Superman Returns Bryan Singer Interview 5/25

Nightwing1977 said:
You know, I wouldn't be surprise TE would say anything negative about Singer or SR since it not done his way. He has habit of making up lies, excuses, & all that crap when he don't like what he see. He sound more like a whining brat than Singer with all the crap he put up. :p
lies and excuse, metion on or bring one up. the problem with you singer lovers is that you all think he is god or something. for a man of minority background i understand what it means to go through **** in life, racial, economically, tribally and other wise. but **** it, i don't whin about it or see my life constructed round such trivial things. ye si consider them trivial, casue i have gone beyond that . which he himself has achieved but has decided to reflect on in both X-movies and superman Returns

Thunder Emperor said:
yes we all can relate to that, and with all his talk of how things were rough so was my childhood, were i come from the call it deal with it. fatih lands you a deck of nasty cards, it is up to you to play some hard poker with what you have. yes he did it to a degree. but please i am tired of hearing people use this as to some explanation to derive some kinfd of pitty of sympathy.

but he's NOT looking for any sort of pitty or sympathy! he's merely stating this is how he is able to relate to the character.

Thunder Emperor said:
for a man of minority background i understand what it means to go through **** in life, racial, economically, tribally and other wise. but **** it, i don't whin about it...

and neither is he. he was in an interview and the person who was interviewing him asked him a question and Bryan Singer answered. he didn't go "omg, it my childhood was so horrible...i had the worst! blah blah blah"....he simply stated that he could identify and relate to Superman and the X-Men on a personal level and he explained how.

he wasn't whyning like you think he was...

Thunder Emperor said:
Ginji form Getbackers, best Anime Ever:)
It reminds me of Peter Parker before he became Spider-Man for some reason.

DorkyFresh said:
and neither is he. he was in an interview and the person who was interviewing him asked him a question and Bryan Singer answered. he didn't go "omg, it my childhood was so horrible...i had the worst! blah blah blah"....he simply stated that he could identify and relate to Superman and the X-Men on a personal level and he explained how.

he wasn't whyning like you think he was...
the think i don't liek is the clear inference to his life he likes to do with his comic book movies, that i feel adds unneeded drama, rather han going to source material. and the whole superman Jesus inference in the movie pisses me off more lol

Thunder Emperor said:
the think i don't liek is the clear inference to his life he likes to do with his comic book movies, that i feel adds unneeded drama, rather han going to source material. and the whole superman Jesus inference in the movie pisses me off more lol
EVERY director has to look inside him/herself to be able to relate and identify with the project they're involved with wether or not they refer to the source material.

as far as the whole Jesus thing......i didn't get ANY of that from Singer's Superman.

He's not only an amazing direcetor, but an amazingly talented man with a great deal of determination.

DorkyFresh said:
EVERY director has to look inside him/herself to be able to relate and identify with the project they're involved with wether or not they refer to the source material.

as far as the whole Jesus thing......i didn't get ANY of that from Singer's Superman.
verbatim quote of Marlon brandon
" They are a great people my soon, ... but that is why i sent you my only son to show them the way" utter bull. superman was sent here to be resuced form a dying planet. and he won't be who Superman with out the Kents epescially Pa kent. so that is outter croc, from a comic book prespective.

Thunder Emperor said:
verbatim quote of Marlon brandon
" They are a great people my soon, ... but that is why i sent you my only son to show them the way" utter bull. superman was sent here to be resuced form a dying planet. and he won't be who Superman with out the Kents epescially Pa kent. so that is outter croc, from a comic book prespective.
I think, in the context of the movie, Jor-El's statement is in regard to his particular choice of Earth.

Thunder Emperor said:
i don't think so, i feel he used that part of himself overtly to a point of exaggeration in his previous x-movie. Which is one of the reason i didn't enjoy it as much as teh spiderman movies or batman begins. it didn't feel like i was watching a comic book movie come to life but rather Singer tell his life story through character fo a comic book. Those are two different things.

:rolleyes:

Byran Singer is not bigger than the characters.....you're just trying to start something.

not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's another article on bryan singer:

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=3799&IssueNum=155

The New Big Blue
Bryan Singer envisioned a more human hero for ‘Superman Returns’

~ By BRENT SIMON ~

Photo by David James
He may be more vulnerable, but he's still pretty tough

ith more than 1,400 special effects shots and a final budget – according to its director – a bit over its green-lit figure of “exactly $184.5 million, but still well south of $200 million,” you might expect the hard sell from Bryan Singer on Superman Returns Warner’s reboot of its venerable superhero franchise. You might expect lots of wonkish talk about advances in CGI and eye-popping spectacle.

You would be wrong.

Describing the summer’s biggest action film as “certainly the most humorous and romantic” of the movies in his canon, Singer instead stresses its emotional relevance and familial rootedness. In fact, he even claims one of the reasons he took on Superman Returns was to help better get his head around the complex visual palette and landscapes of his long-in-the-works remake of Logan’s Run – surely the first time a film of this scope and cost has been described as having training wheels.

