Justice League Brett Ratner is the Latest on the Shortlist

I don't mind those movies, either, but I don't think he'd be right for JL.

We don't know if you're right, unless he comes on and gets the thing up and running. If the JL script is good and Ratner casts the other JL members well... I think he could make an enjoyable movie.

From the way WB is running through their shortlist, it seems like they want to fast-track the thing for a 2014 release as opposed to 2015.

They're fun. Movies aren't allowed to be fun anymore. :woot:

The Avengers was fun. :yay:

Triumph - Wu Tang Clan. You might have to be a 80s/90s hip-hop fan to understand :cwink:

LOL, sure it wasn't this one? Not gonna lie, it's a funny video and a catchy song.

[YT]irxZsKBTXCQ[/YT]

I'm gonna wait and see what Ratner does with Ender's Game before burning him at the stake.

My tone has never been condescension to another poster, it always has been to the actor, director, writer, topic at hand.

For a mod, you sure behave like a troll that would be probationary banned within a day for how much you insult posters.

Your posting history says otherwise.

We don't know if you're right, unless he comes on and gets the thing up and running. If the JL script is good and Ratner casts the other JL members well... I think he could make an enjoyable movie.

From the way WB is running through their shortlist, it seems like they want to fast-track the thing for a 2014 release as opposed to 2015.

I never said I was right. I'm usually wrong, actually. :yay:

Fleischer is still my favorite rumored choice.

I09 speculated him but I didn't know he was flat-out in the actual rumor-mill.

I just saw him mentioned on bleedingcool about a week ago

Sucks that fanboys hate facts, like Ratner wanting Matthew Bomer (who went on to become a big TV star from White Collar) for Superman when everyone else wanted the lazy, go-to choice Brendan Fraser. Or that Matthew Vaughn made all the key decisions on X-Men: The Last Stand (casting new roles, working on the story with the writers, picking all the locations) then bailing weeks before filming started.

Not a huge Ratner fan but the dude is far from the hack he's labeled by braindead fanboys who can't have an opinion of their own. :whatever: indeed.

So he wanted Bomer, I guess that makes him a better choice than the rest of the directors who would have have went for the lazy yet obvious choice at the time then(Bomer is still a weak choice btw).

What's funny is that Vaughn also made all the key decisions with First class and we all know how that turned out. I wonder what the missing/weak link was with Last Stand though...

Ratner not only directed one lame comic book adaptations under harsh circumstances(not that much harsher than First Classes tbh), but he's also directed a bunch of ill produced, and ill received films. Fan boys will act accordingly in this case.

Marvel get's Whedon and DC considers Ratner...
They act as if they have the advantage at this point.

Last edited:
You mean WB is considering Ratner.

And what advantage are you talking about?

WB/DC doesn't know what they're doing.

I know. You guys are shocked to hear that!

Ah, hyperbolic hatred with no sense of context.

As long as he doesn’t kill off Cyclops and Xavier and give Cyclops role to Wolverine, what's the big deal?

Yes, he's something of a safe choice. WB won't hire someone they don't have some control over...it's going to be a MASSIVE project with a massive budget.

X3 was pretty fantastic beyond "source material" faithfulness, which almost no comic book film seems able to get right anyway. Ratner got some very good performances from his actors, and its not like he wrote X3, the man came aboard to direct a script that was already locked in. And he proved his ability to handle an ensemble film with leading players. He's done some very good action work, has comedy (RUSH HOUR) and dramatic (RED DRAGON) experience, and a sense of the epic with a solid visual eye.

The best choice ever? Nope, but if it came down to Ratner being the only one who really wanted the job who has the experience? I wouldn't jump off a cliff quite yet.

Ratner edited out good parts of Vaughn's treatment and added stupid ****. It's well documented. All throughout the X3 forums.

Uh…no.

I think there's plenty of Ratner hate without making things up and hyperbolizing the situation. Ratner did not just come in and butcher some wonderful script Vaughn and his writers had created. Ratner basically shot the existing script as the budget allowed, less a rumored Storm/Wolverine sex scene and some more deaths.

Seriously, though:

A. Ratner’s a fan, and was aboard JJ Abrams' SUPERMAN project as well as rumored for X-MEN and various Batman projects before BEGINS, so its not like WB hasn't thought about him before.

B. This is a rumor.

C. Were I a website with limited credibility, this is the type of rumor I would introduce to get hits and stir up fans.

Last edited:
You mean WB is considering Ratner.

And what advantage are you talking about?

unlike Sony and Marvel, I personally consider the fact that time Warner owns DC reason enough to source all their executive decisions accountable to the same group. DC/WB whatever.
Sorta like Hasbro/Paramount.

I was actually referencing the fact that unlike Marvel WB/DC has both Superman and Green Lantern in a bad place at the moment, they don't really have any momentum in their universe building and all that juice from the nolan bat series pretty much ends the minute they reboot/recast it.

I say they act like they have the advantage because they make funky decisions like Ratner and not solid one everyone can get behind or even champion. Not the move's I would expect of a company in the disadvantage at the moment.

What makes Whedon special(and something I wouldn't stop mentioning before the fact) is that if he was charged with writing a comic book tmr, there's little doubt he'd deliver. He pretty much wrote one of the best Xmen runs ever(and that books known for it's runs). Avengers was no surprise to me. I can only imagine Ratner's work in a comic book as of tmr. The W.Siblings are an interesting mystery at the very least.

