Bought vs. Thought Round 2 - April 18, 2012

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So I decided to make an already HUGE week for me even HUGER! My not so secret frustrations at Marvel have only grown over the past few months and I started thinking... why am I frustrated at their overpricing and oversaturation and then dropping non-Marvel books to compensate? So a couple weeks ago I went out and got caught up on Grifter, a book I dropped only because of funds and not because I disliked it and I'm glad I did. It's a good book. So today I was at the shop, had extra cash, and decided to do it again. This time I got caught up on Swamp Thing. It's darker than I typically like but something about it draws me. I like it and plan to continue with it, and for now on, unless it's a DC book I'm just not enjoying (and there's a couple near that range), all cuts are coming through Marvel.

Now, on to reviews:

Red Hood and the Outlaws 8 - This is one of those books on the fringe. I like all the characters and the story so far but there's just something about this title that makes me go "ho hum." I like it AS I read it but when I'm done I don't think much about it. I told myself I'll give it up through Court of Owls and decide after that what to do. That's next issue and we'll see how it turns out.

Great simple scene with Tim Drake toward the end that I thought was well done. I like that there's a connection between him and Jason that's almost a secret friendship, or at least a thing of mutual respect.

Batman 8 - Still one of my favorite books! The Owls attack and they start with a massive attack on Wayne Manor, which is pretty awesome. We learn that the Talons are attacking 40 big wigs of Gotham and the call is given to the Bat-Family to defend them. This is a story that honestly feels epic and I love that. My biggest fear though is that they're going to drag this Court of Owls thing out to the point of overexhaustion. I hope not but we'll see. Night of the Owls begins with a bang, much better than AvsX did, and I'm really hoping this event overtakes AvsX on the sales charts.

Nightwing 8 - Technically a prelude to Night of the Owls but it's about the same as Batman 8. Higgins pulls a lot of history from his and Snyder's mini, the Gates of Gotham and I loved that mini so i thought it was cool. We learn of a boy from the Gates of Gotham time period who lost his father due to the events of that mini. He joins Haley's Circus, which we now know is a training ground for the Court's Talons, and in the end that boy is a Talon attacking Nightwing and the Mayor.

It was a good story and I'm curious to see how it ends. I think Higgins has been knocking it out of the ballpart with this title. I became a fan of Nightwing due to his stint as Batman and I'm glad I followed him here. I'm loving this title.

Justice League 8 - Another book that's on the fringe for me. In this issue Green Arrow does his best to impress the League so they'd let him in but they constantly say no, despite Superman's interest. He gets frustrated and JLA wrangler Steve Trevor offers him a spot in some other team that's being formed (as directed by the government). We don't know what that team is yet but Ollie jumps at the chance. The more interesting thing though is what we learn regarding WHY the League won't let anyone new join their ranks. Apparently the last time they did it it turned out badly. Turn the page and we see the League going to war against the Martian Manhunter. Now I've not read Stormwatch but that's got me really interested. Between this and Midnighter's guest stint in Grifter I kinda wish I'd have given that book a shot.

The back up is the second part of the Shazam story. Billy shows up at his new home where we see other adopted kids, including Mary and Freddie (the only two my limited knowledge recognized). Not much happens but the story moves forward. Curious where it goes.

All in all it was a fine issue but nothing magical. I'll be on for a little while longer at least.

Uncanny X-Force 24 - Finally, we're away from Otheworld and the artist of that arc and I already like the book 10X's better. Sadly, I don't like the ending of this issue though. I always liked AoA Iceman and when he went bad I thought he'd make an amazing villain for the X-World. This issue also shows that as Wolverine helps Kurt go after his former friend who betrayed everyone. I was sad to see Kurt succeed in killing AoA Iceman but my hope is that this version of Iceman has absolute control of his body and that his being burned in a furnace only makes him mist which he can reform from. Here's hoping anyway.

This was a nice done-in-one story that wrapped up one dangling plot from the Dark Angel saga. Next issue starts the next big epic arc and I'm excited for it. This is a fantastic title that's lulled a bit since the ending of the Dark Angel Saga but here's hoping it gets back on track now that the Otherworld arc is over.

X-Men 27 - I've not fully decided but this might be the last issue of this title that I get for a while. I've really only been interested in the Jubilee plot and this wraps that up with her leaving the X-Men to remain with the Forgiven. The story itself was decent but nothing spectacular. If there were less X-Men books I'd likely be more excited about this but there's just too many of them. I'm not as interested in this team as others and with how many books I buy I do need to make cuts. Chances are this title's going to fall to a "by the story" buy for me. Next issue with Skrulls doesn't really interest me so I'll likely pass that one like I did the previous arc with War Machine. Gischler's leaving the title soon. I might give it a legit try when the new writer comes on but we'll see.

X-Factor 234 - Jamie Madrox, the man who sleeps with every girl on his team, is back and it causes some issues. He irons things out pretty quickly with Havoc but the biggest issues are between Monet and Layla. I enjoyed their spat and the reasonings for it and it really opens the door for some interesting character development for the two down the road. And I don't really care about the devil chick but the Isolationist was a very intersting character and I'm curious what's going on with him.

