Can someone tell me how to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparta*

~Sword of Darkness~
Reaction score
Hey, i'm running Windows XP, and I want to reinstall my computer to the factory state when I first purchased it. Does anyone know how to do it? I would GREATLY appreciate the help! Thanks :up:

You can format the drive, but that will wipe out everything or you can use the recovery disk that should have come with your computer.

Formatting will restore my C Drive to Factory?

I didn't get a recovery disc with my computer...but isn't there another way to restore it to factory? I just have a really bad virus on my comp that I can't get rid of. Will restoring it back to factory even get rid of the virus??

If you format the drive, it should You can also a system restore.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools- What this does is back the computer up to a certain time on the computer. I've used it a few times. If the virus is bad enough though it may not be enough and you might have to format the c drive which will restore it back to factory, but you may not have some programs that came with your computer when you bought it. That's why it is good to have recovery disks because they have all the necessary programs that your computer originally had when you bought it.

I can't successfully do a system restore or a format of my C drive...i'm about ready to smash my computer to bits with a baseball bat.

put the WinXP disk in your computer and reboot it. It should boot right from the cd then.

Sparta* said:
Formatting will restore my C Drive to Factory?
You do relise that everything on c:/ will go? this includes work and pictures so if you want to keep those i suggest backing them up on disk or somthing :)

And its saying you cant format because your doing it from with in windows, either need to do it from a Fdisk or windows disk.

I deleted my XP operating system and reinstalled it from the disc like kable suggested. Now I have to reinstall my internet and everything (i'm posting from work right now)

my home comp is running a little sluggish after the re-install though (mainly when I try to drag open windows around, everything else is fast) ...is that normal?

Sparta* said:
I deleted my XP operating system and reinstalled it from the disc like kable suggested. Now I have to reinstall my internet and everything (i'm posting from work right now) my home comp is running a little sluggish after the re-install though...is that normal?
Did you do format the hard drive correctly, this is what gets me with people reinstalling xp, if you dont format the HD before doing it the windows before it is still there.

So all your programmes and what not are still in the backgound and for one is taking up space and two causes the pc to run slower. So when i do it, i wipe the whole thing first then install it, not wack the disk in and let the windows disk do what it does

No, I formatted and removed the original installation, then started a fresh installation of XP.

Well, my comp is royally ****ed up. I deleted and then reinstalled windows, and now its running really crappy, and won't let me install the internet :down all I get are error messages like it doesn't have enough ram to run installations. I'm screwed.

I'm posting from work right now :o

when you did the reinstall did you do a quick format or a normal format and did you pick NTFS file system or FAT file system?

I did a normal format and I believe I picked the NTFS file system

Problem solved. MODS, kindly lock this thread if you desire to do so :)

Brought it to someone lol. The virus was deleted when I reinstalled my operating system, but it screwed up my video card or something.

What is your avatar from?!

I see :)

Aphex Twin - Window Licker

Directed by Chris Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members