Blu-ray's slow read speed causing problems AGAIN. Timeto upgrade that hard drive

hippy fascist

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-112187.aspx

Yup, that's the second game to require a 5gig install

This will probably become pretty standard as time goes on. So now you're basically faced with a choice. Either seriously cut down on the number of games you own or lay out for a new hard-drive

To all those people who laughed at microsoft for using DVD9, how many xbox games have required a massive install before simply being able to play...

Final Fantasy XI which no-one cares about anyway

Hmmm, notice hte common denominator is Capcom. They need to get their stuff together bc teh PS3 has been out for a little over a year and they are the only ones having such problems. There are other games which require install but nothing that extreme. The problem is Capcom. I dont see this being a standard as time goes on as I dont see why it would be.

Thats why I mentioned that other games have required an install. Ratchet and Clank's install is 417mb. Thats really not a big deal. Now if it was 5gb, then I would be more inclined to agree with you

I dont have Oblivion but from what I read it installs data in the background as you play. Its not pop in disc, wait for several minutes and then play. And that game does apparently significantly decrease load times unlike DMC4 so its a plus.

I have a large drive so it really doesnt affect me but yeah it can suck. Fortunetly many games give you the option

What I don't get is, if Uncharted didn't require anything near as much as 5GB, why do these 2 games need it?

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-112187.aspx

Yup, that's the second game to require a 5gig install

This will probably become pretty standard as time goes on. So now you're basically faced with a choice. Either seriously cut down on the number of games you own or lay out for a new hard-drive

To all those people who laughed at microsoft for using DVD9, how many xbox games have required a massive install before simply being able to play...

Final Fantasy XI which no-one cares about anyway
This is a Capcom problem not a Blu-Ray problem. Just like EA, they are still trying to learn the tech. Have any facts to support the bolded other than two Capcom games? As stated earlier R&C was only 417mb, no biggie. This whole thread is flame bait.
Tsk,Tsk,Tsk.:nono:

I have a 120GB hard drive so I don't care about installs, LOL. :woot:

I have a 120GB hard drive so I don't care about installs, LOL. :woot:

I HAVE A 250GB INTERNAL AND A 250GB EXTERNAL, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 500GB HDD, SO I TOO CONQUER WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT!!!:o;):D:D:D:up:

To be honest about the only company I know who has been doing this is Capcom. When you've got games out there doing much more and pushing a lot more data around than Lost Planet, and Lost Planet requires an install that's practically the size of the game itself, that just seems like taking an easy shortcut.

For 60 gig and up, this isn't a big deal, but for the 20-40? Um yeah.

^^^^IA. I dont know what the hell Capcom are doign with LP that they have to resort to this. Uncharted had alot more to that game, and not only did it not have to install any data on the HDD, but once the game was started, there were virtually no load times. How the heck was Naughty Dog able to do this, yet we have Capcom struggling with a game like LP?

Because Capcom is lazy and just wants to make moolah as fast as they can.

2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s))
12x DVD-Rom Drive SL (9.25MB/S-15.85MB/s(AVG ~8x(10.57MB/s) DL (4.36MB/s-10.57MB/s(AVG ~6x(7.93MB/s)

on a dual layer DVD the 360 reads most of the data on a disc slower than the PS3 reads blurays.

so i guess capcom's got other problems. probably saved themselves some optimisation time, since the 360 drive would have better seek times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"