This is a book that I've dropped 3 times due to price issues but I'm back for the long haul I think. I think David's pick up the quality again and, despite the much over populated cast, the stories are interesting. Good stuff.

Defenders 5 - Another fringe book but one I'll stick with at least through the Prince of Orphans storyline coming up. This title has parts that bore me to tears and parts that really interest me. I loved the first issue, hated the next two, dropped it, came back and loved issue 4 and now this issue bored me again. Next issue is Iron Fist and judging from the last page of this issue and the future solicits I'm real curious where it goes.

If not for Iron Fist this title would be dropped but since it looks like he's going to be getting a heavy focus from here on out I'll stick with it. He lacks or leaves the team and I'm gone. This title has until the conclusion of the Prince of Orphans deal, then it's make or break.

Avengers 25 - Another Eh issue of adjectiveless Avengers. I'm honestly very close to just dropping this title despite the AvsX tie-ins. Bendis does a horrible job with Storm yet again and the story isn't even that interesting. The only thing that's got me even remotely interested in this book is whatever is going on with Protector. Chances are I'll stick witht he title through AvsX and after that it'll depend on what news we get about what's coming after Bendis. Most likely scenerio though, the entire Avengers line is getting dropped. We'll see.

Wolverine & the X-Men 9 - These tie-ins have been very underwhelming but at least this one was decent. We see Wolverine and Beast's point of view of the Phoenix coming with the humor that Aaron's known for in this title. The most interesting thing for me though was the scene between Husk and Toad and then the final pages with Gladiator coming to Earth to save his son's life. I'm excited for that!

Heh, and Beast's "fleas" made me laugh pretty good :)

Bachelo's art isn't his best or his worst here so it's at least tolerable and not distracting. I wish Bradshaw were on the book monthly but at least Bachelo's giving us good work. He's not hiding the plot with junky panels and overcrowded backdrops at least. Eager for more Bradshaw though.

Avengers vs. X-Men 2 - Yeah, I didn't like this issue as much as last issue (and I wasn't exactly jumping for joy at that one either). This issue does nothing but set up battles with rediculous descriptions about how awesome they are. It was pretty stupid to be honest. Cyclops' lines were rediculous and Hope taking out the Lights felt wierd. I don't know, I'm just very uninterested in this stage of the event. It just feels obligated and uninterested. It could be Bendis' writing or Romita's pencils but I'm just not caring much. I'm VERY intersted in what's coming after this stage but this is just dragging along. Then again, with Bendis, Fraction, and Brubaker at the helm we know this is a 7 issue storyline dragged out to 12 issues. It's to be expected. Here's hoping it picks up.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Nightwing 8 - I loved the Gates of Gotham mini and the ties here made it a real treat for me to read. I found the backstory interesting and just realy enjoy the issue in whole.

Worst: Avengers vs. X-Men 2 - I just didn't care a lick about this issue. Eager for the next one to move on.

Yeah, I can't decide how I feel about Defenders either. I literally bounce back and forth from thinking "I so need to drop this book" to "this is the most awesome team ever".

I'm kinda thinking it has to do with the actual plots. Fraction's providing a lot of good characterization and concepts, but he's yet to really bring it all together into a big, epic as good as the characters that are involved.

Here's hoping he does it soon as the book really does have the potential to be of a Secret Avengers or Uncanny X-Force level of creativity and originality.

Yeah, I can't decide how I feel about Defenders either. I literally bounce back and forth from thinking "I so need to drop this book" to "this is the most awesome team ever".

I'm kinda thinking it has to do with the actual plots. Fraction's providing a lot of good characterization and concepts, but he's yet to really bring it all together into a big, epic as good as the characters that are involved.

Here's hoping he does it soon as the book really does have the potential to be of a Secret Avengers or Uncanny X-Force level of creativity and originality.

Really, it feels like he has this great eclectic group heroes that could really be a power team but the threats and plots have been just boring. The first arc was painful. I mean, John Prester as the main villain? And nothing's really come against them since. The book was a dead one for me until I saw July's solicits. That's got me interested and I'll buy until them at least but I'm almost hoping this book gets canceled (and it will with the sales it's getting). I wouldn't miss it any.

could have started defenders up with a better villain

Yeah. I should probably just drop it. It's a shame a better writer isn't on the book.

Anyway, here's a few quick reviews for me...

Incredible Hulk #7 - Y'know, I've been one of the few souls who've kinda been enjoying Aaron's Hulk. The art's been horrible, without question, but I've liked the whole concept of Bruce going mad by not having the Hulk inside him. However, this issue just came off as being pretty wholly unnecessary and boring. I get that it was trying to be like a "send off" issue to Bruce, but given we all know he'll be back in about a month and a half, all of the ground they covered in the issue just came off as trite and unimportant. Doctor Doom was cool, though.

Uncanny X-Force #24 - Phil Noto is a VERY welcomed change from Tucchini's awfulness, but outside of the much improved art, I wasn't too crazy about this issue. There was nothing wrong with it - the characterization was strong, it had a few funny character moments ("me love you long time"), but ultimately - like Hulk - it was really little more than an epilogue issue. I'm sure I'll enjoy #25 much more.

