The Dark Knight Batman or the Batman?

D4rkShaDoWz

I can do this all day
Reaction score
After watching Begins, I noticed that sometimes Wayne refers to himself as Batman while others call him "the Batman"

Examples of "the Batman"

Dr. Jonathan Crane: [the lights have shut off] He's here.
Arkham Thug #1: Who?
Dr. Jonathan Crane: The Bat-man.
----
Flass: Back-up?
Uniformed Policeman #1: The Batman's in there. SWAT's on the way, but if you want to go in now, I'll be right behind you, sir.
[pause]
----
Examples of Batman:

Carmine Falcone
: [frantically loading his shotgun] What the hell are you?
[Batman breaks open the limo's sunroof and pulls Falcone out]
Batman: I'm Batman!
----
Rachel Dawes: [Rachel touches Bruce's face] No, *this* is your mask. Your real face is the one that criminals now fear. The man I loved - the man who vanished - he never came back at all. But maybe he's still out there, somewhere. Maybe some day, when Gotham no longer needs Batman, I'll see him again.

Examples in The Dark Knight:

Gamble: So what are you proposing?
The Joker: It's simple: Kill the Batman
----
Alfred Pennyworth: Know your limits, Master Wayne.
Bruce Wayne: Batman has no limits.

So which one is it?

I see Batman as something for people he knows to call him. 'The Batman' is what people who still think of him as an urban legend call him.

The way crane said it in begins was almost in a mocking way.

I personallt like him being called The Batman!

the batman refers to what he was call in the old 1940's comics

I see Batman as something for people he knows to call him. 'The Batman' is what people who still think of him as an urban legend call him.

The way crane said it in begins was almost in a mocking way.

This is what I think also.

His "name" Batman should come about naturally from the description "the batman", I think. People would start calling him the Batman because that's just what he is - that's what you'd call him if you saw him. Then people who interact with him would obviously call him just Batman and it would become a name, though people would still call him The Batman too. The two titles should be interchangeable (along with just "the bat").

Of course it didn't happen that way in the movie, Bruce just came up with the name "batman" straight off. But both terms should still be used, it's not one or the other.

And The Batman always sounded cool in a pulpy way, like The Shadow or The Spider.

this is a silly thread. it's both. batman is the batman.

I like both, doesnt bother me, they can use any of them.

His "name" Batman should come about naturally from the description "the batman", I think. People would start calling him the Batman because that's just what he is - that's what you'd call him if you saw him. Then people who interact with him would obviously call him just Batman and it would become a name, though people would still call him The Batman too. The two titles should be interchangeable (along with just "the bat").

Of course it didn't happen that way in the movie, Bruce just came up with the name "batman" straight off. But both terms should still be used, it's not one or the other.

And The Batman always sounded cool in a pulpy way, like The Shadow or The Spider.

Agreed. You don't hear anyone saying "Hey, the Batman, would you like a sandwich?" Why? Because invariably the answer is "no", the Batman hates sandwiches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"