thinks he's in Constantinople.

There's a statute of limitations that was up 50 or 60 years ago I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"