Wolverine and the X-Men #9 - Was honestly probably the only legitimately great book I've read this week. It was very much an AvX tie in, but Aaron did an amazing job telling the story in a way that made it seem fresh, relevant, and a strong stand alone story in its own right. I'm not reading AvX, but I had no problem following this issue, and I've even become quite intrigued about how it will all play out in the pages of WatXM. I just hope when all's said and done, it's involvement with AvX won't make the overall arc seem choppy or incomplete.

What CConn said on the books he posted are how I feel, but I also have read a few more:

- Justice League #8: This is the first issue of the series that I actually ended up really hating. Way to totally botch up the Martian Manhunter in the New 52 *******s. The Curse of Shazam backup is also pretty bad.

- Avengers vs. X-Men #2: Meh, I'm really only buying this simply because the books I'm buying tie into it and I don't want to be confused as **** when I'm reading them. It's better than I expected, but then, I had some really low expectations to begin with. But I guess expecting total crap as opposed to something that is just alright deserves some credit.

- Batman #8: Batman continues to be one of the top books in the New 52, and unlike previous Batman crossovers in the past, I'm actually genuinely excited for this one. Also, the backup strip was pretty awesome as well.

- Nightwing #8: Best issue of the series so far. I love how Higgins is drawing back on the Gates of Gotham era.

Punisher #11: I'm loving this story so far. Waid and Rucka really nail Spidey, DD and the Punisher. I'm alos loving how seargent Cole is developing as a character, can't wait to see what becomes of her. Best part of the issue:

Spidey (to Punisher): Hey honey, miss me?

Punisher: I wasn't aiming at you.

Spidey: Wait, did you just---?

Can't wait for part 3 next week!

I agree, the Omega Effect has been incredible so far. The art this week by Checchetto was damn near flawless.

Avengers vs. X-Men 2 - Yeah, I didn't like this issue as much as last issue (and I wasn't exactly jumping for joy at that one either). This issue does nothing but set up battles with rediculous descriptions about how awesome they are. It was pretty stupid to be honest. Cyclops' lines were rediculous and Hope taking out the Lights felt wierd. I don't know, I'm just very uninterested in this stage of the event. It just feels obligated and uninterested. It could be Bendis' writing or Romita's pencils but I'm just not caring much. I'm VERY intersted in what's coming after this stage but this is just dragging along. Then again, with Bendis, Fraction, and Brubaker at the helm we know this is a 7 issue storyline dragged out to 12 issues. It's to be expected. Here's hoping it picks up.

Couldn't agree more....the writing came off as so juvenile imo...It was like watching pre-teen Avengers VS pre-teen X-men.

I also agree Batman has been great so far.

The only thing I didn't understand and maybe you guys can help me is why in AvX #2 when Cyclops was constantly getting hit in the head with a Vibranium Shield did he not at least pass out or something?

Well, if he went down with one shot from Cap's shield the event would end pretty quickly wouldn't it?

Avengers vs. X-men 2: If this is the only issue that deals exclusively with hero on hero brawls than I don't mind this issue. It was inevitable, but wasn't horrible. I liked Cyclops calling Wolverine the "lunatic fringe," Emma and Iron Man's exchange, and Hope manifesting the Phoenix. I didn't like the repetitive and petty back-and-forth between Cyclops and Cap. The art was fine, I thought Hope looked quite good. 6.8/10

Wolverine and the X-men 9: Another fantastic issue! While I'm still annoyed with Wolverine's position in this event, at least it was fleshed out better. I really like how Aaron continues to write Beast, and was really happy to see Cannonball get some lines. He's one of my favourites, but has such a marginal role even in Legacy. The art was dynamic and full of life! I especially liked the rendering of the Phoenix when Rachel and Quinten felt its presence (and hey! a reference to others having the force). 9.2/10

X-Factor 234: I've been iffy with this title for a while now, but my only complaint this issue is the huge cast (which will be my consistent complaint lol). I love the character development in each other, but its just so inconsistent in terms of which characters get focus. While Jamie is the anchor, and this issue had nice Layla and Monet moments, everyone else is marginalized. Theres no need to have Longshot there if he doesn't do anything! I shouldn't be complaining this much, because I actually liked this issue and felt the writing and the art was top quality this week. 8.0/10

The Defenders 5: I like Namor and Iron Fist, so I'll continue reading, though I was disappointed by how bored i was during this issue. The art didn't help, and i was just indifferent throughout it. Meh, hope it gets better. 5.0/10

Quite a hefty week, let's get on with the spoilers.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 4/18/12:

BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #3: This part relaunch of DC's official BATMAN BEYOND comic from last year, and part reprint of digital content seems to have become an anthology as of this issue. It now has three strips running through it with three different creative teams; Batman Beyond himself isn't even the lead strip this month! In the end, this doesn't mind as all of the strips are engaging and well drawn, even though it was a surprise to me when I took this issue out of my pull bag and saw Superman (from the Beyond year of 2040 or 2050).

