Comics Can They Really Keep Spidey Unmasked...?

kguillou

Avenger
Reaction score
As much as i am enjoying the Unmasked Storylines in Sensational and Friendly Neighborhood, can they really keep him as an unmasked hero from now on? Part of the greatness of Spider-Man was his secrecy, it doesnt look like Marvel plans to retcon this anytime soon, maybe it'll be permanent and Spider-Man will be a public figure from now on. Then again, what plausible way would there be to "remask" Spidey? Any thoughts guys?

i would actually think its pretty cool to leave him unmasked long term, but chances are they would only have done it originally with plans to retcon it during one last day :(

No,eventually Spider-Man will once again wear his mask and no one will know who is under it.Its all a matter of when.

Peter having a secret I.D. is part of the character. By taking that away
you're losing one of the main elements that make Spider-man what and who he is. I really doubt the unmasking will last. I just want to know how
the writers are going to get things back to normal, that will be very interesting.

Maybe he'll be on the run permanently and don a new identity.

Ugh, not calling him Peter Parker when the mask is off is a waste.

I really shou;dn't have clicked this thread. I spend most of my day trying to forget how Marvel ****ed up Spider-Man then I give myself a cold, hard slap in the face.

Curse me!

well we know during the back in black hes on the run so he'll at least be unmasked for the next 3-5 months

yeah Id like to know how they plan on giving him his secret identity back myself.

Ben Reilly

hahahaha sorry....had to say it :)

After the Back in Black storyline, Marvel's already stated on record that they're gonna run a Back in Slacks storyline where he will wear dockers with a dress shirt with a spider-black bowtie while fighting crime. There is no need for any suit anymore. He is only Petey and everyone knows it. He is just Dopey Smurf now, the man who revealed himself because Iron Smurf "asked him to".

He won't be back to NORMAL for sometime.

Yay.

So exciting.

(sorry for the sarcasm, but it seems to only get dumb and dumber....)

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Joey Q already state that Spider-man will go back to his "secret" identity after a couple of storylines? I could have sworn that I heard that.

Yeh, i heard that too. That it will go back, just not for awhile, only after they squeeze every last marketing ploy of sugary goodness out of this.

Then...Basically, we are in another loop of a story that eventually will lead us back to the start with Spidey masked again ...so we just have to enjoy the slow ride while we meander back to where he was before stripping for Tony Stark and the cameras.

I feel we're caught up in WAY too many storylines that are just overall long meandering circles leading back to how it was before they "fixed it" to begin with.

MArvel.
a) CHanges something they can't keep changed for good reason.
b.) Joey Q. hypes the heck out of it then, he cheerleads!
c.) sales go up....evenetually back down.
d.) New Change must be made to bring it back to normal and how most of the fans have always liked and respected it to be.

No progress in the long run. Just a bunch of time, issues and money...that in the long run, these stories our only heading on the long road to getting things back to status quo of BEFORE. An endless loop of poking and prodding a good thing (spidey) to "fix" some imaginary ill. And then going back to make it like it was before when it clearly doesn't work.

Let's move on in meaningful ways guys!! Come on!! Marvel is in this dumps with Spidey, a depressing cycle, and they don't even get it. Not with Spidey anyway. HE COULD BE GREAT AGAIN!!!!!!' HE COULD! I LOVE(D) SPIDER-MAN COMICS ONCE,.. BEFORE THEY BECAME A BIG JOKE RECENTLY. Get a writer who understands the character and WHO HE IS. You can't write Pete totally out of character just for the sakes of a big sales event. Joey Q needs good writers....NOT mad scientists.

No, they couldn't...they'd have to use the Neuralizer against everyone, using the Statue of Liberty.

Spidey is one of the few in the Marvel universe that actually needs the ID. I mean, Cap, Iron Man, the X-men, etc pretty much all their "family" have powers to help themselves. This doesnt work for Spidey. Hell, DD is the only character for this outed ID idea to actually make it work. And lets not forget Foggy was killed in the process.

jaydawg said:
Spidey is one of the few in the Marvel universe that actually needs the ID. I mean, Cap, Iron Man, the X-men, etc pretty much all their "family" have powers to help themselves. This doesnt work for Spidey. Hell, DD is the only character for this outed ID idea to actually make it work. And lets not forget Foggy was killed in the process.

Yea, but part of the story is that Matt is slowly, but surely convincing a lot of people that he's not DD.

On top of that, it has been revealed quite a long time ago that Foggy hasn't died, but he's in the witness protection program

farmernudie said:
Yeh, i heard that too. That it will go back, just not for awhile, only after they squeeze every last marketing ploy of sugary goodness out of this.

Then...Basically, we are in another loop of a story that eventually will lead us back to the start with Spidey masked again ...so we just have to enjoy the slow ride while we meander back to where he was before stripping for Tony Stark and the cameras.

