Blast rips through U.S. Embassy in Athens

DarthRekal

Dodger Blue
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16587785/

Blast rips through U.S. Embassy in Athens

Police cordon off compound; unclear what caused explosion

BREAKING NEWS

ATHENS - An explosion ripped through the U.S. embassy compound in central Athens on Friday, a police source said.
It was not clear what caused the blast and there was no immediate word on whether there were any casualties.
Police cordoned off all roads around the embassy.
Police officials at the scene said that whatever caused the explosion damaged the official embassy sign outside the mission, but there was little other indication of the extent of damage inside.
This developing story will be updated as details become available.
Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

This developing story will be updated as details become available.
Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

:dry:

I really hope this isn't retaliation from Iran for raiding their embassay.

they're saying its an act of terrorism now..but dont know where it's from..

apparently a shell was fired from outside and landed and exploded in a toilet

"This is an act of terrorism. We don't know where from," Attica Police Chief Asimakis Golfis said. "There was a shell that exploded in the toilets of the building ... It was fired from street level."

Pretty convinent timing. Bush proposing an additional 22 thousand troops and it is being met with extreme backlash. Plus the fact that was raided an Iranian embassay. This could be bad.

In 2003, a special court gave multiple life sentences to November 17’s leader, chief assassin and three other members. Lesser sentences were given to 10 others.
In November last year, Greek riot police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators marching to the U.S. Embassy in Athens who chanted slogans including "Bush the butcher, out of Iraq" and "The USA is the real terrorist".
In February 1996, unidentified assailants fired a rocket at the U.S. Embassy compound in Athens, causing minor damage to three diplomatic vehicles and some surrounding buildings

turns out it was a rocket...no reports of injuries yet...

Funny, Greece have done nothing to involve themselves with Iraq, and I'm not entirely familiar with the whole November 17 story. I hope no one was hurt, to say I have family in Athens would be an understatement.

When 9-11 happened the whole world supported America. Bush turned the whole world against us when he invaded Iraq like they attacked us.

It exploded in a toilet...sources say it WASN'T a rocket.

Turns out, it was just Chimichanga Friday at the embassy

thank god it wasn't an important building like the parthanon or another classic gem:( modern buildings aren't worth the 3rd grade bricks they are made of

stop trying to impress ppl with your sophmoric appreciation for architecture. :down

It exploded in a toilet...sources say it WASN'T a rocket.

Turns out, it was just Chimichanga Friday at the embassy

I had a sensible post to make, but this made me laugh so much I can't remember it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"