The 21 page lead Superman Beyond strip is written by J.T. Krul - the writer who made Red Arrow a cybernetic drug addict who utilized a dead cat as a weapon - and drawn by Howard Porter. It establishes the Superman of this future reality as a bit of a nostalgic relic whose life is hollow now that he has outlived everyone he loved and not as vitally needed in Metropolis due to the advanced technology of the local cops. His "Fortress Of Solitude" has become a museum of plenty of earth relics (including Superman's old costumes like his "electric" suit) and an attempt to stop a melee at Metrpolis' port sees Superman reduced to damage control once the new armored cops show up. The bit that I did like is while Superman is surprised to see these new "super cops", they aren't depicted as being menaces in waiting or even are very aggressive; they're humble and see Superman as a peer, and everyone works together. Meanwhile, a sassy downtrodden urban girl discovers that she's Lex Luthor's long lost heir - and this fact is obvious almost from the moment the girl is seen on panel for the first time. If the story has any flaw, it is that it is difficult to combine the sullen, at times sulking and nostalgic Superman that Krul rights with the up front leader of the Justice League Unlimited by Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nguyen. One could argue that Superman likely hides these things from others and if anything, his JLU missions are his most fulfilling moments now - although it does seem odd to sulk about being lonely yet exist on a team with seven peers, but I digress. The JLU strip is mostly exposition in which the recently liberated Amanda Waller spells out the big plan that Kobra has hatched, which involved raiding her memories about various secrets and brainwashing Micron into being their agent. Their plan is to resurrect some massive serpentine monster to remake the world - standard fare. The middle ten page strip is the titular Batman Beyond strip, which continues Norm Beechen and Norm Breyfogle's story about Mad Stan's war with some Russian arms dealers. Mad Stan is alive and pissed that his dealers have robbed him blind, and them kidnapping his pooch has incited him to city-destructive plans with his bombs. Meanwhile, Terry's ex Dana Tan has finally revealed to Terry that her long lost brother is a psycho Jokerz gang member, and Max continues to attempt to tell her about her dangerous dealings with a worldwide hacking crime syndicate, but things always get in the way. Breyfogle's art is terrific and really matches the style and tone of the TV series and the stories Beechen is telling.

I imagine this anthology format may allow the artists to be better able to maintain a schedule since they rarely have to produce 20-22 pages within roughly 4 weeks. This title has surprisingly become the title that I anticipate the most from DC right now; it has been more consistently satisfying to me than ACTION COMICS or JLI, the other two DC books I get (after dropping BLUE BEETLE after 2 issues). This naturally leads me to fret about sales figures; in March the second issue sold 23,570 copies - better than AVENGERS ACADEMY which I also like but also below some other DC books which face the axe. One boon as most of this comic merely reprints material intended for digital sale, and thus print sales are a bonus. At any rate, this series doesn't get a lot of recognition and now features not one but TWO of the most hated writers DC seems to have, yet I usually find the output to be good. Heck, I find this an IMPROVEMENT from the BEYOND series from 2011 and feel I am getting my money's worth from it.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO-SERIES #4: Writer Brian Lynch continues his essential sister series to the core Eastman and Duncan Ninja Turtle series with IDW. Paying homage to the one-shot tales from Mirage Publishing from the mid 1980's, this 4th issue stars Leonardo in an action packed battle against the Foot Clan. Teamed for art is Ross Campbell, who not only drew some covers for Mirage Studios several years ago for their Turtle comics, but would have drawn a TMNT series for Dark Horse back when that company was seeking this license (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/15/ross-campbell-unpublished-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-art/). While some issues work better alongside the core series than others, this issue very much picks up from TMNT #8 from the end of March. Splinter has been kidnapped by Old Hob and Leonardo storms off to find him, and winds up attacked by Foot Ninja as well as their leader - who isn't wearing funk armor but seems to ultimately become the Shredder. This issue naturally shows Leo's perspective in regards to the new idea that the Turtles are the reincarnation of a family from feudal Japan - with their ancient enemies having returned. Campbell's art is an acquired taste, closer to illustration than many other comic book pencilers; it is colored by Jay Fotos. This is a simple issue, but an effective one which has a lot of action and lays in the ground work for future TMNT comics.

