Character Rights Question

Phantom X

Civilian
Reaction score
It seems many people are saddened that their favorite characters can't do a crossover, say Spider-Man in the Avengers and such. But many character move around quite a bit. Here's what I mean:

Wolverine first appeared in a Hulk comic and is also an official Avenger.

Kingpin first appeared with Spidey but first came to the big screen in DD.

Panther first appeared in Fantastic four before becoming an Avenger.

There are lot's of other situations like this, so here's my question. When a company secures the right to use a character does Marvel give them a big lists of characters or does the company have to ask for specific characters?

Is Spider-Man and Daredevil owned by the same company? If not Sony could sue because of the Kingpin, who is one of Spidey's buddies. I'd love to see Kraven take on the Panther, could it happen?

The companies own rights to the characters, that their contracts say they do. Its that simple. So, Sony can't sue Fox over the Kingpin, because Fox's contract has Kingpin on it and Sony's doesn't.

Actually SONY owns the rights to the Kingpin. Avi Arad said SONY loaned FOX the rights for 1st Daredevil film.

Actually SONY owns the rights to the Kingpin. Avi Arad said SONY loaned FOX the rights for 1st Daredevil film.

Greg Weisman said he wanted to use Kingpin on The Spectacular Spider-Man but was forced to change it to Tombstone because the series was produced by Sony and Fox had the rights to the character.

The rights issue is really muddled and we don't always get straight answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"