Chief Coca-Cola scientist leaves amid criticism over obesity research

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
Does this really surprise anyone? That a company would not only implicitly lie about the dangers of their product but try to shift the blame of the health risks to something else?

Sugar is turning into the next tobacco.

Rhona Applebaum, Coca-Cola’s chief scientist and health officer, is stepping down from the company.

The news follows reports that Applebaum helped set up a nonprofit research group tasked with downplaying the role of sugary drinks in the obesity epidemic and highlighting the benefits of exercise.

In August, The New York Times reported that the company had financial ties to the research group—the Global Energy Balance Network, which is made up of university researchers. The company provided the group with $1.5 million in research funding, $1 million of which went to the University of Colorado where group president, James O. Hill, is a professor. Further investigations found that the beverage company helped pick the group’s leaders, draft its mission statement, and design its website. The research group argues that Americans are too fixated on calories and diet and should be more concerned about exercise.

As chief scientist, Applebaum was thought to be central in orchestrating the group.

After the financial connection came to light and drew criticism, the University of Colorado returned the $1 million dollars to Coca-Cola. Still, both the company and researchers said that studies were not influenced by the interests of soda sales.

However, a series of e-mails between Hill and Coca-Cola executives, obtained by The Associated Press, weakens that argument.

In one e-mail from last November, Hill wrote to a top Coke executive: "I want to help your company avoid the image of being a problem in peoples' [sic] lives and back to being a company that brings important and fun things to them."

In another e-mail exchange, Applebaum informs Hill that researchers in the group need to be amenable to working with industry. "That is non-negotiable," she wrote.

A spokesperson for Coca-Cola told The New York Times that Applebaum, aged 61, was retiring and had made the decision in October.
Ars Technica

Sorry, I can't hear you over the fizzy sound of my cherry Vanilla Coke Zero.

Heh... I was drinking a Coke myself as I was preparing this for posting.

I don't see why they just don't go with the obvious, soda isn't intended as a nutritious part of your diet, and if you drink too much of it then it is your own ****ing fault.

Because it isn't so simple as that. Sugar is arguably as addictive if not more so than nicotine. It is also dangerous in its own way. Obesity being only one side effect.

Sugar is also hard to avoid flat out. It's in so many things that the soda industry is only one part of the much bigger problem.

soda isn't intended as a nutritious part of your diet, and if you drink too much of it then it is your own ****ing fault.

That should be on the side of every soda can in America. :funny:

I don't see why they just don't go with the obvious, soda isn't intended as a nutritious part of your diet, and if you drink too much of it then it is your own ****ing fault.

They want the global population to drink five or six cups of soda a day. That's what's good for their bottom line.

Research group orchestrated by Coca-Cola has disbanded amid criticism

There goes that research group. It turns out being funded by someone whose vested interest is in avoiding the health cost of sugar is not a good financial backer afterall.

Following news that Coca-Cola’s chief scientist is stepping down, the controversial academic research group set up and funded by the beverage maker has now disbanded.

The group, the Global Energy Balance Network, announced on its website that it is shutting down its work, effective immediately, due to a lack of resources. The group, headed by James O. Hill of the University of Colorado, shifted focus away from the role of sweetened beverages and excess calories in poor health and obesity and instead promoted the benefits of exercise.

In August, The New York Times reported a financial link between the group and Coca-Cola, which provided $1.5 million in funding. $1 million of those funds went to the University of Colorado, which later returned the money after the financial tie was brought to light and drew criticism. Further investigations by the press found that the beverage company helped pick the group’s leaders, set up its website, and craft its mission statement.

Last week, Coca-Cola said that its chief scientist and health officer, Rhona Applebaum, was stepping down. She was reported to be directly involved in orchestrating the research group.

Yoni Freedhoff, an obesity expert at the University of Ottawa, told the Times that he thinks the move to disband the group was due to a loss of credibility.

“I think ultimately the Global Energy Balance Network was a megaphone for Coca-Cola,” he said. “And now that Coca-Cola is no longer providing the funds to support that megaphone, it’s shutting down. I think that speaks to the purpose of the establishment of this group.”

Though the company and the researchers said that studies were not biased by the interests of Coca-Cola, a series of e-mails obtained by The Associated Press suggest otherwise.

In one e-mail exchange with a Coke executive, Hill wrote, "I want to help your company avoid the image of being a problem in peoples' [sic] lives and back to being a company that brings important and fun things to them."
Ars Technica

But Cherry Coke tastes so good!

Sugar is arguably as addictive if not more so than nicotine.

I'm questioning the science on that one....peronsally, I'm more addicted to coffee mentally than through the caffeine.

I'm probably exaggerating but far more people are addicted to sugar than nicotine, which is not an exaggeration. Plus sugar is far easier to come by and in so many things whereas you are limited to tobacco products for nicotine.

And the stuff with less sugar costs more than the stuff that does, so its a win win for them.

Another thing when you do less sugar is typically more salt, fat or another unhealthy additive instead, so you still get boned.

In britain the government has asked that companies reduce the amount of sugar they put in their products over the next few years. They did the same with salt a few years ago, companies reduced the amount of salt by up to 40% and no-one really noticed.
The key is to do it gradually over a number of years so peoples tastes adjust.

I can attest that soda leads to obesity. I was once at least 3 sodas a day, when I decided to drop the habbit like a rock. Within 3 months, I easily lost 40 pounds without dieting or excecising. Sugar is definitely to blame, because then I started to eliminate food products with sugar, like cereals, pastas, breads. I now eat a pretty much exclusive vegetable, fruit and protein diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"