SUPER-DINOSAUR #10: Robert Kirkman and Jason Howard continue their "all ages" tale about super genius kids and sentient dinosaurs in armor which seems to be a shout out to the spirit of Saturday morning cartoons. At this juncture I find this book to be in an interesting place; while the story still has twists and turns, it hasn't entered the realm of "anything for a shock" which INVINCIBLE seems to have entered (for better or worse). In fairness, this is partly because SD is 81 issues behind INVINCIBLE, but I also wonder if the intended audience is also a factor in how Kirkman plots the series. This series still has one of Kirkman's narrative tropes - the male mentor who winds up involved in something villainous. This time it is nothing as graphic and extreme as the revelations in INVINCIBLE and ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN, but close enough. Derek Dynamo's father Dr. Dynamo has gone rogue and liberated his arch nemesis Max Maximus from prison in exchange for regaining his long lost wife - who was apparently captured against Derek's knowledge. Derek meets with the Exile in his holding cell and learns that he's apparently a member of naturally born dinosaur men from the center of the earth who dislike that humanity has flourished above them so long. This leaves Super-Dino himself as well as Erin (who now has her own robot called Pixie) to battle Tricerichops and her dino-men (who are artificially created, unlike Exile's people). Things naturally seem to go wrong as SD is using inferior armor and Erin's very inexperienced in battle. The issue ends with one of those cliffhangers in which none of the three interwoven stories are going well for the leads, which makes for a good commercial break in between bowls of cereal. While I believe Kirkman when he states that "all ages" isn't "dumbed down", I do wonder if that target audience will cause him to be slightly lighter in tone and more grounded in plot than he has become on INVINCIBLE lately (where the ghosts of subplots past often fade from panel for years), which may help SD remain in peak form overall. Sales on SD are atrociously bad for a Kirkman comic, and even for so-called "Kiddie books" - at under 5,000 copies in March, it was easily outsold by DC's YOUNG JUSTICE tie-in comic, the 5th or 6th reprint of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 and even John Bryne's NEXT MEN relaunch at IDW. While SKYBOUND is basically an Image imprint run entirely by Robert Kirkman as his personal playhouse and he's earned plenty from his TV shows to cover loses, but surely a comic this far down on the Top 300 list (comic #266 to be exact in March) can't be long for this world. ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN from these two lasted 25 issues, and even with a bi-monthly schedule for most of it's run was selling far above this by issue ten. While this is hardly my favorite comic every month, it rarely outright disappoints me, which is more than I can say about many other comics.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #684: Both AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and AVENGERS VS. X-MEN (Marvel's event du jour) have a bi-weekly shipping schedule, which means they seem to be coming out on the same weeks lately. It is often typical that at the same time that Marvel Comics is throwing their promotional and editorial gusto behind one major crossover event, a smaller, more concise and better written "epic storyline" will be appearing elsewhere. The epic space saga ANNIHILATION was a brilliant alternative to CIVIL WAR in 2006, for example. Last year, ASM offered SPIDER-ISLAND as an exceptional alternative to the lackluster FEAR ITSELF affair. Ever since 2008, ASM has been capable of seeing a boost in sales due to an eagerly anticipated storyline, and this is a trend which has continued since writer Dan Slott has become the sole narrative voice (with a few rare fill-in issues or co-written issues) on the series since November 2010. This year, Slott's web-slinging alternative to the major crossover rot is ENDS OF THE EARTH, a story which sees the Sinister Six make their best go at world takeover so their leader Dr. Octopus can die in style. To this end, Doc Ock has utilized his genius and loads of stolen technology and other gadgets to surround the planet with machines which can advance - or reverse - the effects of global warming. Ock has used his devices to bully the world into allowing him to "fix" the environmental damage done to the earth in the name of dying as a messiah instead of a villain. Naturally, Spider-Man doesn't buy it and rallies his Avengers teammates against the villains.

In the previous issue, Spider-Man was clad in his "Anti-Sinister Six" armor and backed up by a roster of the best Avengers - but failed to defeat more than one of the Six. Having lost round one, old Spidey ally Silver Sable proves to be a critical factor causing both sides to retreat, although not without the Six taking some heroic hostages. The idea of Spider-Man teaming up with the similarly named Black Widow for an extended period makes a lot of sense, yet is something which hasn't seemed to have happened terribly often. As Spidey attempts to jerry rig his armor to improve upon it's flaws to attempt to one-up Octopus, the aforementioned villains ups the stakes by attempting to secure pardons and a king's ransom for his villainous allies. As the cover depicts, the climax of this issue involves a showdown with Sandman, former member of Silver Sable's team of mercenaries (the Wild Pack), in the middle of his element in the Sahara Desert. How can the web-slinger possibly prevail against the most powerful incarnation of Sandman yet? As usual, with his brilliant mind - a detail Slott has made sure to highlight in his run, which will see a second anniversary this year.

Humberto Ramos begins his stint in the rotation as one of ASM's trio of regular artists, flanked by Victor Olazaba on inks and Edgar Delgado on colors. He is a much different artist than Stefano Caselli, who drew the previous two issues of this saga, but Slott knows how to cater to his strengths. Ramos seems more at home with bizarre creatures and armored beings, which allows him to go wild with Sandman in a desert in a manner which puts "THE MUMMY" to shame. Spider-Man's new armor is hardly the least complicated design, yet Ramos works with it quite well.

Perhaps the best element of Slott's stories is that he is a master at mixing comedy with drama, suspense with slapstick, and one-liners with action. This is a story which can treat Spider-Man designing a new suit of armor as a serious plot point as well as have another character mock Spidey's increasingly frequent habit of swapping costumes, and can get away with it. Much like in SPIDER-ISLAND, Spidey is teamed with two heroines to battle his enemies - only instead of it being cast members like Carlie Cooper and Mary-Jane Watson, it's Widow and Sable. It continues to be shame that the new "swinging single" web-slinger seems unable to have even a fleeting romance with another costumes heroine, but that's an editorial criticism, and a digression. The story utilizes both recent continuity like the alliance with Horizon scientist Grady Scraps from the start of the year to Sable and Sandman being teammates from over 15 years ago.

Every issue of this story ups the stakes and leaves one wanting more - the fact that the next issue is only a fortnight away still seems too long. This story respects the intelligence, sense of humor and memories of its audience, as well as that of the characters within. The fact that Doc Ock's end game is still a bit of a mystery keeps the suspense ramped up. This arc is essential action packed Spider-Man action, which is not to be missed.

