Belushi-John Belushi Biopic

K.B.

Sidekick
Reaction score
The Hollywood Reporter says that Steven Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness) will write and Todd Phillips (The Hangover, upcoming Due Date) will produce a biopic about comedian John Belushi, who died of a drug overdose in 1982 at age 33. Alexandra Milchan and Bonnie Timmerman are also producing.

Warner Bros. recently acquired the rights from Belushi's estate. Belushi's widow, Judith, who published "Belushi" in 2005 with Tanner Colby, will be an executive producer on the project, as Judith Belushi Pisano (she's since remarried). "Belushi" is described as follows:

On the day he turned thirty, John starred in America's number-one movie (Animal House), starred in the number-one late-night show (Saturday Night Live) and had recorded the number-one album (Briefcase Full of Blues). All from a guy who was never supposed to make it out from behind the cash register of his family's Chicago diner.

How did this Albanian immigrant's son capture a nation's imagination and come to embody all the glory and tragedy of the American dream? It was one high-price, high-speed, short-lived wild ride.

BELUSHI is a whirlwind of a book, filled with never-before-seen photos and provocative, intensely personal testimonials by just about every major comedic figure of the last half century. Here is the remarkable and raucous story of a larger-than-life figure who danced out at the precipice of American fame.

Belushi's other feature credits include The Blues Brothers, Continental Divide and Neighbors.

I'm not impressed only because I always said if I ever made it in Hollywood I would do everything in my power to make a biopic of Belushi based off his wifes book (followed by a sequel adapting "Samurai Widow"). I t was at the top of my "dream project" list :csad:

Now all that aside, I am happy this is being done under someone talented and (hopefully) willing to be faithful to tell the truth as his story is really a touching one and deserves respect.

Personally I would cast Ellen Page as Judith and Bill Hader as Dan Akroyd.

As for John.....................?

I can see Jack Black being cast as John. Not my first choice but it just seems like something that would happen.

It's really good to hear this is project is being made after the atrocity that was Wired.

Don't get me started on that :cmad:

I will say that out of all that crap Mike Chiklis did put in a pretty good performance and he really should be commended for taking the hit for that movie when he had nothing to do with it other than it being his first big break.

The Blues Brothers movie had a major impact on me when i was a tennager, the first album i ever bought was a BB live album, 'made in america', I am really glad they are making this movie, first i've heard of it.
I have always avoided 'Wired' because I heard it was really that bad. Belushi was awesome in Bb, and i have heard a couple of stories about him, should be a good biopic.
Landis told one on a documentary of how Belushi disapeared off the set of the BB, he'd went up to some stranger's house, knocked on the door, said 'You know me right, John Belushi?', and with that, he walked into the person's home without asking and crashed out on their couch. Everyone was frantically looking for him, etc.

Speaking of John Landis, maybe he could be involved in this in some fashion.

It's too bad we had to suffer through his untalented brother these days.

Don't get me started on that :cmad:

I will say that out of all that crap Mike Chiklis did put in a pretty good performance and he really should be commended for taking the hit for that movie when he had nothing to do with it other than it being his first big break.

So why was Chiklis given **** for being in that movie? I heard Akroyd was talking **** about him back then.

It's too bad we had to suffer through his untalented brother these days.

Agreed.

John's brother is not funny and I don't understand how he has a career in comedy/film.

If Jorge Garcia lost alot of weight he could be a good Belushi

I would not mind Jack Black getting the role of Belushi like was said, as long as he took it seriously and got right into it, going so far as Val Kilmer did with Morrison, studying the guy's history, voice, physical mannerisms, stubble and trying to get into his state of mind.
I know he is overexposed somewhat, but he can still do good comedic roles, i just saw 'Be Kind, Rewind' for the 1st time recently and thought he was great in it.

Last edited:
I would not mind Jack Black getting the role of Belushi like was said, as long as he took it seriously and got right into it, going so far as Val Kilmer did with Morrison, studying the guy's history, voice, physical mannerisms, stubble and trying to get into his state of mind.
I know he is overexposed somewhat, but he can still do good comedic roles, i just saw 'Be Kind, Rewind' for the 1st time recently and thought he was great in it.

