The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan's Casio EV-4500 Portable LCD 4-Inch TV and the IMAX camera on TDKR

dreamliner

Civilian
Reaction score
Christopher Nolan's Casio EV-4500 is an inexpensive portable LCD 4-Inch TV everybody can buy for less than $80. :doh:

The IMAX camera has been modified with an UHF/VHF transmitter and an attached UHF/VHF antenna that allows Christopher to get real time signal preview from the final shot cinematographer Wally Pfister is working on.

3aga7.jpg

Fourth photo shows angry Nolan trying to get decent TV signal from the IMAX camera. :woot:

ZBz2q.jpg

Babe and bike not included

2EJmH.jpg

So if you are in New York and can get close enough to a filming set don't forget to take a portable UHF/VHF TV with you, if you dial the right channel you could get some TDKR preview shots!!! :ninja:

PS: Please, sticky this thread so people stop asking what is that thing hanging from Nolan's neck. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
NICE!

I was wondering what was the name of Nolan's portable.

And of course, with this goldmine of a ninja tactic, shooting ends in just a couple of days. :doh:

This is intrusive. People need to just see what they can without going to obnoxious extremes.

Lucius Fox wouldn't approve of this tactic...

Essentially watching the movie as it's made.

Wow

Bahahahahaha. So true.

Yeah, sorry, too late! :woot:

I knew all that from some years ago because Nolan has been using this portable TV since The Prestige and in Inception too. I wonder why he doesn't buy some ARRI or Sony ultra exprensive $3000 portable monitor. He likes to go cheap. :awesome: If a "s·h·i·t·t·y" $80 Casio portable TV can do the work, then why go Sony or ARRI, right?

1AiIH.jpg

2010 Inception and 2006 The Prestige. I wonder if it is the very same unit on all movies or if he has several, should they break, die, get lost while filming. Now I'm seeing a cabinet full of $80 Casio portable TV at Nolan's home. Sick!!! :doh:

Lucius Fox wouldn't approve of this tactic...

:funny:

dreamliner: Beautiful, isn't it?
Lucius Fox: Beautiful. Unethical. Dangerous. You've turned every portable UHF/VHF TV in New York City into a real time signal preview.
dreamliner: And a high-frequency generator-receiver.
Lucius Fox: You took my UHF/VHF antenna concept and applied it to every UHF/VHF TV in the city. With half the city feeding you real time signals, you can image all of The Dark Knight Rises. This is wrong.
dreamliner: I've gotta watch this movie, Lucius.
Lucius Fox: At what cost?
dreamliner: The database is null-key encrypted. It can only be accessed by one person.
Lucius Fox: This is too much power for one person.
dreamliner: That's why I gave it to you. Only you can use it.
Lucius Fox: Spying on a $300 million movie isn't part of my job description.

I don't support it, agreeing with RedSkull that it's kind of intrusive, but even so, finding this out during the last few days of their filming is not making anyone gonna wanna try it out for TDKR purposes haha.

Lucius Fox: Beautiful. Unethical. Dangerous. You've turned every portable UHF/VHF TV in New York City into a real time signal preview.
Lucius Fox: You took my UHF/VHF antenna concept and applied it to every UHF/VHF TV in the city. With half the city feeding you real time signals, you can image all of The Dark Knight Rises. This is wrong.
dreamliner: The database is null-key encrypted. It can only be accessed by one person.

:woot:

Good stuff man!

Michael Bay just sent me this cover for People magazine.

VQwj3.jpg

Sad Nolan :woot:

Yeah, sorry, too late! :woot:

I knew all that from some years ago because Nolan has been using this portable TV since The Prestige and in Inception too. I wonder why he doesn't buy some ARRI or Sony ultra exprensive $3000 portable monitor. He likes to go cheap. :awesome: If a "s·h·i·t·t·y" $80 Casio portable TV can do the work, then why go Sony or ARRI, right?

1AiIH.jpg

2010 Inception and 2006 The Prestige. I wonder if it is the very same unit on all movies or if he has several, should they break, die, get lost while filming. Now I'm seeing a cabinet full of $80 Casio portable TV at Nolan's home. Sick!!! :doh:
He's been using such a thing ever since Memento, since there's a pic of him directing Guy Pearce with it around his neck. :funny:

I saw a set pic a few days ago where he had two around his neck. :funny: There's probably a collection.

And yeah, I kind of hope that radio frequency isn't too strong, so spies wouldn't be tuning in with their own portable monitors. :o

Pretty sure it's an hidden channel. A private one. Whatever, it's too late.

Very good detective work. :yay:

But yeah, I'd say it's an extremely weak signal if not private, just so spies couldn't access it from off set.

:funny: :bow:

Use the cryptographic sequencer, problem solved.

:hehe:

:lmao:

I don't suppose anyone knows whether or not such a setup is possible on a Canon DSLR 60D? I'd love a portable monitor for previewing shots..but I know nothing about setting up a VHF/UHF transmitter/ antenna.

And of course, with this goldmine of a ninja tactic, shooting ends in just a couple of days. :doh:

So true, yet I'm kind of relieved. I already feel kinda guilty for looking at all of the pictures that have come along since the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"