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #2: The previous issue, written by Brian M. Bendis (and co-written by four other writers) established the reason for the titular brawl. This issue, scripted by Jason Aaron and still drawn by John Romita Jr., has the brawl happen. Not much else happens. Various X-Men line up against various Avengers, and all with some awkward narration boxes setting up the score. Aaron's tone for them is either intentionally melodramatic or unintentionally hilarious; akin to an over the top wrestling announcer. "The most expensive punch in history", claims one, for example. Other bits seem to be ignorant of how often this sort of thing happens in comics; "the bonds forever broken" proclaims one panel, forgetting that barely six years ago CIVIL WAR accomplished a similar hero vs. hero turf war. Then there are other odd power moments; Namor is able to effortlessly sock the Thing away, but is supposed to be fazed by Luke Cage, who is half Thing's strength, WHILE IN THE OCEAN. This continues to boil down into a pissing match between Cyclops and Captain America which makes both look like clods, and only the final pages seem to promise something better. Nothing great, nothing horrid; this is a thuddingly average fare.

DEFENDERS #5: The era of fill-in artists on this series by Matt Fraction continues; Terry Dodson will officially be off the series as regular artist as of issue #7 (James McCelvie will replace him), even if he continues to handle cover art. While the previous issue was a very engaging look at Dr. Strange, this issue comes off more like a cold fish focusing on Namor. I've said a few times that Fraction has seemed to channel many of the things the prior DEFENDERS comics have been known for - focus on the supernatural and far out bizarre adventures being the forefront. The downside of that channeling is he has seemed to channel the DEFENDERS' old flaw of seemingly aimless one shot tales into obscure bits. Namor has found a long lost section of ancient Atlantis which bares the same symbolism as the cosmic Maguffin which has sparked this series, and summoned assistance from his Defenders allies to investigate. It is actually Silver Surfer who bursts it open, unleashing a long lost race of squid-like female warriors - perhaps one of those "lost tribes of Atlantis" that Jonathan Hickman missed in his FANTASTIC FOUR run. After a brief fight for obligatory purposes, they swim off to make their destiny in the modern world, and Namor doesn't stop them because he feels the ocean's big enough for everyone. They instead seem to choose a "war with the surface dwellers" mentality that Namor had for much of the 20th century. There is also a odd bit where Fraction seems to suggest that either Namor's real father was Captain Nemo from "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA", or that Namor McKenzie was the inspiration for it. This wouldn't seem to work as that book was written in 1870, and every prior story has claimed Namor was conceived in 1920. Does this mean that Namor's mother lied about who Namor's real father was and Namor's about fifty years older? The art is by Mitch & Bettie Breitweiser, and while the color work is great, the line work appears a bit sketchy and rushed at times. The issue ends with Danny Rand and Misty Knight having a get together - which Danny sees as romantic and Misty appears to be merely taking in - which leads to the next issue focusing on Rand and the Immortal Weapons. That issue seems better than this one is; definitely a worrying issue for $3.99 a pop.

THE PUNISHER #10: Marvel's brief crossover story, "THE OMEGA EFFECT", reaches its middle point in this issue, which is written by Greg Rucka (PUNISHER's regular writer) alongside Mark Waid (who writes DAREDEVIL). This picks up the story from AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #6 last week, DAREDEVIL #10.1 the week prior, and the DAREDEVIL run in general since the recent issue five. Daredevil and Spider-Man have formed an unholy alliance with the Punisher and his new partner Sgt. Rachel Cole-Alves to win a battle against five major crime organizations over the titular Omega Drive. It is a treasure trove of data stored on some stolen Fantastic Four technology which Spidey would like to see returned to Mr. Fantastic, Daredevil wants to see destroyed without he or his allies being caught up in a gang war, and the Punisher wants to use to kill criminals better. This issue is high on tension and light on action (compared to the previous issue), but Waid and Rucka make that work gloriously. Unlike in far too many team-ups with Wolverine lately, bother writers remember that Spider-Man is supposed to abhor lethal vigilantes and considers them criminals; he spends the entire issue hounding Punisher. While Daredevil feels similarly, he is more willing to work alongside Punisher when he must, albeit with his own stipulations. The Punisher himself is a stoic figure, rarely doing more than talking in essential dialogue if that; the more emotional side of his crusade is depicted with Rachel, who is new to it. The art by Marco Checchetto and Matt Hollingsworth (colors) continues on rare form as the issue ends with a predictable double-cross but a nonetheless effective cliffhanger. Despite requiring DD fans to shell out for two extra issues of other books, this crossover ends next week, and knowing when to exit a stage gracefully is a skill more crossovers - and comic book stories in general, frankly - should learn.

BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 4/18/12: Part Two of Two

THUNDERBOLTS #173: Jeff Parker has this title - technically - for another two issues before it changes into DARK AVENGERS with him and his same two rotating artists aboard. This gives him another issue to wrap-up his long term time travel plot with his cast of T-Bolts; some of whom have been on the books for years and are set to vacate. In this issue, the modern escaped Thunderbolts run into their prior selves from the late 90's - when the T-Bolts were still the Masters Of Evil playing a charade on the public and before Jolt joined them. This is Declan Shalvey's issue and as usual he does a great job on art. Most of the issue focuses on the battle, and the dilemma of having counterparts of characters learn about their future selves (namely Moonstone and Fixer/Techno), as well as Zemo. Any hope of maintaining a time/space continuum is blown apart from the fight, and especially by the cliffhanger when Fixer kills his past self. I like how there is a debate about whether this jaunt would effect the "core" timeline or not, and historically in Marvel it won't; time travel tends to create alternate timelines most of the time. Definitely and interesting issue with some decent character moments - and I like that Mr. Hyde isn't a jobber anymore - although the fact that this incarnation of the run seems to have a time limit makes be wonder how Parker will wrap it up organically.

VENOM #16: After focusing a great chunk of his run on crossover tie-in's from SPIDER-ISLAND and the "CIRCLE OF FOUR" attempted saving throw for X-23, GHOST RIDER, and HULK, Rick Remender is now back to furthering his own ideas for this series. Flash Thompson/Agent Venom is now a Secret Avenger instead of a military agent, and while he is still bonded to the symbiote like a drug and broken up from Betty Brant, he has more control over his actions in theory - assuming Hank Pym and Beast didn't forget to carry a one. This issue sees Kev Walker, one of the two rotating artists on THUNDERBOLTS fill in for a rather tense suspense thriller issue revolving around what seems to be a simple prisoner transport. Venom has been assigned to guard the transport of the Human Fly, a gross serial killer he apprehended at the start of VENOM #5 alongside some Mandroid agents. The Fly talks about owning a debt to the Kingpin and his son being in jeopardy, and begs to be released or at least for Venom to tend to his son. Thompson isn't quick to believe him, but the situation becomes more intense when he is told that one of the Mandroids is a Kingpin assassin sent to kill the Fly - and the man who told Thompson THAT turns out to be Hobgoblin himself! This leads to a complicated three way brawl where nobody seems to be what they think they are. Walker's art is benefited by the monstrous characters and the color work by Chris Sotomayor and the issue is quite stunning to behold. The arc seems to be a formation of a Savage Six of villains to plague Venom, and I am looking forward to Remender not having to deal with editorial crossovers for a bit and focus on his own VENOM series, which is often very strong. Marvel currently celebrates Venom's 24th anniversary by publishing one of the best comics to bare the character's name while debuting the worst animated version of the character (and Flash Thompson) on Disney XD via "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" - quite a contrast indeed. At any rate, the Spider-office seems to have some quality books coming out these days with ASM and two spin-offs, with this being one of the shining example.

THE PUNISHER #10: Marvel's brief crossover story, "THE OMEGA EFFECT", reaches its middle point in this issue, which is written by Greg Rucka (PUNISHER's regular writer) alongside Mark Waid (who writes DAREDEVIL). This picks up the story from AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #6 last week, DAREDEVIL #10.1 the week prior, and the DAREDEVIL run in general since the recent issue five. Daredevil and Spider-Man have formed an unholy alliance with the Punisher and his new partner Sgt. Rachel Cole-Alves to win a battle against five major crime organizations over the titular Omega Drive. It is a treasure trove of data stored on some stolen Fantastic Four technology which Spidey would like to see returned to Mr. Fantastic, Daredevil wants to see destroyed without he or his allies being caught up in a gang war, and the Punisher wants to use to kill criminals better. This issue is high on tension and light on action (compared to the previous issue), but Waid and Rucka make that work gloriously. Unlike in far too many team-ups with Wolverine lately, bother writers remember that Spider-Man is supposed to abhor lethal vigilantes and considers them criminals; he spends the entire issue hounding Punisher. While Daredevil feels similarly, he is more willing to work alongside Punisher when he must, albeit with his own stipulations. The Punisher himself is a stoic figure, rarely doing more than talking in essential dialogue if that; the more emotional side of his crusade is depicted with Rachel, who is new to it. The art by Marco Checchetto and Matt Hollingsworth (colors) continues on rare form as the issue ends with a predictable double-cross but a nonetheless effective cliffhanger. Despite requiring DD fans to shell out for two extra issues of other books, this crossover ends next week, and knowing when to exit a stage gracefully is a skill more crossovers - and comic book stories in general, frankly - should learn.

I'm enjoying the Omega crossover so much I could live with it being 6 issues instead of the three. It's been that good. There was some terrific interaction between Spidey and Punisher and more so between DD and Rachel. I love how DD feels like he failed Frank by being unable to save him early on.

Rachel is such an interesting new character, I like the idea of the Punisher taking on a partner. The scene with Frank giving her a Kevlar vest with the Punisher logo and DD delivering a baby paralleled with each other perfectly. The dialogue comparing the bullet proof vest to a warm blanket for a child was pitch perfect and possibly could lead one to believe that Frank wants to provide Rachel with some kind of comfort, not just helping her cope with what happened to her. I hope the title doesn't get cancelled before it all plays out. The Punisher is becoming one of the better books Marvel offers.

THUNDERBOLTS #173: Jeff Parker has this title - technically - for another two issues before it changes into DARK AVENGERS with him and his same two rotating artists aboard. This gives him another issue to wrap-up his long term time travel plot with his cast of T-Bolts; some of whom have been on the books for years and are set to vacate.

