Black Mirror (Science Fiction anthology TV Show)

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
A hybrid of The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected which taps into our contemporary unease about our modern world", with the stories having a "techno-paranoia" feel.

Second series of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror starts tonight starring Hayley Atwell.

Season 1 Trailer
[YT]pimqGkBT6Ek[/YT]
Season 2 Trailer
[YT]sF_kZKVppw0[/YT]

Robert Downey Jr. has picked up the movie rights to The Entire History Of You, an episode of Black Mirror, according to Broadcast.

Black Mirror is the Charlie Brooker-created anthology show that looks at the darker side of modern tech and pop culture. The episode in question was written by Peep Show’s Jesse Armstrong, and starred Toby Kebbell and Jodie Whittaker.

The premise is fiendishly intriguing: in the not-too-distant future, minute implants records everything that the implantee does, sees and hears.

As the implant offers the user the chance to rewatch past experiences again and again, Kebbell’s character soon finds himself scrutinising his relationship to breaking point.

According to Broadcast, “Downey Jr. is understood to have fought off competition from rivals including George Clooney to acquire the rights.”

It’s not yet clear if RDJ is angling for a role for himself in the adap, or if he’ll stay behind the scenes as a producer.

The general consensus in the Total Film office calls this segment the best of the first series. And with the second series starting on Channel 4 on Monday 11 February 2013, this news couldn’t be more timely.

I'm making my way through the whole 2 series, today. Oh my this show is bloody brilliant...

The ideas and themes it uses against social media and technology is remarkable.

I love they way they blend futuristic stuff into real life to make a very elegant and logical 'future'. This 'Be Right Back' episode is downright magnificent, really pushes "Spike Jonze's Her" boundaries.

Rankings;

1.3 (Downright sad but secretly the Re-Do tech is cool cool cool)
2.1 (Such of a tragic tale; Ms. Atwell is so awesome...)
2.2 (twist helped it a lot, but first viewing it felt too weird)
2.3 (Still don't full understand the political satire of this one outside of the on the nose aspects)

Last edited:
Mad Men's Jon Hamm to star in Black Mirror Christmas Special

The actor returns to TV for role in one-off episode of Charlie Brooker’s dystopian drama, where he will be joined by One Day’s Rafe Spall and Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin.

Jon Hamm will return to television as the lead in Charlie Brooker’s nightmarish dystopian drama Black Mirror.

The Mad Men star joins One Day’s Rafe Spall and Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin in a one-off 90-minute Christmas special, which promises to be “the most mind-bending episode yet, showcasing three interwoven stories of Yuletide techno-paranoia”, according to Channel 4.

Hamm has previously appeared on British television, having co-starred with Daniel Radcliffe in the Sky Arts drama A Young Doctor’s Notebook. His most famous role, that of Mad Men’s damaged executive Don Draper, is coming to an end in 2015, when the second part of the final season is due to air.

“I am beyond thrilled to be a part of the Black Mirror Christmas Special. I have been a massive fan of the show since its inception,” said Hamm in a statement.

“Its dark humour and intelligent observation of our society and values hooked me deeply as a viewer and I’m honoured that Charlie and the rest of the creative team have asked me to participate in wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas.”

Black Mirror will begin filming this week.

Black Mirror: White Christmas Trailer
[YT]/TDFcTmdQqIc[/YT]

Black Mirror is available on Netflix for you yanks

Beautiful; it's like the sequel of 'The Entire History of You' meets Truman Show meets Mad Men.

Netflix will be making a 12 episode Third Season of Black Mirror

Production starts this Fall with series creators and showrunners Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones returning.

The recent allegations against British Prime Minister David Cameron make Charlie Brooker look like a prophet with his 2011 episode The National Anthem.

Netflix locked the show down because before HBO's Michael Lombardo could get to it as he expressed interest in revving the show.

Last edited:
I love this show, can't wait for more. :up:

Deadline has reported that director Joe Wright will direct an episode of Black Mirror. Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World) and Alice Eve (Star Trek Into Darkness) will star in the episode.

Love this show! Every episode was top notch. Can't wait to see more.

Malachi Kirby (Roots) and Orange is the New Black's Madeline Brewer will star in an episode directed by Belgian TV director Jakob Verbruggen (House of Cards).

Love this show. The British make the best television!

Course, having Hayley on an episode does not hurt right Golgo ;)?

I'm kind of embarrassed about how few episodes of this I've seen. It's so punishing I need a long break in between viewings.