Last edited:
This. I was one of the few who enjoyed X-Men 3 despite its flaws and questionable story decisions (some of it was Vaughn's and some was Ratner's). Ratner directed the very competent Red Dragon and I enjoyed the first Rush Hour. I think Ratner can direct well -- it's all contingent on the script he's working with.

I'd be fine with him directing, personally.

Ditto. I will never get the Ratner/X-Men 3 hate, nor do I get the Bryan Singer love.

If he wants to do it, I say give him a chance. We might get lucky and get another "Iron Man" in terms of quality.

Wow....
If this turns out to be true I've lost whatever hope I may have had for this movie.

nooooo.png

I highly doubt this is true. But I do like those who continue to act like know-it-alls, even though they continue to be wrong time and time again. How much egg on ones face does it take before someone just stops talking?

Your posting history says otherwise.
Sounds like someone who hasn't been here long enough to actually know my posting history. And if we're going by that, you sure have some bad history yourself; especially in the Superman boards.
Fleischer is still my favorite rumored choice.
I think he's a decent choice, I'm all for the Wachowski's though.
So he wanted Bomer, I guess that makes him a better choice than the rest of the directors who would have have went for the lazy yet obvious choice at the time then(Bomer is still a weak choice btw).

What's funny is that Vaughn also made all the key decisions with First class and we all know how that turned out. I wonder what the missing/weak link was with Last Stand though...

Ratner not only directed one lame comic book adaptations under harsh circumstances(not that much harsher than First Classes tbh), but he's also directed a bunch of ill produced, and ill received films. Fan boys will act accordingly in this case.

Marvel get's Whedon and WB considers Ratner...
They act as if they have the advantage at this point.
Exactly.
WB/DC doesn't know what they're doing.

I know. You guys are shocked to hear that!
No one's shocked by this at all. In fact it's our number one complaint when it comes to DC movies.
Uh…no.
Uh, yes.
I think there's plenty of Ratner hate without making things up and hyperbolizing the situation. Ratner did not just come in and butcher some wonderful script Vaughn and his writers had created. Ratner basically shot the existing script as the budget allowed, less a rumored Storm/Wolverine sex scene and some more deaths.
No, Ratner changed Alcatraz Island from Mutant Prison to Cure Labratory.
Cut out Rogue's spying on the Brotherhood.
Cut out Gambit and Cannonball and replaced them with Callisto's trio.
Added the "Juggernaut B****" line.(this is a 50% love/hate line).

I will commend him for cutting out the Logan/Storm romance. :o

What was good in X3 was already in the script from Vaughn, and while I agree Vaughn's script wasn't sacred, what was cut is better than the **** Ratner gave us.

Seriously, though:
A. Ratner’s a fan, and was aboard JJ Abrams' SUPERMAN project as well as rumored for X-MEN and various Batman projects before BEGINS, so its not like WB hasn't thought about him before.
Never said they didn't.
And being a fan doesn't mean that they're the right person for the job.
B. This is a rumor.
A bad one at that.
C. Were I a website with limited credibility, this is the type of rumor I would introduce to get hits and stir up fans.
Like I asked in my first post in this thread, How reliable is this site reporting this?

unlike Sony and Marvel, I personally consider the fact that time Warner owns DC reason enough to source all their executive decisions accountable to the same group. DC/WB whatever.
Sorta like Hasbro/Paramount.

And you'd be wrong. Gill and Ultimatehero have profusely stated that DCE has no leverage or power over any of WB's decisions made when coming to the live adaptations.

I was actually referencing the fact that unlike Marvel WB/DC has both Superman and Green Lantern in a bad place at the moment, they don't really have any momentum in their universe building and all that juice from the nolan bat series pretty much ends the minute they reboot/recast it.

Nothing new...

I say they act like they have the advantage because they make funky decisions like Ratner and not solid one everyone can get behind or even champion. Not the move's I would expect of a company in the disadvantage at the moment.

It's a rumor. :dry:

What makes Whedon special(and something I wouldn't stop mentioning before the fact) is that if he was charged with writing a comic book tmr, there's little doubt he'd deliver. He pretty much wrote one of the best Xmen runs ever(and that books known for it's runs). Avengers was no surprise to me. I can only imagine Ratner's work in a comic book as of tmr. The W.Siblings are an interesting mystery at the very least.

Soooo, in other words, Marvel Studios - smart; WB - stupid?

Considering that WB reached out to Ben Affleck, and had Beall write the first draft of the screenplay, I say they're not fooling around when arriving to the project. WB, at least, hired Snyder for Watchmen, Nolan for Batman Begins, The Wachowskis for V for Vendetta, and honestly tried with Campbell for Green Lantern.

They're not as incompetent as you're making them out to be.

The script was no where near done when Ratner came on board. Vaughn/Penn/Kinberg knocked out a first draft... that was it. So let's not pretend that Vaughn's X3 wouldn't have been drastically different.

But just to humor some, lets say the scipt was 100% locked and ready to shoot, I can still say just by looking at his filmography that Vaughn's X3 would have been better executed. Ratner's X3 was loaded with way too much urgency. Instead of focusing on the scene at hand he was too busy desperately trying to get to the next one. There is no focus, it's just all over the place. So yes, that is his fault, not the scripts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"