Just wanted to comment: as has been revealed in solicts and interviews, the T-Bolts will be sticking around for Dark Avengers and the time travel plot will be continuing as well. So don't expect everything to be wrapped up next issue.

He better start wrapping it up soon though, as that ****'s getting cancelled sooner than later. :o

Avengers #25 was laughably terrible. the whole thing was hokey and lame. Art and story was completely phoned in. Waste of 4 bucks.

Amazing Spider-Man was brilliant and Batman was great.

I have such a weird love/hate relationship with X-Factor.

I'll read like 6 issues of it, love it, but then immediately grow insanely bored by the following 6. And the same thing's happening again. I loved the They Keep Killing Madrox, and now the past issue or two has made me want to drop the book for a third time since David's relaunch.

It's really a shame. I love the characters - and I love the addition of Havok and Polaris - but there's just something about the writing that makes everything seem mundane and inconsequential.

I'm enjoying the Omega crossover so much I could live with it being 6 issues instead of the three. It's been that good. There was some terrific interaction between Spidey and Punisher and more so between DD and Rachel. I love how DD feels like he failed Frank by being unable to save him early on.

Rachel is such an interesting new character, I like the idea of the Punisher taking on a partner. The scene with Frank giving her a Kevlar vest with the Punisher logo and DD delivering a baby paralleled with each other perfectly. The dialogue comparing the bullet proof vest to a warm blanket for a child was pitch perfect and possibly could lead one to believe that Frank wants to provide Rachel with some kind of comfort, not just helping her cope with what happened to her. I hope the title doesn't get cancelled before it all plays out. The Punisher is becoming one of the better books Marvel offers.

I recall there being a female Punisher during the 90's named Lynn Michaels. It was during the era when he had 3 titles and was near the peak of his fame. She eventually faded into the background and I imagine the bit was akin to how many things were handled in the 90's; decent idea, shoddy execution. I think there were actually an entire squad of Punisher wanna-be's back then; one wore a mask and went by "Payback". I think she was killed off during PWG a few years back. At any rate, Rachel seems to me to be a better attempt at something like that, which is fine - too often in comics, perfectly good ideas which were botched in execution are allowed to drop and vanish, instead of simply being re-attempted and done better.

I am liking OMEGA DRIVE and while I may not feel as you do about it being 6 chapters - especially since it really is a DD story and I am reading DD - I wouldn't have minded if it were an extra issue at this stage, which is a rarity - especially compared to "THE CIRCLE OF FOUR" in VENOM. Hell, it's strongly tempting me to try to catch up on Rucka's Punisher run, which is rare these days.

Just wanted to comment: as has been revealed in solicts and interviews, the T-Bolts will be sticking around for Dark Avengers and the time travel plot will be continuing as well. So don't expect everything to be wrapped up next issue.

Good to know. I simply assumed with the cast roster changing, that the characters Parker had been running with before the DARK AVENGERS era would be removed or marginalized. It could be that the DARK AVENGERS are employed to catch these escapees - especially since Ghost is hardly a trustworthy figure for Cage.

He better start wrapping it up soon though, as that ****'s getting cancelled sooner than later. :o

That is true. A re-title is often the last saving throw before a fresh #1 or an outright axe. This is a book which has run a very long time so there is no shame in letting it end before it's being outsold by SAVAGE DRAGON. I imagine the first DA issue may see a slight bump but at best it may buy the book another six months barring any surprises. Parker's actually been on the book a good long while; he may be nearing 3 years soon.

Hell, it's strongly tempting me to try to catch up on Rucka's Punisher run, which is rare these days.

It was a slow buildup. Pretty much all you need to know is that The Exchange was involved in the murder of Rachel's family on her wedding day and she went out for revenge on her own. It happened to be the same case the Punisher was working on and there paths eventually crossed. He first told her to stay out of his way but she saved his life showing off some serious marine sniping skills. He then took her under his wing.

When you read it all in one shot it's pretty solid.:up:

It was a slow buildup. Pretty much all you need to know is that The Exchange was involved in the murder of Rachel's family on her wedding day and she went out for revenge on her own. It happened to be the same case the Punisher was working on and there paths eventually crossed. He first told her to stay out of his way but she saved his life showing off some serious marine sniping skills. He then took her under his wing.

When you read it all in one shot it's pretty solid.:up:

There's a hardcover of THE PUNISHER #1-6 which is out and then I'd only have three issues of back issues to go after, if I deeply desired to. Haven't quite decided if I am THAT interested. I did almost jump on when the relaunch happened but I think that week I didn't have an extra $4. Usually when I want to jump on a series, I either collect the entire run in one sitting and catch up immediately - as I did with INVINCIBLE and CAPTAIN AMERICA under Ed Brubaker - or I never get to it (as I didn't with Geoff Johns' FLASH). Not knowing every little reference or detail or whatever is irritating enough for whenever I read a DC comic. Having to read a Wikipedia page to comprehend a comic I have read takes me right out of it. It's the difference between seeing an entire film from start to finish versus seeing the last, oh, 45 minutes. Sure, that's the best part, but not a complete experience.

Of course, it may be better to do it now before there is more to collect. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"