The director, main casts and titles of each episode have been revealed for the next season.

“San Junipero”, starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Mackenzie Davis, directed by Owen Harris

“Shut Up and Dance,” starring Jerome Flynn and Alex Lawther, directed by James Watkins

“Nosedive,” starring Bryce Dallas Howard, Alice Eve, and James Norton, directed by Joe Wright

“Men Against Fire,” starring Michael Kelly, Malachi Kirby, and Madeline Brewer, directed by Jakob Verbruggen

“Hated in the Nation,” starring Kelly MacDonald, directed by James Hawes

“Playtest,” starring Wyatt Russell and Hannah John-Kamen, directed by Dan Trachtenberg

Enjoyed Dan Trachtenberg's 10 Cloverfield Lane so I'm really interested in his episode.

Nice. I love the talent they're able to get with this amazing show. The John Hamm episode was f***ing brilliant.

I like the 'Pig-sex' ep myself. ;)

Looking forward to seeing Alice Eve next season.

Bumping this up with a Trailer and some news

Episode Descriptions don't click if you don't want to know

The third season of Black Mirror will premiere on October 21 and double the total episode count for the series. It will include the following episodes:

San Junipero – California, 1987: San Junipero is a fun-loving beach town synonymous with sun, surf, and sex. And for recent arrivals Yorkie (Mackenzie Davis) and Kelly (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), it’s going to be a life-changer…

Shut Up and Dance – When withdrawn 19-year-old Kenny (Alex Lawther) stumbles headlong into an online trap, he is quickly forced into an uneasy alliance with shifty Hector (Jerome Flynn) – both of them at the mercy of persons unknown. The episode is directed by James Watkins (The Woman In Black, Eden Lake).

Nosedive – Insecure office worker Lacie (Bryce Dallas Howard) lives in a happy, smiley, status-obsessed nightmare world. Her old friend Naomi (Alice Eve) is one of society’s elites — and Lacie may have found a way to join her… The episode is directed by Joe Wright (Hanna, Pan) and the only episode not written by series creator Charlie Brooker, it was scripted by Rashida Jones and Michael Schur.

Men Against Fire – A military story set in a post-war future, the episode sees a rookie soldier (Malachi Kirby) posted overseas, protecting frightened villagers from an infestation of vicious feral mutants alongside fellow soldier Raiman (Madeline Brewer). They’re hoping some new technological advantage will save them.

Hated in the Nation – A police detective (Kelly McDonald) and her geeky young sidekick investigate a string of grisly murders with a sinister link to social media. This will be the show’s first ever 90-minute episode.

Playtest – A thrill-seeking globetrotter (Wyatt Russell) visits Britain, hooks up with a woman (Hannah John-Kamen) and tests the latest in video game technology – “a device as mind-bendingly sophisticated as it is terrifying.” The episode is directed by 10 Cloverfield Lane‘s Dan Trachtenberg.

I'm pumped for Mackenzie Davis being in this.

The Bryce Dallas Howard episode has to be one of the most depressing things I've ever seen

It kind of ended on a good note. At least she found someone and no longer has to live in that nightmare of "happy land" anymore.

I saw a news article that they were releasing the first half of season 3 and watched the first two seasons over the past two days on Netflix. They've all been really good too. Most of them are fairly demented and it reminds me of another series called Darknet although Black Mirror isn't entirely all negative endings. It's very much in the same vein as this and I was hoping for more of it. Turns out this is equally as good and demented but without so many people having a bad end (and not interconnected like Darknet).

Shut Up and Dance was really kind of sick and twisted but not far from reality. Not to that extreme obviously though. And like any other case of blackmail it never ends well.

It took me a little time but I figured out San Junipero before the reveal of what was going on. That was another interesting concept. And it does bring up some good questions but I think the concept maybe was a little flawed. Still a good episode and the ending was upbeat (especially given the song playing).

Have the other three to go but I'll have to finish them later.

It kind of ended on a good note. At least she found someone and no longer has to live in that nightmare of "happy land" anymore.

The wedding scene was very cringe inducing but the ending was really funny. Brooker came up with the outline and concept for the episode. Rashida Jones and Parks and Recs creator Michael Schur wrote it.

The great thing about Black Mirror is that the concepts don't even seem that implausible. These things seem only a few steps removed from what is going on right now. Even the British Prime Minister shagging a pig turned out to be closer to reality than anyone ever imagined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"