BubbaGump's Batman Fan Art

BubbaGump

Bland User
Reaction score
I've always liked drawing. And It's time my enemies shared my liking.

Well, I finally got around to making a fan-art thread (I've been meaning to for a while). I just want some feedback on my drawings.

I'll post some pieces every now and then. But first, here's Brian Bolland's cover for The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told (drawn by yours truly).

joker002mb9.jpg

I'm not good at making my own original art, so I just like to do "covers" of my favorite artists (Jim Lee, Bruce Timm, and Brian Bolland). Coloring isn't my thing either. I'm more of a black and white kinda guy.

I'm also more drawn (no pun intended--well, maybe) to Batman/DC characters. I've been meaning to cover some Marvel characters, but I've show more of an interest to the Dark Knight.

So tell me what you think. Criticisms, suggestions--all that jazz.

Sorry for bumping, but I didn't want to wait for comments before showing something new.

I just finished this today.

allstar1sa3.jpg

All Star Batman and Robin #5. I know it doesn't look exactly like it, but what the hell--neither do all my drawings.

stop copying!!!!!!!!! It's not going to make you a better artist dammit!

You'd be surprised as to how many art classes incorporate imitation in their curriculum.

And so what if I cover my favorite artists? I draw for fun--not to be original or anything--and I was just hoping to share what I've drawn here. I already mentioned before that I'm not very original. So what? Is that my fault?

Thanks for the comment, anyway.

stop copying!!!!!!!!! It's not going to make you a better artist dammit!

You're joking, right? Sorry, but you have no idea. Obviously that doesn't mean you spend the rest of your art education on copying. :p

Sweet stuff. Though I'm curious to see some art of your own :D

not sure why the hostility is needed.

i will say, as a viewer of people's stuff, it is always more fun to see original stuff... hope you think about posting your own ideas in the future! :)

having said that, great recreation of the ASB&R pic! looks really good.

La_She-Beast: Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to work on some original art of my own, but for now I just want to show all of my drawings.

Mattchew: Thanks for the suggestions. After your feedback, I've been considering making something original, but I want to show all my work before making something new.

jokergx7.jpg

very cool... the guns are done really well.... you should ink it!

very cool... the guns are done really well.... you should ink it!

Thanks, Mattchew. I'm considering getting some inexpensive ink nibs/pens.

Here's something I did a while back. Bruce Timm inspired.

brucetimmxu6.jpg

I pretty much wore out my 6B shading this baby, only to have the scanner light reflect off the grooves.

Bruce Timm is my god. Glad I'm not the only who considers him one of the comic masters in the world. :)

bat-fan obviously... id love to see you to apply the bruce timm style to another book like x-men or something

ps: your bats pic looks sweet. love the pose.

^ditto... you should enter the fanart contest or check out the drawergeeks thread... they're REALLY fun and, imo, the best thing going on these boards.

La_She-Beast: Bruce Timm any less than a god? Not possible. His Scarecrow in TAS was his weakest point, though.

Mattchew: Yeah, I've been thinking of doing something like that. Like replacing Jim Lee's art in Hush or All-Star with Bruce Timm's style. I'll try experimenting like that.

ゴジラ: Thanks!

Mattchew: Where's this drawergeek's thread? I'm curious.

Here's today's update. It's that sketch from the back of Hush Vol. 2 TPB. 100% free-hand (hence the inconsistencies).

jimmyleeff3.jpg

drawergeeks thread is in the fanart forum.... worth checking out

drawergeeks thread is in the fanart forum.... worth checking out

Okay. Maybe I will give it a look.

drawingsvh6.jpg

This took me a week to free-hand, and as you can see, the buildings are off in many parts (I was desperate to finish it). Buildings and detail are hell!

drawings001ls7.jpg

And since it's guaranteed we'll be seeing Two-Face in TDK, I decided to post this. Bruce Timm inspired.

Those are really good....my favorite is the batman and robin swinging.

I Loves me some bruce timm. But more so in an animation stance and less as a comic book artist. Got some nice work here. What i'd suggest when beginning to move away from copying artists would be to draw other characters with the foundation of a current image. For example try drawing wolverine or someone using an existing batman piece as reference.
Obviously this is something you'd want to be doing for transitional reasons, not indefinitely. =) all the best. i'll be keeping my eye out to see how you progress.

Sorry if I came of harsh but what I meant is 1. Copying is not really going to make you a better artist. and 2. There are real artist on this forum that draw hours to make original drawings while you just post copied stuff and expect people to praise you for it. If you posted something original that you drew without copying then I'd say something nice.

Good stuff.

I don't think there's much wrong with copying. I used to do it, copying, tracing, all that. And it helped me some, understanding certain things. Now I don't do anything more than maybe referencing a pose or something. But if you're doing it just for fun, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Replies:

darthKJ: Thank you for the comment. Stop by again!

Zombie_samurai: I understand where you're coming from, but I'm not expecting people to praise my work--where'd you get the idea that I wanted people to praise me? Look at the last line of the first post in this thread:

So tell me what you think. Criticisms, suggestions--all that jazz.

I never said I expected praise. In fact, I expect criticism and suggestions from people. Whether it be telling me how I can get a start to making something original or how I can make the line-art appear better after I scanned it. I do this for fun, hoping that some people might like it--not to please anyone.

Mee: I'm actually beginning to work on some original art on my own, I just want to finish posting all of the "copies" that I've done over the past few weeks. Maybe after I'm done posting all my "covers" I might get to start with the "original" stuff. Thanks for the comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"