Yeah he was, that movie is pretty underrated. I don't hate Jack Black like a lot of people do for some reason but I'm not sure how he'd do in what I'm imagining would be a serious biopic.

Last edited:
Yeah he was, that movie is pretty underrated. I don't hate Jack Black like a lot of people do for some reason but I'm not sure how he'd do in what I'm imagining would be a serious biopic.

I think he could probably pull off something like Jim Carrey in Man in the Moon with his performance of Andy Kaufman, he just has to take it seriously enough.

I was just about to take down that joke about HK there and you just quoted it, i thought it was in bad taste, just remembered the guy was just out of hospital.

lol I'm sorry. You want I should get rid of it?

I really can't see anyone playing Belushi.

I think Jack Black would understand the incredible responsibility of playing Belushi and rise to the occasion.

I know this is a little out there. But what about Kevin Smith?

lol I'm sorry. You want I should get rid of it?

lol, yeah, ok, next time you are in town delete that part please, I was actually being serious about Jorge Garcia playing HK in a movie, but then i had to make kind of a 'joke' about the weight there too, which i actually don't usually do, not my kind of humour. i like HK a lot, and he has been thru the mill recently health wise, which i forgot about.

As for Jack Black, the guy has shown enough chops to make me think he could pull off a good Belushi, he played a straight role very well in King Kong, and can obviously handle the comedy.

So why was Chiklis given **** for being in that movie? I heard Akroyd was talking **** about him back then.

Thats just how the Hollywood/society works.

Basically the movie was unathorized so a lot of it was untrue and the Belushi family boycotted as well the public, critics HATED it. When that much negative attention comes to something they always try to find a target and unfortunatly Mike became that target and he was, in a way, blackballed.

'Michael Chiklis' participation in Wired derailed the actor's career for 18 months: "After Wired, everyone was afraid to touch me for fear of reprisal...It was a bittersweet situation. All of a sudden, I was starring in a major motion picture and the next thing you know, I'm being asked by reporters, 'Do you think you'll be blackballed?' I literally went from appearing at the Cannes Film Festival, with the whole international press corps asking me questions, to being alone in my one-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn with the phone not ringing. All the dreams and aspirations I'd ever had in my life were in question. It was a humbling, scary experience." Chiklis later told Jim Belushi that he took on the lead role in Wired out of "love, respect and homage" for his brother, and apologised for any hurt he had caused the Belushi family.'

I think he could probably pull off something like Jim Carrey in Man in the Moon with his performance of Andy Kaufman

Bad example as Jim was a HORRIBLE Andy. Andy was not a "surfer dude".

I really think Jack Black would be great at this as he's pretty close to John in his performance and musical background. As for as the "can he do a drama?" question: He did a great job in King Kong and he wasn't acting spastic at all.

Read an article about it at work and some of the names they dropped were interesting:

Seth Rogen-who should be kept as far away from this as humanly possible.

Jack Black-of course

Tyler Labine-interesting choice..could work as he's still "unknown" and I think that would really help the role.

Jonah Hill- at first a little out of nowhere but if you think about it, REALLY think about it, it could actually work.

Jonah Hill isn't a bad choice actually. And while I actually like Seth Rogen I don't think this is for him.

Yeah, Jonah Hill could be awesome as Belushi, I thought he was tremendous in Superbad, he could pull it off.

Jonah Hill isn't a bad choice actually. And while I actually like Seth Rogen I don't think this is for him.

Rogen's actually lost a lot of weight. He'd have to gain it back to play Belushi.

So, which crappy actor will they have to play his brother?

So, which crappy actor will they have to play his brother?

The kid from Two and a Half Men. Given the **** quality of the show, he should be tailor made for such a part. :o

Jim Belushi's such a bad actor, he couldn't even play himself in this movie.

I wonder if a young Robin Williams is going to be a character, and who would play him.

I dont think Jim is THAT bad an actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"