Be very afraid when it's 'Lights Out'

Kyle

Sidekick
Reaction score
lights-out.png

RELEASE DATE:: July 22

When Rebecca (Teresa Palmer) left home, she thought that her childhood fears were behind her. As a young girl growing up, she was never really sure of what was real when the lights went out at night. Now, her little brother Martin (Gabriel Bateman) is experiencing the same unexplained and terrifying events that jeopardized her safety and sanity. Holding a mysterious attachment to their mother (Maria Bello), the supernatural entity has returned with a vengeance to torment the entire family.

This is the new trailer that won me over after being on the fence about it, plus it looks to be getting some very solid reviews already:

This trailer scared the crap out of me. I really enjoyed it. I hope the film is one of those rare horror gems like Insidious.

I hope this is good. The original short freaked me out a lot.

[YT]tOI4bJ0-IrY[/YT]

That was very creepy :wow:. Can't wait to see it.

God i love the short. Hope this director can bring home again on the big screen.

I just hope they don't go the usual route of explaining everything and turning the "ghost" into a misunderstood victim. The less you explain, the scarier it is. Same as with Halloween (Carpenter) compared to the Zombie version which over explained his origin and tried to somewhat make him sympathetic.

I just hope they don't go the usual route of explaining everything and turning the "ghost" into a misunderstood victim. The less you explain, the scarier it is. Same as with Halloween (Carpenter) compared to the Zombie version which over explained his origin and tried to somewhat make him sympathetic.

The ghost's backstory was shown a little bit in the trailer.

reminds me of 'They' and 'The Entity.'

The Entity is one of my top 10 horror movies ever, so if this is a fraction of that, I'm pumped.

Caught this tonight. A fantastic well put together movie. There are many very effectively put together sequences.

What mostly impressed me is the actual story telling going on here. The movie actually works quite well as a family drama intermingled with some legitimately scary sequences.

All of the characters are very well fleshed out and easy to root for. The audience I was in was actually clapping at parts of this movie.

Some of the back story exposition is somewhat clunky but it takes up just a minute and gets back to the business of scaring the crap out of everyone.

Along with everything else, the movie is just damn creative. There are ways that the director plays with light that I never would have thought of.

9/10.

^Is it explained why she's so vengeful and taking people out? You don't have to spoil it though.

Nice, I can't wait to see it. I'm so glad it's actually good

I saw trailer with Warcraft. Looked great. I must say I am going to see this in cinema.

^Is it explained why she's so vengeful and taking people out? You don't have to spoil it though.

There really isn't much more backstory than what was in that recent trailer.

Really though its not much of a vengeance thing.

Not a spoiler following but I'll tag it anyways.

[BLACKOUT]Its much more of a jealousy thing as she is fixated upon the mom and preys upon her mental health[/BLACKOUT]

This movie takes things in some surprising directions.

Apparently this is getting good reviews. I guess it's the power of James Wan being a producer?

Apparently this is getting good reviews. I guess it's the power of James Wan being a producer?

Considering how much better this is than The Conjuring 2 I give credit to the director. There's a lot of creativity on display in this movie.

Conjuring 2 was very good so if this is better than that it should be a scary good film.

the short movie was amazing. Hope the movie delivers.

Great movie. It reminded me of a more adult 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' episode in all the best ways (that was always the scarier of the two). 8.5/10. There was something Amblin, but a darker twisted Amblin feel to it - kinda King.

Last edited:
Just got out of the theater. Totally legit, classic horror film, up there with Conjuring and Insidious and Annabelle. 9.5/10 without hesitation. Basically, it's definitely a film that James Wan should be proud to have his name on.

And the storytelling, in my opinion, is better than the other films mentioned above. Teresa Palmer plays a very modern, realistic girl and the kid who plays her little brother is extremely believable. None of the acting is hokey and the characters feel completely real. Very good, dramatic storytelling.

So in this thread, the general consensus from the three reviews here are 9/10, 8.5/10, and 9.5/10

Go see it, Hypesters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"