I feel we're caught up in WAY too many storylines that are just overall long meandering circles leading back to how it was before they "fixed it" to begin with.

MArvel.
a) CHanges something they can't keep changed for good reason.
b.) Joey Q. hypes the heck out of it then, he cheerleads!
c.) sales go up....evenetually back down.
d.) New Change must be made to bring it back to normal and how most of the fans have always liked and respected it to be.

No progress in the long run. Just a bunch of time, issues and money...that in the long run, these stories our only heading on the long road to getting things back to status quo of BEFORE. An endless loop of poking and prodding a good thing (spidey) to "fix" some imaginary ill. And then going back to make it like it was before when it clearly doesn't work.

Let's move on in meaningful ways guys!! Come on!! Marvel is in this dumps with Spidey, a depressing cycle, and they don't even get it. Not with Spidey anyway. HE COULD BE GREAT AGAIN!!!!!!' HE COULD! I LOVE(D) SPIDER-MAN COMICS ONCE,.. BEFORE THEY BECAME A BIG JOKE RECENTLY. Get a writer who understands the character and WHO HE IS. You can't write Pete totally out of character just for the sakes of a big sales event. Joey Q needs good writers....NOT mad scientists.

For an interesting take on Marvel and how they treat their writers ... read the Ask Howard Mackie Thread.

Marvel management milks stories and ideas WAY too long. Then jobs them in the end.

Have some strength of character to make a decision and stand by it.

Canadian Rider said:
For an interesting take on Marvel and how they treat their writers ... read the Ask Howard Mackie Thread.

Marvel management milks stories and ideas WAY too long. Then jobs them in the end.

Have some strength of character to make a decision and stand by it.

While I do agree that Marvel cops out on plenty of there so called "huge" ideas and it is annoying at times, heh I really don't mind it in this case.

To me, the unmasking is more like a way of telling some "What if" storylines. Marvel really has the potential right now to write some pretty interesting stories especially with Spider-man and his family on the run. I've always loved this character the most when its sought of him against the world. Of coarse I can't wait for the "Unmasking" to be forgotten and done away with but for now....I'm looking forward to some of the storylines they were unable to tap into previously because of the mask.

Here's the thing: The whole idea of Peter finally umasking and revealing himself to the world is not a bad story idea, the problem is its not time to reveal his i.d. yet. It's still too early in his comic career to unmask. Stories like this need to be saved for the right moment. I always imagined that the "Unmasked" storylines would be saved for like issue #800 of Amazing Spider-Man or something like that. This just further shows that Marvel doesn't have anymore ideas left for the character so they take drastic measures and use these forbidden storylines to save them temporarily. Like I said, the concept is not a bad one but it's not time to use it yet, there's still plenty of stories to be told with spidey keeping his i.d, marvel just needs to stop being lazy and think of some. Gee, how bout bringing baby May back?

I've enjoyed the unmasking and what brilliant stories it has inspired from Sacasa-Aguire and others.

Now how they can get him to be back with a secret ID is beyond me. Then again, didn't Loki owe him one?

Well, its nice too see Spidey unmasked. But I don't like the fact, that his life is pretty dangerous right now. Mary Jane and Aunt May have to hide and Peter cannot be Peter anymore, because so many people hate him. How can he earn money? Find a job? Pay the bills? Mary Jace cannot work anymore. Bad situation.

But is there a possibility to undone that ? Pete cannot erase the memories of millions of people.

One thing I've heard from plenty of people is that they don't have a problem with the Unmasking. It's how it came about that bothers so many people. Personally, I would have never had Spider-man unmask. Is it unrealistic? Yes of coarse it is. But still, I just prefered the identity to well...remain a secret.

The way Marvel went about this storyline was just bad. Spider-man would never have come out openly and done this. At least not the way it was presented. Maybe if a villain gave him no other choice, held MJ hostage, threatened some children...something like that. Not willingly. That's the part that really stings cause it seems so out of character.

Just a while back Doc Ock....held a bunch of people hostage and was gonna blow up tons of NY if Spidey didn't reveal his identity...had spidey cornered BIG TIME in a bad situation...and like always...he figured a way out of NOT Revealing his identity...despite the pressure he felt and how worried he was.

So i agree..the way it was done was absurd and written TOTALLY out of character if you've ever read a spidey comic before.

He woulda tried every route possible to NOT unmask.

And aunt may wouldn't have said..."sure, do it pete..i support it."

That is very convenient to just write aunt may that way...

They took the easy way out and just did a rush job of it to make it FIT that piece of the Civil War arc of sOMEONE needing to unmask in their opinion...and having it be Spider-Man got them tons of free publicity all over the news....just like Death of SUPER-MAN....(who'd think HE would die!-very shocking)....Just like who'd think Spidey would unmask! It is an absurd thought. News worthy.

If they had unmasked Iron Fist, for example....who in the world's news would care?? Thus, no free publicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"