The biggest reason Singer had for doing the film, though – thus opting out of completing his X-Men trilogy – was his tremendous affinity for director Richard Donner’s 1978 original. Singer cites that, alongside Steven Spielberg’s Jaws, as one of the reasons he got into filmmaking in the first place.

“The time just felt right to re-experience this character, to address and celebrate people’s collective memory of him and how he’s evolved to now,” Singer says. “The adult Superman follows very much the journey that the younger Superman did, but the idea is that everything’s changed and is off a bit, that the dilemmas have become more modern. It becomes a movie about relationships and family – despite Lex Luthor and the villainy of it all.”

Aiding Singer’s intensely personalized vision is a decidedly neoclassical appearance, in terms of the movie’s cinematography and art design. “We were going for a soft, romantic look,” the director admits. “I call it Rebecca … (But in Color) – just a very soft image. And what’s great about the Genesis cameras we used is that they give you a lot of texture in the blacks and grays, and colors too, and we’re grading [the film stock] in a way that’s meant to further capture, in a sophisticated way, the romanticism of the 1930s.”

While he’s coy about certain specifics – in pleasant conversation he pauses and backtracks liberally, at one moment grinding to a halt for several seconds before confessing that he can’t continue a point of comparison without giving away a crucial revelation – it’s no secret that the film’s story grounds Superman’s plight in some very relatable, human stumbling blocks. Following a self-imposed absence of five years, Superman (newcomer Brandon Routh) returns to Earth to find a world that’s passed him by. While grappling with nemesis Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey, reuniting with his Usual Suspects director), he must also contend with the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has moved on with her life and even has a son.

How will hardcore comic-book fans react to disruptions in the traditional Superman storyline like Lois’s child and other updated tweaks?

“I like to think they’ll appreciate [the modern touches],” says Singer. “There are always some fans that will have a very strict interpretation of what a movie should be, and perhaps they’ll only find parts of it that they will respond to. There are very few true, insurmountable obstacles for Superman, and frankly, on a personal level, the child is a huge obstacle for him to reconcile.”

Though he’s not contractually obligated for a sequel, Singer feels invested enough in the character to want to return and says that a vacation will help recharge his creative batteries and provide valuable perspective and fresh ideas. “I think the film plays out really, really well, and offers a lot of places to go,” he says. “The Superman villains have never been as iconic and memorable as, say, the Batman villains, so it might be harder to make sense of them for a larger audience. But I would be anxious to explore the idea.”

Superman Returns opens June 30.

Jakomus said:
Every post i've seen you do has been about making fun of people you disagree with. Lighten up please.

I don't make fun of everyone I disagree with. Just those who keep bashing SR like they know it will suck without an open mind. Oh yeah, some are giving bad arguments, not opinions. Why don't tell you tell TE himself to lighten' up with all his "This movie is going to suck" without good opinions to back it up. Oh yeah, he made many rude remarks about Bosworth that is just dumb. :rolleyes:

Nightwing1977 said:
I don't make fun of everyone I disagree with. Just those who keep bashing SR like they know it will suck without an open mind. Oh yeah, some are giving bad arguments, not opinions. Why don't tell you tell TE himself to lighten' up with all his "This movie is going to suck" without good opinions to back it up. Oh yeah, he made many rude remarks about Bosworth that is just dumb. :rolleyes:
You're quite the rambler.

Jakomus said:
You're quite the rambler.

I'm not the only one thought. And TE is a rambler too. I love how people think someone is the only one to do some of the things, when others do the same.

And TE, you label me as Singer lover. Well you're a SV & Tom's lover. The kettle isn't black. ;)

I downloaded the videos if anyone wants them, here are the yousendit links :) :

MTVOverdrive_Singer_1_IntroOutOfSolitude.wmv 3.3MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_2_GlobalSuperhero.wmv 14MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_3_UnknownTerritory.wmv 18MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_4_SensitiveSkin.wmv 22MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_5_MarlonBrando.wmv 19MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_6_PrankExposed.wmv 20MB
MTVOverdrive_Singer_7_BonusClipThePrank.wmv 53MB

scruffy in the name of all users here:...........THANK YOU

Batman Begins has huge influences from Blade Runner, and Superman Returns will probably have alot of influences from Logan's Run. What classic and/or underground sci-fi movie should the rest of the DC franchise have?

Hey, I don't think some people read the whole thing here, there are atleast 20 more lines in that interview yet we focus on the last 2-3 lines and make Singer a whinner. Why can't we appreciate the fact that he has put in so much of hardwork and toil in bringing our favorite Superhero back to the silver screen. It can't be easy making a movie that has so many hopes and stakes attached to it, yet he has done a fairly commendable job of it. Yet, for some reason we only tend to find excuses to demean him or criticize him. Why this pessimism?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"